Why small is beautiful!

Having found many micros and larger plastic boxes,I have no doubt that the "MICRO IS KING".And why????

I have 3 main reasons as follows...

1.Only enough space for a log and possibly a pencil,thus no room for all the :ph34r: that is usually found in larger containers.

2.Can be placed in all terrains and locations.(How many city caches are larger containers?)

3.Well...you tell me!!!

I love well-placed urban micros and nanos, but occasionally I like finding a nice big ammo can in the middle of nowhere. I think it all depends on what the location can support. :ph34r:

Edited to add: Sorry, this is irrelevant, but I've changed my signature line, logged in and out of the forums and gc.com loads of times, and the old line is still showing. Why? Good job I remembered to bring my angry eyes. :P

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

When we are out with the dog (1/3rd of GeoCornetto) we always carry a few pre made micros with pencil and log just in case we find a cool little spot. I have placed a micro in the forest but I was one of my first (dont hold it against me). Its on the edge of a golf course so its more about missing the golf muggles rather than the swag. My last 2 (IAMCUNAI) & (IAMCUNAII) have been micros under bridges and the locals :P seem to like them.

I just like finding caches, nanos to BIG ammo cans. :ph34r:

I just like finding caches, nanos to BIG ammo cans. :P

Yep, me too. :ph34r: But I hate looking for the proverbial 'needle in a haystack'. If I know in advance that a cache is a 35mm film cannister hidden in a thick woodland, I have to admit I won't bother looking for it, as we've had a couple of dnf's due to this in the past.

The 'Unnatural Log Piles' :P me off.

Now I'm a Geocacher, I notice them straight away, but isn't it amazing that muggles seem not to!

There is a brilliant (5 litre) cache hidden quite close to where I live, and it's hidden by a huge pile of stones. It's right next to a path, but no muggles give it a second look. We found it straight away, but only because we were looking. :ph34r:

Micros might rule the cities, but rural areas deserve larger boxes. There tends to be plenty of options (unlike urban of course) for hiding something big enough for a proper log book at least. It's a bit of a let down finding a film cannister hidden at the base of a tree in the middle of nowhere when you might have walked a mile or two to get there. Having said that, each to their own and variety is the spice of life (apparently) :(

Micros might rule the cities, but rural areas deserve larger boxes. ...............

100% agree, surely half the fun in placing the cache is finding a good hiding place (Don't call me Shirley!) whereas any idit can hide a micro in the country side

..................................... Having said that, each to their own and variety is the spice of life (apparently) :(

Vey true, each to his/her/its own.

Some of my favourite caches have been micros- but then I'm weird. Some of my favourite caches are virtuals :(

The question is simply one of appropriateness. There are places where only a nano is appropriate (right by the Houses of Parliament?) and I know lots of people love to find a big, well-stocked, dry box in the woods. But to say all micros are evil is to miss out on the joy of finding a magnetic one up inside a wooden structure, where it's clinging to a screw-head- or a million other cunning hides. It is very hard to get creative with a 5ltr box. Long live variety in caching! :laughing:

I used to hate micros when I was a junior cacher, but these days I can see their merits... some micros have been in the best places, AND some cachers are ingenious with what they disguise them as / in.

In my opinion, it's just about making sure you use the best possible cache TYPE for the place you're putting it.

There are places where only a nano is appropriate (right by the Houses of Parliament?)

Actually I think that a virtual is appropriate there, but I won't advertise :laughing:

We like all types of caches in the right locations. Our kids like decent sized boxes because there might be toys inside. Micros are good if the location isn't appropriate for something bigger. Multis and mysteries are good for a challenge. Personally I still love virtuals both to find and the interaction they provide the owner. My most found cache is a virtual in the Mall, Washington DC (1058 logs to date) and this provides a steadily flow of communication with cachers in the US.

