COINTEST: Share What you know about New Zealand & WIN!

Team chelmo

I know that we will visit New Zealand during 2008 as that is where sillygirl has chosen to celebrate a milestone birthday.

She chose Hawaii for her 40th b-day and we ended up moving here, so who knows what might happen.

There is plenty of room dowm here :P

Maybe we could catch up when you visit :)

The legend of Maui and the magic fishhook.

Maui was a demi-god, who lived in Hawaiiki. He possessed magic powers that not all of his family knew about.

One day when he was very young, he hid in the bottom of his brothers' boat in order to go out fishing with them. Once out at sea, Maui was discovered by his brothers, but they were not able to take him back to shore as Maui made use of his magic powers, making the shoreline seem much further away than it was in reality.

So the brothers continued rowing, and once they were far out into the ocean Maui dropped his magic fishhook over the side of the waka. After a while he felt a strong tug on the line. This seemed to be too strong a tug to be any ordinary fish, so Maui called to his brothers for assistance.

After much straining and pulling, up suddenly surfaced Te Ika a Maui (the fish of Maui), known today as the North Island of New Zealand. Maui told his brothers that the Gods might be angry about this, and he asked his brothers to wait while he went to make peace with the Gods.

However, once Maui had gone his brothers began to argue among themselves about the possession of this new land. They took out their weapons and started pounding away at the catch. The blows on the land created the many mountains and valleys of the North Island today.

The South Island is known as Te Waka a Maui (the waka of Maui). Stewart Island, which lies at the very bottom of New Zealand, is known as Te Punga a Maui (Maui's anchor), as it was the anchor holding Maui's waka as he pulled in the giant fish.

This is a great story and when you look at NZ you can may even start to think whether it could be true :P

some more info...

• Population: 4 million
  • Capital: Wellington
  • Major languages: English, Maori
  • Major religion: Christianity
  • Life expectancy: 76 years (men), 81 years (women)
  • Monetary unit: 1 New Zealand dollar ($NZ) = 100 cents
  • Main exports: Wool, food and dairy products, wood and paper products
  • Internet domain: .nz
  • International dialling code: +64

CF30

You forgot to mention that we use the "Metric" system :P (Although because of my job I still use feet and inches at times, which is weird cause I was brought up on metric :) )

I wish I could say yes :) , but no :) Trust me I'm hanging out for them too, hopefully later today of tomorrow morning, before things stop for the weekend :P

But isn't it already tomorrow (Friday) there???

Yep, It's Friday here today.But I'm really hoping for a Saturday morning courier delivery :) Please please please...

Couldn't pass up on this info: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The Penguins of New Zealand

Of the seventeen species of penguin, six live and breed in New Zealand:

The smallest penguin : Blue Penguin

The blue or little penguin (Eudyptula minor), also known in Maori as korora, can be found in many places around New Zealand and Southern Australia and is the world's smallest penguin. They only come ashore under the cover of darkness and live underground in burrows. Although quite common, its small size and unusual habits make it rarely seen.

Erect crested:

The majority of the breeding population is on the remote Antipodes and Bounty Islands, with smaller numbers on the Auckland Islands. Stragglers are often seen at other subantarctic islands in the New Zealand region and some make it to the New Zealand mainland, usually to moult.

Fiordland:

Fiordland crested penguins breed in the rainforests along the rugged coastline of New Zealand's Fiordland and Stewart Island. They nest individually, or in loose colonies, close to the coast. Nest sites are in caves, under overhangs, at the base of trees or in dense vegetation.

Rockhopper:

One of the six species of crested penguin, the rockhopper is circumpolar in distribution. Adults often have white stripes on the cheeks, juveiles have a shorter crest and pale cheeks.

In the New Zealand region, the rockhopper can be found on the sub-antarctic islands Campbell, Auckland and Antipodes. Juveniles occasionally straggle to the New Zealand mainland.

