UTM vs Lat/Long

Yes it can among other coordinates. I really expected this to be a discussion of which one to use. A simple yes saddens me :)

Alright. For Geocaching you should use Lat/lon, Hddd mm.mmm. UTM is for use with Topographic maps that use UTM, such as USGS Topo maps. Once you understand UTM it is really pretty powerful and easy. The topo maps have grid lines that are a given distance apart in meters (5000 meters IIRC) if the GPS says you are easting 4000 meters, you can look on the map and estimate a north-south line 4/5 the way between two grid lines. Do the same thing with your northing, and you should be able to fidn your position on a paper map fairly accurately.

Yes it can among other coordinates. I really expected this to be a discussion of which one to use. A simple yes saddens me :)

If it would make you feel any better, I would greatly appreciate a detailed explanation of UTM and even info on how to convert between lat/lon, UTM and that other one that is X,Y,Z referenced to the center of the earth. I have been reading a bit on these and understand the basics. But I have not been able to find enough info to allow me to generate the equations or write code to perform the conversions.

I have some code that was written by someone else with no comments at all. One of the things it does is to perform these sorts of conversions. I can reverse engineer it, but it will be a bear. The author may be willing to help out some, but I would prefer to learn as much as possible myself without bothering him. Knowledge about the conversions will help me a lot to understand the code.

I am aware that UTM divides the earth into a number of regions. Each region is mapped to a grid measured in meters rather than lat/lon coordinates. I believe the regions are small enough that the errors this mapping causes are small enough to be ignored for anything other than survey work. Where is the info on exactly what the regions are, how to convert between lat/lon and UTM and are there significant issues with tranversing the boundaries between regions?

I read that the ECEF is an XYX based description that ignores the shape of the earth and just gives a result in three space with a reference that rotates with the earth. I think I can convert to spherical coords, but it actually needs to be converted to an elipsoid defined by WGS-84. Where do I get the specs on WGS-84?

Yes it can among other coordinates. I really expected this to be a discussion of which one to use. A simple yes saddens me :huh:

If it would make you feel any better, I would greatly appreciate a detailed explanation of UTM and even info on how to convert between lat/lon, UTM and that other one that is X,Y,Z referenced to the center of the earth. I have been reading a bit on these and understand the basics. But I have not been able to find enough info to allow me to generate the equations or write code to perform the conversions.

I am aware that UTM divides the earth into a number of regions. Each region is mapped to a grid measured in meters rather than lat/lon coordinates. I believe the regions are small enough that the errors this mapping causes are small enough to be ignored for anything other than survey work. Where is the info on exactly what the regions are, how to convert between lat/lon and UTM and are there significant issues with tranversing the boundaries between regions?

I don't have the info on conversion, and what I am telling you is based on my layman's knowledge of the subject. You can get information about the regions by googling or wikiing UTM. the easiest way to convert is to mark a waypoint in Lat/lon, and change your system to UTM :blink: . From my experience UTM is really useful on a Topo map, but not all that useful without one. you can see and estimate really well where you are because it is in meters (As I stated earlier). There is a link to UTM Lat/Lon conversion on wikipedia.