Elitists - You know who you are...

Thanks for the thread. I have had concerns about going to events. Sounds like they are as i imagine them.

Only go to the events that serve beer. That will loosen things up. If they don't, then bring beer and pass it around. Better still bring the beer but sit on the cooler. They can only have a beer by saying hello.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Thanks for the thread. I have had concerns about going to events. Sounds like they are as i imagine them.

Don't be scared off by the OP. He has only been to 5 events, or 29 if you count the number of times he has attened those 5 events. We didn't know what to expect when we went to our first event.

My wife had to be bribed into going. Since then she has gotten to be pretty good friends with a few people who we see reguarly outside of caching. We have had at least 20 cachers here for family birthday parties and such. Events are what you make of them. Don't expect someone to hold your hand the whole time. You have to be responsible to talk with people as well. You make any effort what-so-ever, and you will be rewarded wih friends.

I'm a total introvert, almost physically uncomfortable at a party where I don't know anyone. I'm completely different at caching events. I went to one with my wife, kids, and father, and my dad and wife were astounded at how friendly I was with total strangers. That's not to say some regions aren't different, or that there are no cliques among cachers. But no one should let one person's bad experience turn them off of events.

Only go to the events that serve beer. That will loosen things up.

We end our Annual Spring dinner with most of the group going to a local MicroBrew House for fun. The pics get better as the night goes on. At the end of the night, we The Elitists, sacrafice a newbie. It doesn't get any better than that :blink:

Ok I have been doing this for well over a year now but would be considered by many to still be a newbie. I have nearly 500 finds (who's counting? Its posted on the banner so I know) but about 4/5 of these were urban finds. I am a single dad and cannot get out of town to do the hikes at the drop of a pin but I can do a 5 mile curcuit and spend some quality time with my kids and even then we usually find some cool spots in town we did not know about. I can see how the game has changed and evolved but the old way is still there too. I say just play the game and quit trying complaining. I am truly sorry for the starter of this thread and the experience he had. I have had nothing but good luck with the cachers I have met.

If you imagine events to involve young and old, geeks and outdoorsmen, professionals and blue collar, families and singles, novice and veteran geocachers getting together to share their love of the sport you would be correct.

At every event I've attended newbies and out of towners have been warmly welcomed.

Of course when a bunch of people, many of who have known each other for several years, get together it may seem a bit cliquish to an outsider. But invariably by the end of the evening, even the rarest newbie becomes part of the clique.

I have not yet had the opportunity to attend a geocache event, but have attended numerous comparable events for other similar activities over the years.

I general, if the elite what to have an exclusive get together, they just go ahead and do it.

If people go to the trouble of having a public event, the vast majority of the time there is a real desire to welcome newcomers.

Edited by geomann1

The purpose for this post? Something happened that irritated me a few weeks back at an event and it's been gnawing at me ever since. I'm not directing this post at anybody, although it may feel that way to those involved, I'm directing this at the situation that I do not like.

So, a few weeks ago, I attended a large local event. It was hosted by a local caching group that is well known to be really into their numbers and anti-puzzle, anti-hiking, anti-anything that requires effort to increment their find count, even anti-"outdoorsy cachers". I'm strongly against the last piece of this, since I'm an outdoorsy person that took up geocaching to go to go places and see things and I’ll never get the point of incrementing a number on a website just for the sake of incrementing a number on a website. Anyways, I try to make it a point to be polite to everyone I meet unless given a reason not to be. Even after given a reason, I'm not likely to be rude to them, just not "hang out" with them.

At the event, there was a large group of cachers that were all obviously good friends who were members of said organization. They were getting ready to go out to score two dozen finds on temporary caches set out for the event. They were loudly proclaiming things such as "I should get my 1450th find on this trip out! HAHAHAHA!” and “I already got the new cache at the Taco Bell on the way here! hahahahah! It may have been fun for them, but they were being loud, obnoxious, and ignoring cachers who weren't part of their little group. Several of these guys are the big numbers cachers in the area (again, I'm not going to mention names, that's not the purpose here). At one point, I introduced myself to one of them simply because I recognized the name and thought it was cool to meet him and I almost felt like I was looked up on with scorn, maybe because I’ll say out loud that I think micros in parking lots are stupid, I dunno. Anyways, what really irked me about the entire situation is that I wanted to talk cache while they just wanted to run around doing the temporary caches and explore other innovative ways to increment their number. This seemed quite odd to me. I know that at events thrown by the organization that I'm a participant in, we like to socialize and spend our time telling war stories about the great caches we had found. It seemed a waste to spend this time looking for a series of ho-hum temporary caches. I make it a point to include everyone. This group made it a point to exclude certain cachers that they didn’t agree with. They pretended to be “open minded” but they really didn’t want to hear anything that could be construed as being “negative”. I was fortunate to find a like-minded cacher sitting alone in the corner who wasn’t keen on finding a bunch of temps. I chatted with him for a good half an hour. We talked cache. I never got how many he found but I did get that it didn’t matter to him either.

