Garmin 76/60 comparison?

Tell me why the 76csx is cheaper than a 60csx? It seems to me that the 76 has everything that the 60 has got, but the 76 floats. THat seems to make the 76 better in my opinion (I'm a canoe'r.)

Could someone shed some light on this subject. (This is my first post here.)

Thanks, Jeremiah.

Tell me why the 76csx is cheaper than a 60csx? It seems to me that the 76 has everything that the 60 has got, but the 76 floats. THat seems to make the 76 better in my opinion (I'm a canoe'r.)

Thanks, Jeremiah.

For me it's like VHS vs Beta or Mac vs. Windows. Popular opinion influences choice but doesn't necassarily always indicate superiority.

Just a guess: Econ 101. I would bet that Garmin mis-judged relative demand, for whatever reason, and their supply of the 76 units is too high.

Yeah, must be...I could swear when I bought my unit (60CSx) a year ago that it was cheaper than the 76CSx.

Thanks, Jeremiah.

For me it's like VHS vs Beta or Mac vs. Windows. Popular opinion influences choice but doesn't necassarily always indicate superiority.

Not trying to nitpick, but a more correct comparison would be two different models of the same brand--such as 2 different Panasonic VCRs.

Garmin vs Magellan would fit the VHS vs Beta, Mac vs PC comparison.

Thanks, Jeremiah.

Not trying to nitpick, but a more correct comparison would be two different models of the same brand--such as 2 different Panasonic VCRs.

Man, that's quite the post. THanks for the link!

So it looks like personal preference and supply and demand is pushing the price up on the 60. I think I'll continue to think the 76 is the one for me though.

So why won't the 76csx make a good driving gps? I know it works for the offroad hiking type stuff since I use one for my job, but I have never used a "car based" gps much, so I don't know what makes a good gps unit for that type of activity. What does the best car based gps's do that makes them the best?

How many times do we have to discuss 60/76?

Do a search and you will find at least 10 threads comparing these two.

Same GPS, different wrapping.

Both unit’s floats, but 76 do float better.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162866

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=158858

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=139022

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=156346

Edited by jotne

How many times do we have to discuss 60/76?

Do a search and you will find at least 10 threads comparing these two.

Same GPS, different wrapping.

Both unit’s floats, but 76 do float better.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162866

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=158858

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=139022

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=156346

He's right you know... :rolleyes:

...So why won't the 76csx make a good driving gps? I know it works for the offroad hiking type stuff since I use one for my job, but I have never used a "car based" gps much, so I don't know what makes a good gps unit for that type of activity. What does the best car based gps's do that makes them the best?

The autonav units have touch screen. That makes a huge difference when typing in an address. The screens are generally bigger and a lot brighter. You can actually see all of the written directions on those screens. They have a 3D view of the road which makes it easier to visually see where the unit wants you to go. In big cities, some of those streets are practically on top of each other when viewing the 76CSx. They actually tell you the directions in whatever language you pick rather than just beeping. The usually don't come with the maps on a DVD. After getting the Nuvi 660, I called Garmin and they sent me a DVD of City Navigator 8. If you pay a few extra bucks, $60/year?, you can get traffic data on your compatible autonav unit. It will show slow traffic and offer to route around it.

The 76/60 series can hold routes that you've created on your computer. I haven't seen an autonav unit that can have one route with multiple waypoints. The handheld can has a trackback feature. The autonavs don't.

The Nuvi 660 can play mp3s and Audible books. The GPSr will stop the music and say the directions, then play the music again. It also can be hooked up to your compatible cellphone. Hands-free calling is always nice. Especially in CA, USA when a new law goes into effect on 7-1-2008 banning driving while holding a cellphone. I can transmit all sounds from the unit to my car stereo.

Edited by Seedillume

You did not read trough the links?

60CSx do not sink

Here is some info found in one of the liks.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2361118443564888241

If you use standard batteries it WILL SINK. Only very lightweight batteries kept it off the bottom. A fine point you neglect to mention.

That's like having a small boat and three motors. If you use only a paddle or the lightest motor you might be OK. Would you just tell a friend who wanted to borrow it "This small boat will float with a motor on it. Pick one".

If noobie questions bother you and you are only going to contribute misleading info, perhaps you should pass by these topics.

Thanks, Jeremiah.

You're right, that is nitpicking - it's the same point regardless.

The 76, or the 60, will make a decent navigation unit for your vehicle. My husband uses his every day in his job. He is a regional truck driver, and has to navigate his way to small private farms down county roads. He uses the bean-bag type holder for his 60, and likes that fact that he can easily move the unit from truck to car. Or just move it out of the sight of vandals. We also use it for traveling to strange cities. IN addition to beeping at you, it flashes written turn information on the screen before returning you to the map view.

It could be a little easier to get off the stand to use for geocaching. If you are driving with the unit plugged into the car (which you should be doing, since it make the batteries alst practically forever) then you have to unplug the unit and then unsnap it from the holder. It's a tad awkward to unplug it while it's hooked into the base.

The thing that swayed me the most from looking at a 76 was the buttons are at the top of the unit. Your hands are lower than your eyes so the natural thing would be to have the buttons at the bottom of the unit. Then when you type , your hand isnt obscuring the screen.

I dunno. Call me Quazzy.

The thing that swayed me the most from looking at a 76 was the buttons are at the top of the unit. Your hands are lower than your eyes so the natural thing would be to have the buttons at the bottom of the unit. Then when you type , your hand isnt obscuring the screen.

I dunno. Call me Quazzy.

You use your thumb on the buttons. The lower buttons on the 60 are a tad more ackward. (You can't reach with your thumb and have to call your other hand into play or scoot the GPS up until your thumb can reach).

It looks acwkard until you actually use it.

The 76, or the 60, will make a decent navigation unit for your vehicle. My husband uses his every day in his job. He is a regional truck driver, and has to navigate his way to small private farms down county roads. He uses the bean-bag type holder for his 60, and likes that fact that he can easily move the unit from truck to car. Or just move it out of the sight of vandals. We also use it for traveling to strange cities. IN addition to beeping at you, it flashes written turn information on the screen before returning you to the map view.

It could be a little easier to get off the stand to use for geocaching. If you are driving with the unit plugged into the car (which you should be doing, since it make the batteries alst practically forever) then you have to unplug the unit and then unsnap it from the holder. It's a tad awkward to unplug it while it's hooked into the base.

Good summary.