Banana Slugs & High Places

hydnsek

I'm definitely considering coming along. I will wake up insanely early and drive down if I do come. Does anyone know the quickest way to get to Paradise from Seattle? I usually mix it up each time I go, but I've never paid attention to which way is faster. Plus I'm not sure how much damage there was to the roads over winter, knowing the status would be good.

;)

Welcome, Annie! We'll have to be on good behavior now, we have a Groundspeak operative embedded. :P

As for the roads.....Paradise is open to tourists, and the road to it is in good repair. It was a park priority repair, due to being the main destination for visitors.

You can get all the latest info on Mt Rainier, including road status, directions, trail conditions, 2006 flood damage, etc. from visiting the the park's website at http://www.nps.gov/mora/.

General directions from Seattle area, per the site: South on I-5 to SR 512 (exit 127). East on SR 512 to SR 7. South on SR 7 to SR 706 in Elbe. East on SR 706 through Ashford to the Nisqually Entrance.

The site reports that Nisqually entrance to Longmire, and Longmire to Paradise are open.

Although the Banana Slugs & High Places cache is no longer part of the WA History Challenge, this trip is still on - I think most of us want to make this trek, regardless. It should be spectactular! :P

Below are info and attendance updates.

Confirming a few details about our group outing to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier for the Banana Slugs & High Places cache:

• Date: Saturday, June 30
  • Meeting spot: Trailhead at Paradise
  • Departure time: 7:00 am
  • Camping: Cougar Rock is the nearest campground. Several of us are camping there on Friday night.
  • Distance: 9 miles RT, elevation gain 4600 ft
  • Duration: 6-9 hours, depending on fitness and weather
  • Weather report: Daily Hourly
  • Muir Trail: Hiking details and Map and compass bearings
  • Recent trip reports: June 2 and June 3

Attendees

Current status for June 30 outing, with Cougar Rock campsites.

Definite

hydnsek - C34

Cruiser Guy (+5) - C33, C35, C36

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

EraSeek - driving down that morning

Moun10Bike - riding with EraSeek

MarcusArelius - driving down that morning

cache ahead - with hydnsek

Maybe

ruck - driving down that morning

-Hawk- driving down that morning

love<3 - driving down that morning

LandRover

Blue Power Ranger

nolenator

grossi

k7-wave

You can add me to the FOR SURE list for next Saturday. I'll probably have a guest or two with me.

My wife, 12-year-old daugher, brother-in-law and I actually took a crack at this one and ended up turning back just 1/4 of a mile short of Muir at N46 49.887 W121 43.798, Elev. 9665ft. It was actually a tough decision to turn back when we did after all the work it took to get there. Our strategy was to go very light on gear and get up and down as quickly as possible.

This strategy took out any wiggle-room we might have to deal with adverse weather. When we got as far as we did, a very sudden wind picked up, visibility dropped to less than 100ft. It went from being quite warm and comfortable to very cold in a matter of seconds. We really wanted to get there but I feel good about our decision to head down when we did. We made a plan and stuck with it. I did log a DNF on the cache.

A couple of thoughts...

The snow starting right from the parking lot at Paradise up made for a difficult hike. The snow started with a good firm crust of ice but as the day progressed, we were hiking if very sloppy slushy conditions. My boot which were labled "water-proof" were anything but. The did seem to do a great job of holding the water in though. The only two areas that I wished I had brought better equipment for were my boots and my gloves. Both became uncomfortable.

We each carried about 120oz. of water and ended up using about 1/2 of it. Same with the food we carried. We brought way too much candy type food but ended up eating very little of it.

I can't wait to get back up there next week and finish this off. This will bug me all week.

f2795424-d6e0-47c3-b6e4-2cc19ff39fd2.jpg

Climbing out of Paradise.

37a1ee8d-3418-4801-8273-36828723727b.jpg

First good view towards our goal.

22d8ff0f-ded3-47c1-bbf0-bf188b882f2c.jpg

The trail just below Pebble Creek.

3c669b6b-7d3c-43c2-a68e-ea6843101034.jpg

At Pebble Creek.

37613eec-fb18-437b-8227-2939fc14d2f9.jpg

Starting the Muir Snowfield.

ff9218a8-2c3b-4112-b050-1672dae98859.jpg

This was WAY steeper in person.

237d591e-bec7-44ee-870b-91d6fb586bf1.jpg

The glissade was the best part!

