Shared Bookmark List

What does "shared" mean on a bookmark list. I've just created a list (my first, as you may guess) and I can understand what "public" means (that it shows up on the cache pages you've bookmarked) but what does shared mean.

And while I'm about it, is gc.com really difficult to navigate or is it just my stupidity? I set up a "caches along a route" query a while back, but it took me AGES to find the darn thing again today.

What does "shared" mean on a bookmark list. I've just created a list (my first, as you may guess) and I can understand what "public" means (that it shows up on the cache pages you've bookmarked) but what does shared mean.

I THINK it means that you can send a link of it to others, and they will be able to see it, but it won't show up on the cache pages. The only use I can think of is if you are going out with other cachers for the day, and you want them to see the list and download a PQ of them.

T

PS I may be wrong of course!

I THINK it means that you can send a link of it to others, and they will be able to see it, but it won't show up on the cache pages. The only use I can think of is if you are going out with other cachers for the day, and you want them to see the list and download a PQ of them.

T

Just tried sending links for one I've shared, but not made public and one that's not shared - just need to wait for the other guy to reply :(

T

That is how I have used them in the past.

I have always thought it to be straight forward.

I want to share this list with others - Quite simply share it with others as suggested above.

Make this list public (show on bookmarked listings) - As it says anyone can view it and it is listed on the cache pages that are on the list.

Notify me when items on this list are logged - Fairly simple, but I did try this once and I never got any emails of logs? Has anyone had the same experience?

T

Just tried sending links for one I've shared, but not made public and one that's not shared - just need to wait for the other guy to reply :laughing:

Yup, linking to a shared list works.

So it's as Haggis Hunter says - glad I understand it now ........... how long have I been using bookmarks :lol:

The logging notification works too. When notifications are working in general :(

I want to share this list with others - Quite simply share it with others as suggested above.

Rather a tautologous answer, as my question is: what does "share" actually mean in this context. I know that "share" means "share". But what does share mean? :) If you get my drift.

Is a public list implicitly "shared"?

How does a public non-shared list differ from a public shared list in terms of functions available to the list maintainer and to other geocachers.

Rather a tautologous answer, as my question is: what does "share" actually mean in this context. I know that "share" means "share". But what does share mean? :) If you get my drift.

How does a public non-shared list differ from a public shared list in terms of functions available to the list maintainer and to other geocachers.

The Share option means the owner can send a direct link to those he/she wishes to see the Bookmark list, so that they don't have to visit one of the cache pages to find the link. Also it enables the owner of a Private bookmark list, share that list with others without it showing up on any cache pages.

There are 2 types of Bookmark lists

Public-which show up on any cache page listed in that Bookmark, viewers have to click on the link on the cache page to see the whole Bookmark list. a shared public list just means the owner has the ability to send a direct link to it.

Private-which only the owner can see. Unless he/she decides to make it accessible to a select few via a direct link

Thanks, Deceangi. I'm getting there. Slowly. :)

Sooo ... anyone (who has a GC account) can see a public list. It's just that for a non-shared public list they have to go via one of the listed caches (or via the owner's profile maybe ...). Whereas for shared public lists they could get there via a direct link. The distinction is not one of access, but means of access.

But, the list owner is the only person who can modify a list regardless of its shared status, ie the contents are shared, but not the rights to maintenance.

Anyway, I've made my list shared public. Which may or may not be the right thing to do. :ph34r:

Thanks, Deceangi. I'm getting there. Slowly. :)

Sooo ... anyone (who has a GC account) can see a public list. It's just that for a non-shared public list they have to go via one of the listed caches (or via the owner's profile maybe ...). Whereas for shared public lists they could get there via a direct link. The distinction is not one of access, but means of access.

But, the list owner is the only person who can modify a list regardless of its shared status, ie the contents are shared, but not the rights to maintenance.

Anyway, I've made my list shared public. Which may or may not be the right thing to do. :ph34r:

my understanding (as others have said, may well be wrong) is that a shared list can be seen by other members (although how you 'find' the list can be tricky), while a public list is listed on the cache page. (but may not be open to view if its not shared???)

Ho well!

Dave

I should try my best to stop being helpful!!!