COINTEST: Share What you know about New Zealand & WIN!

Team chelmo

The longest place-name still in use is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaunga-horonukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, a New Zealand hill. It means: 'The Hill where Tamatea, the great warrior, climbed over after returning from a long voyage abroad and played the flute to his beloved upon arrival'

Ohh, photos? No probs! Here's one of my favourites from Deer Park Heights above Queenstown:

smallv_stag.jpg

It's also where the Wargs attacked in LOTR, and the only reason I haven't put a cache there is that it's a commercial park with $20 (car) or $2 (walk) entrance fee dangit.

And thanks Mark but I'll exclude myself from the competition coin draws this time :ph34r:

Edited by GSVNoFixedAbode

from wikipedia:

Ashburton is a town and district in the Canterbury region on the east coast of the South Island of New Zealand. It is the third-largest centre in Canterbury (after Christchurch and Timaru).

Hey that's where I live :P WOOHOO

I know (it's on your profile). Figured I'd butter you up with facts about your town. :ph34r: So here's a little more, which I'm sure you know, but probably no one else does!

Ashburton was named by the surveyor Captain Joseph Thomas of the New Zealand Land Association, after Francis Baring, 3rd Baron Ashburton, who was a member of the Canterbury Association. The town is laid out around two central squares (either side of the railway line and main highway), 'Baring Square East' and 'Baring Square West'.

New Zealand has only had its own coinage since 1933, before that date, it used British coins.

In 1967 New Zealand changed over to decimal currency, and about the same time started to issue special coins for collectors, in the form of proof sets, dollars, and uncirculated sets. Many of these feature attractive designs.

Unlike Australia, New Zealand issues no gold bullion coins, and has only issued gold coins, all commemorative proofs, on six occasions.

In 1849, William Hobson, New Zealand's first Governor, proclaimed that British laws should apply to New Zealand and currency became subject to the Imperial Coinage Act of 1816. Because of this Act, coins in use became legal tender.

In 1999 banknotes started to be made out of plastic.

Paper note (my favorite :ph34r: )

F4458.jpg

Plastic note:

F4719.jpg

The Kingston Flyer is a vintage steam train that runs between Kingston & Fairlight twice a day from October to April.

train.jpg

The original Kingston Flyer was a passenger service that operated between Kingston and the Main South Line at Gore from 1878 through to the mid 1950s. It provided a passageway to Queenstown and the surrounding stations, by meeting up with the lake steamers at Kingston Wharf.

Today The Kingston Flyer operates on a 14km stretch of track and consists of two AB Pacific Class steam locomotives (NZ built).

• AB 795 dating 1927 was a former Royal Train Locomotive

• AB 778 dating 1925.

And seven steam-heated wooden vintage carriages dating back to 1898

At one point in the past, the moko (facial tattoo) was outlawed due to the popularity of headhunting. The tattooed Maori faces were highly sought after among head collectors, and some even went so far as to tattoo the heads post mortem to make extra profit.

Coat_of_arms_of_New_Zealand.png

Description of the New Zealand Coat of Arms

The first quarter of the shield depicts four stars as representative of the Southern Cross, then three ships symbolising the importance of New Zealand's sea trade; in the second quarter is a fleece representing the farming industry. The wheat sheaf in the third quarter represents the agricultural industry, whilst the crossed hammers in the fourth quarter represent the mining industry.

The supporters on either side of the shield consist of a Maori Chieftain holding a taiaha (a Maori war weapon) and a European woman holding the New Zealand Ensign.

Surmounting the Arms is the St Edward's Crown which was used in the Coronation ceremony of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The crown symbolises the fact that Her Majesty is Queen of New Zealand under the New Zealand Royal Titles Act 1953.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

The Order of New Zealand is New Zealand's highest honour. It was instituted by Royal Warrant, dated 6 February 1987, "to recognise outstanding service to the Crown and people of New Zealand in a civil or military capacity."

The badge of the Order consists of an oval medallion in gold and coloured enamels, bearing in the centre the design of the shield of the New Zealand Coat of Arms within a Kowhaiwhai rafter pattern. The ribbon is red ochre (kokowai) with a narrow white stripe towards either edge.

order-of-nz-lg-bd.jpg

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

We are a friendly bunch, and you guys are always welcome :ph34r:

I do vouch for that. The most amazing thing to me, while driving through the heart of the South Island, was an unmanned fruit stand with a bowl of money besides a scale in front of the stand. You simply chose your fruit, weighted it and put your money in the bowl and took your change back, without anyone doubting your honesty!!!!!!

I am already saving for a family vacation, starting somwhere around Christchurch.

