travel bug game

5inCalif4Geo

We're relative newbies, but have noticed that some members really enjoy the numbers game aspect of geocaching and that travel bugs are not always moved as fast or in the right direction as some people would like.

With these things in mind, we've wondered if there has been an attempt to coax an additional geogame along. To keep it simple, but fun, a travel bug/coin game could award:

100 points for a find of a travel bug or geocoin at a cache

25 points for a discover (excluding discovers at group events)

After 14 days of holding a travel bug/coin a point a day would be subtracted

25 points would be given for moving a bug/coin to another cache on the same date

(But no points given for a quick check in/out just to rack up these travel points)

50 points could be deducted from the dropper of bug/coin within 14 days by the owner for blatantly not moving the bug/coin according to its goal. Examples of deduction could be for such things as a bug wants to go to beaches, but is dropped at a dirt bike trail area (this just happened to one of mine) Only 50 points would be deducted in case the mover did not know of the bug's intended goal (some bugs do not have goals attached to them).

Possibly a highlighted sign could appear by a dropper who contests the 50 point deduction and/or a volunteer member could mitigate the occassional disputes

25 points awarded for a download of the bug/coin at the cache

I do like this idea but it seems to be a bit complicated for the site to manage. But you are right we need to have members move bugs more. I am many times guilty of not moving a bug for about a week depending on obligations. I do have a cache that is listed at 111 feet from my home that is my bug drop when I have had it too long.

I just released my first 4 bugs and hope to see them log some serious miles. So far only one has been picked up by anyone. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

What would these points get you? There would have to be a reward system or it's just numbers.

I have to agree... some sort of system to help TB's keep moving might be helpful, but I can think of one draw-back right off-hand.

If the points were to equal up to money (ex: 1000 points = $10 at Groundspeak.com store) then it would be too easy for groups to pop up that would trade TB tracking numbers, and the TB get virtually moved around the world, all for money.

If the points aren't money... what else could they be? So many points adds time on to your geocaching.com membership? (Which is still money, in a sense.)

Sounds pretty complicated. Who would keep track of whether the cacher who picked up the bug dropped it off in an appropriate cache? I would like to get rid of the "discovered" aspect of tb's and geocoins. I think it's sort of ridiculous to get credit for "discovering" hundreds of bugs at events, where all you have to do is write the numbers down, then log them in - just for new icons. I've been guilty of "discovering" them in caches before, to be honest, and I always feel guilty about it. Someone shouldn't get credit unless they physically move that coin or bug to a new cache. I know I don't like it when I see my bugs/coins get "discovered" when I really want someone to move it out of that cache that it's been sitting in for six months.