Elitists - You know who you are...

I don't think this was the case. I had never met any of the people at the table before and they would have no way of recognizing me unless they had pulled up my profile and memorized the picture which I highly doubt.
So you want to hold accountable and berate a bunch of buddies just being buddies and BSing about a bunch of BS and expect them to be sensitive to some nerve they struck on someone they don't even know?????
The logic of your post doesn't hold up, in my opinion. As far as I can tell, it excuses anyone from screaming insensitive and inflammatory epithets as long as they don't know anyone that is within earshot.

Surely, this is not your position, is it?

I don't care what your opinion or what you think is logical, but I will defend your right to say it. Just as I do these guys and just as I do the OP. I hardly think the situation was blown out of proportion as you do because I was a lot closer to it than you. So the description of "screaming epithets" is a bit of a stretch.

Ok, I am still vaguely confused as to what TRIGO really is...

Their charter message on the Yahoo! group states:

TRIGO is a (dis)organization of geocaching enthusiasts in southwestern Pennsylvania. We’re not sure what TRI-GO stands for but we think that it could be an acronym for Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization or something like that. The purpose of this group will be to coordinate events and promote geocaching in our area. There are no dues or anything like that because we want to keep this club free and fun....Unlike geo-cliques that pretend to be "open-minded", TRIGO does not exclude anybody or their opinions from our forum. Anyone interested in geocaching in SWPA can join us in our disorganization.

- Phil Trigo, Virtual President.

Yet, I read a couple TRIGO members here that seem to be voicing contradicting views from what that statement says to me. Not that I am accusing them of being a clique...because honestly, I don't have a problem with cliques...people can gather how they please, to each their own.

But, it would seem to me, from reading this statement, that TRIGO members would be open-minded enough not to care about any kind of "anti-crap" policy which even after reading their comments here I am still confused by their actually definition of "crap", but more confused as to why they'd label caches as "crap" if they are truly just open-minded about including everyone...once you set a standard you inherently exclude someone. Which, again, I have no problem with, but just be up front about it (and maybe they clarify this in their forums or on their website somewhere...all I found was the statement printed above on the Yahoo! groups).

TRIGO will allow anyone to be a member and to express their views on caching. It doesn't say they will encourage all kinds of caching styles, but you will be allowed to come into their forums and express your opinion. Don't expect to get a lot of support, but don't expect to be banned from the group, either. That is not the case with all geocaching organizations.

Ok, fair enough, but the statement can be somewhat misleading to where people will read a certain degree of that into it. You'd be better off just emphatically stating what your purpose is...which, I still haven't managed to determine exactly, but it apparently has something to do with raising the bar for quality caching. Then subsequently state that people with differing views are allowed and won't be bannished for having a different view.

It's great that you have an open arms policy. Didn't realize it was a problem in the geocaching community.

But some people will interpret a "higher standard" mentality as being close-minded.

Gee, and I still remember when we Military types were the only ones out in the woods with nothing more that grid coordinates, a map and a compass looking for sticks with numbers on them. Having a GPS sure made it easy to get to a rally point before the bad guys in Panama, Desert Storm, Iraq and other places I can't mention, but alas no McToys at GZ. I have been at this hide and seek game since 83' and I know many who beat me by more than a few years. So to all of you newcomers enjoying this civilian activity I say play nice, all of us oldtimers are watching how 'our' game is evolving.

O-Mega

Cool, I didn't know the military was into letterboxing. :lol:

Sure we were, but instead of stamp and pad, we just "secured" ground zero via the most expedient means available.

Ever see what a one five five does to a piece of Tupperware? :D

That's why the is no evidentiary proof of military letterboxing. :(:P

Gee, and I still remember when we Military types were the only ones out in the woods with nothing more that grid coordinates, a map and a compass looking for sticks with numbers on them. Having a GPS sure made it easy to get to a rally point before the bad guys in Panama, Desert Storm, Iraq and other places I can't mention, but alas no McToys at GZ. I have been at this hide and seek game since 83' and I know many who beat me by more than a few years. So to all of you newcomers enjoying this civilian activity I say play nice, all of us oldtimers are watching how 'our' game is evolving.