Edited by OshnDoc

There are only 2 species of bats in New Zealand. (There are over 1000 bat species in the world)

The lesser short-tailed bat (Mystacina tuberculata) and the long-tailed bat (Chalinolobus tuberculatus). A third native species, the greater short-tailed bat (Mystacina robusta) is now extinct. In the North Island, most long-tailed bats are found in the Central North Island but there is a small population on Kapiti Island.

This is a photo of a long tailed bat that was taken at the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. This bat is regarded

as being an endangered species.

bat.jpg

:ph34r: I remember when I was a kid, my parents went to NZ and brought home 2 Southdown Rams for new bloodlines for our flock. (sheep) And a spinning wheel. Very cool. I also remember dad took some pictures of the treeslides near Milford sound. Kinda like a mudslide but with trees on the steep terrain.

milford%20sound%2016.JPG

A Tuatara is a reptile with links to the dinosaur. The native tuatara is found mainly on islands around New Zealand’s coast.

The tuatara is a unique relic of the past — the only beak-headed reptile left in the world. Every species of this reptile family, except the tuatara, died out around 65 million years ago. Tuatara can live for over 100 years, and were once found throughout New Zealand. Now they are only found on protected offshore islands - around 30,000 live on Stephens Island in the Marlborough Sounds. Only growing up to 24cm in length, tuatara are not a threat to humans.

tuartara.jpg

Footrot Flats - a uniquely New Zealand cartoon series by Murray Ball.

Footrot20Flats20Gallery202201-86971.jpg

CF30

WOOHOO! ! ! We have our first winner! :ph34r: and with no clues required.

I love fun coins, this was the original idea I thought of for the backside of my coin. Because the front is so formal I was unsure as to whether to persue this theme, I actually got as far as recieving an e-mail from the cartoonist apologising for not allowing me to use the images but wishing me luck.

This is a true New Zealand icon also, my coin was going to also picture "Cecil"

Well Done Crowesfeat30 "Footrot Flats" was the theme :P

Edited by Team chelmo

The Yellow-Eyed Penguin is found in the southern part of New Zealand.

Among all 18 species of penguins, the yellow-eyed penguin is the oddest one! The yellow-eyed penguin is the only type of penguin that likes to live alone. It is also the rarest type of penguin. There are only about 6,000 yellow-eyed penguins left in the world.

Wearing a grayish blue feather jacket, the yellow-eyed penguin has cat-like yellow irises and a striking yellow headband. Interestingly, the Maori, the aboriginal people of New Zealand, named this bird not for its distinctive eyes and headband, but for its voice. They called this bird "hoiho" which means noise shouter. The yellow-eyed penguin gives out high-pitched, ear-piercing calls when it is claiming territory, courting, greeting each other, or feeling threatened. Sometimes, we hear its calls before we see a yellow-eyed penguin.

Since this penguin is an endangered species, the Yellow-Eyed Penguin Trust was set up to help

the yellow eyed penguins. The Trust is based in Dunedin but manages land and penguin interests in the whole of mainland New Zealand.

Here's an image... (this would be a neat image for a coin also)

yelloweyedpenguin.gif

WOOHOO! ! ! We have our first winner! :P and with no clues required.

I love fun coins, this was the original idea I thought of for the backside of my coin. Because the front is so formal I was unsure as to whether to persue this theme, I actually got as far as recieving an e-mail from the cartoonist apologising for not allowing me to use the images but wishing me luck.

Well Done Crowesfeat30 "Footrot Flats" was the theme :ph34r:

OMYGOSH!!! I won?? How cool is that! I just stepped out to go to the grocery store (we're having crab legs for dinner tonight!) and come back to discover that I won! Wow! Cool! THANKYOU!! :):P:D Now I get to sit back and see who else wins. :D I might post a few more tidbits tho, if I'm allowed to...

CF30

WOOHOO! ! ! We have our first winner! :D and with no clues required.

Well Done Crowesfeat30 "Footrot Flats" was the theme :P

OMYGOSH!!! I won?? How cool is that! I just stepped out to go to the grocery store (we're having crab legs for dinner tonight!) and come back to discover that I won! Wow! Cool! THANKYOU!! :D:ph34r::) Now I get to sit back and see who else wins. :) I might post a few more tidbits tho, if I'm allowed to...

CF30

Fell free to keep on posting and learning/teaching.

I must admit that I was expecting this to take a little longer and perhaps even a clue or two, but you nailed it! :P

Send me your address through my profile and I will be sending A Chelmo's NZ Silver Fern LE Two Tone Gold/Silver your way ASAP :D