2.57 firmware for the Explorist 500 European model

Many of us have loaded this firmware and like it. See the past topics on this.

What you get is extra screens similar to what the Meridian series had. You can also choose which screens show when you move among them. Most people like the screen page that has 6 user data fields that you choose. It is called the "Data" screen. I like this and the "Speed" Screen, which has an analog speedometer, Odometer and 4 data fields (I choose Speed, Avg Speed, Velocity Made Good, and Max Speed.)

After seeing Allory's caution about the 210 firmware, I tried to download the European 2.57 firmware. I got up to a page where they were asking me to register my 500 with them. I didn't pursue it further, so I don't know if I could have registerd my 500 there and proceed to the download or not.

Anyway, the main point of this post was to check the size of the download. If it is something large (i.e., around 10MB or so), that implies the European basemap is included. You may end up with a basemap that you don't want.

The NA basemap could be reinstalled without too much difficulty, but it's a bit of a hassle.