GEAR REVIEW:

Coffee goes with backpacking, there’s no question about it. Watching the sunrise across a still lake with a hot cup of good coffee is a great way to start the day. The key word being ‘good’.

I know TotemLake uses something called a Cup.pour.ri One-Cup Coffee Steeper that is available at REI. I was looking for something a little easier with less mess, so I picked up two products to do some side by side comparison. I heated water in my jet-boil just like I would in camp, and I even used water from Bridal Veil Falls that I filtered with my new Katadyn water filter (another thread for later).

f998f4e2-8d7d-4e7c-97e8-97e9a5bfd19d.jpg

The first one is Java Juice, $1.25 for a single serving pouch. This is a liquid coffee (concentrated) extract in a pouch. You tear the top off, pour it in your cup, and add hot water. It seems like an intriguing idea and simple to make. My first thought was, “what if it breaks open in my pack”. Well, let’s overlook that for now. While I was waiting for the jet-boil I opened the pouch and poured the concentrate in my cup. Ick. It smells like old coffee. I shut off the burner just before the water began to boil and added it to the cup. aa81dba9-184d-4282-bb21-37c74f048719.jpg

It tastes every bit as bad as it smells. Thumbs down for the Java Juice.

Next up, Mud Gourmet Coffee, $1.50 per pouch and each pouch contains two filter bags. Similar to a tea bag, this one has ground coffee inside a filter which is steeped in hot water.

1d0f3484-a82f-464d-a24e-ba9dfac2241a.jpg

I was turned on to this product by a veteran hiker. It’s sometimes hard to find, and I bought the last five pouches at REI. After five minutes of steeping and stirring, it was ready.

f5916bd0-9949-481b-b9fb-33057dd76d6d.jpg

This isn’t bad, in fact, it’s actually pretty good. Thumbs up for Mud!

Now, what do you do with the filter pouch after you’ve used it? Save it. After you’ve used the second pouch, use both filter pouches together to make a third cup. I tried just that, I added the pouch I had just used with one I used several days ago, and made another good cup of coffee.

b8f57e19-e92a-4f65-a822-5e02fcbc0259.jpg

Edited by Criminal

The pouches are good but have a problem at 14,000. The water boils at a much lower temperature and it isn't hot enough to make a really good cup unless you return it to the heat half way through. This bring it backup to a high enough temp to really steep the coffee.

I use a Melita one cup coffee maker that works well be has the same problem at high altitude.

Folgers makes a product similar to to the mud gourmet stuff called Folgers Singles. It's drinkable, and a lot cheaper then the "backpacking" coffee.

I tried those many years ago and went straight to grinding my own coffee beans. A fresh grind is put in the backpack each month.

Agreed the coffee steeper I have is a bit messy, but the grounds are good for the foliage and decompose well. The only thing I would have to remember is to toss the grounds more than 50 feet from the campsite for overnight hikes.

Well, that might work there in the Nutmeg State, but out here we like our coffee to taste like coffee, not crystals...

:)

Well, it doesn't taste burnt, like most of the coffee in WA, that is true. But it's not instant freeze dried stuff. It's regular ground coffee in a teabag, just like:

f5916bd0-9949-481b-b9fb-33057dd76d6d.jpg

The only difference is that instead of $1.50 for 2 coffee bags, it's more like $5 for 20 coffee bags.

Edited by Mopar

Folgers makes a product similar to to the mud gourmet stuff called Folgers Singles. It's drinkable, and a lot cheaper then the "backpacking" coffee.

I've been using them here for a while now,except the Maxwell house ones.One is WAY to weak,two is barely passable,but I would agree that they do cost less.I tend to drink my coffee on the kick a mule side of the strength scale,with nothing in it.

However,thanks for the review Criminal.I never knew all of this high tech coffee stuff exsisted till I saw it here!I'm looking forward to more gear reviews.

I tried Java Juice a few weeks ago. It tasted way too much like weak instant coffee. Bleh.

I've used Folgers singles a few times. Not a bad route to go. I like my coffee really strong, though. I find it really hard to get any of these products to the strength I desire.

