Shipping Costs

fox-and-the-hound

After reading a thread a moment ago asking for $5 for shipping....yes, that's right $5 for a single coin, I have to ask, "What's it costing you?" I routinely send a single coin safely and securely for about 60 cents including packaging (recycling is great) and sometimes I've even gone so far as $1.11 for a couple coins traveling together. So where are these prices coming from? I've sent multiple coins overseas for less than $5 so what gives? What are your tricks for cutting costs on shipping? How cheaply have you sent or do you send coins? Other than recycling packages, I favor wrapping a coin multiple times in cardstock paper and following up with staples and tape to be extra careful. I routinely hear positive replies upon receipt and the new postage prices actually favor this method of sending even though they're hand-sorted.

Yes, I know there's a similar thread about postal rates, but I'd like to keep this one to tricks and tips to keeping costs low. Let's hear how you're doing it. :rolleyes:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

$5 for a single coin seems high to me. However in looking at the new rates two general observations:

1. The cost of postage for a single coin package has almost doubled from Friday to Monday. The more coins in a package the smaller the increase.

2. For international if there were more than 4 or 5 coins they could go into a small global priorty package for a bit of $5.00. those are gone gone gone. Now the lowest price global priority package is $11.00 (Canada is a bit lower)

But it is like anythinge else you get to choose to pay the $5 or not. Maybe you should think of the coin being $2 more expensive and that you are paying $3.00 for S & H. . . . . . does that help? :rolleyes:

I dont know where you are, but shipping prices have jumped up. Its now .80 cents for 1 ounce .93 for 2 ounces etc.... For over seas the cost has almost doubled. I use stamps.com and I do my postage at home, but I do go to the post office daily. I hear they are going to up the rates not only by package weights but also by the size and shape of the packages. So I would have a talk with your local post office and see if it is the same for you. I know I used to ship international post for orders to Europe but now its call First class Mail International. And the shipping went up yesterday and I had to redo the ones I had on Saturday because of the jump of .32 cents; while a regular letter jumped by .2 cents.

Happy caching,

Matt from Socalgeocoins.com

Edited by SoCalGeocoins

I received my personal coins yesterday and packaged a few before leaving work so I could stop at the Post Office on the way home just to make sure the normal way I have been packaging them with placing a coin in a used bubble mailer and then placing it inside a 6"x9' mailer would fall within there new guide lines and was advised that they were thicker than the 3/4" max. allowed. for a large envelope and would have to ship the as a package at a higher rate.

On all the packages I did last night I wrapped all the coins in paper or thin card stock to keep them as flat as possible and stay within the 3/4" max thickness and mailed them out this morning as large envelopes.

The cost to ship 1 coin at 1.7 oz. was $0.97 ea. 2 coins at 2.8oz. was $1.14 and one package I had was 5.1oz which was $1.65 What was a surprise shipping one coin to Canada was only $1.00 :rolleyes: and 3 coins was $1.62 for 3.9oz.

I also shipped a few single coin packages to Germany and the cost was $1.80

So $5.00 to ship a single coin anywhere in the world is way out of line :huh:

I talked to my postmaster and he clarified that it's really the price of "packages" that is going up and "letters" are going down so the way I've been packaging them in stiff cardboard inside of a #10 envelope is actually getting cheaper. I'll try to find a picture of how I'm sending so you can see what I mean. It's been working all along and now it's cheaper so I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered similar ways to keep their packages in the "cheap" to send. :o

I just chalk it up as part of coin collecting. I don't worry to much about the cost to ship, I am more worried about the price of coins people are charging.

I couldn't agree more. I definitely strive to find the cheapest way of shipping to whatever destination, but I don't cringe at $2 or $3 to ship a coin to Germany (made up prices), if I really want the coin I'm getting in return. It's an investment in a collecting hobby. Heck, I let them charge me "package" rate today at the P.O., just so I could get delivery confirmation on the package. that took a $.97 package to $2.05. Whatever :o

Now, let's not start on what coins cost vs. what they are sold at in this thread . . .

I buy older stamps on eBay at 80-90% of face value. It usually takes a significant outlay up front to get that "discount," but it has the added bonus that people tend to enjoy the pretty stamps. The problem with that is it now takes a lot of stamps to send a geocoin - 8 stamps on the face of a 000 mailer leaves just enough space for the address and return address. The next time I'm looking for stamps, the majority will have to be 20¢ or higher.

