Where do YOU fit in your state's geocaching timeline?

I stumbled upon this the other day and I just got time to post about it.

You'll have to log in to play the game for your state.

Texas currently has 927 pages of active caches. I was surprised to see that on page 927, I had 2 finds in the first 15 caches. Interesting... I had quite a few finds as I went foreword in time and backward in page numbers. I went more than 20 pages before I came to a page with no finds.

From there I was curious as to what page the start of my geocaching career began and that turned out to be 39 pages away on page 888 where the caches hidden on 2/28/03 would be if there were any still active. Ummm, there aren't any.

From there I was curious to see what page my very first cache would be on since it is still active and that turned out to be just 2 pages away on page 886.

The facts are staggering. 888 pages of caches still active in Texas since I started caching and no telling how many thousands of archived ones. I guess that makes me an OG (Origional Geocacher) in my state just by time served and not as much by attrition as I once thought.

Here's an interesting thing about cache attrition. The first time I performed this exercise, my first cache was in the middle on page 885, so several more of the earliest caches in Texas had to have died for it to move that far.

Try it. It's kinda fun.

Where do you place in your state's timeline?

Are you an OG too?

Edited by Snoogans
And on page 491 I have three caches (top, bottom & middle).

Check in a month and they probably won't be top, bottom & middle. The bottom one will probably be on the next page.

It's an interesting way to watch cache attrition.

Edited by Snoogans

You can also mouse over your name, and see what number cacher you were at the bottom of the page in the status bar. I was the 91,581st cacher account.

It's funny that there were only 2000 caches in the entire state of California, when I signed up and now there are that many within 20 miles of my house.

You can also mouse over your name, and see what number cacher you were at the bottom of the page in the status bar. I was the 91,581st cacher account.

It's funny that there were only 2000 caches in the entire state of California, when I signed up and now there are that many within 20 miles of my house.

Mine is 106882. I memorized mine for GSAK.

My first find was May 15th, 2002. In the Kentucky listings, that would place me on page 177 out of 179 cache pages. There is actually one cache still active that was started on that day.

I didn't live in Kentucky when I started caching, however. I ended up here when I evacuated for hurricane Katrina. I started my caching adventures in the New Orleans area. Nearly all of my first couple dozen finds have been destroyed either through the usual cache attrition or through Katrina/Rita or one of a few other storms. In Louisiana there are currently only 87 pages of caches. My first day of caching falls in the gap between pages 85 and 86. The first page with any of my finds still active is page 84, which has 2 caches that I found.

I've found far more caches since coming to Kentucky, though, because I didn't own a gps in my first 4 years as a cacher. I just cached as I was able to borrow them from people I knew.

In North Dakota where I now live there are 20 pages with 383 caches.

My oldest find is page 19 cache 380.

I moved here at the bottom of page 9.

My first hide is at the top of page 9.

For Minnesota which is just 16 miles away, there are 5082 caches on 255 pages.

My oldest find is page 249.

I moved here on page 130.

My first hide there was on page 111.

In Alaska where I first started caching there are 77 pages.

My oldest find was on page 76.

I started caching on page 43.

Maine only has 98 pages of caches. I could search through the pages, but since I have a list of nearly every cache published here, so I can tell you:

There were 158 total caches in Maine when I joined, 3 of those had been archived, leaving 155 available for me to find.

Maine's oldest cache is still active, and I have found it.

I have hidden 5 caches, all of which are still active. They were the 218th, 253rd, 260th, 359th, and 460th caches placed here.

There are now about 2400 total caches placed, a little over 1900 available.

I guess I am an OG, but it doesn't seem that way to me. When I had 20 finds, I can remember there were a couple prolific cachers that were nearly up to 50!

I use my list to create some state stats.

Edited by brdad

There are 130 pages for Nebraska. I have found 2 of the oldest 3. I had a cache on page 130 but archived it just a month ago. I have 4 on page 129. 2 on page 128.

There are 68 pages in Wyoming. I have found 4 of the caches on page 68. I own 3 on page 67.

My acct# is: 39181

Edited by StarBrand

Montana has 86 pages.

I FTFed 3 caches on page 84 plus one other hidden at the same time but since been archived.

At that time I didn't know what FTF was.

I didn't even know what geocaching was.

I was given the coords at a gold-prospecting event in the little rockies. I was told, "the first person to find all these points will win a prize" Me and my daughter were the first to find the points (no one else was looking) but we didn't win a prize (unless you count the items in the caches) except for being hooked on geocaching.