I'm wondering what is the fastest route from the Mountian to Port Orchard. My Ex used to take an awful route on a street with lots of stop lights. The drive took him 3 hours, Streets and Tips claims that it only takes two hours. That route goes through Tacoma and then down 7. If that is really a three hour route I need to know since I have an appointment in Port Orchard at 9am and can't be late.

I'm in!

I don't know if this has been posted before but I just found your track log of this hike at http://www.switchbacks.com/maps.html I saved it but it came with the XML extension so I changed the extenstion to GPX and then I opened it in Gpstrackmaker and sent it to my GPS as the active log and then renamed it to "Muir" on my GPS. I also downloaded it to mapsource from my GPS so I could get a better look at it. Thanks!

Although the Banana Slugs & High Places cache is no longer part of the WA History Challenge, this trip is still on - I think most of us want to make this trek, regardless. It should be spectactular! :signalviolin:

Confirming a few details about our group outing to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier for the Banana Slugs & High Places cache:

• Camping: Cougar Rock is the nearest campground. Several of us are camping there on Friday night.

Attendees

Definite

hydnsek - C34

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

Maybe

LandRover

Blue Power Ranger

nolenator

grossi

k7-wave

We can add reijojo to the definate list along with me. This is my brother-in-law. He has accompanied me to many caches but just now finally signed up on the site himself.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

OK, time for a final head count! I've updated the list based on recent messages and emails. Sadly (for me), I'm now on the Maybe list, due to injury. I'll probably come anyway, since I have a camp spot, regardless of whether I can climb.

Attendees

Definite

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

cache ahead - camping with hydnsek

Blue Power Ranger

reijojo

LandRover

Maybe

hydnsek - C34

nolenator

k7-wave

Nope

Moun10Bike

grossi

Edited by hydnsek

OK, time for a final head count! I've updated the list based on recent messages and emails. Sadly (for me), I'm now on the Maybe list, due to injury. I'll probably come anyway, since I have a camp spot, regardless of whether I can climb.

Oh no! What happened? It won't be the same without our fearless leader. I hope you can hike.

Although the Banana Slugs & High Places cache is no longer part of the WA History Challenge, this trip is still on - I think most of us want to make this trek, regardless. It should be spectactular! <_<

Attendees

Definite

hydnsek - C34

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

Maybe

LandRover

Blue Power Ranger

nolenator

grossi

k7-wave

We can add reijojo to the definate list along with me. This is my brother-in-law. He has accompanied me to many caches but just now finally signed up on the site himself.

Add me to the definite list.

I've had the week off from work. When I left I could hardely walk with my knee. It seems much better now but I still know I can't use it forever without replacement. Too many marathons and mountains. Work is obviously the biggest problem for it glitching up. Though I could probobly make it to Muir now (down would still be the challenge), I've made other plans. Hope you all enjoy the trip. It is well worth doing and gives one the feeling of accomplishment. Overall, just a different enviornment.

Updated head count.

Attendees

Definite

hydnsek - C34

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

cache ahead - camping with hydnsek

Blue Power Ranger - driving down that morning

reijojo - riding with BPR

LandRover - driving down that morning

Old Bald Eagle - camping with Forty-n-Eight

Maybe

nolenator

k7-wave

Nope

Moun10Bike

grossi

EraSeek

Edited by hydnsek

I've managed a kitchen pass for this and will be there but have to start early (5:00 AMish) so I can arrive on Bainbridge Island by 4:00 PM for a family thing. Sigh. What we won't do for a cache. If anyone else can't sleep, I'd enjoy the company.

If you stop by our campsite on the way, I might join you. I don't sleep that well camping, anyway.

And real bummer that EraSeek and Moun10Bike can't join us - besides their great company, which will be missed, they've done this trek before.

I've managed a kitchen pass for this and will be there but have to start early (5:00 AMish) so I can arrive on Bainbridge Island by 4:00 PM for a family thing. Sigh. What we won't do for a cache. If anyone else can't sleep, I'd enjoy the company.

If you stop by our campsite on the way, I might join you. I don't sleep that well camping, anyway.

And real bummer that EraSeek and Moun10Bike can't join us - besides their great company, which will be missed, they've done this trek before.

Uh, not to change the whole plan or anything, but I'm kinda interested in an earlier start time myself. When we were up there last week, we found that the early morning hiking was a breeze on the hard frozen snow. As the morning progressed, and the snow softened became more difficult to slog through.