O-Mega

:P:lol:

Nice...this never even dawned on me.The land nav course was ammo cans on engineer stakes!I've been caching since 99! :D:lol::(

Woohoo! Caching since the mid-80's here! Now, I can really, really be an intolerant, microphobic old timer. :lol:

Caching since '75.

"It aint real cachin' unless the commie <family friendlies> owners fire back." :lol:

TRIGO does not exclude anybody or their opinions from our forum. Anyone interested in geocaching in SWPA can join us in our disorganization.

- Phil Trigo, Virtual President.

True, FOP excludes no one, not even little old me... but that doesn't mean they won't attack and belittle you if you don't do things their way! :(

Don't recognize "FOP" acronymn...excuse the newbishness.

As to the latter...I guess if you advertise you are open to anyone yet have a standard then that comes with the territory. I think some people will read into that as being "close-minded".

Personally, I don't care...I was mainly just trying to figure out exactly what TRIGO's position is on caching.

Ultimately the solution is to be seen as part of the elite, a member of the 'in' group, and you'll be accepted.

Here's what you do... let folks know from the start that you are in the know.

In this case it all revolves around your friendship with Phil Trigo.

If you are buddies with Phil, you're in and nobody will snub you.

You don't have to actually meet Phil, just tell folks that you have. Sorta like sneaking into a medical convention to get the free buffet... you don't have to be a doctor to be accepted as one, just show up and act like you have the secrets to life, the universe and everything and they'll assume you to be one of them.

I recommend that you don't try to be be discrete, let the world know that you are a Friend Of Phil by wearing a name tag that says FOP.

When people see your FOP tag you will be known and accepted.

I can't explain it in writing, so at your next event with these folks ask them to show you the secret FOP handshake by which we all know one another.

Try it, it works!

Ed

Proud to be a FOP

And if they don't know the secret handshake, invent one to prove that you're the elite and they're newbie pond scum. :(

I still have a problem with a table full of people that will openly berate cachers that don't cache their way, then whine in the forums when they are confronted.

If that is what TRI-GO is about, then I can offer only my pity.

So people are not allowed to express their opinions now?

Wow! This thread is flying! I'll admit up front that I've only read page one and page five, so if I'm double posting what someone else says, sorry... :(

Here in New Hampshire I've not experienced an elitist attiude in the "old school" geocachers. Granted, most "old school" geocachers here are probably considered "newbies" by geocachers elsewhere, but wherever you go there will be that division between "old school" and "newbie." I've only been to one event, but it was an event to help start off a statewide geocaching organization, which I am spearheading. I was terrified that when it came time for the "business" end of the meet, which I lead, someone would stand up and say "Who the heck are you? Sit down, you don't know what you're talking about." Maybe this didn't happen because I'd done my homework. Maybe this didn't happen because nobody else wanted to take charge. Maybe those that would have said it didn't bother to come, but most of the high profile geocachers in the area were there (the one notable exception went caching with me the following week and apologized for not being able to make it), but the impression I got from everyone there was that every person there, from the people that had thousands of finds to the guy who stood up and said "This event is my first geocache," was on a level playing field.

How does this tie into the direction this thread seems to be going, talking about (micro/"nerdy cachers"/lame location/insert angst-y topic here)? I don't know. What does occur to me is that someone with zero hides who's coming into this forum to see what caching is about is gonna be turned off by this thread, and that's a sad thing, because in my opinion, events like the one that spurred this thread are rare and that geocachers are generally a good bunch of folks I'd be happy to hang out with any day. :P

I still have a problem with a table full of people that will openly berate cachers that don't cache their way, then whine in the forums when they are confronted.

So people are not allowed to express their opinions now?

I don't think it was the expression of opinion she took issue with. I think it's the manner in which it was done....(allegedly, I haven't personally seen it...just clarifying).

Edited by egami
I don't think this was the case. I had never met any of the people at the table before and they would have no way of recognizing me unless they had pulled up my profile and memorized the picture which I highly doubt.
So you want to hold accountable and berate a bunch of buddies just being buddies and BSing about a bunch of BS and expect them to be sensitive to some nerve they struck on someone they don't even know?????
The logic of your post doesn't hold up, in my opinion. As far as I can tell, it excuses anyone from screaming insensitive and inflammatory epithets as long as they don't know anyone that is within earshot.