I also skip delivery confirmation. Some folks seem to like it (I guess it proves that someone isn't trying to rip you off if they claim not to have received a package), but for me it mostly runs up the price. Having been stiffed by the PO on an insurance claim, I'm not too wild about that either.

For larger packages, somewhere over over two or three pounds, FedEx ground gets competative. I've often found it to be faster than priority mail and cheaper than parcel post. I also like that the tracking is true tracking - you can follow your box across the country. Of course, FedEx isn't a practical solution for most geocoin shipments.

When determining my shipping charges I take actual postage and add supplies and fees to it. If someone wants to pay me by check I reduce shipping the shipping cost. Below is the data I posted on the other thread associated with cost.

But basicly postage is:

US 0.80 for the fisrt oz and 0.17 for each additional oz.

Cnd 0.69 for the first oz and 0.31 for each additional oz.

Other 0.90 per oz. ( I do realize that some foriegn countries might be more but net enough to worry about)

postage.jpg

Team Sand Dollar

It would be a big help if we coin collectors overseas knew how the new US postal charges will affect the cost of packages sent to us. :)

However, in my experience, there was a big difference of opinion on what the OLD charges meant for mailing overseas, so I'm not holding my breath . . . . :o

I've just received from the US a cardboard priority paid mailer which was half split open and the coins only still there because the sender had put them in a bubble mailer inside the cardboard.

Having read through the various threads about the new mailing charges, I'm still not sure how thickness affects overseas mailing.

But I'd have to recommend that if you are mailing overseas from the US, please don't rely on a cardboard mailer getting to its destination intact!

Edited by Bunya

...However, in my experience, there was a big difference of opinion on what the OLD charges meant for mailing overseas, so I'm not holding my breath . . . . :o ...

I sent a coin to germany and managed to spend about 7 bucks or so to do it. Meanwhile the German spent about 2 bucks sending it here.

I think he was a bit more savvy on how to ship things cheaply than I was.

It would be a big help if we coin collectors overseas knew how the new US postal charges will affect the cost of packages sent to us. :(

However, in my experience, there was a big difference of opinion on what the OLD charges meant for mailing overseas, so I'm not holding my breath . . . . :anicute:

I've just received from the US a cardboard priority paid mailer which was half split open and the coins only still there because the sender had put them in a bubble mailer inside the cardboard.

Having read through the various threads about the new mailing charges, I'm still not sure how thickness affects overseas mailing.

But I'd have to recommend that if you are mailing overseas from the US, please don't rely on a cardboard mailer getting to its destination intact!

Curious to know what your cost is to send to the States? Costs me about $NZ9 to send 2 coins, bubbled wrapped, then stuck to cardboard and all that in a bubble bag to the US. One coin is about $NZ7. As if June 1st it's all going up here too! :anicute:

Also are you forced to send parcel rate? NZ Post (claiming it is international conventions) forces coins to be sent at parcel rate as only letters (and nothing but letters) are allowed to go at the letter rate.

From Canada, for normal mail (i.e. not expedited, not insured), for a coin + packing under 100 g (which is LOTS for most single coins):

Postage ($CDN) to:

Canada - $1.10

US - $1.86

International - $3.60

Plus no more than $0.50 CDN for a padded envelope.

I don't think you can split the cost of shipping from the cost of the coin. It's all marketing.

I can charge $10 for the coin and $2.00 for shipping, or I can charge $7.00 for the coin + $5.00 shipping but it's still the same total.

I just sent two coins to the UK for $1.80.

The bubble mailer cost about $0.75 (non bulk).

So, roughly $2.50 to send two coins. They got there in about 4 days, not bad at all.

$5.00 shipping as a blanket is ridiculous given that MOST coins are sold and shipped within the US. A flat rate to make things easier for the sender is OK so they lose a bit on the International and make it up on the US shipments is OK, but $5.00 is uncalled for.

Hopefully, people will continue to be vocal and not just accept if "because they have to have the coin".

It's a buyer's market - use your power.

From Canada, for normal mail (i.e. not expedited, not insured), for a coin + packing under 100 g (which is LOTS for most single coins):

Postage ($CDN) to:

Canada - $1.10

US - $1.86

International - $3.60

Plus 6% federal tax and provincial tax which is 7% from BC.

