COINTEST: Share What you know about New Zealand & WIN!

Team chelmo

Ohh, photos? No probs! Here's one of my favourites from Deer Park Heights above Queenstown:

smallv_stag.jpg

It's also where the Wargs attacked in LOTR, and the only reason I haven't put a cache there is that it's a commercial park with $20 (car) or $2 (walk) entrance fee dangit.

And thanks Mark but I'll exclude myself from the competition coin draws this time :ph34r:

Before even reading what was under this picture I remembered exactly where it was and what happened in the movie at this place! Yeah I'm a bit of a fan. So here's my first fact, then I have to go clean so I'll be back later, I want to move to New Zealand very badly. (specifically I want to live in hobbiton except it's gone)

Who can tell me what I am saying here:

Tena Koutou.

Pehea ana?

Pai ahau.

Hei konei!

First correct translation will win a XLE Copper Crowesfeat30 Geocoin! :ph34r::D:P

If you already have one you CANNOT win another, tho.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Awwww....people beat me to talking about how New Zealand was the home of bungy jumping. :D I'll add this fact, then, to supplement:

From 1994-1995, my husband spent a year in Australia as a student missionary Youth Pastor. While there, he took a trip to New Zealand and (among other things) bungee jumped. He did it on the North Island, at Taupo Bungy. I've always said that the one thing that I will not do is bungee jump. To this day, he questions why he married a girl who won't bungee jump. :ph34r::P

Hey, the original commercial site is a Waymarking site! :P

Here's a pic from off the site at Taupo Bungy (just thought it as cool looking):

taupobungy.jpg

All41 and his mom (who went to New Zealand with him) have always said that New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I wanna visit!

Tena Koutou.

Pehea ana?

Pai ahau.

Hei konei!

First correct translation will win a XLE Copper Crowesfeat30 Geocoin! :ph34r::D:P

CF30

Hello all, how are you? I am well. Goodbye!

Edited by Cheesy pigs

WOOHOO! ! ! We have our first winner! :D and with no clues required.

I love fun coins, this was the original idea I thought of for the backside of my coin. Because the front is so formal I was unsure as to whether to persue this theme, I actually got as far as recieving an e-mail from the cartoonist apologising for not allowing me to use the images but wishing me luck.

This is a true New Zealand icon also, my coin was going to also picture "Cecil"

Well Done Crowesfeat30 "Footrot Flats" was the theme :)

OMYGOSH!!! I won?? How cool is that! I just stepped out to go to the grocery store (we're having crab legs for dinner tonight!) and come back to discover that I won! Wow! Cool! THANKYOU!! :ph34r::P:D Now I get to sit back and see who else wins. :D I might post a few more tidbits tho, if I'm allowed to...

CF30

Fell free to keep on posting and learning/teaching.

I must admit that I was expecting this to take a little longer and perhaps even a clue or two, but you nailed it! :D

Send me your address through my profile and I will be sending A Chelmo's NZ Silver Fern LE Two Tone Gold/Silver your way ASAP :P

Gee Sarah - what is it with you posting, leaving the house and then WINNING contests posted by people who live in Ashburton!??? :)

WOOHOO! ! ! We have our first winner! :D and with no clues required.

I love fun coins, this was the original idea I thought of for the backside of my coin. Because the front is so formal I was unsure as to whether to persue this theme, I actually got as far as recieving an e-mail from the cartoonist apologising for not allowing me to use the images but wishing me luck.

This is a true New Zealand icon also, my coin was going to also picture "Cecil"

Well Done Crowesfeat30 "Footrot Flats" was the theme :D

OMYGOSH!!! I won?? How cool is that! I just stepped out to go to the grocery store (we're having crab legs for dinner tonight!) and come back to discover that I won! Wow! Cool! THANKYOU!! :P:D:D Now I get to sit back and see who else wins. :P I might post a few more tidbits tho, if I'm allowed to...

CF30

Fell free to keep on posting and learning/teaching.

I must admit that I was expecting this to take a little longer and perhaps even a clue or two, but you nailed it! :)

Send me your address through my profile and I will be sending A Chelmo's NZ Silver Fern LE Two Tone Gold/Silver your way ASAP :ph34r:

Gee Sarah - what is it with you posting, leaving the house and then WINNING contests posted by people who live in Ashburton!??? :)

LOL! I guess i will just have to post and step out more often! :D

CF30

Tena Koutou.

Pehea ana?

Pai ahau.

Hei konei!

CF30

Congratulations, Cheesy Pigs!!!

Very good! Send me your mailing info thru my profile and I will have it in the mail by Monday.

Sorry, Team Chelmo, I couldn't help it :P

CF30

Tena Koutou.

Pehea ana?

Pai ahau.

Hei konei!

First correct translation will win a XLE Copper Crowesfeat30 Geocoin! :DB):)

CF30

Very good! Send me your mailing info thru my profile and I will have it in the mail by Monday.

Sorry, Team Chelmo, I couldn't help it :D

CF30

WooHoo!!!!

Thanks Crowsfeat! I am so happy!! I have wanted one of your coins for ever so long! I never thought I'd win your coin while entering a competition for a different coin :D

:P:ph34r::D:P:)B):DB):D:D

Tena Koutou.

Pehea ana?

Pai ahau.

Hei konei!

First correct translation will win a XLE Copper Crowesfeat30 Geocoin! :DB):)

CF30

Sorry, Team Chelmo, I couldn't help it :D

CF30

WooHoo!!!!