My micros are in cities and I also enjoy finding them in similar circumstances. However, I have to say that I'm not a fan of micros in forests :(

There are places where only a nano is appropriate (right by the Houses of Parliament?)
Actually I think that a virtual is appropriate there, but I won't advertise :laughing:
I couldn't agree more. But I wasn't advertising- I don't have a nano by the Palace of Westminster (any more!) :(

:lol:

the trouble with micros in forests is that without very clear clues ( and with them if the people look for ages without using clue) you get a lot of damage to the undergrowth.

i've seen areas in the forest that look like they have been raked and it's due to the combined effort of several cachers each looking in a slightly different place. trouble is what with tree cover you never get spot on so you have to look around several trees/bushes etc. the damage is cumulative.

I don't accept that Ammo Boxes are the only waterproof containers.

Some Nanos are fully proofed and good snaplocks do pretty well. The trouble often is that people let rain into the boxes while writing their logs or get the log sheet wet - the advantage then of the Ammobox is that there is more volume for the moisture to disperse within the box and the sheet can dry out a bit.

The other problem is that people don't always take enough care not to trap plastic bags or vegetation in the seal of the box - and that can apply as well to Ammoboxes.

Got to TOTALLY disagree with all this admiration of micros

We've got 2 young kids who love caches for their treasure

You may call it tat they call it treasure

They have no interest in micros as they contain no treasure

I think putting a micro in the city is fine, but in the country with loads of good hiding places is simply lazy on the owners part.

Not much chance for placing your TB in a micro either

So I say long live a DECENT SIZED cache!!!

Got to TOTALLY disagree with all this admiration of micros

We've got 2 young kids who love caches for their treasure

You may call it tat they call it treasure

They have no interest in micros as they contain no treasure

I think putting a micro in the city is fine, but in the country with loads of good hiding places is simply lazy on the owners part.

Not much chance for placing your TB in a micro either

So I say long live a DECENT SIZED cache!!!

My personal preference is for ammo cans and clip lock plastic boxes. I've never come across a wet one and they tend to have more interesting swaps (CD's etc.) I've noticed that micros just tend to be dropped by busy roads, where is the fun in that.

Philip

IMHO it is what the location can support sizewise.

I don't mind micros but I feel sometimes that the owner has dumped a micro in a spot for simplicity rather than the fact that there is a perfectly good hiding place nearby for a small/regular container.

If I do several caches in a day/location I do prefer to find a greater number of normal caches as opposed to micro's, especially when I've got TB's/GC's to drop off.

But then again its how we each play the 'game'. :(

No micros in forests though... :P

Why not? :(

I don't intend to single out micros here, as this applies to traditional sizes also, but my own view on this is that, given a set of coordinates, I generally expect to find a cache with a few minutes. A micro hidden at the base of a tree or in branches etc., in a forest, could potentially mean hours of searching, and I don't think that's what caching is about. IMHO the enjoyment is getting to the cache, not spending hours upturning every leaf and branch within a 60'. Other will doubtless have their own opinion.

Jon

No micros in forests though... :P

Why not? :(

I don't intend to single out micros here, as this applies to traditional sizes also, but my own view on this is that, given a set of coordinates, I generally expect to find a cache with a few minutes. A micro hidden at the base of a tree or in branches etc., in a forest, could potentially mean hours of searching, and I don't think that's what caching is about. IMHO the enjoyment is getting to the cache, not spending hours upturning every leaf and branch within a 60'. Other will doubtless have their own opinion.

Jon

I fully agree. Nothing p""!!s me off more than wasting my time hunting the cache when I'm in the right place, then having to add it to my watch list / email the owner & return to it later.

Once you've got the coords, the cache should be pretty obvious. Especially where the signal is poor.

If the owner insists on putting out a micro, make it VERY obvious.

I come from an orienteering background & once you've navigated to the location of the control, the guidance is that the red/white control site should be visible.

If owners want to hide their caches well because they may get stolen, they must provide a more detailed hint, particularly in an area of poor signal. Not everyone has a Garmin 60.

