loading routes onto my Garmin 60Csx

Hi

Im a bit of a newbie when it come to hiking with my gps.

I would like to create a route, graphically on a map (clicking on a 25k OS map for example) and then upload the waypoints onto my gps unit to create a route that i can walk later.

Does anyone have a good method using some of the cheap (or freeware) software that is available, rather than having to buy (for example)Memory Map software V5 ?

I've read loads of info on this and other sites but they all appear very confusing and some even use bits of programming language in order to convert information.

I am from the KISS school of life and generally like to do things with the least effort. (There always seems to be something else to do!!)

Many thanks in advance.

Hi

I would like to create a route, graphically on a map (clicking on a 25k OS map for example) and then upload the waypoints onto my gps unit to create a route that i can walk later.

Unverified guess: maybe do it in google earth, save as .kml, then gpsbabel it to .gpx. All free, if it meets your needs.

Edited by fratermus

Hi

Does anyone have a good method using some of the cheap (or freeware) software that is available, rather than having to buy (for example)Memory Map software V5 ?

I've read loads of info on this and other sites but they all appear very confusing and some even use bits of programming language in order to convert information.

I am from the KISS school of life and generally like to do things with the least effort. (There always seems to be something else to do!!)

Many thanks in advance.

Did you get it working?

Ive got a 60CSX and am gona try this as soon as i get home...

Hi

Many thanks in advance.

Did you get it working?

Ive got a 60CSX and am gona try this as soon as i get home...

I've not got it to work yet. I think my version of Google Earth is the wrong sort for saving .kml file

But I'm still working on it!

Got it working! two ways to go -

I used trailrunner, v 1.4 that came out today today that exports as routes and not tracks..

or via google earth.

save the kml.

use gpsbabel to transform the kml to a route file. the transfer the gpx to to GPSr!

Works great... if you get lost with the tranformation command line arguements let me know..

I've not got it to work yet. I think my version of Google Earth is the wrong sort for saving .kml file

But I'm still working on it!

here how to convert the kml files to routes -

(From the developer)

KML polylines match our internal model of tracks more closely than

routes. (They have a bazillion unnamed points.) Use the 'transform'

filter to convert the track to a route if you want a route.

gpsbabel -i kml -f xxx.kml -x transform,rte=trk,del -o gpx blah.gpx

This works!

If you use a Garmin unit and have MapSource, that will do it. Google Earth can do it, but it's a pain. ExpertGPS does a nice job. Not free, but reasonably priced.