The point of all this rambling?? WHY?? Why do many numbers cachers think they're "elite", better than anybody else? Why do they brag so much about milestones and FTFs. Don't get me wrong, it's not all numbers cachers, but I've seen several. I've only had contact with maybe a dozen "numbers cachers" to the caching game. One was positive, the rest were negative. In this case, I felt shunned when I tried to mingle with a group. I've been attacked in the forums by another member of the group in the past because he can’t (or doesn’t want to) hunt anything more 100 feet from pavement. I've also read an essay by another in the group that basically states that "elitist old-school" cachers ruin the fun for everyone else by complaining about micros and he wished that they would just shut up so that everyone could revel in the glory of their find stat. Whatever happened to don't judge a book by how many pages it has?

I honestly feel that I could probably be friends with any of these guys if given the chance. But, then again, they’re too busy playing in parking lots. Why can't we all just get along? If you don't like to hear that it's not about the numbers and spend your time running from this light pole to the next signing waypointed scraps of paper...then that's your business...why brag about it and expect others to be impressed? If you don't like complaints about guardrail micros...ignore them...or stop hiding them... Why are you so offended by the complaints? Why are you irritated? What is gnawing at you? Do you really feel that you are being “attacked”? What is the root cause of your angst?

Maybe you need to reevaluate the way you play the game.

OK, I am totally new to Geocaching, but I have to ask:

1) What is this "change in direction" that people keep mentioning about geocaching? What was it like before as opposed to now? Ive only hunted down a few caches, but they seem to fall into 3 categories:

a - Caches that lead you to a cool (generally natural) place that you would have otherwise drove by.

b - Caches designed for the working guy out on lunch break, but jonesin for some caching

c - Themed caches

And, of course, some combination of those categories mentioned above.

Answer to number 1: Most caches used to be type A in larger containers. Most caches now are type B in smaller no trade containers. Cache density has vastly increased as well. Reasons to place a cache have gone from type A reasons to Type B reasons.

I am of course generalizing the whole issue.

I think you missed the nail by a wide margin. The issue with many of us "elitists", "old timers" or whatever you want to call us is the morphing of geocaching from a sport where the point was to use your GPS for a little adventure and discovery, to one focused on accumulating as many smileys as possible ( to the point where it sometimes no longer even involves finding geocaches).

This focus on numbers is the root reason for the explosion in what we consider to be "junk caches" (which to me and many of my fellow "elitists" are caches placed for no reason other than to place a cache).

Now it's easy to say to each his own - let the numbers people chase their numbers and let the "elitists" go after the kinds of caches they enjoy. The problem that us "elitists" have with this is that the junk caches

are crowding out the caches we like and making it difficult to find the kinds of caches we enjoy among all the chaff. In other threads I've detailed how this change has prevented my from enjoying the sport the way I prefer to.

I largely agree with Brian, but I must say -- just in case Brian was endorsing them -- that I disagree strongly with the concept, the motives and the methods of the "Geocaching Old School Death Squads" (GOSDS) which have cropped up in many parts of the USA, where armed old-school geoachers go out on dark nights and abduct and kill those cachers whom they have decided to be "numbers cachers" or "hiders or seekers of LUMs or MicroSpew". I have nothing against killing another cacher in order to score an FFT, but I abhor the idea of killing a cacher in the dark of the night just because of their caching style. :huh::D

:blink:

:P

An interesting thread for a newbie like me. Actually, it makes me feel a lot better. I was feeling kinda insecure, because I've made fewer than a dozen finds, after doing this for nearly a month. That's mainly because I enjoy a walk in the woods to an interesting place, so those are the caches I look for. It adds a great dimension to a weekend hike!

