Garmin Announces new Rhino GPS

Too bad they still use re-chargeable li-ion batteries. I'd like to see AA's, and wouldn't mind the additional bulkiness of the unit if that's that was the only con. Could this be a limitation in regards to the amount of power needed by the unit for both GPS and radio functionality as to why they chose li-ion?

Too bad they still use re-chargeable li-ion batteries. I'd like to see AA's, and wouldn't mind the additional bulkiness of the unit if that's that was the only con. Could this be a limitation in regards to the amount of power needed by the unit for both GPS and radio functionality as to why they chose li-ion?

Garmin does sell a AA battery pack to replace the Li Ion battery. Although I use the rechargeable battery and actually found that I like it. I have the AA battery pack I carry for emergency back up when I'm out hunting.

mSD

Does anyone know if we will be able to load our own CD maps to the mSD. Will it be compatible with a 2gig card?

REI is selling the 530HCx in the catalog I received yesterday. They are selling a mSD loaded with Topo of the West Coast and Hawaii. Though $79 isn't bad, I still want to use my own CDs. I see there isn't any built in memory. Which suggests that I can load my own data. I've never used a Garmin with SD though.

mSD

Does anyone know if we will be able to load our own CD maps to the mSD. Will it be compatible with a 2gig card?

REI is selling the 530HCx in the catalog I received yesterday. They are selling a mSD loaded with Topo of the West Coast and Hawaii. Though $79 isn't bad, I still want to use my own CDs. I see there isn't any built in memory. Which suggests that I can load my own data. I've never used a Garmin with SD though.

I don't personally own a 530HCx, but I believe the whole point of all the "x" models was to have virtually unlimited map storage on the microSD cards.

I've been hearing rumors of this for months...and am delighted that they

finally combined the best features of 2 of their most popular outdoor/trail

GPS units - Yahoo :(

Regarding the previous comment concerning the micro-SD cards, yes you can load

your own Garmin maps to the card...additionally, Garmins POI loader allows you to

load additional Points of Interest directly to the card: Red Light Cameras, StarBucks,

Geocaches, Custom Icons, etc, etc, etc.. With a 1 or 2GB micro-SD card the storage

is practially unlimited for most applications.

Regards,

Bill

My recent misfortune maybe a sign to get one of these.

I just ordered a new 2gig card. I could swear that I was upgrading from a 1 to a 2 in my cell phone. I was swapping them out and my head goes numb as I stare at two 2gig cards. I swear I had a 1gig!

The other thing was that I was looking at a 530 for a couple of weeks. I didn't like the lack of memory, however I am looking at selling my Legend C. Leaving me with nothing to load my City Select to. I decide that I'm going to buy it with the REI 20% sale and my dividend. That would make it about $300 plus tax. I couldn't beat that price else where.

So I go to the REI site the last day of the sale. It's not on the site. There is an accessory for it. Just not the 530. I was livid!

I went to the Alderwood store, after work, hoping that there might be a last one in stock. None. I called several stores all the way to Tacoma. None.

Just this Morning I see the new 530HCx in the REI catalog I received a couple of days ago. That's a few cool coincidences. :anitongue:

My recent misfortune maybe a sign to get one of these.

I just ordered a new 2gig card. I could swear that I was upgrading from a 1 to a 2 in my cell phone. I was swapping them out and my head goes numb as I stare at two 2gig cards. I swear I had a 1gig!

The other thing was that I was looking at a 530 for a couple of weeks. I didn't like the lack of memory, however I am looking at selling my Legend C. Leaving me with nothing to load my City Select to. I decide that I'm going to buy it with the REI 20% sale and my dividend. That would make it about $300 plus tax. I couldn't beat that price else where.

So I go to the REI site the last day of the sale. It's not on the site. There is an accessory for it. Just not the 530. I was livid!

I went to the Alderwood store, after work, hoping that there might be a last one in stock. None. I called several stores all the way to Tacoma. None.

Just this Morning I see the new 530HCx in the REI catalog I received a couple of days ago. That's a few cool coincidences. :anitongue:

even then, double check the fine print on a lot of that stuff. I think that every coupon I have ever gotten has said that one of the exempt items on the sale was a GPS.

even then, double check the fine print on a lot of that stuff. I think that every coupon I have ever gotten has said that one of the exempt items on the sale was a GPS.

Thanks, but the sale was over the thirteenth. I'd like to think that that I could get the 530 at a great deal if it was available.

Except for the addition of the radio, the new Rhino seems to be competitive with the 60CSx, or am I wrong? There seem to be a few other differences, but the major one being that the 60CSx can store 1000 waypoints compared to 500 on the Rhino.

