Garmin Unlock Codes

I've been following the uproar over Garmin's changes to their MapSource unlock policy. I don't own any MapSource products that require unlock codes, so what I'm wondering is this:

Can I transfer a MapSource registration from one unit to another? For example, if I upgrade from an eTrex to a 60 Csx, can I remove the MapSource registration from the eTrex before I sell it, and reinstall it on the 60 Csx?

Thanks.

I don't own any MapSource products that require unlock codes

Can I transfer a MapSource registration from one unit to another?

I don't know what you mean by MapSource registration, assuming the bit about no locked software is accurate.. You can delete/overwrite the maps from the unit you want to sell, then upload them on the new GPSr.

Thanks. What I meant was that the software is locked to one unit per unlock code. If I understand the response, I can delete the software from one unit before I sell it and use the same unlock code to install it on the upgrade unit I'm purchasing, without using the second unlock code (assuming I have one). Is that correct?

... I can delete the software from one unit before I sell it and use the same unlock code to install it on the upgrade unit I'm purchasing, without using the second unlock code (assuming I have one). Is that correct?

No. The way it works is that a Map with locked content comes with a coupon code. The unlock code is generated from this and the GPSr unit number as part of the registration process with Garmin. This allows the map to be viewed on the PC and any transferred maps viewable on the unit for which the unlock code was generated for.

You can't re-register the coupon again but currently you can generate another unlock code for a second unit - you cannot "unlock". Since the unlock codes are tied to the map and the unit IDs, they are not transferable.

Thanks. What I meant was that the software is locked to one unit per unlock code.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the "I don't own any MapSource products that require unlock codes" quote from the original post.

As the last poster indicated, locks are not portable between GPRr.

you cannot transfer unlock codes but you are allowed two units to use one unlock code.

on my 2610 no problems getting it unlocked and loaded. just picked up the legend Cx and had to call them to unlock the maps for that unit. any more than two units you have to pay up. didn't ask how much.

I have CityNavigator8 on its way in the mail to me and will be installing it on my 60CSx.

Can I also install it on more than one computer? I know I'll be putting it on a laptop I own for storm chasing, but can I also install it on my home desktop for later reference of tracks, etc...?

I have CityNavigator8 on its way in the mail to me and will be installing it on my 60CSx.

Can I also install it on more than one computer? I know I'll be putting it on a laptop I own for storm chasing, but can I also install it on my home desktop for later reference of tracks, etc...?

Yes, but I think technically according to the EULA you are only allowed to use one copy at a time (that shouldn't be too much of a restriction).

Can I transfer a MapSource registration from one unit to another? For example, if I upgrade from an eTrex to a 60 Csx, can I remove the MapSource registration from the eTrex before I sell it, and reinstall it on the 60 Csx?

A very pertinent question indeed, as many of us are likely to have been in this position or may be in the future. Unfortunately the responses so far are not addressing this question.

I bought a Vista Cx, loaded my maps onto it (hence using up one unlock code). I was not happy with the unit and sent it back to the dealer for an upgrade to the 60CSx. I emailed Garmin (UK) to ask for another unlock code to replace the one I had 'used up' on the Vista but got no reply. I had to use my second unlock code to get maps onto my 60CSx. And, of course, I only have one unit!

So, I can't answer your question as Garmin never answered it for me. I guess it might come down to whichever person you get through to at Garmin, and how generous they are feeling. They might want proof that you no longer own the unit, and that might be difficult to give them.

A very pertinent question indeed, as many of us are likely to have been in this position or may be in the future. Unfortunately the responses so far are not addressing this question.

I bought a Vista Cx, loaded my maps onto it (hence using up one unlock code). I was not happy with the unit and sent it back to the dealer for an upgrade to the 60CSx. I emailed Garmin (UK) to ask for another unlock code to replace the one I had 'used up' on the Vista but got no reply. I had to use my second unlock code to get maps onto my 60CSx. And, of course, I only have one unit!

So, I can't answer your question as Garmin never answered it for me. I guess it might come down to whichever person you get through to at Garmin, and how generous they are feeling. They might want proof that you no longer own the unit, and that might be difficult to give them.

Yes, your situation is one that points out the major difference between hardware and software. It is very easy for anyone to determine that a piece of hardware has been returned. But with software it can be much harder to verify that software is not being used. In your case the hardware that the software was locked to was returned and there is no way the software could be used with that unit (or any other using the same lock code). So it seems reasonable that you should get another lock code for free. But obviously Garmin has no provision for this in their system. You would have suffered the same loss if you had returned the unit outright and not upgraded. You could not have returned the unlocked software for a refund. Again, Garmin has no provision for this in their system (nor does nearly anyone else).

I find it interesting that you never got a reply to your message. I hear so much about how good Garmin support is, but this sort of thing still happens. Did you follow up with a phone call?

At the time (it was August last year) I made several attempts to get through to Garmin UK on the phone. I never managed to speak to anyone because the phone menu system kept putting me into a closed loop from which there was no escape but to hang up! In the end, I decided that if I wanted maps on my new unit before my holiday, I'd have to use my second unlock code.

At the time (it was August last year) I made several attempts to get through to Garmin UK on the phone. I never managed to speak to anyone because the phone menu system kept putting me into a closed loop from which there was no escape but to hang up! In the end, I decided that if I wanted maps on my new unit before my holiday, I'd have to use my second unlock code.

I know in the states you just keep pressing 0 and you will always get someone.