COINTEST: Share What you know about New Zealand & WIN!

Team chelmo

was that the last give a way?

There is still 2 coins to go;

The XLE (random Draw)

The Satin Silver (Last person to post before I post saying I have the coins in hand)

Hey Ble68, better e-mail me your address so I can get the coin sent out after the comp. finishes :o

I'm surprised that I didn't see anybody list this about KIWI Shoe Polish ...

kiwishoepolish.jpg

In 1906, William Ramsay had developed an unusually fine boot polish to which he gave the name ‘KIWI’. The choice of the name KIWI as a trademark was a tribute to William’s wife who was a native of New Zealand, home of the KIWI bird and New Zealand's national emblem. During Ramsay's visit to New Zealand he had noticed the quaint, wingless birds with their crisp, glossy plumage. The kiwi bird design looked good on the small round tin, and the name was easy to see and attractive to look at.

I didn't read through all the pages, so I might be repeating stuff already posted. There are all sorts of interesting geothermal areas in New Zealand. My personal favorite (for the name) that we went to when we visited was Hell's Gate. The mud bath there is wonderful. The cold water that you have to rinse off in to get the mud off is not so wonderful!

Hey 007BigD, Those e-mails are playing up again (keep on bouncin' back). Anyway hope you see this here, Got you parcel today, thanks heaps! there is some awesome stuff in there, I know the kids will be stoaked with their gifts too (It's Thomas' birthday next Thursday (our time). Hope to chat again soon if this e-mail problem comes right.

Sorry everyone, back to the business of giving away coins :o

Ooh, I know this one will get me in trouble...

kiwi_on_a_date-1.jpg

:(:P:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

CF30

:P

So many comments I could make but must resist... :D

Ok, just one comment: red dirt, scrub/dry vegetation, few other clues.....that one's Australian, not Kiwi I'm afraid! :(

Definitely, 100% Australian...

The best pizzas in NZ are from Hell Pizza!

The are the absolute best... they even have an appropriate 0800 (free) phone number - 0800 666 111 (111 is the New Zealand Emergency Services number, akin to 911 for the US) :(

And wouldn't you know it - we shift to part of the country that doesn't have Hell (Pizza that is) :P

Loved Gluttony... Mordor was really good too... actually most of their pizzas were pretty good... except for Wrath (too hot for my liking)... and Underworld (seafood... YUCK!).

Take a look at their menu... it actually makes a good read.

P.S. Forgot to mention that if you go into their site there are little devils you can pick up and throw around the screen! Lots of fun. My 5 year old loves it!! :D

Edited by keewee01

And for burgers I highly recommend BugerFuel. They are the best burgers - you actually feel good about yourself after you finish one of their burgers!!

Again... none of their outlets within hundreds of km's of where we shifted to :(

P.S. I see they have Burger Fuel in Sydney now too!

Edited by keewee01

Ummmm... Sorry...

imgp4475.jpg

Oh! That reminds me! What's the chance that you - or anyone els on this thread - has an extra one of these Black Nickel Australia Geocoins they would like to trade? I have the Silver and the Gold on the way but would love to get me grubby paws on a BN :(

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

A fact that is relevant to me, and probably no one else....

My wonderful, inspirational, amazing 87 year old Grandmother was born in Wellington in 1920.

She is an amazing woman, she has experienced so much in her life, and despite missing one eye, marrying her long time boyfriend only two years or so ago, and recently breaking her hip (and a million other wonders she's been through) she lives a full life, and is relatively healthy given her age.

I know this fact probably isn't what you're looking for chelmo, but I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss to honour my beloved nanna.

If you really need a NZ fact...patiro (not sure about the english spelling) means FART in Maori. hehehehe! I do know lots of other stuff..but patiro and puku (tummy) are my favourite maori words :(

The distance from my house to your The Troll (Canterbury) cache (GCVGDQ) is 8,601.9 Miles as the crow flies...... Hmmmmmm... Think that one might be more than a days hike away!!

Yeah I think that would be more than a days hike, but there is probably a few other caches you could pick up along the way :anitongue: Making it a worth while trip :laughing:

kiwi words & phrases:

box of budgies: cheerful, happy, very good

bugalugs: a bit like "mate" as in "how's it going bugalugs"

bun-fight: social gathering with food

chilly bin: sealable, usually polystyrene insulated box, for keeping beer & food cold

chocolate fish: a chocolate covered marshmallow fish. Also frequently given (literally or figuratively) as a reward for a job well done; as in "Good on ya, mate. You deserve a chocolate fish".

New Zealand National Anthem

God of nations! at Thy feet

In the bonds of love we meet,

Hear our voices, we entreat,

God defend our Free Land.