I have been considering purchasing a 60CSx for hiking in deep forest / canyon / tree cover, but maybe now I'll take a closer look at the new Rhino. Hmmm.. however the radio coverage doesn't seem to be that great, so maybe I'll pass.

Any rumors of a new 60CSx model coming out?

Thanks

Except for the addition of the radio, the new Rhino seems to be competitive with the 60CSx, or am I wrong? There seem to be a few other differences, but the major one being that the 60CSx can store 1000 waypoints compared to 500 on the Rhino.

I have been considering purchasing a 60CSx for hiking in deep forest / canyon / tree cover, but maybe now I'll take a closer look at the new Rhino. Hmmm.. however the radio coverage doesn't seem to be that great, so maybe I'll pass.

Any rumors of a new 60CSx model coming out?

Thanks

I haven't heard any rumors regarding a newer version of the 60CSx. Regarding the 500 Waypoint limit on the new RINO...you can also store Waypoints on the micro-SD card using Garmin's POI Loader. In fact, the number you can store is only limited by the size of the micro-SD card and your imagination - literally thousands of waypoints, and you can also do that on your 60CSx (all "x" models).

Bill

Except for the addition of the radio, the new Rhino seems to be competitive with the 60CSx, or am I wrong?

I thought I read that the new Rino has the brightest screen offered from Garmin right now.

Compared to the 60csx anything would be brighter! all the 60cx models I have seen are very dim, I assume they are purposely set dim to conserve a bit more battery life.

I highly doubt that these new rinos have a brighter backlight than any of the color etrex models, they are at least twice as bright as the 60csx(and have more vivid color too).

Ahh. I had been waiting for this to come out. I have a Rino 130 that I purchased when they just came out in 2004. I saw the 530 and said I would wait until one came out with an sdcard slot.

Now I just have to wait until I have the $$$ :laughing:

Well apparently it wont have the SiRF III chip but a "high sensitivity" one.

Not sure if that will turn out good or bad (probably bad because Ive got a lot of dense canopy around here).

Any Idea if it will have a 3-axis compass like the astro?

If you look at the 60 CSX it isn't listed with a SiRF III chip any more it is also listed as "High-sensitivity receiver" so I assume they are the same. Maybe or maybe not the SIRF III chip!!!

<_< ok ok this Rino is just a piece of art.But i have a question.

Can you use the Rino for locate the possition but the other partner have not own a Rino but a VHF receaver conected to a PC and a program, Ozi or somethink like that, to locate the user of the Rino?

sorry for my bad english

sakis

greece

:P ok ok this Rino is just a piece of art.But i have a question.

Can you use the Rino for locate the possition but the other partner have not own a Rino but a VHF receaver conected to a PC and a program, Ozi or somethink like that, to locate the user of the Rino?

sorry for my bad english

sakis

greece

Cant say for sure but I doubt it would work.

From the RH530 Feature List:

"Electronic compass tells you what direction you’re headed, even when you're standing still."

Hmmm. This might be helpful. My wife, friends, and employer all tell me that I need more "sense of direction" in my life. [Grin.]

-Paul-

Note to Sakis: Regarding compatibility with scanners, be aware that these radios are UHF, not VHF. The operating frequency is around 460MHz. Hope this is helpful. Also, anyone who lives outside the United States or Canada should investigate prior to purchasing transmitting equipment designed for US-Canadian markets. FRS/GMRS is a nation-specific allocation. In contrast with normal GPS equipment (which only receives, and does not transmit a signal), it may not be legal to use FRS/GMRS radio transceivers in your country.

Ok...it's July and still no "real" word on the release. I received a REI catalog last week that had the 530HCx in it...but checking on their website shows it either "out of stock or backordered".

Sent Garmin a note, but no response as of yet. Has anyone seen/heard of the release, and if so, who's got it in stock?

Color me anxious :rolleyes:

Bill

REI shipped my 530HCx on July 18th. Looking forward to receiving it!!!!

Ok...it's July and still no "real" word on the release. I received a REI catalog last week that had the 530HCx in it...but checking on their website shows it either "out of stock or backordered".

Sent Garmin a note, but no response as of yet. Has anyone seen/heard of the release, and if so, who's got it in stock?

Color me anxious :ninja:

Bill

Regarding new Rino 530 HCX........I ride dirt bikes here in Idaho. I currently own RINO 530.....My Friends and I have rinos but have been waiting to upgrade. Cabela's got some in.....but my friend beat me to the punch. He bought his and now they are awaiting the next order.

Went to the mountains riding yesterday. I compared mine with his new HCX. We are riding in his truck going down the highway and I took both Rinos and "hid" them under the dash. Pulled them out and his new HCX had 5 satlites showing and mine had none.

We are up on a mountain trail elavation at 6400 nothing above but sky. His had 9 satlites and mine showed 7.....

