newbie info Garmin 60 Csx

david_smiht

Hi

I am new to all this.

I read that the Garmin 60 Csx is the best.

I would hope to use is for hiking, geocashing and in the car for street navigation.

I know it does not have sound but I looking for a system that does both.

Please advise what accessories I should buy to be able to geocahe/hike and find addressees in Canadian/US cities.

Thanks in advance

Edited by david_smiht

The 60CSX is basically the cream of today's handheld units. It doesn't provide voice prompts but it does use sound. It will beep to warn of turns and you can select the sounds.

For what you are looking for, the 60CSX is a great choice. Dedicated car navigations units like the Streetpilot, Nuvi and Quest will do a better job of autorouting and something like a Lowrance iFInder Hunt might be better for hiking and geocaching, but the 60C(s)X is by far the best for doing everything well, rather than excelling at one use.

I purchased a 76CSx recently, mainly for fishing. What a surprise that it's also excellent for geocaching! I got my City Navigator NT N. America pre-programmed micro Sd card from tigergps.com. They had the best online price. The built-in basemap is pretty useless unless you are extremely familiar with an area.

Warning! - Per customer service, Garmin just changed it's update price policy for pre-programmed cards. No more "free first mail-in upgrade exchange," so make sure you get the most current version. It'll cost ya $75 each time to upgrade/unlock new map. At least they send you the DVD when the new version comes out.

I also recently purchased the 76CSx after using the Compare Tool on the Garmin site.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=351

Both are excellent units and they are almost identical including the MSRP. Main differences are:

60CSx: The antennas are different and the 60CSx will often pick up a better signal under heavy tree cover.

76CSx: Promoted more for marine applications, unit comes with basic marine mapping, and this unit floats. Also the 76CSx uses a transflective screen which (IMHO) is a little easier to see in bright sunlight, and the supplied SD card is twice as big as the one that comes with the 60CSx (128 mb vs 64).

The tie-breaker was that we plan to purchase a boat soon. I have the City Navigator maps loaded on mine and I love it for geocaching. Now if I could just find those darn micros ... :)

Clair

Dedicated car navigations units like the Streetpilot, Nuvi and Quest will do a better job of autorouting

You mention autorouting....Does the 60csx autoroute at all? If so, how good is it?

It does and does the job quite well. I rely on it constantly. Minor errors now and then, but they are pretty rare and I think any autorouting software will have a few.

Both are excellent units and they are almost identical including the MSRP. Main differences are:

60CSx: The antennas are different and the 60CSx will often pick up a better signal under heavy tree cover.

Thee 76 and 60 series use the same antenna.

Edited by briansnat