If I can't have my coffee hot, I'll drink it ice cold (never lukewarm though). I took some iced coffee with me this weekend. Much easier to manage while out camping.

Bret

Has anyone ever tried one of the coffee presses? I bought a small one and it works good. My issue with it is the grounds.

A quality French press makes the BEST coffee, hands down.

I’d considered toting a small French press on overnighters; in fact I looked at a lexan one at REI on Sunday. (I am skeptical of lexan though, as the fit seemed pretty loose.) It came down to convenience again though. I suppose I could rinse out the press afterwards in a stream or lake if one were available, but that seems like littering (or even polluting) to me. So with no effective way of cleaning the pot, it’s sort of a one use system.

If I were to car-camp at the trailhead (something we’ve done before to allow an early start) I could bring along my glass French press since clean-up can be done when I get home.

Like you though, I also enjoy to a good cup of tea. It will likely come down to whatever mood strikes me while I’m packing my gear the night before the trip as to which I’ll bring.

LOL,all this talk about coffee singles and here I am enjoying a cup.

Also,I forgot to add before that I hope you review that water filter next.I've been interested in one of those compact water filters for a long time,but never had the money.If you have more than I'd be nice to see a comparison of all of them if possible.

Also,I forgot to add before that I hope you review that water filter next.I've been interested in one of those compact water filters for a long time,but never had the money.If you have more than I'd be nice to see a comparison of all of them if possible.

Well, unless you're sending me a big check, I'll only be comparing the two I currently own.

Well, unless you're sending me a big check, I'll only be comparing the two I currently own.

:D

Bud,I'd love to buy lots of folks lots of things,but until I find that 40 pound gold nugget in my gold panning adventures,you'll just have to make due. :ph34r:

A big packer/hiker such as you I'd have thought you had quite the collection o' gear.I know since I started hunting at 8 and fishing at 4,I'm completely amazed by what I've collected though my travels.I swear off the top of my head I could review at least 10 different model broadheads,25 different brands of .22LR ammo,probably 10 different arrow sizes and models,numerous rifles,bows and fishing rods/reels. :) I need more room! :)

I have the lexan french press from REI and I swear by it. I'm a junkie and instant just doesn't cut it, so I'll carry the extra weight to have fresh coffee. Yes, the press is a pain to clean, but coffee grounds are all natural biodegradable. Just scrape the used grounds into a ziploc and pack it back out. If water is available and you want the pot cleaner, just give it a little swish and dump it on the ground away from the water source.

Maybe your concern about the fit was for the single-cup model? I have the larger model since there's two of us and we split the gear. The neoprene cozy keeps the coffee nice and hot on a chilly morning (I guess that's assuming you can get the water hot enough in the first place!)

Has anyone ever tried one of the coffee presses? I bought a small one and it works good. My issue with it is the grounds.

I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife is. I generally make it though because I'm usually first to rise. We use a 10 oz lexan French press if its just the two of us.

If I'm going with a larger group I use an old fashioned, aluminum percolator.

I grind beans before we leave and pack it in single servings for each day in a vacuum food pouch.

The grinds are biodegradable. I'll usually just take them a ways into the woods and spread them around.

Edited by briansnat

I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife is. I generally make it though because I'm usually first to rise. We use a 10 oz lexan French press if its just the two of us.

If I'm going with a larger group I use an old fashioned, aluminum percolator.

I grind beans before we leave and pack it in single servings for each day in a vacuum food pouch.

The grinds are biodegradable. I'll usually just take them a ways into the woods and spread them around.

:rolleyes:

THAT looks like a great little item.I was wondering what the heck a french press was...I should have looked it up.I think that going on my wish list.

"I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife is. I generally make it though because I'm usually first to rise. We use a 10 oz lexan French press if its just the two of us."

That's the one I have, although mine is black and I assume the one at backcountrygear.com also comes with the neoprene sleeve although it doesn't mention it on the webpage? Should since they're both GSI. That press makes a serious cup of java!

"I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife is. I generally make it though because I'm usually first to rise. We use a 10 oz lexan French press if its just the two of us."