I don't care what your opinion or what you think is logical, but I will defend your right to say it. Just as I do these guys and just as I do the OP. I hardly think the situation was blown out of proportion as you do because I was a lot closer to it than you. So the description of "screaming epithets" is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not for a second suggesting that anyone at the event was 'screaming epithets'. However, your post would appear to excuse them, if they were, as long as they did not personally know anyone who would hear them.

I wonder how many "old school" cachers that believe that geocaching started on a mountain peak with a great view realize that the frst geocache was a bucket buried along side the road. The first trade item was food and the cache was on private property. The oldest active geocache is a piece of smallish tupperware along a highway interchange in Kansas.

I'm getting dizzy. :D

Ok, so some people think that some other cachers think they are better than other cachers because they think they don't agree with everything they think the other group thinks they think, so they think that they are better when don't think that. In fact they don't think like they think they think. :(:P I think.

That about sums up about this whole situation. It's basically one group feeling left out, and another group not knowing that. I'll bet anything that if the two groups were to meet and just go caching they would find out they're both just cachers. Plain and simple were all just cachers.

The problem is we are all also humans. As such, our minds lead us down avenues of thought that tend to lead us in the wrong direction. That's why it's often good for us all to "pop are heads out" and take a good look at where we are. Because none of us are that far apart.

I wonder how many "old school" cachers that believe that geocaching started on a mountain peak with a great view realize that the frst geocache was a bucket buried along side the road. The first trade item was food and the cache was on private property. The oldest active geocache is a piece of smallish tupperware along a highway interchange in Kansas.

You just caused people to cry... :(

I'm not for a second suggesting that anyone at the event was 'screaming epithets'. However, your post would appear to excuse them, if they were, as long as they did not personally know anyone who would hear them.

Can I be sensitive to everything about everybody in every situation? Nope.

Will I excuse it in others and myself? Yup.

Game winning goal by Moose Mob.

Not a problem, it refers back to an acronym I made up in an earlier post in this thread - FOP = Friends Of Phil, Phil Trigo being the virtual leader of TRIGO.

No, there is no Phil. :P

Or is there? :(

Friends of Phil...lol

Not a problem, it refers back to an acronym I made up in an earlier post in this thread - FOP = Friends Of Phil, Phil Trigo being the virtual leader of TRIGO.

No, there is no Phil. :(

Blasphemy!

Not all those who seek, find. Wide is path to WalMart and narrow the one to the ammo can.

Teacher says, "Every time an ammo can opens, an angel gets a smiley."

115e353c-ee0d-4c8c-b3c9-c24a37d65e2c.jpg

Edited by D@nim@l

Can you attempt to be sensitive to others? Yup.

Can you recognize when your insensitivity caused angst and offer an apology? Yup.

Can you recognize when your insensitivity caused angst and offer an apology? Yup.

Who's to say I didn't?

No, there is no Phil. :(

Blasphemy!

Not all those who seek, find. Wide is path to WalMart and narrow the one to the ammo can.

Teacher says, "Every time an ammo can opens, an angel gets a smiley."

115e353c-ee0d-4c8c-b3c9-c24a37d65e2c.jpg

It's not that Phil doesn't exist. He's virtual. He's grandfathered for now but the day may come when he is exiled to Waymarking unless we can come up with some way to intern him into an earthcache.

Who's to say I didn't?
I don't even know if you were present. My remarks have only been about your highlighted post above.

Who's to say I didn't?
I don't even know if you were present. My remarks have only been about your highlighted post above.

Whatever, I guess I am just being insensitive to you just offering your opinion independent of the facts or your involvement. My apologies.

Edited by D@nim@l

Considering rhelt's apologetic attempts I think sbell is just trying to point out that your comment he highlighted wasn't good timing...I don't think it has anything to do with the event.

Look, man. I've already said a few times in this thread that it was an error in judgement on my part to even bring up the group factor. You're beating a dead horse here. If I could go back in time and rewrite my original post it would be very different from the way it reads now. If I could go back and have another shot at the event, I think it would go very different as well and I probably would have never felt this post was necessary now that I see the situation from both sides instead of just the way I perceived it. If you want to continue to be angry, knock yourself out, but at this point you're not accomplishing anything except for raising your blood pressure.

