Pmo Cache vs member cache

mamid

There is a park that I have been itching to put a cache in ever since they redesigned it and put in a labyrinth. But a premium member put a premium members only micro/nano cache a couple of blocks over.

Would it be against the rules to put a cache of any size that is for all members, not just premium ones, that close to a premium members only cache?

Although, the rules do allow for some exceptions. I couldn't find it in there now, but I remember an example being used in the rules at one point that said if two caches are on opposite sides of a deep canyon, you could put them within 528 feet.

It also does say that it is a guideline as opposed to a rule, so if they're not too close you may be able to convince the reviewer to let you publish it.

Subject to what's said in the full text of the cache saturation guideline, in general you can put any cache 528 feet away from any other cache. The guidelines don't differentiate between Premium Member caches and regular Member caches.

I am not at all sure why Keystone and GooglingHrrptyHrs, in their posts above, are not telling you the rest of the story, but... here goes. What they have told you is true as far as it goes. However, as oldtime radio news announcer Paul Harvey useta say: "And now, for the rest of the story!"

The rest of the story, one which is kept somewhat secret in the geocaching world, but is also the reason why there is a myth in the caching world that regular caches many be placed at least one mile from Premium Member-only caches (PMOCs), is that it IS true that no caches at all, whether regular member or Premium Member type, may be placed within one mile of a Platinum Member-only cache (aka PLAMOC), and the one mile radius is defined using a formula derived from fuzzy logic, so that wiseacres cannot compute the location of a (coveted) Platinum Member-only cache from the known perimeter of the no-placement circle.

:)

:ph34r:

Subject to what's said in the full text of the cache saturation guideline, in general you can put any cache 528 feet away from any other cache. The guidelines don't differentiate between Premium Member caches and regular Member caches.

I am not at all sure why Keystone and GooglingHrrptyHrs, in their posts above, are not telling you the rest of the story, but... here goes. What they have told you is true as far as it goes. However, as oldtime radio news announcer Paul Harvey useta say: "And now, for the rest of the story!"

The rest of the story, one which is kept somewhat secret in the geocaching world, but is also the reason why there is a myth in the caching world that regular caches many be placed at least one mile from Premium Member-only caches (PMOCs), is that it IS true that no caches at all, whether regular member or Premium Member type, may be placed within one mile of a Platinum Member-only cache (aka PLAMOC), and the one mile radius is defined using a formula derived from fuzzy logic, so that wiseacres cannot compute the location of a (coveted) Platinum Member-only cache from the known perimeter of the no-placement circle.

I'm just really bummed that my platinum membership application was rejected last month. I spent a solid 4 months gathering the required references and finding the initiation caches in my area. Oh well, after my 6 month probation, I do intend to try again.

I'm just really bummed that my platinum membership application was rejected last month. I spent a solid 4 months gathering the required references and finding the initiation caches in my area. Oh well, after my 6 month probation, I do intend to try again.

I'm just gonna bribe TPTB before I submit my application.

You gotta get the RIGHT references!! With the swine behind me, I was a shoo-in!

Edited by Morgan's Marauders

like I believe in a platinum membership. *eyeroll*

I was planning on doing that park then the PMO nano showed up a couple of blocks away. I was quite upset, but honestly, I snoozed so I loosed.

By couple of blocks are you talking that it is less than 528 feet from the one that you are wanting to hide? I noticed that you are not a premium member so there really is no way of knowing for you whether or not your proposed hide is going to interfer with the PMO cache. Have you tryed to list your cache and it got revoked because of the distance guidelines? If you don't know the exact spot where the PMO cache is hidden, you can always try to list yours and if it gets published then you were far enough away.

Sent you an email mamid!

I noticed that you are not a premium member so there really is no way of knowing for you whether or not your proposed hide is going to interfer with the PMO cache.

Sure there is, assuming the other cache is a Traditional. The search page will tell you the distance from other caches, even PM caches.

I noticed that you are not a premium member so there really is no way of knowing for you whether or not your proposed hide is going to interfer with the PMO cache.

Sure there is, assuming the other cache is a Traditional. The search page will tell you the distance from other caches, even PM caches.

And that would be an interesting way to locate the coordinates of a PMO cache with a little trial and error. It'd be like a game of hotter/colder....

Of course you'd still have trouble logging it, though as I understand it there is a way around that too.

AK

Ya, GOOD LUCK!! pfff! My Platinum membership was just revoked simply because I *mentioned* it here in the forums! :blink:

<snip>

.. that it IS true that no caches at all, whether regular member or Premium Member type, may be placed within one mile of a Platinum Member-only cache (aka PLAMOC), and the one mile radius is defined using a formula derived from fuzzy logic, so that wiseacres cannot compute the location of a (coveted) Platinum Member-only cache from the known perimeter of the no-placement circle.

Not true. I've only got one PM cache near me and there are at least 3 or 4 other caches well within the mile radius!