What I'm hearing is, the 'elitists' say it's okay if you don't have hundreds of finds--the game is in the hunt and the cleverness of the hide, not the stats.

Just looking at your last event...if that's the event you are referring to, rhelt100, I can see where maybe that type of event would tend to be more clique-ish.

That seems like a bit of an odd event in a way...I guess I personally wouldn't do a b-day party / geocaching event type thing. Not that it's a bad idea, but again...I can see where that'd lend itself to be more of a inner-circle, personal group type get together.

Certainly doesn't excuse the behavior...

Actually wasn't that event. I'm a co-founder of BACON.

An interesting thread for a newbie like me. Actually, it makes me feel a lot better. I was feeling kinda insecure, because I've made fewer than a dozen finds, after doing this for nearly a month. That's mainly because I enjoy a walk in the woods to an interesting place, so those are the caches I look for. It adds a great dimension to a weekend hike!

What I'm hearing is, the 'elitists' say it's okay if you don't have hundreds of finds--the game is in the hunt and the cleverness of the hide, not the stats.

You found twice as many in your first month as I did. :blink:

And as for meeting cachers, I invite you to drop by the Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois (GONIL) website and attend one of our events. Lots of newbies and old timers from the area to get to know.

Edited by Stunod

According to your shaky thesis, I shoulda ignored those newcomers when they showed their faces at the event in question.

:blink::huh:

I don't think this debunks my theory at all. I certainly made it clear in my original post that not every "old timer" fits the bill. You obviously do not.

I'm always surprised when people seem willing to talk to me. Heck, I won't even talk to myeslf! I go to these geocaching events and people walk right up to me and start talking. I have to consciously force myself not to look over each shoulder to see who they're really talking to.

What's amazing is walking away from an event after two hours of conversation with people that I have nothing substantially in common with and realize I just had an excellent time socializing with complete strangers about the practice of looking for boxes filled with baubles. What a trip!

The irony is that I have more in common with the people at church, and I can't strike up a conversation with them to save my life, even though I see them every week.

I see people at my work five days a week, and I can't have a feel-good satisfying conversation with hardly any of them on any given day.

That reminds me...I need to get off of the forums and go spend more time talking to my wife.

Goodbye.

Just looking at your last event...if that's the event you are referring to, rhelt100, I can see where maybe that type of event would tend to be more clique-ish.

That seems like a bit of an odd event in a way...I guess I personally wouldn't do a b-day party / geocaching event type thing. Not that it's a bad idea, but again...I can see where that'd lend itself to be more of a inner-circle, personal group type get together.

That's funny because Quest Master and I founded the Elite Geocachers of Greensburg Society (EGGS).

Maybe we can meet sometime and have breakfast???

That's funny because Quest Master and I founded the Elite Geocachers of Greensburg Society (EGGS).

Greensburg! :huh: I was in Greensburg a couple of years ago and had dinner at the Red Star Brewery! Great place! :blink:

Yep, I was expecting a post like this. It's obviously my fault.

I was and am one of the more vocal people who were sitting at the table in question. I am unsure what qualified myself as an elitist in your book. It surely can't be by found count since you have about twice as many as I do in half the time as myself. Maybe it is because I am active in my area and frequent events and such and socialize with other cachers where you choose to lurk instead. i was at this event obviously and met some cachers I have not met before. I went up to them, and some approached me. You did not approach me or make any attempt to speak to me. I did not see you or I would have said hi. I guess this is entirely my fault since that is how you are able to justify calling me an elitist. Where I come from it takes two to shake hands.

I did, in fact, speak with one member of your group because I recognized the name and have cached a few times with a good friend of his from the area. Maybe you weren't there yet, I don't know because I don't know you. But, I will tell you, I certainly wasn't given the impression that I was welcome to have a seat and chat.

The people you are referring to are anything but elitists. They consisted of a family of four, although TRIGO is paying for the four year old's elitist thug training, a cacher whom I had never met before, a couple from Ohio that I rarely get to see but enjoy the times when we are together, a cacher who rode with me and has less than 50 finds (I made him ride in the back and he was not allowed to talk either way), a well known and respected cacher from our area who enjoy learning things from, and a person who is probably at the head of the Geek Squad for TRIGO. Maybe if you would have made an attempt to speak to any or all of us you would have had a different view. Instead you choose to hide on the outskirts and listen rather than participate, then make a judgement about all of us based on your 60 minute stake out. That's sad and unfair.

