COINTEST: Share What you know about New Zealand & WIN!

Team chelmo

G'Day everyone, First off I would like to thank Jim (Castleman) and Paula (Cinemaboxers) for helping to make my dream come true :D These coins definately turned out better than I expected and by the popularity of them you guys also seem to like them. Thankyou :P

Now, you are thinking, "Get on with it, we want to win some coins!" :)

Well this is how you can...

It's all about New Zealand! Just share in this thread what you know about "KiwiLand" and you are in with a chance :D , I know too easy eh?!

You can post facts or images, it's up to you, no limit but there are a few simple rules (Listed below), not too many as who needs rules to spoil the fun :)

This compitition will run from NOW (the day the coins were shipped to me) until the day the coins are in my hands. There will be 4 coins given away (1 in each metal). The following "Chelmo NZ Silver Fern coins will be given away;

1x ? ? ? XLE (NZ version) Randomly drawn from all post for the duration of the comp.

1x Two Tone Gold/Silver LE For the person who posts an exact image/theme of the other idea I had for the back of the coin (Hints will come slowly to help you out with this one, those who already know are not eligible to win this coin, if you already know the theme please keep it secret! :ph34r: )

1x Satin Gold Awarded to the person who has the post number I have already selected (It's a relevant number :D )

1x Satin Silver Awarded to the very last person to post before I post to say I have the coins in hand.

The rules are simple;

1. Post Facts or images to enter

2. Only 1 fact or image per post

3. Any single person may only post the same image or fact once (so if you are drawn to win a coin I will check that YOU have not used the same post info previously (by you).

4. Have fun

5. Learn

Mark (Elmo) :P

Edited by Team chelmo

New Zealand is one of the most recently settled major land masses. The first New Zealand settlers were Eastern Polynesians who came to New Zealand, probably in a series of migrations, sometime between around 800 and 1300 AD. Over the next few centuries these settlers developed into a distinct culture now known as Māori. The population was divided into hapū (subtribes) which would co-operate, compete and sometimes fight with each other. At some point a group of Māori migrated to the Chatham Islands where they developed their own distinct culture, known as the Moriori.

CF30

(I all knew this but Wikipedia states it so much better than I)

031014_georgenuku.jpg

The Moko is similar to an identity card, or passport. For men, the Moko showed their rank, their status and their ferocity, or virility. The wearer's position of power and authority could be instantly recognized in his Moko. Certain other outward signs, combined with a particular Moko, could instantly define the "identity card" of a person. For example, a chief with Moko and at the same time wearing a dog cloak could be identified as a person of authority, in charge of warriors.

These were undeniable signs of the "identity card". It would be considered a great insult if the person was not recognized as the chief he was, and this could lead to "utu" - vengeance.

The male facial tattoo - Moko - is generally divided into eight sections :

1. Ngakaipikirau (rank). The center forehead area
  2. Ngunga (position). Around the brows
  3. Uirere (hapu rank). The eyes and nose area
  4. Uma (first or second marriage). The temples
  5. Raurau (signature). The area under the nose
  6. Taiohou (work). The cheek area
  7. Wairua (mana). The chin
  8. Taitoto (birth status). The jaw

Ancestry is indicated on each side of the face. The left side is generally (but not always, depending on the tribe) the father's side, while the right hand side indicates the mother's ancestry. Descent was a foremost requirement before a Moko could be undertaken.

If one side of a person's ancestry was not of rank, that side of the face would have no Moko design. Likewise if, in the centre forehead area there is no Moko design, this means the wearer either has no rank, or has not inherited rank.

CF30

Off to an informative start, keep it coming :ph34r:

Just to Clarify rule number 4. The same fact/image may be posted more than once, but not by the same person. This means if you want to post multuiple entries you will have to keep finding out new stuff to post (so you post a different piece of info each time you post). This is just to make things interesting and prevent the same person from reposting the same facts.

lord_l.jpg

"The film trilogy of the Lord of the Rings has had a massive impact on showing the world just how beautiful New Zealand's landscapes really are. And while most of the sets created specially for the movie have long been (deliberately) removed, the spectacular scenery remains and is well etched into the memories of movie goers.

Apart from the spectacular scenery gererally of New Zealand used in the making of the film, you can also visit locations like:

• Hobbiton and The Shire - Waikato - an easy drive south of Auckland
  • Mordor, Emyn Muil and Mount Doom - Taupo - transformed from the central North Island's Volcanic Plateau
  • Chetwood Forest, Rivendell and Dimrill Dale - Nelson - most locations easiest seen by helicopter due to the remoteness of the locations.
  • Edoras - Canterbury - the central alpine region contains New Zealand's largest peaks and glaciers, with correspondingly stunning scenery. No wonder it was selected as the location for alpine fortresses and fierce Middle-earth battle scenes!
  • Pelenor Fields - Twizel
  • Golden Plain - Wanaka
  • The Dead Marshes - Te Anau
  • Lothlorien - Queenstown
  • Fangorn Forest - Milford Sound - on Takaro Road near Te Anau, with it's beautiful beech trees
  • Misty Mountains - Southern Alps - drive through the Lindis Pass in the central South Island
  • Fangorn Forest -

Plus, these other locations used in the filming:

• In historic Queenstown and Arrowtown you can get really close to the hobbits' journey - float on a raft down the same river as Frodo, bungy jump into it or wade into the Ford of Bruinen.
  • You won't regret a side trip to the stunning Lake Wanaka and the memorable drive through the golden Cardrona Valley - savour the views of the River Anduin, site of the Pillars of the Argonath and Dimrill Dale.