NC has 411 pages of active caches. The 2nd cache I found is on page 411. The first cache I found, which is also my FTF is on page 410. For caches that I've hidden, my oldest active is on page 409. So I guess that makes me an OG.

Another interesting thing to do is look at some of the old logs and see how many of those cachers are still active. Sadly...not many.

El Diablo

VT has 47 pages of caches. the first cache placed in the state is still active. although i joined geocaching in 2002, my first caching day was january 1, 2003. i wanted to start on a significant date.

i picked the cache closest to my house and set out, bushwhacking up a mountain. the cache was under four feet of ice out on a ledge and was not winter findable. it would be twleve more days before i found a cache.

i pioneered many puzzle types in this state, as well as some hiding methods. before craschco and i came along, FTFs went for days or weeks before being found. for a while we were always the FTF, but then decided it was unsporting and we laid off.

i was the first VT cacher to reach 100, 250, 500, 1000, you get the idea. i am the only VT cacher to have found an APE cache.

all of this happened so long ago that nearly nobody remembers and these days a lot of the new people have no idea who i am. suits me fine; when i go to events i prefer to put my given name on my nametag and i wander around looking vaguely disinterested. you know, like a caching widow.

i've mostly been on hiatus this last year or so; illness and some other things took over.

but i guess i'm a member of the old guard. i can only think of four or five VT cachers still active who were active when i started.

AS you noted 927 pages for the Big ol state of Tejas.

My first hide would have been on page 864 if it were still active.

My oldest find is the very bottom of page 927 :( as I made it a point to find the oldest active cache in Texas for my 1000th find.

My first find would have been on the middle of page 870 if it were still active.

Out of my first 20 finds only 7 are still active.

Interesting, never looked at the State pages in that fashion. :( New York, has 424 pages. I was surprised to see I have found 10 of the first 200, including No. 1 a few weeks ago, which is also the 16th cache placed in the world, and fifth oldest active in the world. My first hide (archived) would have been on page 367, but my oldest active, only 9 days later, is on page 366.

Idaho has 236 Pages. I have found 11 of the 19 caches on that page.

My first active cache is on page 232.

By my own estimation I'm a 2nd generation cacher in this state. The first generation were fading fast when I started. There are only two that I know of who remain. It's intersting to note that most of the core second generation cachers are still active.

Out of 927 pages for Texas, my geocaching starts on page 927. There are only 9 existing caches that pre-date me. I was the 10th person to log a find on the first geocache in the state, and none of the 9 who preceded me are still active.

What do I win?

Slightly off topic.......

I ran into someone today that remembers your Trinity Trails Cache back from 2001. I had a booth at the Annual Dallas Scout Show, and I was disseminating information about geocaching at Circle 10 Camps.

After I addressed his group when they stopped at my table, his first question was "Have you heard of a geocacher by the name of Prime Suspect?"

He has not cached in a few years, but apparently the DNF from the Trinity Trails still haunts him to this day. He said he found all the clues, but came up empty at the final.

Back on topic......

Of the 927 Texas pages the newest five pages and few on page 6 (100+ caches) are all "NEW CACHES" hidden, reviewed, and approved within the last 4 Days.

A big thanks to the local reviewer and the prime job! :(

Edited by Roland_oso

uh.. ok, so you want:

the total number pages for my state.

the oldest (highest numbered) page on which any of my finds are.

&

the oldest (highest numbered) page on which any of my hides are (including now archives ones).

the page number on which my oldest find is / or would be if archived.

number of pages of active caches since that first find.

is that right?? :(

uh.. ok, so you want:

&

the oldest (highest numbered) page on which any of my hides are (including now archives ones).

is that right?? :(

I personally don't want anything. You can play the obscure statistics in any way you wish. I merely pointed out an interesting perspective I discovered just poking around.

Play or don't. It makes no difference to me. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

I originally started caching in Central Florida, the cache I hid was adopted by someone when I moved, its still active and is the 32 oldest cache in the state. I missed having the oldest cache in Central Florida by two weeks. Its towards the bottom of page 600 of 602.

Interesting exercise, never checked this before.

Kind of a neat set of statistics

As Briansnat mentioned - NJ has 159 pages

We started caching on page 133

Our oldest hide was an event which would have fallen on page 121 if still active.

The oldest caches we ever found are on page 157 & we've been considering attempting 2 on page 159 for awhile now.

Not sure if that makes us part of the OG, but it was interesting to look up!

