Trading etiquette advice needed

tower62

I'm new to geocaching. When I go after a TB or coin specifically to further it on its way, can I make an equitable trade on the side while still retrieving the TB?

Thank you all for replying. I will update my geocaching etiquette mindware appropriately. :)

Edited by tower62
I'm new to geocaching. When I go after a TB or coin specifically to further it on its way, can I make an equitable trade on the side while still retrieving the TB?

If you take a TB you do not need to leave anything as a trade. If you would like to trade for other items in a cache, thats fine too. If you take a coin or TB (to move to another cache), that is acceptable to leave nothing.

DOH- Trumped. LOL.

Edited by knight2000

If you take swag, it's YOURS. Always leave swag in exchange.

TBs and Geocoins are not swag. They remain the property of the OWNER. You are just moving it on for the owner. You can't trade something that you don't own.

So, YES, you can trade swag as well as take and/or drop off TBs and Geocoins.

You DON'T have to leave another TB in exchange for a TB you take, because no change in ownership occurs.

However, if you happen to have a TB or Geocoin with you, then it would be a nice idea to leave it in the cache (if it fulfills the mission of the TB or Geocoin). Why? Because some geocachers, myself included, enjoy finding TBs and Geocoins, and will specifically hunt geocaches that are known to contain them.

Note: Some cache owners, especially "TB Hotel" caches, like to put a trade stipulation on their caches. They ask for you to leave a TB if you take one. This is quite presumptuous because they are not the owner of the TBs that pass through their cache. In fact, such caches are sometimes referred to as TB PRISONS because TBs languish as cachers visit the cache without TBs in hand to exchange.

Edited by michigansnorkeler