If there is little chance of a cache being stolen, why hide it?

"I come from an orienteering background..."

I dont. I love the hunt. Some ammo cans are dam hard to find in the forest not just micros. If its a numbers thing then yes you want to walk up to a spot and pick a big easy to find box up. I like a good walk with a point search & find not just find.

Having just BIG caches would be like going to Tesco, (other supermarkets are available), you want fish (the cache) you go to the fish counter (bottom of the big tree). Fun?

:(

PS I use a yellow Garmin or GPSXC on my Nokia for the urban micros.

Edited by GeoCornetto

Agree completely with the last two posts, particularly with regard to providing a specific hint if coverage is poor.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good hunt for a cache. 'Shakin' all over' in South Wales is a good example. It took us two trips and a lot of hunting to find it, but I enjoyed it. :(

However, scrabbling around in a forest for a film pot is just frustrating in my opinion, especially if the clue is 'near base of tree' when the undergrowth is thick and there are trees everywhere so you have no signal. Some people may say that if the rating is 4 or 5 stars for difficulty, then that is fine, but it's not my personal idea of fun.

I dont. I love the hunt. Some ammo cans are dam hard to find in the forest not just micros. If its a numbers thing then yes you want to walk up to a spot and pick a big easy to find box up. I like a good walk with a point search & find not just find.
It's not a numbers thing. I love micros, in fact I prefer them (subject of another topic...) but I don't enjoy finding a micro in a forest where a regular could be easily accommodated... unless it's a 4/5 star difficulty of course :(

Once you've got the coords, the cache should be pretty obvious. Especially where the signal is poor.

I come from an orienteering background & once you've navigated to the location of the control, the guidance is that the red/white control site should be visible.

If owners want to hide their caches well because they may get stolen, they must provide a more detailed hint

I'm afraid I don't agree. Geocaching is not just about navigating somewhere, it's about the hunt (as well as plenty of other things). There's nothing more disappointing to me than arriving at ground zero to find a flipping great pile of sticks/stones. You may as well install a pink neon flashing arrow above it.

For many caches the whole point of them is that they will take some time to find - detailed hints are not compulsary. I do agree though that unless there is a good reason, such as an imaginitive container, there's not a lot of value in chucking out a micro in a where a cache with swaps will fit. However, I don't generally gripe about it because there are so many caches out there that I could ignore any I don't like, however I don't feel strongly enough to ignore any! A smiley is a smiley.

If you manage to run out of the kind you like, then come back here and complain lol!

T

I'm afraid I don't agree. Geocaching is not just about navigating somewhere, it's about the hunt (as well as plenty of other things). There's nothing more disappointing to me than arriving at ground zero to find a flipping great pile of sticks/stones. You may as well install a pink neon flashing arrow above it.
I'm afraid I dont agree. After working out a puzzle or route to a cache, surely the whole idea of Geocaching is using the GPSr to get to the location of the cache.. not spending hours once on site searching under every nook and cranny for a cache that has been purposely hidden from discovery from both muggles AND cachers. Sure the log pile is a bit of a give-away, but the GPSr has got you there! Others will surely have their own interpretation.

surely the whole idea of Geocaching is using the GPSr to get to the location of the cache

You didn't read my post properly. I never said it wasn't about navigation at all. I said it wasn't JUST about navigation. The post I was replying to implied that caches should not be hidden, or at least hidden so badly they should be obvious when you get there.

Is this one of those, 'that's the wonderful thing about caching; different people can do it different ways', moments? Location, Hide, Swaps - there's something there for everyone - just not with every cache!

Agree, provided that the cache setter's comments on the page and rating are honest and accurate. If I see a cache with a high rating and a comment like "A fiendish hide, you'll never find it hahaha" then I just ignore it (doubly ignore it if it's a micro :) ) as I don't like spending ages scouring one (often quite grotty) spot but others will flock to it.

THere are enough out there that aren't like that to keep me happy. :laughing: