Birthday Geocache

Hello!

I searched around and could not find any information on this. I am celebrating my 30th birthday this July and my wife and I want to do something different.

We want to get all my family and friends together and to do a multi-cache hunt. We would pick the locations and the cache. Then we would break everyone into teams and have them go hunting. This would be at a central location, like a big park that we could hide the caches well spread out.

Our dilema is that we don't know where we can get GPS units. I see that their is a company for corporate outings, but this isn't that fancy or large scale. We want to get our family and friends interested in Geocaching, so most of them do not have units.

We thought we could get the units and preprogram them ahead of time with the multicache coordinates.

Please help! Have you done this before or know where we can get the units (rent them)?

Thanks!

Jeff

Milwaukee, WI

I've seen events listed before that had established cachers leading groups of non cachers, you may try inviting some cachers to your party. If you don't already know some local cachers, there should be a local group with a website where you could cantact some. You will want to see if there are any events you can attend in otder to meet some. If it is important for you to stick to a guest list you already had in mind, maybe some of those local cachers have old gps units they can loan.

If all else fails, you could always fork out the money to buy how many you need, and then return them when you are done.....

If all else fails, you could always fork out the money to buy how many you need, and then return them when you are done.....

I think your local geocaching group is the best shot. See if someone will loan you spare GPSr's or see if any of them will lead groups of your family.

Regarding buying the units and returning them to the store when you are done, I'm going to assume that Write Shop Robert forgot the :o .

I think your local geocaching group is the best shot. See if someone will loan you spare GPSr's or see if any of them will lead groups of your family.

Regarding buying the units and returning them to the store when you are done, I'm going to assume that Write Shop Robert forgot the :D .

:D

I know of a place around here that rents out GPSr's, but I'm not sure about the pricing. A school last year had a science night. They got some sort of group to help out, and they had GPSr's leading groups. I'll try an find out who it was...

Edited by Dew Crew

I don't really have a great answer - but how about this:

Maybe decide how many you need (3 - 1 for each of the 3 teams) as an example) - then post that info in the Garage sale topic here on this site. You never know - someone may have a few used ones they will sell to you for a good price.

At the end of the party - if there are folks who really dug the hunt - ask them if they would like to buy them off ya for what you paid - or better yet - give it to em. What goes around comes around!

Hope that helped and I hope you have a great birthday!

I don't really have a great answer - but how about this:

Maybe decide how many you need (3 - 1 for each of the 3 teams) as an example) - then post that info in the Garage sale topic here on this site. You never know - someone may have a few used ones they will sell to you for a good price.

At the end of the party - if there are folks who really dug the hunt - ask them if they would like to buy them off ya for what you paid - or better yet - give it to em. What goes around comes around!

Hope that helped and I hope you have a great birthday!

Nice idea.