Connecticut only has 112 pages. Of the earliest ones (page 112) I've found the #8 and #6 oldest active caches.

The first cache on the list was placed Dec 11, 2000. This perspective makes me want to focus on the older caches, there's history to them!

But, I think I may have a record for slowest cacher. I started in 2003 and been caching slowly for the last 4 years. Only 21 finds so far. Children and Illness have been against us, but now that We feel better, and the child is older, the count will pick up pace.

There are 1645 caches on the list for South Island, New Zealand.

My first placed was the last one added.

There have been 103 (including mine) placed sinced a first signed up, 69 days ago.

In that time I have only found 42 caches so basicly they are being hidden faster than I can find them.

So where do I come, total newbie but its actualy interesting how many people I find have only started since the start of the year.

uh.. ok, so you want:

&

is that right?? :)

I personally don't want anything. You can play the obscure statistics in any way you wish. I merely pointed out an interesting perspective I discovered just poking around.

Ok lets ask this a different way, the info in first post for Snoogans was:

the total number pages in their state.

the oldest (highest numbered) page on which any of there finds are .

&

the oldest (highest numbered) page on which any of their hides are (including now archives ones).

the page number on which their oldest find is / or would be if archived.

Play or don't. It makes no difference to me. :ph34r:

:D , sorry I thought was some comparision thing to determine if I was an Old whatever. Can't really do that if I don't know what the question/rules are :)

Out of 927 pages for Texas, my geocaching starts on page 927. There are only 9 existing caches that pre-date me. I was the 10th person to log a find on the first geocache in the state, and none of the 9 who preceded me are still active.

What do I win?

Slightly off topic.......

I ran into someone today that remembers your Trinity Trails Cache back from 2001. I had a booth at the Annual Dallas Scout Show, and I was disseminating information about geocaching at Circle 10 Camps.

After I addressed his group when they stopped at my table, his first question was "Have you heard of a geocacher by the name of Prime Suspect?"

He has not cached in a few years, but apparently the DNF from the Trinity Trails still haunts him to this day. He said he found all the clues, but came up empty at the final.

That was a fun cache, but it was plagued with problems, with several clue sites getting vandalized, and I eventually killed it after the final was either taken or washed away. I might resurrect it one of these days, since the rules on virtual stages has been changed.

My finds start on page 926 of Texas' 926 pages, and I've found 9 of the 19 listed on that page. I own one of them - the second oldest cache in the state (although I adopted it).

I guess I'm an OG too, although not *nearly* as OG as fellow Dallasite Prime Suspect. :blink:

snip

Another interesting thing to do is look at some of the old logs and see how many of those cachers are still active. Sadly...not many.

El Diablo

Different game, different players.

edited to change wording slightly

Edited by mikemtn

Since I started in New Mexico, I'll post my stats for there:

129 pages of caches, I found the first 4 caches placed there (that are still active, BTW) and 10 of the 20 on that first page. I have a find on every page from 100-129 except for pages 110 and 122. My oldest existing cache is at the very bottom of page 117.

I moved to Colorado 2 1/2 years ago. There are 230 pages of caches here. I found a cache on every page from 219 to 229. Guess I need to visit the oldest cache in the state :blink: I could always count Kansas...I found Mingo a couple of years ago :huh:

State Search -- California

Total Records: 39504 - Page: 1 of 1976

I have no idea how to wade through that many pages . . . and on a 24K dialup connection, I don't think I want to try to figure it out . . . faint.gif

Yesterday I found a cache placed on 1/20/2001 . . . does that count? :blink:

Even though I started playing in 6/02 and have found many of the early caches placed in NY (including the first). I would consider myself 2nd generation. In my area NAVICACHE was very active in 2001- to mid 2003 The first picnic I went to was hosted by Quinn and even at the first couple of Letchworth Gatherings there was a fair amount of discussion of Navicaches. Back then there was a small core group that I looked at as having if you will, caching experience, that is they were the ones placing the hides or had already found the few dozen that existed in the region at the time.

There's certainly a trend.

Second to Last page (only 2 on last page)...

cold.gif

Second to First page (first page is all events)...

cnew.gif

I don't know when this thread turned into the same old micro bashing thread, but you might note two things:

• There was no micro-size category in the beginning. In fact, right this second, I'm not sure if 'small' existed way back then.
  • The list you are referencing only chronicles caches that are still active. Of course, the oldest pages are going to be full of ammo cans off the beaten path. Less sturdy cantainers and those hidden in muggle-rich environments would likely be archived long ago.

Edited by sbell111