Downloading PQ's

We just got a laptop for when we go on trips so we can look for new caches & log the ones we found & also download PQ's....Everything works fine here when I do a PQ & download it into GSAK..But when we were on the road at hotels connected to their internet...I would do a PQ get the e-mail & when I went to download it I would get this message

"Microsft Internet Explorer

X Internet Explorer cannot download from 207.45.9.124

Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site.The requested site was either unavailable or not found.Please try again "

I tried at every hotel we were at ....NOTHING ...When I got home I tried again & everything worked fine ..

Thanks in advance

I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express for e-mail; moreover, I like to use Gmail when I'm on the road, because it's web-based, and you don't need a home ISP to use it. You can, however, query your home ISP's post office and download your mail, if it's a POP3 server.

I recently visited my daughter and requested a PQ to be sent to my gmail account. No problem. download direct to My Documents, then open it in GSAK.

I'm not sure if you can request a gmail account directly from www.gmail.com, but if not, drop me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you an invitation to try it. Note: I only have a limited number of invitations, so please don't everyone jump on the bandwagon!

cheers,

ve1bvd

I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express for e-mail; moreover, I like to use Gmail when I'm on the road, because it's web-based, and you don't need a home ISP to use it. You can, however, query your home ISP's post office and download your mail, if it's a POP3 server.

I can't tell if you're letting them know that Gmail can poll your pop3 server or not (it can) or that they can directly poll their pop3 server (they can, assuming the hotspot isn't blocking that spot).

In hotspots I tend to set up an ssh tunnel and ram all my http and other traffic through it to a linux box back home. Mmmm, encrypted goodness. Also bypasses all the nanny port blocking.

When you're at home, does your laptop work fine for downloading PQs or are you using a desktop at home for downladoing PQs? Since IE cannot download from an address, can I assume your using web-based email? If not, are you using an IMAP with an email client such as Outlook or Outlook Express?

The best thing to use is a VPN service when out on unprotected internet connections. Like fratermus has stated, it will help bypass any blocking that the network might be using.

OK everyone....everything you are saying is greek to me (sorry) ...I have my PQ's sent to my msn mail account ....as I have msn on my home puter but not on the laptop I have Microsoft Internet Explorer....when on the road to open & download a PQ I open Microsoft Internet Explorer & try to download from there.....at home everything works fine ...I also have a verizon account but I never tried downloading from that one ....do you think that might have work

I'm not sure if you can request a gmail account directly from www.gmail.com, but if not, drop me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you an invitation to try it. Note: I only have a limited number of invitations, so please don't everyone jump on the bandwagon!

You can get a Gmail account directly--they require a mobile number

If your laptop works at home, but not at the hotel, then the hotel is probably blocking certain things. however, if your laptop does not download the PQs from your connection at home, then something is wrong with your computer. If that is the case, you could try and install MSN, reinstall IE, or another browser such as Firefox.

P.S. IE should work just fine without MSN isntalled.

If your laptop works at home, but not at the hotel, then the hotel is probably blocking certain things. however, if your laptop does not download the PQs from your connection at home, then something is wrong with your computer. If that is the case, you could try and install MSN, reinstall IE, or another browser such as Firefox.

P.S. IE should work just fine without MSN isntalled.

Yes my laptop downloads just fine when I am at home ...it was just when I tried at a hotel....this is the 1st time we tried this ...just wondering if I was doing something wrong.....Is there anything I can do so I can download when I am away from home????

Thanks

I use Gmail and never have any problems. I wonder if u tried compressed vrs uncompressed files. Sometimes .zip files inadvertently get blocked. I know in the PQ setting you can choose if you want the files compressed. Maybe give that a try.

so what do I do just unclick the box next to where it says compress files....I will try anything ....Thanks