Multiple maps on Garmin 60CSx

Can you have multiple maps on a Garmin 60Csx?

I have City Navigator V8 maps on it using Mapsource. Can I add other Maps (of the same area) like a topography Map?

Id like to be able to follow bike/hike trails, but not loose my Street Maps.

Is this possible?

Can i select a 'Map'? thanks

Can you have multiple maps on a Garmin 60Csx?

Yes, but there are caveats.

Can i select a 'Map'? thanks

Yes, from the map setup page in your GPSr.

Ok, Excellent info at that link.

Just so I understand, I can upload them, but need to deselect the top level to NOT see the street and for the topos to appear?

Then if i deselect the topos, the base map appear?

Lastly <for now :rolleyes: > what sets the map hierarchy?

>Just so I understand, I can upload them, but need to deselect the top level to NOT see the street and for the topos to appear?

Topo would be hidden by streetmaps, by default. So you'd have to deselect the streetmaps to see topo.

> Then if i deselect the topos, the base map appear?

Yes.

>Lastly <for now :rolleyes: > what sets the map hierarchy?

Garmin. My understanding is that the more "detailed" maps are on top. They probably mean the most $$$. :-)

Garmin. My understanding is that the more "detailed" maps are on top. They probably mean the most $$$. :-)

In fact CN Europe costs less than Topo Germany and CN is still on top. :o But there is not much sense in having both map sets displayed at once as the streets do not match exactly.

But there are transparent maps with contour lines. They will show up together with your street map.

Just for the curious: CN Europe uses 23 bits for highest detail level, Topo Germany uses 24 bits. The measured position is usually closer to the CN items (yes, I switched off road locking).

Oliver

Perhaps everyone is already aware of this; I don't know, but I just accidentally discovered it today.

On the map screen (in my 60Cx) if I do: menu -> setup map -> map setup information...

And then hit the menu button again... it gives the options to show or hide particular map sets (the entire set)...

I have five different map sets on my 60Cx right now, four of which can overlap at any given time. Two map sets are basically duplicates of each other (GPMapa Poland 4.0 and UMP's Polska set) and the other two are topo maps and Slovakia road maps.

Perhaps everyone is already aware of this; I don't know, but I just accidentally discovered it today.

On the map screen (in my 60Cx) if I do: menu -> setup map -> map setup information...

And then hit the menu button again... it gives the options to show or hide particular map sets (the entire set)...

I have five different map sets on my 60Cx right now, four of which can overlap at any given time. Two map sets are basically duplicates of each other (GPMapa Poland 4.0 and UMP's Polska set) and the other two are topo maps and Slovakia road maps.

Hey Exocet, thanks for the tip! I mainly use City Nav8 and I just got USA Topo. I was hoping there was a better way to switch back and forth without having to select/deselect individual maps. Many thanks for sharing your discovery.

Ok another question regarding mutiple maps..

I used Mapsource to add some theme park maps from http://www.stonemaps.com

along with my City Navigator Maps to my Garmin 60CSx.

If i was to get the National Geographic or my own freemaps that ive read, I assume these dont go in Via Mapsource.

From what I read, there is only on mapfile in the Garmin folder of my SD chip -

SO if i want to add these other maps, will I wind up erasing the Mapsource maps?

Do I need to stick with Mapsource TOPO maps since the City Navigator Maps are LOCKED?

You should try the theme park maps. I have Snowranger maps of Colorado ski resorts, and it shows up under mapsource. The snowranger folder is not in the Garmin directory, but it still is on my list of maps. I use it to load the maps of the resorts I want to run.

You should try the theme park maps. I have Snowranger maps of Colorado ski resorts, and it shows up under mapsource. The snowranger folder is not in the Garmin directory, but it still is on my list of maps. I use it to load the maps of the resorts I want to run.

I have the theme park maps for Florida. I thought it be great to know where the bathrooms and rides are in disney and seaworld.

The theme park maps are Mapsource compatible so I thought they were in the Garmin Mapfile..

I was wondering what happens when you try to load 'other' non Mapsource maps...

I have the theme park maps for Florida. I thought it be great to know where the bathrooms and rides are in disney and seaworld.

The theme park maps are Mapsource compatible so I thought they were in the Garmin Mapfile..

I was wondering what happens when you try to load 'other' non Mapsource maps...

No, what you're wondering is what happens when you try to load other non "Garmin" maps.

So, yeah, how DO you get those other funny maps into MapSource, eh...?

Visit http://elysion.pl/bz_blog.html ...scroll down to the "Sat Jul 22 00:51:06" entry.

You are forewarned: this is a bit of a complicated process. If you start looking at it and go cross-eyed then just give up now, ok? Otherwise if you slog through my instructions (mostly to myself - I've a horrible memory) then you should be rewarded with maps that work.

Initially the Snowranger maps wiped out your other maps.

From the Snowranger site-

SnowRanger now "MapSource-friendly"

Several potential customers have asked whether our SnowRanger GPS ski resort maps can be used on their GPSes at the same time as Garmin MapSource maps such as MetroGuide or MapSource Topo.