The beauty of most LOTR locations is that they can easily be incorporated into most vacation plans."

Auckland's (City of Sails) population is approximately 1.3 million, making it by far the largest city in New Zealand, with one third of the country's entire population.

I've also heard that in New Zealand there are more sheep than people, and that to live in Auckland one must own a sail boat...

jrr

352px-Dinornis_maximus_28Gresham29.png

Moa were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand. They are unique in having no wings, not even small wings, unlike other ratites. Fifteen species of varying sizes are known, with the largest species, the giant moa (Dinornis robustus and Dinornis novaezelandiae), reaching about 3.6 m (12 ft) in height and about 250 kg (550 lb) in weight. They were the dominant herbivores in the New Zealand forest ecosystem.

help me, i can't stop! :ph34r:

CF30

New Zealand, one of my favorite places on this planet (right after Antarctica) is a torn-apart country. The grafic below shows the significant plate tectonic components shearing the Island state apart. The faultzone crossing through the northern end of the South Island. However, this plate tectonic setting is what gives New Zealand its geomorphologic beauty. From glaciers to blue ocean, from cold weather rainforests to tall mountains, everything is available, sometimes in less than 20km distance. I spent several weeks traveling on the southern Island in 1994 and 2003 having had some great times white water rafting, hiking and touring the country. A memory deeply embedded in my mind.

PNewZealandPlateTectonics.gif

A kiwi is any of the species of small flightless birds endemic to New Zealand of the genus Apteryx (the only genus in family Apterygidae). At around the size of a domestic chicken, kiwi are by far the smallest living ratites. Most kiwi species are endangered. The kiwi is also a national symbol of New Zealand

This is a Great Spotted Kiwi:

large-Great-spotted-kiwi-foraging.jpg

I didn't know there were spotted kiwis! :ph34r:

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

The Chatham Islands are part of New Zealand and they are located east of the New Zealand mainland.

An interesting fact about the Chatham Islands is that they are the first place to see the light of every NEW day (very close to the International Date Line). This made the Chatham Islands very famous when we changed into the new millenium. Timewise, the Chatham Islands are 45 minutes ahead of New Zealand standard time. So 12:01 AM Tuesday morning in the Chathams would be 11:16 PM Monday night on mainland New Zealand.

New Zealand, one of my favorite places on this planet (right after Antarctica) is a torn-apart country. The grafic below shows the significant plate tectonic components shearing the Island state apart. The faultzone crossing through the northern end of the South Island. However, this plate tectonic setting is what gives New Zealand its geomorphologic beauty. From glaciers to blue ocean, from cold weather rainforests to tall mountains, everything is available, sometimes in less than 20km distance. I spent several weeks traveling on the southern Island in 1994 and 2003 having had some great times white water rafting, hiking and touring the country. A memory deeply embedded in my mind.

PNewZealandPlateTectonics.gif

I like this one :ph34r: If you already have one of the coins check out the NZ side and you will see the fault lines, particularly on the South Island.

Agriculture and horticulture, forestry, fisheries, energy and minerals are the primary natural resources of New Zealand. The most valuable of these product groups, providing a high proportion of New Zealand's export earnings is agriculture and horticulture which incorporates the production of sheepmeat, beef, wool, dairy produce and hides, deer, goats and cereal products. In fact, agricultural products total more than 50% of all New Zealand exports.

Mount Cook, New Zealand’s highest mountain, and spectacular glaciers. Tongariro is situated on the North Island’s volcanic plateau, and contains the active volcanoes Mount Tongariro, Ruapehu, and the cone-shaped Ngauruhoe. The area is of special cultural significance to Maori, and also contains Lake Taupo, New Zealand’s largest lake.

800px-Silver_Fern.jpg

Cyathea dealbata, or the silver tree fern or silver fern (Kaponga or Ponga in the Māori language), is a species of medium-sized tree fern, endemic to New Zealand.

This fern is known to grow to heights of 10 m or more (though it occasionally takes a rare creeping form). The crown is dense, and the fronds tend to be about 4 m long and have a silver-white colouration on the undersides. This distinctive silver colouration has made them useful for laying along tracks for night walking. The scales are a dark brown and are often twisted and glossy.

Ooh, this is fun! :ph34r:

CF30

New Zealand’s summer months are December to February, bringing high temperatures and sunshine. Days are long and sunny, nights are mild. Summer is an excellent time for walking in the bush and a variety of other outdoor activities. New Zealand’s many gorgeous beaches are ideal for swimming, sunbathing, surfing, boating, and water sports during summer.