That's the one I have, although mine is black and I assume the one at backcountrygear.com also comes with the neoprene sleeve although it doesn't mention it on the webpage? Should since they're both GSI. That press makes a serious cup of java!

No neoprene sleeve. I don't see the need. Pretty indestructible.

For car camping we have a insulated french press that makes 4 cups (campmor), it's absolutely awesome and I don't have to worry about taking and breaking my glass one (not to mention the insulated factor).

For a pack a friend turned me on to instant espresso and cocoa mix, makes an awesome mocha and you only need a little bit of each! She's a serious packer and never leaves without it, I can see why!

Well, that might work there in the Nutmeg State, but out here we like our coffee to taste like coffee, not crystals...

Ya gotta remeber Mopar that we're dealing with Washington folks here who have coffee shops on every corner as well as Peet's and Starbucks flowing through their veins :o .

I don't drink too much coffee anymore but the Folgers packs work fine for me.

Edited by kealia

:o

Ya gotta remeber Mopar that we're dealing with Washington folks here who have coffee shops on every corner as well as Peet's and Starbucks flowing through their veins :o .

I don't drink too much coffee anymore but the Folgers packs work fine for me.

Basically.Although I can't say much,what with Green Mountain Coffee and all.Only difference is the town general stores sell it,not big coffee shops. :)

Thumbs way down on the Jetboil french press (and sully the Jetboil?!) Oh, and it's a poor press, too. Unless you like a lot of grounds in your coffee... some are to be expected... many are not.

I've looked at the lexan press made by GSI, but haven't convinced myself the bulk of the unit is where I want to go... I'd almost be better off, (quality wise) if I just packed in the 8 cup thermal press I have at home. Ok, maybe not, but it's a nice little slice of coffee making heaven.

Sorry, Mope, Folgers isn't an acceptable substitute...

I've also tried the MUD brand coffee bags and feel just about the same about them. Eh. It was pretty 'lite' on the coffee scale but I tend to lean more towards coffee that, on an empty stomach gives me quite buzz in the morning - the whole blood pounding, headrush, dizzy feeling. (Hey, I said empty stomach!)

We drink pretty dark, and freshly ground coffee on a daily basis...

I read another suggestion on nwhikers where a woman uses reusable 'filter' bags and brings her own coffee closed in the bag for her trips. I considered it, but all that sewing is a little too domestic... and then you've got the bags left to deal with when you're done.

So, instead, off the rec here, I bought TL's coffee maker of choice, the cup.pour.ri and was handed a cup of coffee that had been made with it and contained nice french roast.

OMG. Night and day over the bags.

I would be hard pressed to identify a cup of that against one made with a french press - it had the same body and oils in the cup sans stray grounds. Darker than a cup of the same beans made with a drip machine and it was pretty kick a**.

Whee! An absolutely amazing difference.

Haven't decided of we'll use a small lock & lock for fresh grounds on the the trail, or it's been suggested we just use a freezer zip-lock for them. Could also vac pack, too.

Totemlake, how do you carry your loose grounds?

michelle

Totemlake, how do you carry your loose grounds?

I use a little snack zip lock baggie. Now the double-ziplocks have come out I'm considering using those. The incredible difference between a baggie and a lock n lock is bulk and packability. The ziplock can be stuffed into the same pouch as the stove, possibly into the same cup you drink out of. My grounds are refreshed every month or before a hike.

For the record, I buy my beans for brewing and I use a freshly ground medium roast when put into the baggie. That also means the baggie is replaced each time. No stale residual is allowed.

SquareBear roasts his own and I'm considering going in that direction as well. Talk about freshly roasted and ground coffee. mmmmmmm

Edited by TotemLake

I use a little snack zip lock baggie. Now the double-ziplocks have come out I'm considering using those. The incredible difference between a baggie and a lock n lock is bulk and packability.

This coffee thing is starting to sound like a political debate! A hot topic, certainly.

