Luxury Items

My luxury items mostly fit in the category of "not being an ultra-light" person. I carry the vestibule for my tent, not usually required, but makes for a spacious and cozy setup when it rains. I carry a 3 lb first aid kit, loaded - I guess maybe that's not too obsessive since I'm often solo...a candle lantern (there are lighter smaller options for light but I like candlelight), a repair kit that allows me to start a textile mill if I wanted to, I'm thinking about espresso machine but haven't taken that plunge yet (coffee being an absolute survival item, though). I always take my flute. Actually my GPS is often a luxury item because on those short-that's-all-the-time-I-have backpacks on well marked trails that I've used before, it really isn't necessary, but I like to play with it (although for now I am sans GPS, having dumped it in the New River, VA, this August in a canoe mishap and haven't gotten around to replacing it). About 1/2 the time I take a book.

A gallon size ziploc baggie containing a thin pair of flip flops and some wet wipes to wash the dust off my feet before climbing into my sleeping bag. It feels SO good to get out of the boots and wiggle my toes and the wet wipes always feel so refreshing on my tired feet. (And if I have to 'water the plants' in the middle of the night, its quick and easy to slide into the flip flops rather than mess with the boots and laces.)

:)

The two luxury items I am carrying this up and coming weekend is a larger then required tent (4person instead of 2person) and a sheet of plastic/extra rope.

It is suppose to rain all weekend. Dry indoor space and a reasonably sheltered cooking area will be really nice after hiking all day in the rain.

Amen.

It did rain, and was pretty cold (~2'C). Going to add a sleeping mat to the list for next time.

The hard ground wasn't a big deal. The cold, hard ground was with my light sleeping bag.

Depending on the definition of "luxury" I bring strange stuff... :P Some would consider some of them nessecary or at least in some situations:

Hand crank radio (great for music but also good with weather reports and news).

Survival Handbook (great for reading and e.g. practicing building and setting traps if bored but also invaluable in case of emergencies).

(Also) inflatable pillow.

PRM Radio(s)

Beer

My mom once filled my car up with corn on the cob and zucchini while I was on the way to a week long pack through the Uintas. I didn't want them to go to waste so I tied the grocery bags they were in on my pack. It was quite a pain from the extra 10lbs and fragile plastic bags but ohhh so good stripping a few corn husks off a cob, wrapping a zucchini in them soaking them in water and then tossing them both on some coals.

My longest vice was a hospital grade "disposable" 4 inch air cell mattress designed for those immobile patients with bed sores. Way more heavy than a Neoair but better than sleeping on a cloud! I cried when I left it in the sun fully inflated and pinholed a seam. :D

I dont do overnight stops, as theres no need around here (although they are nice on occasion). Tend to go as light as possible, one luxury item is a very short wired set of headphones to plug into my phone so I can tune into the radio. Usual gear- survival bag, 1st aid kit, lighter, penknife, torch, whistle, string, tape, batteries, gps, pen, map, compass, paper, extra top layer, waterproofs, food, spare food, water tablets, 1.5lt water. Cant think of anything I could safely get rid of!

Just need to get some lighter boots....

Luxury items:

B&B (Beer and Bourbon)

C&C (Cigars and Coffee)

At the very least, I bring C&C...YMMV :)

I don't consider coffee as a luxury item. A warm drink helps get the day started and takes no space.

Nothing better then flavored instant coffee when it's cold in the morning.

Edited by Mike & Jess

My DSLR camera + lenzes, spare battery, flash, etc.

It weighs ALOT, but being able to take a decent picture from time to time is great. On my last trip I hung it's bag over my backpack.

It's only a bit risky when crossing rivers etc, but then we pack everything in ziplock bags anyway ^^

My DSLR camera + lenzes, spare battery, flash, etc.

It weighs ALOT, but being able to take a decent picture from time to time is great. On my last trip I hung it's bag over my backpack.

It's only a bit risky when crossing rivers etc, but then we pack everything in ziplock bags anyway ^^

I would be a bit concerned about slips and falls with it on my back. I amost brought mine with me on the last trip, but was glad I didn't when I slipped on a rock and landed on my pack.

That being said, I would have loved to have my L series lens up on the top if Ishpatina Ridge.

My regular outdoor trips are 3-4 days canoe-camping trips, to get to a geocache.

I bring a 10'x12' ultralight nylon tarp and a 120' rope to set it up.

Staying dry in any condition is my luxury.

On a another note, I will stretch food to stay out an extra day when the weather is great but I'll backtrack home quickly if toilet paper is running short :anicute:

When its just me or with friends: my titanium flask filled with 18 yo Caol Ila.

I've been meaning to try the Caol Ila. Bunnahabhain got me addicted to Islays, and I recently found a local liquor store that carries it.

Where did you get the titanium?

They're pretty pricey...

http://tinyurl.com/4cbwy5f

That's OK. My wife is always wanting ideas for christmas, anniversary, etc. She finds me "hard to buy for", and this will go well with the 18 yo Yamazaki she got me last year.

Yep. But I'm only 21 so please forgive me.

Flask of whiskey (whatever bottle I have at the moment)

Stable meat, usually smoked or cooked (whatever I can get at the butcher shop and smells/tastes amazing)

Cheese!

Sanitary wipes for your rear

Some type of musical instrument (or at least make sure someone has one)

Couple ClifBars or LaraBars (sugar is really needed after a few days, plus they never really get too mushy)

Metal water bottle

Some paperback book

Eco friendly shower gel (works fine in a lake)

Moleskine notebook

Lubricant (comes in handy in odd situations)

I carry this stuff since I don't bring too many pairs of clothes or much hydrated food. My trips never last more than a week as well, so two or three changes is good enough for me. I'm sure I'm screwing up somewhere but I'll learn.

Just a little tip about eco-friendly soaps:

Lately the recommendation is to not use your eco-friendly soaps in the lake or streaming water but rather soap down and rinse off about 50 feet away allowing it to filter through the ground. The soaps still require a few days to weeks to breakdown and the result is foaming debris downstream of your bath water.