I apologize for the elitist comment. Really, that word didn't describe what I was seeing anyways, so I'm not sure why I picked it.

I apologize for even mentioning the group. It was a great event. We helped out the park and I had a grand time bushwhacking all over the outskirts of the park. I think my group was the one to find the illegal ATV trails and we were also the only ones to be detained for 15 mins by the cops. TRIGO did do a good job organizing the event and it was great positive press for geocaching.

I apologize for coming to the event with a chip on my shoulder even though I don't think I realized it at the time. Looking back I see that I did.

Whatever, I guess I am just being insensitive to you just offering your opinion independent of the facts or your involvement. My apologies.
Huh? Independent of the facts? You made a statement that resulted in a reply.

Your statement basically excused any comment made by anyone as long as they didn't know the individuals who could hear it. I questioned as to whether that was actually what you meant. Apparently, it was.

Not me. :P I also know that the first wheels were made of stone. I am happy that we aren't riding around with those Fire-stones anymore.... :(

No, there is no Phil. :D

Or is there? :P

Friends of Phil??? Woohoo! I have a new forum title. :(

I will refrain from any other comments out sensitivity to everybody about anything, however I would like to thank the moderation team for showing their restraint regarding this thread.

I however will choose to pre-apologize to everyone for what I might say within earshot that inadvertently offends you out of no fault of my own:

Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry

There! Now I am covered for the next 10 instances for each person. Because the last thing I am going to do is play the Political correctness game. I censor myself for noone!!!!!

I have a problem with someone hiding behind their dog's account. If that is what you are all about then I take pity on you.

Edited by D@nim@l

I have a problem with someone hiding behind their dog's account. If that is what you are all about then I take pity on you.

And that's worse than hiding behind your monkey's account how? :(

I censor myself for noone!!!!!
I actually like to think that I don't censor myself, but it's not true. I think we all censor ourselves. I don't believe that success in life would be possible if one did not self-censor. Edited by sbell111

I will refrain from any other comments out sensitivity to everybody about anything, however I would like to thank the moderation team for showing their restraint regarding this thread.

I however will choose to pre-apologize to everyone for what I might say within earshot that inadvertently offends you out of no fault of my own:

Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry

There! Now I am covered for the next 10 instances for each person. Because the last thing I am going to do is play the Political correctness game. I censor myself for noone!!!!!

This politically correct garbage sometimes goes way too far. Plus there is often a double standard. :( Anyhow, if I am ever actually rude to someone at an event I hope they would just tell me. I would never try to be intentionally rude, but we all make mistakes. So when in doubt give others the benefit of the doubt. :P

And that's worse than hiding behind your monkey's account how? :D

I pity people who pity people :(:P:lol:

And leave monkeys out of it

I said something to someone at an Event on time. A person who overheard my comment misinterpreted it and the next thing I knew, several people were "shunning" me. :( I had no idea I did or said anything wrong . . . :P

Once I learned about it, I sent apologies to the people involved, and fortunately, ours is a large, friendly, Geocaching community.

That incident would never stop me from attending another Event. Geocaching Events are great fun!! :D

I said something to someone at an Event on time. A person who overheard my comment misinterpreted it and the next thing I knew, several people were "shunning" me. :( I had no idea I did or said anything wrong . . . :P

Once I learned about it, I sent apologies to the people involved, and fortunately, ours is a large, friendly, Geocaching community.

That incident would never stop me from attending another Event. Geocaching Events are great fun!! :D

That is a good example of the OP's issue in reverse. It's a shame to have a misunderstanding cause grief like that. You can easily take things that you hear out of context. That's why people that "hear things" need to give people the benefit of the doubt or ask them about it! :lol: Edited by TrailGators

That is a good example of the OP's issue in reverse. It's a shame to have a misunderstanding cause grief like that. You can easily take things that you hear out of context. That's why people that "hear things" need to give people the benefit of the doubt or ask them about it! :lol:

Or get tougher skin

That is a good example of the OP's issue in reverse. It's a shame to have a misunderstanding cause grief like that. You can easily take things that you hear out of context. That's why people that "hear things" need to give people the benefit of the doubt or ask them about it! :lol:

Or get tougher skin
Or get a stiff upper lip :lol:

I pity people who pity people :laughing::laughing::laughing:

This thread has become WILDLY recursive. It makes my head spin.

