Where do YOU fit in your state's geocaching timeline?

There's certainly a trend.

Second to Last page (only 2 on last page)...

cold.gif

Second to First page (first page is all events)...

cnew.gif

I don't know when this thread turned into the same old micro bashing thread, but you might note two things:

• There was no micro-size category in the beginning. In fact, right this second, I'm not sure if 'small' existed way back then.
  • The list you are referencing only chronicles caches that are still active. Of course, the oldest pages are going to be full of ammo cans off the beaten path. Less sturdy cantainers and those hidden in muggle-rich environments would likely be archived long ago.

From where I sit, I'm seeing that you were the first to mention "micro bashing" but then it is pretty hard not to see a trend unless you really don't want to see it. One might even be inspired to invent facts of their own to keep the blinders on. Your two things of note are a smokescreen.

I'm OG enough to know better. Two of the 20 oldest hides in Pennsylvania are mine (they're on the last page or not depending on where the page break is at any given time). It's interesting to note that less than half of these caches are still being maintained by their original owners. The really OG's are mostly gone. I think my time for being attritioned (is that a word?) is drawing near.

Somebody will correct me if I wrong but I'm just about certain that my failing memory is still better than yours. I believe that the size attribute has been around almost as long as the micro because I'm pretty sure that it was created for that purpose. I know that micros have been around since before I started caching but they were rarely hidden in the early days. The "small" size was introduced just a couple of years ago when the size attribute icon was added to the search listings. Prior to that, you had to choose between micro or large. Saying that there are no micros among the oldest caches because the containers were less sturdy or vulnerable to muggles doesn't work. They might still exist if they were properly maintained. My oldest caches are not in their original containers. One might argue that there are no micros in the list because their owners or the community didn't care enough about them but I don't think you want to go there. It's off-topic and probably false. There just weren't very many micros being hidden way back when.

There's certainly a trend.

Second to Last page (only 2 on last page)...

cold.gif

Second to First page (first page is all events)...

cnew.gif

I don't know when this thread turned into the same old micro bashing thread, but you might note two things:
  • There was no micro-size category in the beginning. In fact, right this second, I'm not sure if 'small' existed way back then.
  • The list you are referencing only chronicles caches that are still active. Of course, the oldest pages are going to be full of ammo cans off the beaten path. Less sturdy cantainers and those hidden in muggle-rich environments would likely be archived long ago.

From where I sit, I'm seeing that you were the first to mention "micro bashing" but then it is pretty hard not to see a trend unless you really don't want to see it. One might even be inspired to invent facts of their own to keep the blinders on. Your two things of note are a smokescreen.

I'm OG enough to know better. Two of the 20 oldest hides in Pennsylvania are mine (they're on the last page or not depending on where the page break is at any given time). It's interesting to note that less than half of these caches are still being maintained by their original owners. The really OG's are mostly gone. I think my time for being attritioned (is that a word?) is drawing near.

Somebody will correct me if I wrong but I'm just about certain that my failing memory is still better than yours. I believe that the size attribute has been around almost as long as the micro because I'm pretty sure that it was created for that purpose. I know that micros have been around since before I started caching but they were rarely hidden in the early days. The "small" size was introduced just a couple of years ago when the size attribute icon was added to the search listings. Prior to that, you had to choose between micro or large. Saying that there are no micros among the oldest caches because the containers were less sturdy or vulnerable to muggles doesn't work. They might still exist if they were properly maintained. My oldest caches are not in their original containers. One might argue that there are no micros in the list because their owners or the community didn't care enough about them but I don't think you want to go there. It's off-topic and probably false. There just weren't very many micros being hidden way back when.

You disagree that a cache that is more likely to be muggled is not more likely to be archived six years later?
... Somebody will correct me if I wrong but I'm just about certain that my failing memory is still better than yours. I believe that the size attribute has been around almost as long as the micro because I'm pretty sure that it was created for that purpose. I know that micros have been around since before I started caching but they were rarely hidden in the early days. The "small" size was introduced just a couple of years ago when the size attribute icon was added to the search listings. ...
You are correct. Micro came first. Small was introduced at the end of 04 or beginning of 05.

You disagree that a cache that is more likely to be muggled is not more likely to be archived six years later?

Nope. But until you can prove (your unfounded theorys are a waste of everybody's time) that micros are inherently more likely to get muggled than other caches then that by itself wouldn't explain why micros are absent from the ranks of the oldest surviving caches. I might counter that micros are easier to maintain (because it's easy to invent plausible explantions for such things without offering any proof) but by then we've dragged this thread completely off topic.

I hereby apologize to the OP for my contribution to derailing this topic.

I'd like to know if anybody noticed any OM's (original micros) in the lists. That's vaguely back on topic, I think.

Nope. But until you can prove (your unfounded theorys are a waste of everybody's time) that micros are inherently more likely to get muggled than other caches then that by itself wouldn't explain why micros are absent from the ranks of the oldest surviving caches. I might counter that micros are easier to maintain (because it's easy to invent plausible explantions for such things without offering any proof) but by then we've dragged this thread completely off topic. ...
Prove???

I've owned urban micros as well as ammo boxes in the woods. The micros require tons more maintenance. They disappear much more frequently.

I don't need to poll the audience to support this position. I know it to be true from my own experience.

