What is a bison tube?

Sometimes they are cammoed by a larger object. I have two hidden in holes I drilled in large pine cones. They are hanging in non-pine trees. :(. One is hidden in a toy turtle I got at "Party City," and one is in a hole I drilled in a piece of Manzanita burl.

The ones that are just hanging in a bush are really, really hard for me to find. :laughing:

Sometimes they are cammoed by a larger object. I have two hidden in holes I drilled in large pine cones. They are hanging in non-pine trees. :blink:. One is hidden in a toy turtle I got at "Party City," and one is in a hole I drilled in a piece of Manzanita burl.

The ones that are just hanging in a bush are really, really hard for me to find. ;)

That's very helpful. Thanks

Anyone know why its called a bison tube?

Yes, because they are manufactured by Bison Designs.

Some of us merchants buy them in bulk as a service to our fellow cachers. Shipping from Bison Designs can be expensive or non-existent to certain places. Except for a $1.50 handling fee on orders under $10, we used to ship for free on most orders until the USPS changed the rules on us. Now, we have the same prices as Bison Designs but a flat $2 shipping per order except rare circumstances or foreign orders.

On a side note, the capsules can be used for more than micros caches. The small capsule is great for stages. Two bucks is cheaper than the $5 for an engraved dog tag from a big-box kiosk. Take an icecream stick cut to length and jam it into the lid. Write your coords or clues on the stick. If your cords ever change, eat another ice cream!

I have a SCUBA tube set up for a stage that provides you with a small scroll of clues to take with you to complete the rest of the hunt. You could use one similar to how some folks will use a laminated card in the wild.

Another favorite use of the small tube is emergency money. I have a $20 bill rolled in one and keep it on my keyring. This saves me during the times I don't otherwise have cash and the store doesn't take a card. I've used it about 5 times so far. You just have to have the discipline to not use as a wallet for piddly purchases and put the money back at first opportunity.

As a side note, many geocachers use generic bison tubes instead of the 'real' ones. They still do a fine job of keeping the log dry and can be found locally for very little cash. Recently, my wife and I were wandering around the Workshop Tools store in a local mall and discovered a huge bin full of these for a dollar each.

0237490c-ffe3-4dc4-998f-631f00c4006b.jpg

Edited by sbell111
Anyone know why its called a bison tube?

On a side note, the capsules can be used for more than micros caches. The small capsule is great for stages. Two bucks is cheaper than the $5 for an engraved dog tag from a big-box kiosk. Take an icecream stick cut to length and jam it into the lid. Write your coords or clues on the stick. If your cords ever change, eat another ice cream!

I have to add a note that I completely agree with Coyote's comments concerning the size of the hide when using these capsules. We carry a large assortment of these capsules as well and many times they can be used as coordinate holders for multi-caches. They also can fit inside a larger container that they may sit inside of. There are a few examples of these kind of hides on our website also.

All that to be said, a micro doesn't always have to stay a micro!! :anicute:

Sometimes they are cammoed by a larger object. The ones that are just hanging in a bush are really, really hard for me to find.

I agree on the "hanging" bisons being hard to find. One cache in the vicinity was a green bison tube hanging in a ...... you ready for this?......... a holly bush. A BIG holly bush.

This is prolly considered off topic, but I'm curious what the advantages and disadvantages arte between the regular bison and the "Scuba" style bison. Like why would you choose one over the other? Just personal preference?

Size. The SCUBA is much larger. You can fit a larger log, even some tiny trade items.

This is prolly considered off topic, but I'm curious what the advantages and disadvantages arte between the regular bison and the "Scuba" style bison. Like why would you choose one over the other? Just personal preference?

Size. The SCUBA is much larger. You can fit a larger log, even some tiny trade items.

Really? In this link they look to be identical except for how they open. One at the top and one at the bottom. Any difference there.Bisons

Really? In this link they look to be identical except for how they open. One at the top and one at the bottom. Any difference there.Bisons

That's two different photos. Sorry for any confusion. I've uploaded a comparison photo.

EDIT: I need a proofreader.

Edited by CoyoteRed

That's two difference photos. Sorry for any confusion. I've uploaded a comparison photo.

Oh ok, I see the difference now. No need to apologize

I am putting on a demonstration soon and wanted to find out where the name "bison tube" came from. A Google search led me to this forum thread and I was please to find a link to Bison Designs that sounded like the answer I was searching for, but I can find no bison tube product line on their site. This thread is not some 5-years old so I'm guessing that the product MIGHT have originaly been made by this manufacturer but was copied by some outside vendor and is now no longer made by Bison Designs. Anyone know if this is the case or if there is some other origin for the name?

Thanks,

Nashuan

I am putting on a demonstration soon and wanted to find out where the name "bison tube" came from. A Google search led me to this forum thread and I was please to find a link to Bison Designs that sounded like the answer I was searching for, but I can find no bison tube product line on their site. This thread is not some 5-years old so I'm guessing that the product MIGHT have originaly been made by this manufacturer but was copied by some outside vendor and is now no longer made by Bison Designs. Anyone know if this is the case or if there is some other origin for the name?

Thanks,

Nashuan

It definitely comes from Bison Designs. They may not have invented them or been the first company to manufacture them (or maybe they were), but they were the first one to come to the attention of geocachers.

BTW they still carry them. Look under miscellaneous key accessories.

Edited by briansnat