As I stated above, I did "attempt to speak to any or all of" of you. Maybe I read the group wrong, I'm certainly not above admitting that I may have been mistaken. There's also a good chance that I had a negative impression of the group in advance since one member in particular personally attacked me on these forums a few months back. I won't deny this.

You make assumptions about a group, TRIGO, based on things you have heard rather than facts. This is a group of over 400 members. You can not with any accuracy, group everyone under a single blanket of agendas. That is ridiculous and just full of holes. While there are people who are said to hate micros, it is actually easier to accuse them of this than state their true disgust which lies in crap caches of any size. Go ahead and continue to spread the false words and more cachers such as yourself will continue to be misinformed and make statements we can laugh at.

Point taken. I'm not trying to say that the entire group is "elitist". I'm simply relating what I saw at the event. Every event that I've been to up until this one were a group of cachers getting to know eachother and having a good time. At this event, I saw a group of people and a lone cacher being ignored. Maybe it's because I went through a shy time in my life and found myself in that boat several times that it irritates me so, but there you have it.

I am not surprised at all how this whole situation has become the group of cachers and the group of TRIGO's fault and not one ounce of it falls onto your shoulders at all. The event in question was us finding over 170 corners of a state park which was going to take them 3 years to do. We as a group did this in 1 day. This was a huge accomplishment and a great way for this group top step up and paint Geocaching and Geocachers in a great light to further our relationship with the DCNR. The saddest part of this whole thing is you took a great effort by our group and came away with nothing good to say. The only thing you can do is complain. Maybe you should make more of an effort to meet people rather than complain behind their backs.

Again, I have nothing against TRIGO...well except for one particular member who attacked me in the forums, but I'm even willing to overlook that, I have thick skin. *I* also participated and found several corners with my group. I was proud to assist the park, but that really has little do with the discussion here.

I know that speaking my mind has probably made me an outcast in the minds of TRIGO, but so be it. Judging by the tone of your entire note here, you're the type of person to hold grudges, so good luck with that. Personally, I won't let anything said in this thread dissuade me from befriending any TRIGO members, including you, should you decide to check your attack tone before we chat.

My purpose in posting this was not to anger anyone, make enemies, or "dis" TRIGO. My purpose was to tell those involved how they were perceived from the outside. I have done several things in my life that years later I found out were rude, wrong, and made somebody feel like crap. I regret every single one.

I know you're just being sarcastic...but I would love to sit down with you two sometime. Honestly. Show me that I read you guys wrong!

I know you're just being sarcastic...but I would love to sit down with you two sometime. Honestly. Show me that I read you guys wrong!

Um, OK, do you like Cracker Barrel?

Um, OK, do you like Cracker Barrel?

Does anybody not like cracker barrel?

Again, I have nothing against TRIGO...well except for one particular member who attacked me in the forums, but I'm even willing to overlook that, I have thick skin. *I* also participated and found several corners with my group. I was proud to assist the park, but that really has little do with the discussion here.

I know that speaking my mind has probably made me an outcast in the minds of TRIGO, but so be it. Judging by the tone of your entire note here, you're the type of person to hold grudges, so good luck with that. Personally, I won't let anything said in this thread dissuade me from befriending any TRIGO members, including you, should you decide to check your attack tone before we chat.

My purpose in posting this was not to anger anyone, make enemies, or "dis" TRIGO. My purpose was to tell those involved how they were perceived from the outside. I have done several things in my life that years later I found out were rude, wrong, and made somebody feel like crap. I regret every single one.

I always wonder about people who say something doesn't bother them, but they keep bringing it up in conversation. To me it sounds like they are holding a grudge, while publicly denying so.

You postings here do have shadings of attack, so you might want to check your own tone.

I'm a total outsider to the area/group under discussion, but that's how it reads from here.

I always wonder about people who say something doesn't bother them, but they keep bringing it up in conversation. To me it sounds like they are holding a grudge, while publicly denying so.

You postings here do have shadings of attack, so you might want to check your own tone.

I'm a total outsider to the area/group under discussion, but that's how it reads from here.

I probably am holding a grudge, but I'm working on arranging breakfast with the guy so we'll solve that shortly :blink:

Regarding my tone, I honestly wasn't intending to attack anybody. Reading back over my post, I see how it could be taken that way though Now you know why I'm a computer geek for a living and not a writer.