Edited by sbell111

I don't know when this thread turned into the same old micro bashing thread,

My word. Can the redheaded stepchild/scapegoat/whipping boy ever get a rest??? SHEESH. :)

Can the next post be ON topic......PLEASE. :P

Edited by Snoogans

This is on topic I think...

I guess I qualify as the grandfather of geocaching in Wisconsin:

Out of 480 pages, on page 480 I placed the oldest active cache in the state. On the next oldest page 479, I own three.

As a fellow old-timer recently said, "Back in my day we carved our GPS receivers out of hickory." :)

I stumbled upon this the other day and I just got time to post about it.

You'll have to log in to play the game for your state....Try it. It's kinda fun.

Where do you place in your state's timeline?

Are you an OG too?

Very interesting! :D Had to check this out and discovered I've found the 3rd oldest and 12th oldest active caches in Texas both of which are currently showing on page 930.

On the third oldest cache... "A Walk in the Park" (GCA1)....the first 16 finders have from 1 to 16 finds. The 17th finder was..... Prime Suspect..... who is still finding them today. Interesting that many of the early finders didn't cache very long. Maybe because there weren't that many caches to find?

First hide would have made it on page 892 if it were still active. Page 890 has the oldest active Sportsters cache. And page 3 has the latest finds....which would have been page one had I logged this when first reading Snoogans post. Then I could have had a find on page 1 and page 930! <_<

Cool stuff to check out. Thanks Snoogans!

Edited by Sportsters

Hawaii has 695 active caches, 35 pages.

We still consider ourselves "new" in the state, but our first hide, placed 8/13/05 is now one page 20, so more than half the caches her were hidden after our first placement.

Pretty much every active cacher on Oahu makes a point of finding the oldest cache in the state GC23

We've found 4 of 5 oldest caches in the state and attempted the other one but ended up with a DNF.

..."Back in my day we carved our GPS receivers out of hickory." <_<

That's where the old hickory went. We second generation cachers had to use Knotty Southern Pine to carve out our GPSs.

Of course that's better than the plywood the 3rd generation had to use, and I don't even want to think about the particle board GPSs. Yuck.

Edited by Renegade Knight

..."Back in my day we carved our GPS receivers out of hickory." :D

That's where the old hickory went. We second generation cachers had to use Knotty Southern Pine to carve out our GPSs.

Of course that's better than the plywood the 3rd generation had to use, and I don't even want to think about the particle board GPSs. Yuck.

Not joking here.....

The first "GPSr" I ever used was a manpack unit that had an accuracy of 50 meters and it took a minimum of 30 minutes to get that solid of a fix. <_<

I stumbled upon this the other day and I just got time to post about it.

You'll have to log in to play the game for your state.

Texas currently has 927 pages of active caches. I was surprised to see that on page 927, I had 2 finds in the first 15 caches. Interesting... I had quite a few finds as I went foreword in time and backward in page numbers. I went more than 20 pages before I came to a page with no finds.

From there I was curious as to what page the start of my geocaching career began and that turned out to be 39 pages away on page 888 where the caches hidden on 2/28/03 would be if there were any still active. Ummm, there aren't any.

From there I was curious to see what page my very first cache would be on since it is still active and that turned out to be just 2 pages away on page 886.

The facts are staggering. 888 pages of caches still active in Texas since I started caching and no telling how many thousands of archived ones. I guess that makes me an OG (Origional Geocacher) in my state just by time served and not as much by attrition as I once thought.

Here's an interesting thing about cache attrition. The first time I performed this exercise, my first cache was in the middle on page 885, so several more of the earliest caches in Texas had to have died for it to move that far.

Try it. It's kinda fun.

Where do you place in your state's timeline?

Are you an OG too?

Now there are something like 940 pages, and I'm right there with you on page 939. There were some previous to that, but they've been archived...lol. So yes, we're both members of the OG club.

Mac

You can also mouse over your name, and see what number cacher you were at the bottom of the page in the status bar. I was the 91,581st cacher account.

It's funny that there were only 2000 caches in the entire state of California, when I signed up and now there are that many within 20 miles of my house.

Mine is 106882. I memorized mine for GSAK.

Talk about OG!! Mine is 18612.

Sigh, that seems so long ago....lol.

Mac

My first cache is currently the 12th oldest active cache in Mississippi. It's also the first micro ever placed in the state (And no, it's not under a lamp post skirt). It's been there over 5 years and has never been muggled! I have found nine of the first 11 caches still active.

It also appears that I am the senior cacher in Mississippi that's still active.

Edited by pater47

I just checked ours and we are on page 454 of 456 with 8 caches in the oldest 45 still active.

Not bad me thinks. :D

Looks like another challenge is to try and clear out all the oldest caches I have not found in Oregon.

Interesting road trip for a weekend.

ID # 8424

Logscaler

Edited by logscaler & Red

Dang! I OWN page 1778 (9 cache listings) of California's 1969 pages of active listings.

Well as of today there are 2005 pages in the ca. list

page 2005 I found gc5b the oldest active cache in ca

page 2003 I found my 2nd cache gc20b the first cache I found gc146 has been archived

page 1990 I hid my first cache gc1427 The Buzzing Might Be Rattle Snakes

edit to add ID 3892

so does that make an old watchamacallit ????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by vagabond