Guard Pacific's triple star,

From the shafts of strife and war,

Make her praises heard afar,

God defend New Zealand

Men of ev'ry creed and race

Gather here before Thy face,

Asking Thee to bless this place,

From dissension, envy, hate,

And corruption guard our State,

Make our country good and great,

God defend New Zealand.

Peace, not war, shall be our boast,

But, should foes assail our coast,

Make us then a mighty host,

Lord of battles in thy might,

Put our enemies to flight,

Let our cause be just and right,

God defend New Zealand.

A fact that is relevant to me, and probably no one else....

My wonderful, inspirational, amazing 87 year old Grandmother was born in Wellington in 1920.

She is an amazing woman, she has experienced so much in her life, and despite missing one eye, marrying her long time boyfriend only two years or so ago, and recently breaking her hip (and a million other wonders she's been through) she lives a full life, and is relatively healthy given her age.

I know this fact probably isn't what you're looking for chelmo, but I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss to honour my beloved nanna.

That is a great fact, different to the others so far but I guess it shows "We breed em tough down this way" :laughing:

If you really need a NZ fact...patiro (not sure about the english spelling) means FART in Maori. hehehehe! I do know lots of other stuff..but patiro and puku (tummy) are my favourite maori words :laughing:

:anitongue:

And know I have learnt another fact too! :laughing:

The distance from my house to your The Troll (Canterbury) cache (GCVGDQ) is 8,601.9 Miles as the crow flies...... Hmmmmmm... Think that one might be more than a days hike away!!

Yeah I think that would be more than a days hike, but there is probably a few other caches you could pick up along the way :laughing: Making it a worth while trip :anitongue:

My luck they'd all be disabled that day!! :laughing:

And the first two verses of the Māori version of the National Anthem:

E Ihoā Atua,

O ngā iwi mātou rā

Āta whaka rongona;

Me aroha noa

Kia hua ko te pai;

Kia tau tō atawhai;

Manaakitia mai

Aotearoa

Ōna mano tāngata

Kiri whero, kiri mā,

Iwi Māori Pākehā,

Rūpeke katoa,

Nei ka tono ko ngā hë

Māu e whakaahu kë,

Kia ora mārire

Aotearoa

Translation:

O Lord, God,

of nations and of us too

Listen to us,

Cherish us

Let goodness flourish,

May your blessings flow.

Defend

Aotearoa

Let all people,

Red skin, white skin

Maori, Pakeha,

Gather before you

May all our wrongs, we pray,

Be forgiven

So that we might say long live,

Aotearoa

The legend of Maui and the magic fishhook.

Maui was a demi-god, who lived in Hawaiiki. He possessed magic powers that not all of his family knew about.

One day when he was very young, he hid in the bottom of his brothers' boat in order to go out fishing with them. Once out at sea, Maui was discovered by his brothers, but they were not able to take him back to shore as Maui made use of his magic powers, making the shoreline seem much further away than it was in reality.

So the brothers continued rowing, and once they were far out into the ocean Maui dropped his magic fishhook over the side of the waka. After a while he felt a strong tug on the line. This seemed to be too strong a tug to be any ordinary fish, so Maui called to his brothers for assistance.

After much straining and pulling, up suddenly surfaced Te Ika a Maui (the fish of Maui), known today as the North Island of New Zealand. Maui told his brothers that the Gods might be angry about this, and he asked his brothers to wait while he went to make peace with the Gods.

However, once Maui had gone his brothers began to argue among themselves about the possession of this new land. They took out their weapons and started pounding away at the catch. The blows on the land created the many mountains and valleys of the North Island today.

The South Island is known as Te Waka a Maui (the waka of Maui). Stewart Island, which lies at the very bottom of New Zealand, is known as Te Punga a Maui (Maui's anchor), as it was the anchor holding Maui's waka as he pulled in the giant fish.

Probably posted somewhere before but not by me :P . Keeping this going...

Highest point: Mount Cook (3,754 m or 12313 ft)

Deepest lake: Lake Hauroko (462 m 1515 ft)

Largest lake: Lake Taupo (606 km or 234 miles)

Longest river: Waikato River (425 km or 264 miles long)

Largest glacier: Tasman Glacier (29 km or 18 miles long)

Deepest cave: Nettlebed, Mount Arthur (889 m or 2916 ft)

Length of coastline: 15,811 km (9824 miles)

CF30

some more info...

• Population: 4 million
  • Capital: Wellington
  • Major languages: English, Maori
  • Major religion: Christianity
  • Life expectancy: 76 years (men), 81 years (women)
  • Monetary unit: 1 New Zealand dollar ($NZ) = 100 cents
  • Main exports: Wool, food and dairy products, wood and paper products
  • Internet domain: .nz
  • International dialling code: +64

CF30