One of the smallest of the crested penguins, the rockhopper stands at approx 40cm and weighs up to 4kg. Easily distinguished as adults by their prominent yellow crest and bright red eyes - all other crested penguins have darker eyes. Sexes alike, although males are larger with more robust bills. Juveniles have only a faint crest and have white mottling on the chin and throat.

Snares Crested:

The Snares crested penguin stands about 40cm and weighs around 3 kilograms. It is very similar in appearance to the Fiordland crested penguin with which it can be easily confused, particularly at sea.

Yellow eyed penguin:

The yellow-eyed penguin (Megadyptes antipodes) is only found in New Zealand is one of the rarest of our penguins. They live and breed around the south-east coast of the South island, on Stewart island and in the sub-antarctic Auckland and Campbell islands. They are known to Maori as Hoiho.

The koru is a scroll shape and is linked to the New Zealand fern plant. The shoot of the fern has a curled-over tip which unfurls and becomes a fernleaf. The koru, represents the unfolding of new life and renewal. The spiral shape is a dominate part of Maori carving and tattoo.

b1_5357.jpg

:laughing:;):P:laughing::laughing:

Ok guys, I'm really sorry this has dragged out the last couple of days, you have all been really good sports, BUT... there is no chance for any packages to arrive for the next 44hrs (Monday morning kiwi time) so you can have some time off :) Catchya on Monday (Kiwi time)

I do have a good feeling about Monday though as another local who ordered some of my coins from Castle Coins and Pins had their coins arrive yesterday. Fingers Crossed for Monday for all mine.

Yes got your package Liz, Thanks B)

Tiriti O Waitangi 1840

[Maori text of the Treaty]

Ko Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani i tana mahara atawai ki nga Rangatira me nga Hapu o Nu Tirani i tana hiahia hoki kia tohungia ki a ratou o ratou rangatiratanga me to ratou wenua, a kia mau tonu hoki te Rongo ki a ratou me te Atanoho hoki kua wakaaro ia he mea tika kia tukua mai tetahi Rangatira--hei kai wakarite ki nga Tangata maori o Nu Tirani--kia wakaaetia e nga Rangatira maori te Kawanatanga o te Kuini ki nga wahikatoa o te Wenua nei me nga Motu--na te mea hoki he tokomaha ke nga tangata o tona Iwi Kua noho ki tenei wenua, a e haere mai nei.

Na ko te Kuini e hiahia ana kia wakaritea te Kawanatanga kia kaua ai nga kino e puta mai ki te tangata Maori ki te Pakeha e noho ture kore ana.

Na, kua pai te Kuini kia tukua a hau a Wiremu Hopihona he Kapitana i te Roiara Nawi hei Kawana mo nga wahi katoa o Nu Tirani e tukua aianei, amoa atu ki te Kuini, e mea atu ana ia ki nga Rangatira o te wakaminenga o nga hapu o Nu Tirani me era Rangatira atu enei ture ka korerotia nei.

Ko Te Tuatahi

Ko nga Rangatira o te wakaminenga me nga Rangatira katoa hoki ki hai i uru ki taua wakaminenga ka tuku rawa atu ki te Kuini o Ingarani ake tonu atu--te Kawanatanga katoa o o ratou wenua.

Ko Te Tuarua

Ko te Kuini o Ingarani ka wakarite ka wakaae ki nga Rangatira ki nga hapu--ki nga tangata katoa o Nu Tirani te tino rangatiratanga o o ratou wenua o ratou kainga me o ratou taonga katoa. Otiia ko nga Rangatira o te wakaminenga me nga Rangatira katoa atu ka tuku ki te Kuini te hokonga o era wahi wenua e pai ai te tangata nona te Wenua--ki te ritenga o te utu e wakaritea ai e ratou ko te kai hoko e meatia nei e te Kuini hei kai hoko mona.

Ko Te Tuatoru

Hei wakaritenga mai hoki tenei mo te wakaaetanga ki te Kawanatanga o te Kuini--Ka tiakina e te Kuini o Ingarani nga tangata maori katoa o Nu Tirani ka tukua ki a ratou nga tikanga katoa rite tahi ki ana mea ki nga tangata o Ingarani.

