Big caches

I'm thinking of hiding a giant cache, not just an ammo can, but one about 4 times the size. any ideas on where to hide this monster? and what to put in it?

I've seen a number of great big ones hidden deep in the woods. I had one that did pretty well for a while. Unfortunately, they eventually built houses nearby and it got muggled.

The beauty about a big cache is that you can put bigger stuff in it. I used mine as a book trading cache.

Hide it far away from where it might accidently be found. Deep in the woods, a good distance from any trail or road is a good bet.

Though the Maryland A.P.E. cache was huge and lasted a long time not far from a trail, but it was eventually stolen.

A big container can fit things like books and hats.

I've been thinking about doing one like this too but placing it under ground with a well-camoed lid structure that could withstand people walking over it.

That's not a bad idea...I was thinking five gallon pail with a screw lid,buried up to about a foot or so of the lid,and texture camo it to look like the forest floor.

You might want to review the guidelines regarding caches that are buried.
It would require no digging or pointy objects,only unscrewing the lid.
Technically, it wouldn't be "buried" though.
As long as it doesnt require 'digging or pointy objects' to place it or log it, you are likely OK. Edited by sbell111

I'm thinking of hiding a giant cache, not just an ammo can, but one about 4 times the size. any ideas on where to hide this monster? and what to put in it?

This is a chicken or the egg thingy. This is just my own personal style, but I think it's more effective to find the area and ask yourself "what is the best cache for this area?" Rather than find a cache and look for an area for it. Especially if you can fit a body into the cache like the one you are suggesting. As far as what to put into it.. this should be the fun part of placing a cache like this. Give it some thought, there's tons of stuff that would make people smile.

Someday, I'd love to find a big cache hidden in plain sight in a non-wooded urban area. It's possible, but it would have to be a very unique situation.... I'm not going to say who hid it (a reg here) or where but I have knowledge of a cache that is in the middle of a major downtown area that is a 3x3' box...of sorts. There's a lock and you need a combination to get in. I wish I could say more but I promised not to, this hide has genius written all over it.

Edited by Team GeoBlast
As long as it doesnt require 'digging or pointy objects' to place it or log it, you are likely OK.

Precisely why I familarized myself with the guidelines before brainstorming cache ideas for when I get home.Don't let the joined date fool you...I've been lurking on GC long before june 06. :rolleyes:

*edit*

Right, what vtmtnman said...it wouldn't require digging.

In the next revision of the guidelines I suggest that the guideling be clarified

Caches that are buried. If require digging with a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches are often"buried" under leaves, stick, rocks, etc. and everyone knows they are allowed. Cache that are partly submerged with only a lid exposed, may not be technically "buried" but are in the opinion of most (including most reviewers) in violation of the guideline.

When Leave No Trace (LNT.org) says I should dig a hole to dispose of human waste (where appropriate)

in most locations, burying human feces in the correct manner is the most effective method to meet these criteria. Solid human waste must be packed out from some places, such as narrow river canyons. Land management agencies can advise you of specific rules for the area you plan to visit.

I find it hard to understand why digging a hole for a cache is so bad. My rule would be that if it's OK to bury your waste then its OK to dig a hole to hide your caches. :rolleyes:

Edited by tozainamboku

How do you get it in the ground in the first place?

There are lots of natural "holes" in the ground. :rolleyes:

After multiple searches I finally found the right search phrase to get the ruling:

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Too bad it's so restricting...

Edited by egami

Look for a large bedstone area with large horizontal fissures. Then just build a good solid "door" that could be placed over one of these fissures to hide your extra large container. The cache we get the most "it's gone missing" reports has never moved but is often overlooked because of it's placement at eye level without any camo other than being in a good horizontal fissure and it's a full size ammocan to boot! :rolleyes:

My candidate for a REALLY LARGE cache continer would be a bunker with a trapdoor, much akin tothe mysterious "bunker" on the TV show "Island", and any cache hunter who finds the cache would need to keep pressing the button every 20 minutes until the next cacher came along, if they wished to prevent the earth from beling blown up.

My candidate for a REALLY LARGE cache continer would be a bunker with a trapdoor, much akin tothe mysterious "bunker" on the TV show "Island", and any cache hunter who finds the cache would need to keep pressing the button every 20 minutes until the next cacher came along, if they wished to prevent the earth from beling blown up.

Do you mean 'Lost'?

Ok, scratch that one....I thought it was for finding only...forgot.Apologies. :o

Back to the caching board....

We could do man hole cover caches and start the next "hate" trend here. :o

:rolleyes:

B):DB)B):huh:B)

New thread-

MHC...the new evil

You're giving me nightmares when you talk this way. :huh:

Ok, scratch that one....I thought it was for finding only...forgot.Apologies. :o

Back to the caching board....

We could do man hole cover caches and start the next "hate" trend here. :o

:rolleyes:

:DB)B):huh:B)B)

New thread-

MHC...the new evil

You're giving me nightmares when you talk this way. :huh:

Yeah, but just think about all the new hide site that it would open up. :D

Edited by Totem Clan

How do you get it in the ground in the first place?

Obviously digging a hole.But the finder wouldn't need any tools,only to unscrew the lid,as the pail would have a threaded lid.

Then that would be a guideline violation. You can't dig to hide or find a cache.

Just because its a rule (digging to place/retrieve) doesn't mean that its followed. Just like all the other rules, I have seen this rule violated.

What can you do? When you are dealing with local cachers if you say anything it will just tick people off. :o

You can shoot an email to your reviewer.

My first cache "breaks" that rule. GC10FKE But, really, it doesn't. It has a stone marker that has (had) the geocaching logo on it (until the kids knocked the gems cemented on off) and it isn't buried. But the cache is under it. Lift the stone and voila, cache. No digging for the finder. and hidden in plain sight. I was trying to make the stone the lid of the cache but just couldn't figure out how.

The dimensions I'm talking about are maybe a one foot diameter and about three to four feet tall. Its an old artillery ammo can that I got at an event in a raffle.

One of the neat caches I saw a guy working on that he hadn't place yet was approx. this size. It was box shaped, but he was completely camo covering it to make it looke like a piece of mossy covered wood...it was really incredible.

The dimensions I'm talking about are maybe a one foot diameter and about three to four feet tall. Its an old artillery ammo can that I got at an event in a raffle.

If you're planning a woods hide shoot a PM to Clan Riffster.He's the man when it comes to camoing ammo cans and I'm sure he'd offer great advice to you.

Just because its a rule (digging to place/retrieve) doesn't mean that its followed. Just like all the other rules, I have seen this rule violated.

What can you do? When you are dealing with local cachers if you say anything it will just tick people off. :(

If your not the reviewer, then you don't have to be the police! Let them be the bad guys, and you be the good guy! A lot of reviewers are annoymous so it's not like they are losing friends by enforcing the rules. The same people that get mad at them for archiving their cache for bury guidelines, are their friends at events because they have different player/reviewer names on the internet, and their friends don't know they are the reviewer.

Not the case in everybody, but in most situations.

I'm currently thinking of a big cache, but I want to hide mine high in the trees! How many cachers look up when hunting?

The biggest problem is not the container or the pulley to pull the container up, but where to bring the rope down and tied off for the cacher to lower. Also, how to keep the container safe so it doesn't fall on someone :-(