Waaah! Johnny won't play with me!

Mommy... make him play with me!

What claptrap.

I have attended perhaps 100 events in four years in 20+ states from Michigan to Massachusetts down to Florida and west to California. I have attended three events in two states so far this month and will attend at least five events in three states by the end of May. I have cached with at least 150 cachers and met many times that, and never once have I experienced or witnessed exclusive cliques, rudeness or anything approaching elitism.

Sure folks are different, the game is different from place to place, different players play it different and perhaps even tend to hang out with folks that play it the way they do. In any group leaders and followers will emerge, sub-groups will form with like interests and personalities - that's human nature!

It's still a game that I find open and welcoming to anyone anytime anywhere!

If you have trouble getting along or fitting in at a geocaching event perhaps it's not the rest of the attendees who have a problem.

I have discovered that I can see a listing for an event online, know not one soul in that area, go there, be welcomed, included and leave having made friends. I have done it over and over!

This thread gives a totally polar and unfamiliar face to the geocachers I have met.

Please, gentle reader, do not believe that such is the normal event experience!

I have discovered that I can see a listing for an event online, know not one soul in that area, go there, be welcomed, included and leave having made friends.

Bingo! While I don't have anywhere near the numbers that Ed has, (5 events/5 CITO's), I have always been welcomed by strangers. It's one of the things that I most like about this game. Face to face, cachers are some of the nicest folks on the planet.

You know, I find it really interesting how people can take anything as simple and fun as geocaching and screw it up by being "elitist" about it. :blink: It's ONLY GEOCACHING, not quantum physics! It's ONLY A GAME, not brain surgury! I admit that I don't know who or what type of people started this geocaching "thing" but I can imagine that it was a few geeks who liked the latest, new electronic GPS gadgets and invented a game around the new toy. Or maybe even a few serious Appalachian Trail types who liked to add a little fun to their long, exhaustive, communing with nature experiences. But I do know one thing, and that is geocaching is a Geek's Game! I don't care who you are...doctor, lawyer, trash collector, Nobel Prize winner, redneck, live in a mansion, live in a mobile home down by the river, have a membership at Augusta National or just a season pass to the local Putt-Putt course... if you like geocaching then you have geek tendencies or you're a full fledged geek! As for me, well I'm a college graduate, own my own bussiness and have a beautiful home in the country..but guess what? I'M A GEEK TOO! That's right and I don't mind admitting it.

So, all you "elitist geocachers" out there (and you know who you are) bring your heads down out of the clouds and shape up. Before you start treating others with distain, look in the mirror and tell yourself, "Oh my God...I like geocaching..I'm a geek!" :huh: and embrace it, then enjoy it... 'cause it's true.

You know, I find it really interesting how people can take anything as simple and fun as geocaching and screw it up by being "elitist" about it. :blink: It's ONLY GEOCACHING, not quantum physics! It's ONLY A GAME, not brain surgury! I admit that I don't know who or what type of people started this geocaching "thing" but I can imagine that it was a few geeks who liked the latest, new electronic GPS gadgets and invented a game around the new toy. Or maybe even a few serious Appalachian Trail types who liked to add a little fun to their long, exhaustive, communing with nature experiences. But I do know one thing, and that is geocaching is a Geek's Game! I don't care who you are...doctor, lawyer, trash collector, Nobel Prize winner, redneck, live in a mansion, live in a mobile home down by the river, have a membership at Augusta National or just a season pass to the local Putt-Putt course... if you like geocaching then you have geek tendencies or you're a full fledged geek! As for me, well I'm a college graduate, own my own bussiness and have a beautiful home in the country..but guess what? I'M A GEEK TOO! That's right and I don't mind admitting it.

So, all you "elitist geocachers" out there (and you know who you are) bring your heads down out of the clouds and shape up. Before you start treating others with distain, look in the mirror and tell yourself, "Oh my God...I like geocaching..I'm a geek!" :huh: and embrace it, then enjoy it... 'cause it's true.

Elitists only exist because there is an opposite. Get rid of that opposite and elitists go away too. By the way, who came up with calling people "elitists?" I know, it must have been their opposites... :P Edited by TrailGators

It was hosted by a local caching group that is well known to be anti-micro, anti-anything not a long hike in a beautiful locale, even anti-"nerdy cachers". I'm strongly against the last piece of this, since I'm a tech geek that moved on to caching,

It seems to me that you were expecting to be buddies with people that feel in a way that you are strongly against. I can understand why that might cause you to view all their actions in a negative light.