Having tried TL’s coffee maker (I did, he didn’t! :) ) on a day hike HOM, I have to agree that it makes a terrific cup, and I would consider one for day hikes. I’m trying to find the article I read about someone carrying ground coffee on a multi-night backpacking trip, but it was a long time ago. To paraphrase, it seems that one in the party had a French press and carried the grounds. I don’t remember how it was bagged; i.e., ziplock, Tupperware, or whatever. The gist of it was that they suspected coffee scent permeated everything in their pack, including the pack itself. This was discovered in the morning when the hiker found a rodent had chewed through their pack.

This was not a huge problem; their pack just became the ‘bear bag’ and was hung in a tree every night with everyone’s food in it. I would worry about the tent though, and the possibility that something bigger might pick up the scent of coffee on it. Just what I need, a bear jonesing for a coffee fix!

I suspect a L&L would take care of that though.

Still, there’s a lot to be said for a cup of good tea.

SquareBear roasts his own and I'm considering going in that direction as well. Talk about freshly roasted and ground coffee. mmmmmmm

That sounds good!

I use a little snack zip lock baggie. Now the double-ziplocks have come out I'm considering using those. The incredible difference between a baggie and a lock n lock is bulk and packability.

This coffee thing is starting to sound like a political debate! A hot topic, certainly.

Having tried TL’s coffee maker (I did, he didn’t! :) ) on a day hike HOM, I have to agree that it makes a terrific cup, and I would consider one for day hikes. I’m trying to find the article I read about someone carrying ground coffee on a multi-night backpacking trip, but it was a long time ago. To paraphrase, it seems that one in the party had a French press and carried the grounds. I don’t remember how it was bagged; i.e., ziplock, Tupperware, or whatever. The gist of it was that they suspected coffee scent permeated everything in their pack, including the pack itself. This was discovered in the morning when the hiker found a rodent had chewed through their pack.

This was not a huge problem; their pack just became the ‘bear bag’ and was hung in a tree every night with everyone’s food in it. I would worry about the tent though, and the possibility that something bigger might pick up the scent of coffee on it. Just what I need, a bear jonesing for a coffee fix!

I suspect a L&L would take care of that though.

Still, there’s a lot to be said for a cup of good tea.

That sounds good!

REI now carries two sizes of O.P. (Odor Proof) Sacs. Handled correctly these sacks will not allow the odor to permeate. I bought both sizes and am ready to test it/them on the next outing. The BackpackGearTest review is pretty good for odor proofing and durability and may still allow for better packaging than a lock n lock. I'll post a review on the next hike.

At last year's camp out, I had my coffee grounds double bagged in double ziplocked baggies and had no problems with rodents small or large.

Edited by TotemLake

I bought my wife this home coffee roaster for Mother's Day. The website says a hot air popcorn popper will do the trick.

My wife is more of a coffee drinker than I, but the difference between fresh roasted coffee and store bought is incredible. It's like the difference between fresh baked bread and Wonder bread.

Folgers coffee ~ Wonder bread

Pre-roasted, whole beans, home ground ~ bakery baguette

Home-roasted, home-ground coffee ~ home baked bread

Also, green, unroasted coffee beans are about half the price of roasted whole beans.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

That teeth chattering is for lightweights.

Must. Have. Coffee.

It keeps the headaches at bay.

Odor proof bags: have seen them - have not acquired them... have thought about it.

Food odors:

The L&L does NOT keep the coffee scent sealed in. I've taken a couple of days worth of ground beans in one while roadtripping and anytime the container with the food was open, a waft of yummy coffee smell came out. "Hey guys, smell this!"

It's a bit of a toss-up on which way is better for more than a day outing. Hot tea, probably.

Bear jonesing: I'd be MORE worried about my trail mates than a bear. But, if it's really that big of an issue (bears in camp) you should probably be carrying an ursack or a bear (not beer) can. Hopefully the smell of what's in your ursack will keep them away from eau de tent. It could be strategically placed for just such an eventuality, and you could keep your fingers crossed the wind doesn't change.

michelle

Friggin' SeaTac coffee snobs! :laughing:

Thinks that Starpucks burnt cr@p is decent coffee.