Uh, not to change the whole plan or anything, but I'm kinda interested in an earlier start time myself. When we were up there last week, we found that the early morning hiking was a breeze on the hard frozen snow. As the morning progressed, and the snow softened became more difficult to slog through.

:laughing: I have a babysitter coming at 6:30am I can not start earlier then 7am. 7am is early morning to me! If it is decided to go earlier then that please let me know right away so I can cancel the babysitter and stay home. If I have to hike alone there is no reason for me to spend a small fortune on a babysitter. If I'm hiking alone I can wait until my husband has a day off and have him watch the kids.

Edited by luckykoi

:rolleyes: I have a babysitter coming at 6:30am I can not start earlier then 7am. 7am is early morning to me! If it is decided to go earlier then that please let me know right away so I can cancel the babysitter and stay home. If I have to hike alone there is no reason for me to spend a small fortune on a babysitter. If I'm hiking alone I can wait until my husband has a day off and have him watch the kids.

Oh don't do anything like that! I'll be there at 7:00 then. :laughing:

Looks like this is going to be a lot of fun.

:rolleyes: I have a babysitter coming at 6:30am I can not start earlier then 7am. 7am is early morning to me! If it is decided to go earlier then that please let me know right away so I can cancel the babysitter and stay home. If I have to hike alone there is no reason for me to spend a small fortune on a babysitter. If I'm hiking alone I can wait until my husband has a day off and have him watch the kids.

The group is large enough that some could start at 5 am, and keep OBE company, and others at 7 am, and pick up our prone bodies on the way back. :laughing:

I'm fine with either time. 5 am would be very hard for me, as I'm not a morning person (7 is early!), but I don't like the slushy mushing that might happen later on, either.

Edited by hydnsek

The group is large enough that some could start at 5 am, and keep OBE company, and others at 7 am, and pick up our prone bodies on the way back. :laughing:

I'm fine with either time. 5 am would be very hard for me, as I'm not a morning person (7 is early!), but I don't like the slushy mushing that might happen later on, either.

Good point, sounds like we have a rather large group. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be staying at the Forty-n-eight campsite...#32. So I'll stir around a bit. It's plenty light at five these days.

I summited 11 years ago on the 30th of June. So, I've been to Muir too, but I'm older now. I glad there is some interest in the earlier start.

Edited by OldBaldEagle

I'll probably head up with OBE to make sure he's not hiking alone. Plus I'm kind of interested to get out on the trail in the early morning; one of my favorite times of the day. See you all there...sounds like it's going to be lots of fun!

I'd like to go with you guys if 1. someone ensures i get up early enough, and 2. you don't leave me behind with your he-man strides. :laughing:

I'll be staying at the Forty-n-eight campsite...#32. So I'll stir around a bit. It's plenty light at five these days.

I summited 11 years ago on the 30th of June. So, I've been to Muir too, but I'm older now. I glad there is some interest in the earlier start.

That's next to my site.. I just hope I can get out without waking up my 3 year old.. so does my babysitter!

Does anyone have coordinates for the trailhead by chance? Or just an explanation of where the trailhead is at Paradise? When it's that early in the morning, I want to make sure I head to the right place from the start. :laughing:

N46 47.183 W121 44.185

Just so everyone knows, there is very limited parking right at the trailhead right now due to construction. Last weekend a lot of folks were parking down the road or in the visitor's center parking lot.

Edit: Just spoke with reijojo, looks like we may have to go earlier than 7 after all due to some late afternoon commitments he has to be back for. I'm sure we'll meet you all on the trail. We will have FRS radios on channel 2.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

and here comes the rain... :(

Yeah, doesn't look very promising right now, eh. Pouring buckets at my house. But the weather says it's supposed to clear off by tomorrow. Few clouds in the morning, then sun later. Of course, Rainier likes to make its own weather, so who knows....

and here comes the rain... :(

Yeah, doesn't look very promising right now, eh. Pouring buckets at my house. But the weather says it's supposed to clear off by tomorrow. Few clouds in the morning, then sun later. Of course, Rainier likes to make its own weather, so who knows....

The sun is shining in Shelton now so sunshine should be headed that way.

Wow that was a blast. Despite the sunscreen and hat my face and arms are burned. The good news is that I don't hurt too badly. The glisading down the slope saved a lot of time and effort. Mount Saint Helens was a much more difficult climb. Thanks Hydensek.