At one point, I introduced myself to one of them simply because I recognized the name and thought it was cool to meet him and I almost felt like I was looked up on with scorn, maybe because I hunt micros occasionally, I dunno.

dunno either. Maybe because they are aware that you feel strongly against what they believe in. Maybe he felt uncomfortable and didn't know what to say to someone that he felt looked down on him.

Anyways, what really irked me about the entire situation is that when I returned back to the event from our purpose, there was a local cacher that I have met on a few occasions. He's a retiree and really a fantastic guy. Here in the pavilion was this large group of cachers and in the other end, huddled all alone was the guy I knew, looking very uncomfortable.

Faux pas? Ok maybe. I am rather shy at parties where I don't know anyone. I have never blamed the group because I sat myself down at the other end of the room. Maybe they felt he was scorning them because their style of caching was different than his.

The point of all this rambling?? WHY?? Why do many old school cachers think they're "elite", better than anybody else?

What a huge leap of indictment. Maybe they are not good at reaching out to new people. Maybe they felt they were being looked down upon also. How are you able to know what their motivations were. I wasn't there to see what happened but from your description I see nothing to convict them of being "elitist".

I've been attacked in the forums by another member of the group in the past because he's not a "numbers cacher". I've also read an essay by another in the group that basically states that "geeky cachers" have overtaken the game and he wished cachers were the outdoor (read cool) types that they used to be.
I am getting the impression that this is the root of your angst.

(from post #70)

Judging by the tone of your entire note here, you're the type of person to hold grudges, so good luck with that.

Maybe a good long look in the mirror is in order. It seems that you are holding a grudge because you think they look down on the way you play the game. If you go on the forums and bash how some people play the game you might not end up their best friend. If you go on the forum and read someone else bashing the way you play the game you might not end up their best friend. That does not necessarily make either of you an elitist. Maybe they are, maybe not. Maybe YOU are the elitist. Maybe they just aren't the hosts with the most.

I geocache because:

1) It gives justification for spending a couple hundred dollars on a device that tells me where I already am.

2) I can never see enough shopping center light poles.

3) I enjoy scratches on my arms and legs.

4) The shoes are less funny looking than bowling or golf.

5) There's fewer welts than paintball.

6) Chicks dig guys slowly walking around in circles muttering to themself.

C'mon, how elitist can you be in a game where you're already told where what you're looking for is at? It's not like you're finding a forgotton egyptian tomb for the first time. Have fun. :rolleyes:

Elitist?

Perhaps, I prefer the old-school of caching, but that's me. 'Nice place, be creative, and trade fair'. That's what I STILL think the principals of geocaching are. I've been to 1 (one) event, it was nice, I don't quite get the coin thingy, but it was nice to meet some people (especially the woman that made a good post on finding one of my caches).

I DO think everybody has to relax a bit.

I don't much care for PDA, paperless caching (you missed the trail and pissed off people walking through yards) . People that say (type) "GPSr", it's a GPS ( Local Capt Quint says " Bunch of ******* Mary-Boy ****** weekend warrior ******with more ******** $$$ than ******** sense that ******** God gave them! *******!").

People that want "Instant Gratificaton" My GPS unit is 11 years old, no problems with trees, and I can find a bouy in the worst conditions. "I bought a GPSr and can't use it?" RTFM!!!! Read The Friggin Manual!! MY GOD!!! HOW STUPID ARE YOU ???? If you are smart enough to use the internet, you SHOULD be smart enough to read directions! RTFM!!!! The problem I had 10 years ago selling GPS was the idiots that wanted "Instant Gratificaction"

Elitist? Perhaps

"Be nice" goes a long way

Elitist?

Perhaps, I prefer the old-school of caching, but that's me. 'Nice place, be creative, and trade fair'. That's what I STILL think the principals of geocaching are. I've been to 1 (one) event, it was nice, I don't quite get the coin thingy, but it was nice to meet some people (especially the woman that made a good post on finding one of my caches).

I DO think everybody has to relax a bit.

I don't much care for PDA, paperless caching (you missed the trail and pissed off people walking through yards) . People that say (type) "GPSr", it's a GPS ( Local Capt Quint says " Bunch of ******* Mary-Boy ****** weekend warrior ******with more ******** $$$ than ******** sense that ******** God gave them! *******!").