I've found ONE place out there that has normal coffee (Randy's)like the rest of the world drinks. (dadgum hippies! (Oh wait, wrong thread, sorry)

No, folgers isnt great coffee even by non-PNW stardards, but it's real coffee, real simple. It compares to "great" coffee the same way the rest of the food on the trip compares to a good meal at home. I'm sure you ain't eating steak 3 days down the trail either. Now, back to a tamer topic, like "Democrats eat boogers" or something.

PS: good to see ya posting again, CGal!

Edited by Mopar
I use a little snack zip lock baggie. Now the double-ziplocks have come out I'm considering using those. The incredible difference between a baggie and a lock n lock is bulk and packability. The ziplock can be stuffed into the same pouch as the stove, possibly into the same cup you drink out of. My grounds are refreshed every month or before a hike.

I grind the coffee just before we leave and I use one of these and put each morning's serving in its ownl pouch.

1631.jpg

Friggin' SeaTac coffee snobs! :anicute:

Thinks that Starpucks burnt cr@p is decent coffee.

I've found ONE place out there that has normal coffee (Randy's)like the rest of the world drinks. (dadgum hippies! (Oh wait, wrong thread, sorry)

No, folgers isnt great coffee even by non-PNW stardards, but it's real coffee, real simple. It compares to "great" coffee the same way the rest of the food on the trip compares to a good meal at home. I'm sure you ain't eating steak 3 days down the trail either. Now, back to a tamer topic, like "Democrats eat boogers" or something.

PS: good to see ya posting again, CGal!

Thanks Mopey... ya big lug.

Just because the rest of the world drinks different coffee... doesn't mean it's right!

Pretty soon I'm going to have to add to the 'camp luxuries' thread... "I carry my 2.5 pound stainless, thermal french press... and I drink all 32 oz of it by myself... every morning." (That's a helluvalot of ground coffee to pack too, 8 to 10 TBS a pot!)

Good thing the rest of my gear is ultralight. :laughing:

michelle

I'm not a coffee snob, but I do like STRONG coffee. I use the Folgers singles (not great, but good enuf). The difference is I don't use them like you're supposed to. I rip the strings off and put 3-4 of them in the pot and them heat the water (several cups). You get more flavor and a stronger cup of coffee.

I packed my coffee in a double-zip ziplock bag and put that in an O.P. (Odor Proof) Sack then put that in a Garcia Bear Canister. After 24 hours, the coffee permeated the can. The O.P. Sack works okay, but it isn't perfect. Known quality control issues are with these where there will be little pin holes near and beneath the zipper. The recommended test is to fill the bag with air then submerge it to see if it seals properly. So far, I've had 2 out of 3 fail. The package comes with 3 baggies.

The third one we had to throw away anyway. It was used to hold 2 sealed baggies of dog poop on a recent 6 mile hike and although it held the odor very well so there were no offensive odors permeating from the backpack, it is a permanent osmosis into the plastic. Washing it and using baking soda couldn't begin to remove the odor.

I'm not a coffee snob, but I do like STRONG coffee. I use the Folgers singles (not great, but good enuf). The difference is I don't use them like you're supposed to. I rip the strings off and put 3-4 of them in the pot and them heat the water (several cups). You get more flavor and a stronger cup of coffee.

I agree, for a several day trip I can live with singles pouches. I put them on to boil for a few minutes (about two bags per cup) then pour brew. It's far better than just stepping.

I agree, for a several day trip I can live with singles pouches. I put them on to boil for a few minutes (about two bags per cup) then pour brew. It's far better than just stepping.

I want to revive this topic because BC coffee is a subject that is near and dear to me.

Let me begin by stating that I am a coffee fiend. At home and even car camping no bean is ground until right before it is to be brewed.

My personal favorite is the drip method/Melita filter cone #4 although I've been known to use a #2 sometimes. I own a beautiful white porcelain cone that I got from Melita. It's heavy and the porcelain conducts heat so boiling water poured through it remains hotter than plain old plastic.

I've tried nearly every BC coffee device, contraption, method and product. These just aren't practical for carrying in my backpack into the BC so fresh ground coffee is out.

Now, bags are for tea and create waste.