I just finished mailing the last of the GeoJellies out. I charged a flat rate of $5 shipping regardless of how many coins were ordered. International was $9.50 which was the flat rate charge weeks ago. I figured I would lose some and win some based on the number of coins ordered by everyone. I was right. There were 65 coin series made and about 35 were shipped with 2 being overseas. I lost on one going over seas and was covered by the other one. A wash in my book. For the other coins, I lost a few dollars on some and made some on others. Again it amounted to a wash.

I think people are using the raise in rates to over inflate yet another thing, this time blaming it on the USPS.

Curious to know what your cost is to send to the States? Costs me about $NZ9 to send 2 coins, bubbled wrapped, then stuck to cardboard and all that in a bubble bag to the US. One coin is about $NZ7. As if June 1st it's all going up here too! ;)

Also are you forced to send parcel rate? NZ Post (claiming it is international conventions) forces coins to be sent at parcel rate as only letters (and nothing but letters) are allowed to go at the letter rate.

Australian postal regulations define a "letter" to be up to 260mm X 360mm, less than 20mm thick and less than 500g in weight.

I wrap my coins in paper, tape them inside two layers of cardboard and then put them in a bubble mailer.

For most coins this is then under 20mm thick.

Charges to the US and Europe are

for up to 50g, A$1.95

50g to 125g, A$3.85

125g to 250g, A$5.80

250g to 500g, A$11.60.

Unless the coins are micros or light, one and two coins cost A$3.85, three and four cost A$5.80.

If I want to send anything which makes the parcel more than 20mm thick, the lowest charge is A$8.50 to the US, A$10 to Europe. ;)

I don't think you can split the cost of shipping from the cost of the coin. It's all marketing.

I can charge $10 for the coin and $2.00 for shipping, or I can charge $7.00 for the coin + $5.00 shipping but it's still the same total.

Depends where you sell it. On eBay, that commutative property of the arithmetic is not the case...

On eBay, if your coin sells for $10 you collect $12 and you pay final value fee on $10.

If your coin sells for $7, you collect $12 and pay final value fee on $7, which is less than what you'd pay if it sold for $10.

Result: more money in your pocket if you go the higher shipping route, same cost to the customer.

However, eBay takes a dim view of avoiding fees that way, so when you see people charging usurious shipping on eBay, you should report them.

For example, there's a guy on ebay right now selling coins with shipping charges of $11.50 to Canada from the US.

I talked to my postmaster and he clarified that it's really the price of "packages" that is going up and "letters" are going down so the way I've been packaging them in stiff cardboard inside of a #10 envelope is actually getting cheaper. I'll try to find a picture of how I'm sending so you can see what I mean. It's been working all along and now it's cheaper so I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered similar ways to keep their packages in the "cheap" to send. ;)

I took two packages to the PO to mail today and it was expensive. To send the coins as a letter was definitely cheaper than as a package, but they said I could not send them as a letter because they were not flexible. One coin in a bubble mailer - not flexible. Go figure. They want it flexible like paper - no tape, no cardboard. So what cost me about $1.20 to mail a couple weeks back was over $2.20 today. Same envelope, same method of mailing. ;)

Cheap method – find an automatic postal machine and choose letter. ;)

Edited by GPX Navigators

Postage ($CDN) to:

Canada - $1.10

US - $1.86

International - $3.60

Plus 6% federal tax and provincial tax which is 7% from BC.

I asked about sales tax recently and was informed that there's a certain amount of bureaucratic jiggery-pokery about tax on postage in Canada. Unfortunately, I don't remember quite what it was. I think it was "if you buy stamps over $6 worth there is no tax" or something like that. I'll try to find out what it was.

Took a large number of packages to the PO yesterday. Lucky for me the clerk and I get along real will so we spent so time figuring out what was what.

Bottom line is I mail all my coins in 6X9 bubble mailer doubled packaged with a bubble mailer inside. Her is what we agreed on.

US

Packages with 4 coin where thin enough and flexible enough to go as a first class flat. $0.80 first ox, $0.17 each additional oz

Larger packages when as first class parcel, $1.13 for the first oz, $o.17 each additional oz.

All packages heavier that 13oz had to go Priority mail for $4.60. But there is a flat rate envelope that can hold more than 16oz so this really ended up cheaper for me.

Canada

$0.69 for the first oz. $0.31 for each additional oz.

All others

$0.90 per oz

Hope this helps

Team Sand Dollar

Australian postal regulations define a "letter" to be up to 260mm X 360mm, less than 20mm thick and less than 500g in weight.

