Why is the blue accuracy circle 320 meters but the accuracy data field says 4meters?

While testing out my GPSr I accidentally stumbled on something. I noticed that when I changed the map using the Map setup page of the GPSr I noticed that the blue accuracy circle also changed!

If I used the standard Americas base map that came pre-installed on my VentureCx then the accuracy circle would be in-or-around what the accuracy data field displayed. Fine.

If I then enabled the Garmin World base map (originally meant for the iQue 3600 but also works on the Venture Cx) then the accuracy circle would be stuck at around 320 meters, even though the accuracy data field would be way smaller, say 4 or 5 meters.

It’s strange that the map loaded should affect, what I would have thought was purely an internal calculation of the GPSr. Especially as the accuracy data field (thankfully) isn’t affected by the loaded map. Weird.

While testing out my GPSr I accidentally stumbled on something. I noticed that when I changed the map using the Map setup page of the GPSr I noticed that the blue accuracy circle also changed!

If I used the standard Americas base map that came pre-installed on my VentureCx then the accuracy circle would be in-or-around what the accuracy data field displayed. Fine.

If I then enabled the Garmin World base map (originally meant for the iQue 3600 but also works on the Venture Cx) then the accuracy circle would be stuck at around 320 meters, even though the accuracy data field would be way smaller, say 4 or 5 meters.

It’s strange that the map loaded should affect, what I would have thought was purely an internal calculation of the GPSr. Especially as the accuracy data field (thankfully) isn’t affected by the loaded map. Weird.

Garmin assumes that if you are close to a road thenyou are on the road. If the your actual position is on the road, but the map incorrectly has the road off, then the accuracy circle says that you are somewhere withing that circle.

Garmin assumes that if you are close to a road thenyou are on the road. If the your actual position is on the road, but the map incorrectly has the road off, then the accuracy circle says that you are somewhere withing that circle.

Ahh...ok. I think I have it. If there is a conflict between where the map "tells" the GPSr my location is and where the GPSr thinks it is, then the accuracy circle enlarges to cover the conflict area (?)

Thanks.