From what I have seen it is worth the upgrade....I'm going to get one. Bought a 2 gig card already. Now just waitng on Cabela's

Question: Do all the Rino radio models communicate to each other? I would like to buy a 530 HCx for myself, and a handful of Rino 110s for friends to use when we are all trail riding together, or for the kids to use around the neighborhood.

I know they have different Tx powers, but do the frequencies match for use with each other. Also, does the "pinpoint your friends" feature work well between models?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Question: Do all the Rino radio models communicate to each other? I would like to buy a 530 HCx for myself, and a handful of Rino 110s for friends to use when we are all trail riding together, or for the kids to use around the neighborhood.

I know they have different Tx powers, but do the frequencies match for use with each other. Also, does the "pinpoint your friends" feature work well between models?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Matt,

The frequencies work among all the RINO units...in fact, regular FRS/GMRS radios also communicate

well with RINO....if they have the same channels & codes.

The Peer Positioning should also work among the entire RINO family (I know for certain it does between the 110-120-130 units), but I have not yet used the 520 or 530 (HCx or otherwise). I'm sure someone who has will chime in.

Bill

My 530HCx is due in on the 25th. I am under the impression that it will work fine, but I will be able to confirm that for you when I get mine in (if no one else can sooner). We have a 110 in the household.

My wife recently upgraded (from the 110) to a 60CSx and the reception indoors and inside cars is remarkable. I anticipate that the 530HCx will perform similarly.

Matt,

The frequencies work among all the RINO units...in fact, regular FRS/GMRS radios also communicate

well with RINO....if they have the same channels & codes.

The Peer Positioning should also work among the entire RINO family (I know for certain it does between the 110-120-130 units), but I have not yet used the 520 or 530 (HCx or otherwise). I'm sure someone who has will chime in.

Bill

In regard to "peer position".......ALL Rinos have this ability. Your radio has to be on the same freguency setting and you must have "polling" turned on....

All rinos will be able to contact each other. However , keep in mind, it is mostly line of sight.....Large buildings and high ridges or dense trees will not help the rino radio fuctions.

That being said....This weekend my riding partner got seperated and we were able to find each other using the "polling" feature. We were less then a half mile apart in trees and he come up on the map screen with his name and location.............Pretty Neat............

Thanks for the help! We currently use iCom radios for communication, and they work really good. But I was hoping that the radio features of the Rino would be strrong enough that we wouldn't have to carry multiple devices. Too bad the frequency range is up in the 400+ Mhz... it would be nice to use them with our current iComs.

Matt

In regard to "peer position".......ALL Rinos have this ability. Your radio has to be on the same freguency setting and you must have "polling" turned on....

All rinos will be able to contact each other. However , keep in mind, it is mostly line of sight.....Large buildings and high ridges or dense trees will not help the rino radio fuctions.

That being said....This weekend my riding partner got seperated and we were able to find each other using the "polling" feature. We were less then a half mile apart in trees and he come up on the map screen with his name and location.............Pretty Neat............

I'm looking at buying a pair of Rhino's as a gift for a friend. I have a question about the "Peer-to-Peer function".

I see you mention the "polling" feature needing to be enabled, could you expand on that?

Does leaving the units ON keep this function enabled?

If not, what do you have to do in order another Rhino unit to be able to continually see your location?

We have both owned Garmin GPS's for quite a few years and are pretty familiar with them, I've just never had the opportunity to dink around with a Rhino.

The reason I ask is my friend spends a lot of time in the back country, he has gone into diabetic seizers in the past. It's not like he gets a warning of a seizer coming on and after the fact the simplest of steps to make this function work would be impossible.

To JeffAlaska:

The "polling" is easy to set up. It is in you Radio page set up.

You want to ENABLE the polling or peer to peer function.

Next you want to setup the same channel to use and monitor with the same squelch code........This means your radio will only accept these signals

With that done and the radio ON You or your buddy can send a "location" every time they "key" the mike. If they are in range they will come in on your map................

If you give yourselfs name in the set up stages the Name of your friend will be there also

To JeffAlaska:

The "polling" is easy to set up. It is in you Radio page set up.

You want to ENABLE the polling or peer to peer function.

Next you want to setup the same channel to use and monitor with the same squelch code........This means your radio will only accept these signals

With that done and the radio ON You or your buddy can send a "location" every time they "key" the mike. If they are in range they will come in on your map................

If you give yourselfs name in the set up stages the Name of your friend will be there also

Thanks a lot for the reply. that's exactly the information I needed.........

Does anyone know how well the "High-sensitivity receiver" compares against the SIRF III chip? A friend is interested in the Rhino's for hunting here in Washington with primary usage in dense forest and rugged topography. I have the 60Csx and am very pleased with reception, just trying to find out if the new chip is comparable.

Thanks