People that want "Instant Gratificaton" My GPS unit is 11 years old, no problems with trees, and I can find a bouy in the worst conditions. "I bought a GPSr and can't use it?" RTFM!!!! Read The Friggin Manual!! MY GOD!!! HOW STUPID ARE YOU ???? If you are smart enough to use the internet, you SHOULD be smart enough to read directions! RTFM!!!! The problem I had 10 years ago selling GPS was the idiots that wanted "Instant Gratificaction"

Elitist? Perhaps

"Be nice" goes a long way

:rolleyes::huh:B) Yup, I just love leadership by example!

Lots of good viewpoints here, I'm actually glad I made the original post. I do want to point out, as others have already, that those of you who haven't attended an event shouldn't take my opinion of this one as a sign that an event in your area will be bad. While it's true that I've *only* been to 4 events as another poster so kindly put it (3 CITOs as well, which are basically just events with trash being picked up), I've had a blast at all of them and even had a good time at this one chatting with a cacher that I had met before.

Several people in this thread have jumped on the band wagon of me being an idiot, while only a few have mentioned noticing similar situations. It's possible that my judgement was cloudy that day due to several miles of backwoods hiking, my groups run in with local law enforcement, and/or the fact that I ran out of water half way through the day. Honestly, I dunno, I presented it as it exists in my memory.

So, my apologies to anybody I offended. I'm going to plan on attending a TRIGO event in the near future to meet several of you. Burning micro seems like a good plan should you guys do it again this year, which I expect you will. I have a good half dozen micro containers on my desk that I have no plans for.

Rhelt100 out...

Its not a question of being "better" than anyone else. It's that many of us don't like the direction the sport is headed and will say so. If this is elitism, so be it.

I don't consider that elitism, Briansnat. What I consider elitism is the refusal to even chat with another cacher simply because they haven't been around for as long as you have. Although I'm well known around my little community, I doubt any of these guys have ever even heard of me.

They have now. :rolleyes:

And of course I'm sure this will have a happy ending. :huh:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

... I don't care who you are...doctor, lawyer, trash collector, Nobel Prize winner, redneck, live in a mansion, live in a mobile home down by the river, have a membership at Augusta National or just a season pass to the local Putt-Putt course... if you like geocaching then you have geek tendencies or you're a full fledged geek! As for me, well I'm a college graduate, own my own bussiness and have a beautiful home in the country..but guess what? I'M A GEEK TOO! That's right and I don't mind admitting it.

So, all you "elitist geocachers" out there (and you know who you are) bring your heads down out of the clouds and shape up. Before you start treating others with distain, look in the mirror and tell yourself, "Oh my God...I like geocaching..I'm a geek!" :rolleyes: and embrace it, then enjoy it... 'cause it's true.

Well I only scored a 9.46 on the Inner Geek Quiz, so that blows holes in your theory :huh: .

[quote name='TheAlabamaRambler' date='May 15 2007, 03:45 AM' post='2863895'

:rolleyes:B):huh: Yup, I just love leadership by example!

Pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get on with it!

If you need help, I'll help, but I'm not going to hold your hand! Get a spine!!!!

PDA cachers miss some of the point, a good trail/walk through the muck and mire. Walk through neighborhoods WHERE THEY ARE NOT WANTED, but find a cache after I ASKED " Do not go". LAT/LON dowloaded with nothing else. (Googa Mapz to the nearest driveway doesn't make you a good Geocacher)

Be nice, follow the rules, don't be a jerk, have fun... Pretty simple....

That's what I said

I think you missed the nail by a wide margin. The issue with many of us "elitists", "old timers" or whatever you want to call us is the morphing of geocaching from a sport where the point was to use your GPS for a little adventure and discovery, to one focused on accumulating as many smileys as possible ( to the point where it sometimes no longer even involves finding geocaches).

This focus on numbers is the root reason for the explosion in what we consider to be "junk caches" (which to me and many of my fellow "elitists" are caches placed for no reason other than to place a cache).

Now it's easy to say to each his own - let the numbers people chase their numbers and let the "elitists" go after the kinds of caches they enjoy. The problem that us "elitists" have with this is that the junk caches are crowding out the caches we like and making it difficult to find the kinds of caches we enjoy among all the chaff. In other threads I've detailed how this change has prevented my from enjoying the sport the way I prefer to.