Concentrate is just old coffee and the packaging is a nuisance.

French presses are bulky and waste resources to clean.

The Italian Mocha pot isn't any better.

After experimenting I've found a few instant powdered cappuccino or cafe au lait mixes are actually quite tasty, require minimum packaging and create no waste whatsoever. They're caffeinated which is important. We're not after gussied-up cocoa mix here now are we? The secret to carrying bulk powders in the BC is to avoid zip-lock bags. The track or zipper on these bags are easily jammed and fouled with whatever powder they contain. Use a twist tie to seal it shut.

Anyway, the best product that I've found was at the supermarket. Folgers Straight Up Cafe Latte has it all: coffee taste, caffeine and ease of portability and prep. Also it's not too sweet which is the problem with most instant mixes. It goes well with spirits should you be lucky enough to be packing some Jack Daniel.

Here's what it looks like. I understand that it can be difficult to find but it's worth the hunt.

Happy camping!

514QKPTQK0L._SS500_.jpg

My wife likes her coffee on the trail, but I'm not really a coffee person. I'd rather have cocoa or tea (loose leaf prevents tea bag trash you have to pack out).

My wife tried the java juice and was repulsed by it. She uses some fancy creamers in single serve containers we got at Sam's, and no amount of that stuff got rid of the staleness of the java juice. After that, it was back to regular grounds and the MSR mug mate. Carrying and cleaning those backcountry contraptions is not attractive to her, so they're out of the question.

My dad, on the other hand, just makes 'cowboy coffee'. Pour the grounds straight into the pot, and boil till they sink.

I've had good luck with the OP Saks keeping the coffee (and other stuff) stinks from permeating our gear. I even tend to reuse them a fair number of times, but I also treat them rather gently. I use them in conjunction with an ursack...mostly for raccoons than for bears. I've had raccoons enter camp at night and squabble, but they never seem to bother the ursack tied up just outside camp.

Some years ago I bought a mini-expresso maker from GSI Outdoors, never used it anyone else have an opinion how this would work.

I used to use one for a quick shot of espresso and they work pretty good. The encapsulated water vents out pretty quick once heated so you have to keep your eye on it. Clean up can be a bit of a mess though.

I bought one of these in a pinch while traveling... It worked better than I thought it would.

bc-17720_FULL.jpg

It's called Bene Casa 17720 aluminum espresso maker(there are other brands too and prices vary)

they come in 3 and 6 cup sizes, they are aluminum and hardly weigh anything.

simple to use, it has a screen/filter built in, put grinds in there, add water to bottom part, screw together, put on heat, when you hear it stop boiling, take off heat, and pour. It doesnt let the grinds perk, it uses a pressure method. Its only like 6inches tall.

It work just like the mini espresso makers, just has a little pot on top. And it can probably transport a couple brews worth of coffee grounds and sweetner/creamer packs inside to save space

They are like $6.00 and you can find it in alot of supermarkets in the houseware or ethnic isle. Try one you might like it , if not, it looks cute on a shelf for decoration LOL

When I make coffee while camping I kinda go the "Cowboy" method, and I dont care if it is blasphemy to the gourmet java-heads plbtbtbtt :D LOL

Edited by KidRipley

New coffee geek item at the homestead:

The Aeropress.

It looks like a giant horse syringe and makes a great, smooth cup of coffee.

I wasn't buying much of the hype but figured for the price I'd give it a go. It's cheap, it's plastic and rubber - therefore easily transportable, couldn't really be much easier/quicker to make a cup of coffee and a dream to clean up.

My one grumble is that you can't really make more than one cup at a time...

With another small issue being that we go through a fair bit more coffee with this than we were before: 1) we drink more and 2) we use a little more ground coffee with this than when we make drip (4 'scoops' instead of 3).

Yes, with some modification, I'll be including this in my backpack for overnighters.

The official Aeropress web page (which has Some Statements! That! Are! Just! Silly! For instance... despite their claims it does NOT make espresso.)

For more info you're better off with the Amazon reviews or the Coffee Geek search results page, or the how-to at Sweet Marias.