I wrap my coins in paper, tape them inside two layers of cardboard and then put them in a bubble mailer.

For most coins this is then under 20mm thick.

Charges to the US and Europe are

for up to 50g, A$1.95

50g to 125g, A$3.85

125g to 250g, A$5.80

250g to 500g, A$11.60

Yep. I'd just also like to mention that if you buy bubble mailers (Size 0), per box of 100, they only cost 36 cents each, as opposed to 90 cents! As the postie said 'Its not as if they're going to go off!' ;)

So that makes the cost of sending one coin to the US AU$1.30

Yep. I'd just also like to mention that if you buy bubble mailers (Size 0), per box of 100, they only cost 36 cents each, as opposed to 90 cents! As the postie said 'Its not as if they're going to go off!' ;)

You can pick up 25 #0 bubble mailers at SAMS Club for $5 (including tax). That works out to $0.20 each.

Team Sand Dollar

I went to mail coins yesterday and today. Different person on the counter. First was a by the book and charged me extra 34 cents because she said the size was a 1/4" too small. Today, I took the same original envelope, (had to finish addresses) but they were already taped. Figured I waould have to pay higher rate and the other counter person said "nah, they are fine" You can guess which person I will be going to from now on. :laughing:

Yep. I'd just also like to mention that if you buy bubble mailers (Size 0), per box of 100, they only cost 36 cents each, as opposed to 90 cents! As the postie said 'Its not as if they're going to go off!' :laughing:

You can pick up 25 #0 bubble mailers at SAMS Club for $5 (including tax). That works out to $0.20 each.

Team Sand Dollar

And about US$10 to get them to Australia where Cheesy pigs live :anicute:

Thanks CP for the headsup....i'll be off soon to purchase a box :unsure: Does the $1.30 price mentioned include the 36c envelope in your calculations?

mm

Yep. I'd just also like to mention that if you buy bubble mailers (Size 0), per box of 100, they only cost 36 cents each, as opposed to 90 cents! As the postie said 'Its not as if they're going to go off!' :laughing:

Team Sand Dollar

And about US$10 to get them to Australia where Cheesy pigs live :unsure:

Thanks CP for the headsup....i'll be off soon to purchase a box :back: Does the $1.30 price mentioned include the 36c envelope in your calculations?

mm

Yes Mr Monkey, 35c bubble mailer, 95c for postage. One coin travels the world for $1.30. Not bad I reckon :sad: How's your special cache coming along? :anicute:

Yes Mr Monkey, 35c bubble mailer, 95c for postage. One coin travels the world for $1.30. Not bad I reckon :P How's your special cache coming along? :anicute:

Hang on...have I missed something....

are you being charged AUD$0.95 or AUD$1.95 for posting your bubble mailers?

If I am following this right then the costs should be AUD$2.30 (packaged and mailed).

I hate it when numbers dont make sense?? :tired::sad:

Hang on...have I missed something....

are you being charged AUD$0.95 or AUD$1.95 for posting your bubble mailers?

If I am following this right then the costs should be AUD$2.30 (packaged and mailed).

I hate it when numbers dont make sense?? :P:rolleyes:

:P Sorry, I mean I am charged AUD$0.95 for postage, and the bubble mailers are AUD$0.35. A grand total of AUD$1.30 to send ONE coin anywhere in the world from Australia.

:P Sorry, I mean I am charged AUD$0.95 for postage, and the bubble mailers are AUD$0.35. A grand total of AUD$1.30 to send ONE coin anywhere in the world from Australia.

Dont be sorry - I was comparing your results with the charges that Bunya posted and things didn't seem to add up if he is being charged $1.95 for a small envelope (one coin presumably). I think I will trundle down to my own post office and see if QLD can add another twist to the tale :P:rolleyes:

thanks CP

TFN

I'm not sure if it's of interest now, but I just returned from the post office where I mailed over a half pound of coins in a number 10 envelope (well padded with multiple sheets of cardstock paper and it only cost $2.16 from PA to FL. That's not too bad. B)

I think I like the sound of this here post :D:D:D:mad::mad:B)B)

I sent a number of coins out the other day and most had to go parcel because of the riged natrure and that they were thicker than 1/4inch.

That said they were under $2.00. Sent one about 50miles north in colorado (3 coins) $1.65. The next one was to Australia (2 coins) $1.80. Looking at the new rates I decided to charge the same shipping to worldwide shipments.

This all being said I was marking up coins about $1.50 now $2.50.