As initially packaged, the SnowRanger maps and sets come with a loader that puts the maps directly onto a compatible GPS. This has the advantage of simplicity, and the user does not need to own a copy of MapSource, but since the maps replace any other maps that may have been previously put on the GPS, it was not exactly "MapSource-friendly". Rich Owings drew attention to this in his gps tracklog blog.

So we are pleased to announce that today we released new "Setup" packaging for SnowRanger that includes the original loader but also installs the resort maps into a user's copy of MapSource if they have one. Now you can mix and match SnowRanger, MetroGuide, Topo, and any other MapSource maps that you may have!

So what make the maps Mapsource friendly?

Thats a good question, I would like to know that also.

I was just about to say I did not have to go through any complicated process to have Snowranger show up in Mapsource.

Interesting.....

If i was to get the National Geographic or my own freemaps that ive read, I assume these dont go in Via Mapsource.

Be careful on National Geographic and similar map software. NG will tell you that there maps 'work with' verious GPS units. What they generally means is that the software can download waypoints and routes, but not maps! If you get non-Garmin software maps, make sure the maps themselves can be downloaded to the handheld, and get a return commitment if that provies not to be the case.

> If i was to get the National Geographic or my own freemaps that ive read, I assume these dont go in Via Mapsource.

The NG maps "don't go" at all, so that's not an issue. There are tools available to make Garmin-compatible maps loadable by Mapsource. It usually involves work.

Or you can use sendmap20 if you are not uploading maps that you need to preserve autorouting in.

> From what I read, there is only on mapfile in the Garmin folder of my SD chip -

> SO if i want to add these other maps, will I wind up erasing the Mapsource maps?

Kinda. But even after you upload both sets of maps there will STILL be only one mapfile like that on your SD card.

> Do I need to stick with Mapsource TOPO maps since the City Navigator Maps are LOCKED?

I do. If you need updated streetmaps, note that MetroGuide is about 90% as good as CN, once you convince it to autoroute. There are small differences (CN beats MG at roundabouts, for example).

They just need to be in the right format, basically. Just like how Photoshop doesn't read .DOC files.

It's a little more complicated than that because MapSource is such a poor product that's been extended and had stuff grafted on to it but essentially, with the files in the right format and presented in the right way to MapSource ...it'll all work. Just like having a copy of City Navigator or Metroguide.

{editing - I misread the question}

It is worthwhile to point out that being Garmin-GPSr-friendly and being MapSource-Friendly are not the same thing. I'd say all mapsource-friendly maps are Garmin GPSr friendly, but not the other way 'round.

Many maps are Garmin-compatible but no one has written the tool to automate the mapsource hack to make it mapsource-loadable. You could use Sendmap20 instead.

Edited by fratermus

Thanks all for your help..

I got the multiple maps working with Mapsource using these instructions

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

It worked great with the MAPS that were freely available in .img format, but making the maps with the USGS data takes forever!

Ill be just buying the TOPO maps for the 100$.

Whats the difference betweek the 24K and 100K maps?

I want get maps to go hiking and biking with, so detail is what I want...

Whats the difference betweek the 24K and 100K maps?

1:76,000 :-) Couldn't resist.

There is a wiki article with a discussion of how scale is used, described, labeled.

I want get maps to go hiking and biking with, so detail is what I want...

The 24K larger-scale maps will have more detail but do not cover CONUS. 100k smaller-scale has more coverage and less detail. All are visible on Garmins map previewer dealie.

Hey Exocet, thanks for the tip! I mainly use City Nav8 and I just got USA Topo. I was hoping there was a better way to switch back and forth without having to select/deselect individual maps. Many thanks for sharing your discovery.

OK---I'm hoping to find the answers without starting a new topic, but while I tried this means of switching between topo and CN8, it won't work for me--I can't seem to have both Topo and CN8 on the unit at the same time. If I transfer a TOPO mapset to the receiver, it deletes the street maps and vice-versa.

Any advice?

OK---I'm hoping to find the answers without starting a new topic, but while I tried this means of switching between topo and CN8, it won't work for me--I can't seem to have both Topo and CN8 on the unit at the same time. If I transfer a TOPO mapset to the receiver, it deletes the street maps and vice-versa.

Any advice?

Transfer both maps at the same time.

In MapSource, do: Tools -> Map

Select the map pieces you want from CN8 or Topo.

Switch to the other map in the left-hand drop-down menu.

Again, select the map pieces you want.

Transfer -> Send to Device.

That should be all that's needed. There is no other way to load locked + unlocked sets of maps into a Garmin GPSr other than the way I just described. There are other ways if both sets of maps are unlocked, but this is obviously not the case here.

Any advice?

That should be all that's needed. There is no other way to load locked + unlocked sets of maps into a Garmin GPSr other than the way I just described. There are other ways if both sets of maps are unlocked, but this is obviously not the case here.

Cool--that worked. Thanks!

Until I found this thread, I've been grumbling (for a couple months) that I couldn't have my cake and eat it too. Once again, this forum's members have really helped me out.

Any advice?

Cool--that worked. Thanks!

Until I found this thread, I've been grumbling (for a couple months) that I couldn't have my cake and eat it too. Once again, this forum's members have really helped me out.

I followed these step but only see CN8 on my 60CSx - any help appreciated.

Thx,

Goofy