Thanks Crowsfeat! I am so happy!! I have wanted one of your coins for ever so long! I never thought I'd win your coin while entering a competition for a different coin :P

:ph34r::D:P:)B):D:DB):DB)

It's all good :D

Rangitata Rafting close to Christchurch (the red helmet is me :( )

Friday31stJanuary2003027.jpg

Whoa! That looks like so much fun, Doc!! I got to go white water rafting once a looooong time ago (1980). I was just out of High School. My youth group went to Colorado and rafted the Arkansas River. It was awesome!

CF30

Here ya go TFN! :(

400px-ABHakaWales.jpg

Love the guy on the far right! :(

CF30

Ta for that (oh I can see the code now and I get it)

Yes, the guy on the far right is warming himself up to rip some poor unsuspecting Welshman's head off!! :laughing:

Hey by the way Mark...what happened last night? I don't suppose that it will be a fact that counts for the competition to point out that as a result of the losses last night, for the first time in Super Rugby history there will be NO Kiwi team in the final?

but lets not mention the Tah's shall we? :lol:

Rangitata Rafting close to Christchurch (the red helmet is me :laughing: )

Friday31stJanuary2003027.jpg

Whoa! That looks like so much fun, Doc!! I got to go white water rafting once a looooong time ago (1980). I was just out of High School. My youth group went to Colorado and rafted the Arkansas River. It was awesome!

CF30

Yeah, my husband was able to go rafting, as well. Don't remember where exactly, although he has a video of it. :(

Strewth - there's so much info so far I'm not sure if this is a repeat - but it's worth mentioning more than once anyway! :(

"The ancient, flightless Kakapo is the world's rarest and strangest parrot. It the only flightless and nocturnal parrot, as well as being the heaviest in the world, weighing up to 3.5 kilograms (8 lbs).

The birds live in New Zealand, an island country which had virtually no mammals living on it for millions of years. It was a place inhabited by birds and reptiles. The only types of mammal were two species of bats. The Kakapo did not learn the defense mechanisms to combat or escape mammalian predators. This made the parrot very vulnerable when new animals started showing up.

The arrival of Polynesian peoples thousands of years ago, of Europeans in the 1800's, and ultimately the pets and livestock they brought with them resulted in the massive decline of Kakapo populations from hundreds of thousands to a mere handful of birds.

Once common throughout the three main islands of New Zealand, there are now approximately 62 Kakapo left. These remaining birds have been relocated to six predator free island habitats, where the birds are relatively safe and have been breeding! "

This is from this webpage. :laughing:

Piccy: c982bc7d-787a-4251-abcd-174a5de27803.jpg

New Zealand is a nuclear weapons-free zone and this status is not symbolic but enshrined in the nation's legislation. New Zealand was the first Western-allied nation to legislate towards a nuclear weapons-free zone.

New Zealand seems to have quite a proud history of telling larger nations (including Australia from time to time) to get stuffed.

Yes there were land mammals.

Science Daily — Small but remarkable fossils found in New Zealand will prompt a major rewrite of prehistory textbooks, showing for the first time that the so-called "land of birds" was once home to mammals as well.

The tiny fossilised bones - part of a jaw and hip - belonged to a unique, mouse-sized land animal unlike any other mammal known and were unearthed from the rich St Bathans fossil bed, in the Otago region of South Island.

But the real shock to scientists was that it was there at all: until now, decades of searching had shown no hint that the furry, warm-blooded animals that thrived and prospered so widely in other lands had ever trodden on New Zealand soil.

The fact that even one land mammal had lived there, at least 16 million years ago, has put paid to the theory that New Zealand's rich bird fauna had evolved there because they had no competition from land mammals.

Edited by fossillady

Yes there is a winner, but only 1 still 3 coins to go :( And the biggy too the XLE ? ? ?

CF30 has won the Two Tone Gold/Silver Chelmo for correctly guessing that Footrot Flats was the other idea I had for the back of the coin

Meet "Dog"

dog.gif

and "Cecil"

cecil.gif

Meet "Dog"

dog.gif

and "Cecil"

cecil.gif

My dad has the complete collection of Footrot Flats books. He refers to them as his farming manuals! :lol:

Oh dear - your dad - that dates me! :(

I collected these books when I was young.

I've even got a hand-written letter (remember them?) from the creator Murray Ball that he wrote to me after I sent him a letter about one of the strips. :laughing:

Oh dear - your dad - that dates me! :(

I collected these books when I was young.

I've even got a hand-written letter (remember them?) from the creator Murray Ball that he wrote to me after I sent him a letter about one of the strips. :lol:

Oh please don't feel dated! My dad is not that old! Nor am I and thats the story I am sticking to!

Our whole family took an interest in these because there were many parallels between how Wal Footrot ran his farm and how my Dad ran ours! :( Dad used the books as technical references!!

The farm has been sold now and Mum and Dad are moving into town in a few weeks (60km away) - I bet the books are still part of his reference library!

Off topic...so a fact to bring us back into line...

If there are any young men about who are having trouble finding a wife/girlfriend they might like to consider moving to New Zealand! Demographically speaking there is a statisically significant over supply of young women (compared to young men) in New Zealand. :laughing:

Apparently migration patterns of young people is a major cause of the problem. Young men leave home to "seek their fortune" and many of them either never go home or return home with a foreign wife. Young women leave home to "seek their fortune" too but many more come home to settle without an attached foreign spouse. Hence the imbalance between the genders.

(Australia also has this problem but its more pronounced in NZ)

Edited by Team Falling Numerals