(Disclaimer: I'm an old time TRIGO member and a moderator. I don't agree with everything that some of the other old timers think. My opinion doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.)

To sum up:

With the current state of the GC listing/loggin system all that we can do if we want quality caches is to lead by example. I do wish some of the listing regulations were different, but that's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. If TPTB start losing money, we'll see change. Otherwise, the game will continue to become saturated and mass marketed.

Other things:

That picture of me confronting the visage of Phil is breathtaking. Thank Phil that he joined as that evening so that no more blood would be spilled. I believe Jim spilled his Apple-tini though.

Sadly, I'm one of the geeks in TRIGO. The test that was posted earlier reveals my score to be just over 51%. I'm not ashamed of this. I didn't major in computer science so I could be picked first for dodgeball.

Don't allow the vocal few to influence your opinions about any group. This happens far too much nowadays. A few loud voices end up labeling an entire community. You can see this in politics, religion, and business. Don't let it happen with local GC groups.

As said before, anyone is welcome in TRIGO. As long as your application doesn't look like a spam-bot you get accepted. To ensure your acceptance, be sure to include your geocaching username and a $500 check made out to "cash." ;)

PS: I wondered why all the applicants were streaming in over the past few days. Now I know. Controversy is good advertising apparently. :anitongue:

O-Mega

:laughing::anitongue:

Nice...this never even dawned on me.The land nav course was ammo cans on engineer stakes!I've been caching since 99! :laughing::laughing:;)

Woohoo! Caching since the mid-80's here! Now, I can really, really be an intolerant, microphobic old timer. :unsure:

Age Race??? I was finding canisters and signing log books in the Adirondacks in 1969.... No GPS of course so what has changed??? :laughing:

This thread has become WILDLY recursive. It makes my head spin. . .

This thread has become recursive within posts, recursive across posts by the same posters and recursive and nested across posters, and my head started spinning days ago. I am not complaining, but I actually have no idea anymore what is beig discussed in this thread or where it is going! Truly amazing!

I guess that I have learned enuf here, however, to be able to ask: Does TriGo have anything to do with the TriBoro bridge in NYC? Or with sodium triphosphate, which is an industrial detergent? Can TriGo be used in laundering socks?

:anitongue:

This thread has become WILDLY recursive. It makes my head spin. . .

This thread has become recursive within posts, recursive across posts by the same posters and recursive and nested across posters, and my head started spinning days ago. I am not complaining, but I actually have no idea anymore what is beig discussed in this thread or where it is going! Truly amazing!

I guess that I have learned enuf here, however, to be able to ask: Does TriGo have anything to do with the TriBoro bridge in NYC? Or with sodium triphosphate, which is an industrial detergent? Can TriGo be used in laundering socks?

:anitongue:

I don't know the answer to those questions, but I seem to recall hearing that you can use a Trigo to fly over caches that just happen to be on top of tall concrete pillars in the middle of waterways. I don't know who would actually put a cache container in such a place, but that's what I recall hearing.

...Don't allow the vocal few to influence your opinions about any group. This happens far too much nowadays. A few loud voices end up labeling an entire community. You can see this in politics, religion, and business. Don't let it happen with local GC groups....

Decisions are made by those who show up. In local politics and small towns that's whoever they can find because there are not enough people. If you reverse this. If you don't show up, don't speak out, then when you get right down to it, you don't matter. I'm not saying that, that makes someone worthless as a human being. Just pointing out one of the simple realities of the world we live in.

Even in geocaching organizations there are not enough volunteers to go around. Guess who makes the decisions? Guess who matters and who doesn't? It's easy to spout off in a forum. Not easy to step up and make a difference. If it was easy, everbody would do it. Instead it's easier to critisize from your arm chair. After all it was a long days work just to pay the bills.

Back on topic.