DC Metro Caches

Silny Jako Bek

I will be visiting DC for a conference this weekend and I would like to find some caches in Maryland and Virginia along with some in DC. As I will not have a car, caches close to the Metro line in either of these states are what I am looking for. Any suggestions?

And I know that Maryland isn't spelled Meryland.... :blink:

Edited by Silny Jako Bek

Silny Jako Bek,

Unfortunately because of security concerns in the Washington-DC area, there aren't really many caches around the metro stations or in DC itself. Most of the caches in DC are virtual caches, which are actually really great for visitors because they give you a chance to see some of the most wonderful parts of our nations capitol. As for the metro caches, there are a few in Maryland, but not many, and most are a good walk from the station. Also, a few of the caches closest to the stations have disappeared. If you had a car in the area though, going down Rockville Pike (355) from Gaithersburg, Maryland right into DC, you hit more than 40 caches within 1 mile from the road (multiply that if you go even further)!! Let me know if you want me to do up a bookmark list (it may take a bit of time... lots of caches), or want any more help navigating the area.

Enjoy your stay!

Hybridgeek

There are definitely caches in Maryland within walking distance from both the Twinbrook and Grosvenor Metro stations (western leg of the red line).

Also, the "there are few/no non-virtual caches in D.C." is a big myth. Most of the caches in the tourist areas around the Mall and monuments are virtuals, but there are close to 40 physical geocaches in Washington, D.C. Many of these are accessible by MetroRail, pretty much all of them by Metrobus if you're willing to figure out the bus routes and schedules.

JPatton's bookmark list posted a couple posts up is probably the best list of caches close to Metro. MetroRail is also displayed quite nicely in Google Earth, so if you turn on the appropriate Transportation/Transit layer and use the Geocaching Network KML, it can give you a pretty good idea of where caches are near various stations throughout the D.C. area.

If you want non-virtual caches near the Mall, I might suggest 2 caches I have adopted: Coconuts (GCKFCR) and Animal Crackers (GCKFX4). In Chinatown, another cache that tends to prove popular with out-of-town visitors is Spy Hard-Booth (GCWQ4C).

With so many people visiting D.C., we tend to get these same questions a lot, I'm hoping to get some info posted on a web site soon.