I wonder if you think posts like this help change anyone's mind who disagrees with you. I doubt it. :rolleyes:

... I don't care who you are...doctor, lawyer, trash collector, Nobel Prize winner, redneck, live in a mansion, live in a mobile home down by the river, have a membership at Augusta National or just a season pass to the local Putt-Putt course... if you like geocaching then you have geek tendencies or you're a full fledged geek! As for me, well I'm a college graduate, own my own bussiness and have a beautiful home in the country..but guess what? I'M A GEEK TOO! That's right and I don't mind admitting it.

So, all you "elitist geocachers" out there (and you know who you are) bring your heads down out of the clouds and shape up. Before you start treating others with distain, look in the mirror and tell yourself, "Oh my God...I like geocaching..I'm a geek!" :rolleyes: and embrace it, then enjoy it... 'cause it's true.

Well I only scored a 9.46 on the Inner Geek Quiz, so that blows holes in your theory B) .

1.76%

I didn't even know what half of that stuff was. :huh:B)

I wonder if you think posts like this help change anyone's mind who disagrees with you. I doubt it. :rolleyes:
He's just stating facts as he's sees them. And they are the truth for him.

Will rolling your eyes at him or anyone who disagrees with you change their minds?

... He was stating the facts as he sees them and I did the same. As you are fond of saying, "I learned a long time ago to call 'em like I see 'em". Edited by sbell111

Now it's easy to say to each his own - let the numbers people chase their numbers and let the "elitists" go after the kinds of caches they enjoy. The problem that us "elitists" have with this is that the junk caches are crowding out the caches we like and making it difficult to find the kinds of caches we enjoy among all the chaff. In other threads I've detailed how this change has prevented my from enjoying the sport the way I prefer to.

I wonder if you think posts like this help change anyone's mind who disagrees with you. I doubt it. :rolleyes:.

I wonder if you think posts like this are a positive contribution to the forums. :huh:

He's just stating facts as he's sees them. And they are the truth for him.

Will rolling your eyes at him or anyone who disagrees with you change their minds?

As you are fond of saying, "I learned a long time ago to call 'em like I see 'em".

My point is he's not going to change his mind, and you're not going to change yours. Why bother bashing each other about it?

(Not a comment for or against either of you or your view points)

The thing I find most interesting about the "smiley game" comments from the "old school" is that I have yet to truly meet someone that I believe is in it for this reason even though I think it's obvious that there are some based on comments I've read here.

The vast majority of people I've met share largely the same interests regardless of their longevity in the game.

I wonder if you think posts like this help change anyone's mind who disagrees with you. I doubt it. :rolleyes:.

I wonder if you think posts like this are a positive contribution to the forums. :huh:

You should ask yourself the same question about your post. In fact, that's was I was trying to get you to do. Denigrating the actions of those you disagree with will never win people to your side of an issue.

The thing I find most interesting about the "smiley game" comments from the "old school" is that I have yet to truly meet someone that I believe is in it for this reason even though I think it's obvious that there are some based on comments I've read here.

The vast majority of people I've met share largely the same interests regardless of their longevity in the game.

I have met a couple that are in it just to be the best. They want to own the cache that everyone talks about. They want the most finds. They want to be King and Queen Cacher in this region.

Maybe I should say wanted. After they found out that it was a lot of work to try to outdo everyone and that folks just don't care about it anyway, they gave up.

Your right though, the vast majority are just caching for fun regardless of when they started or what group they might be a member of. By and large cachers are good people.

Hmmm... lets think about this for as minute

Geocaching attracts -

Outdoorsy- deep woodsman types who spend day in the wilderness not talking to anyone = Not known for their exceptional social skills

Techno-geeks looking for a reason to spend $$$ on a new Gadget = Not known for their exceptional social skills

People who needed a reason to go out hiking other than enjoying nature so they created some adventure/treasure hunting game which is one step away from dressing up like a wizard and frolliking through the woods yelling "Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!" = Not known for thier exceptional social skills

It looks like the odds were stacked against you.

P.S. Other than the fact that I am very sociable, these all applies to me as well. Just didnt want you to think I was point fingers and not including myself in the group. :rolleyes:

P.P.S. If you didnt get the Lightning Bolt comment, look up "LARP Lightning Bolt" on YouTube