[signed] William Hobson Consul & Lieutenant Governor

Na ko matou ko nga Rangatira o te Wakaminenga o nga hapu o Nu Tirani ka huihui nei ki Waitangi ko matou hoki ko nga Rangatira o Nu Tirani ka kite nei i te ritenga o enei kupu, ka tangohia ka wakaaetia katoatia e matou, koia ka tohungia ai o matou ingoa o matou tohu.

Ka meatia tenei ki Waitangi i te ono o nga ra o Pepueri i te tau kotahi mano, e waru rau e wa te kau o to tatou Ariki.

Image of Tiriti O Waitangi, signed in 1840.

treatyofwaitangi.jpg

Translation to be posted on Monday.

edited for TYPO <_<

Edited by OshnDoc

maorispirits.jpgBefore the coming of the Pakeha (White Man) to New Zealand all literature in Maori was orally passed onto succeeding generations. This included many legends and waiata (song). The most recognised tradition is the "Haka" which is a war dance. The Haka was performed before the onset of war by the Maori last century, but has been immortalized by New Zealand's Rugby Team the All Blacks, who perform this dance before every game. The traditional Maori welcome is called a powhiri, this involves a hongi which is a greeting that involves pressing noses as opposed to a kiss.

English version:

Her Majesty Victoria Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland regarding with Her Royal Favour the Native Chiefs and Tribes of New Zealand and anxious to protect their just Rights and Property and to secure to them the enjoyment of Peace and Good Order has deemed it necessary in consequence of the great number of Her Majesty's Subjects who have already settled in New Zealand and the rapid extension of Emigration both from Europe and Australia which is still in progress to constitute and appoint a functionary properly authorized to treat with the Aborigines of New Zealand for the recognition of Her Majesty's Sovereign authority over the whole or any part of those islands.

Her Majesty therefore being desirous to establish a settled form of Civil Government with a view to avert the evil consequences which must result from the absense of the necessary Laws and Institutions alike to the native population and to Her subjects has been graciously pleased to empower and to authorize "me William Hobson a Captain" in Her Majesty's Royal Navy Consul and Lieutenant Governor of such parts of New Zealand as may be or hereafter shall be ceded to Her Majesty to invite the confederated and independent Chiefs of New Zealand to concur in the following Articles and Conditions.

Article the First

The Chiefs of the Confederation of the United Tribes of New Zealand and the separate and independent Chiefs who have not become members of the Confederation cede to Her Majesty the Queen of England absolutely and without reservation all the rights and powers of Sovereignty which the said Confederation or Individual Chiefs respectively exercise or possess, or may be supposed to exercise or to possess, over their respective Territories as the sole Sovereigns thereof.

Article the Second

Her Majesty the Queen of England confirms and guarantees to the Chiefs and Tribes of New Zealand and to the respective families and individuals thereof the full exclusive and undisturbed possession of their Lands and Estates Forests Fisheries and other properties which they may collectively or individually possess so long as it is their wish and desire to retain the same in their possession; but the Chiefs of the United Tribes and the individual Chiefs yield to Her Majesty the exclusive right of Preemption over such lands as the proprietors thereof may be disposed to alienate at such prices as may be agreed upon between the respective Proprietors and persons appointed by Her Majesty to treat with them in that behalf.

Article the Third

In consideration thereof Her Majesty the Queen of England extends to the Natives of New Zealand Her royal protection and imparts to them all the Rights and Privileges of British Subjects.

[signed] W Hobson Lieutenant Govenor

Now therefore We the Chiefs of the Confederation of the United Tribes of New Zealand being assembled in Congress at Victoria in Waitangi and We the Separate and Independent Chiefs of New Zealand claiming authority over the Tribes and Territories which are specified after our respective names, having been made fully to understand the Provisions of the foregoing Treaty, accept and enter into the same in the full spirit and meaning thereof in witness of which we have attatched our signatures or marks at the places and the dates respectively specified

Done at Waitangi this Sixth day of February in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty.