Banana Slugs & High Places

hydnsek

I ran into this recent trip report to Camp Muir that I thought I'd pass along...

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7960044

Great info, thanks! Are you planning to join us? Would love to meet you.

So, the report raised a question, that EraSeek may know the answer for: do we need a climbing permit? (as we did for St Helens) It says they are required above 10,000 feet, which Camp Muir is just above.... Here's the Rainier Climbing page which covers this and more.

Also, we need to get organized for the June 30 trip! Again, I've never been, but I'd like to camp the night before nearby, preferably with a group. Where, what time should we plan to start up, etc...... experienced participants, please help us get momentum going here! I'm worried camp spots may be taken if we wait much longer.

...do we need a climbing permit?

This question was asked at http://mountrainierclimbingregistration.blogspot.com/

Do I need a Mount Rainier Climbing Pass to go up to Camp Muir or Camp Schurman but no higher?

There is no need to purchase a Climbing Pass to travel only as far as Camp Muir or Camp Schurman. If you are going for a daytrip only, nothing additional is required. If you are staying out overnight, a Wilderness Camping Permit is required.

Or, per the NPS webpage...

"Anyone planning to hike or climb on glaciers or above Camp Muir and Camp Schurman must obtain a climbing permit."

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

...do we need a climbing permit?

This question was asked at http://mountrainierclimbingregistration.blogspot.com/

Do I need a Mount Rainier Climbing Pass to go up to Camp Muir or Camp Schurman but no higher?

There is no need to purchase a Climbing Pass to travel only as far as Camp Muir or Camp Schurman. If you are going for a daytrip only, nothing additional is required. If you are staying out overnight, a Wilderness Camping Permit is required.

Or, per the NPS webpage...

"Anyone planning to hike or climb on glaciers or above Camp Muir and Camp Schurman must obtain a climbing permit."

Thanks. I saw this, but also saw seemingly contradictory info on some other pages (not here). I were confuzed.

No, there has never been a required permit to get to Muir. Once you hit the glacier behind Muir, you are required to have a permit, rope, helmet, partners, experience, and so on. Muir and the immediate rocks around it and you are ok. Yes, it is slightly over 10,000' by a hundred feet or so.

I'd love to go over Cadaver Gap again and onto Ingraham Glacier just as a day hike and see it again, but all this extra stuff is required along with permit. Last I heard if you violate the permit requirement it is a $500 fine. Maybe more these days.

I'm not big on camping. I usually drive up the morning of. A trailhead start of 7am is probably what we want.

One of my old records I' looking at says "paradise to muir 4:22, muir to paradise 2:30" I assume that is 4hrs 22mins up. (I was younger then)

I'm not big on camping. I usually drive up the morning of. A trailhead start of 7am is probably what we want.

One of my old records I' looking at says "paradise to muir 4:22, muir to paradise 2:30" I assume that is 4hrs 22mins up. (I was younger then)

Great info. Trailhead is at Paradise?

I could skip camping and carpool, if someone else drives (too early for me to see clearly :lol:). I'm off 405 at exit 10, for those heading south that way. Could meet at the PnR at exit 9, or come and get me so I don't have to leave the car there.

If we start at 7am I'm going to want to camp nearby on the night before. Who else might be camping?

there are several of us camping at cougar rock campground. we are in sites C33,34,and 36. there were plenty of sites when i registered last week.

Good to know. Anyone have space to share in their campsite?

Edited by hydnsek

If we start at 7am I'm going to want to camp nearby on the night before. Who else might be camping?

there are several of us camping at cougar rock campground. we are in sites C33,34,and 36. there were plenty of sites when i registered last week.

I'm sure there is plenty of space in all 3. these are RV pull-through spaces that are big. they also have tent pads.

I'm sure there is plenty of space in all 3. these are RV pull-through spaces that are big. they also have tent pads.

Unless you're offering me a guaranteed spot, I'm going to call tomorrow and get another space. :lol: Then hopefully everyone who wants to camp can pile in with us at our sites. I want a confirmed place to pitch my tent. Also, wonder how many cars will fit in a space; that could be a limiting factor, too.

I've been getting some queries, so to confirm a few details about our group outing to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier for the Banana Slugs & High Places cache, and to consolidate the good info higher in this thread:

• Date: Saturday, June 30
  • Meeting spot: Trailhead at Paradise
  • Departure time: 7:00 am
  • Camping: Cougar Rock is the nearest campground. Cruiser Guy & crew have C33,34,36; Forty-n-Eight has C32.
  • Distance: 9 miles RT, elevation gain 4600 ft
  • Duration: 6-9 hours, depending on fitness and weather
  • Weather report: Daily Hourly
  • Muir Trail: Hiking details
  • Muir Trail: Map and compass bearings

Attendees

UPDATED 6/7: Here's who's expressed interest in the June 30 outing so far. Pls confirm your attendance so we know who to expect and can watch out for each other along the way.

Definite

hydnsek

Cruiser Guy (+5)

Forty-n-Eight

MarcusArelius

cache ahead

Waiting Confirmation

EraSeek

Moun10Bike

Blue Power Ranger

LandRover

AndrewRJ

Maybe

luckykoi

grossi

k7-wave

Declined

LindaLu

Og's Outfit

Bull Moose

Anyone else want to join the party?

EDIT: To update participant list.

Edited by hydnsek

I've been getting some queries, so to confirm a few details about our group outing to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier for the Banana Slugs & High Places cache, and to consolidate the good info higher in this thread:

• Camping: Cougar Rock is the nearest campground. Some people have already reserved spots there (e.g., Cruiser Guy).

Attendees

Here's who's expressed interest in the June 30 outing so far. Pls confirm your attendance so we know who to expect and can watch out for each other along the way.

hydnsek

EraSeek

Moun10Bike

MarcusArelius

Blue Power Ranger

grossi

LandRover

AndrewRJ

Forty-n-Eight

Cruiser Guy (+5)

cache ahead

luckykoi

Bull Moose

LindaLu

Og's Outfit

I still want to go but I will not know if I can until right before since I have to get my husband to watch the kids and he is job hunting and may or may not have a job by then and may or may not be working that day.

If I do go we will be camping there the night before.

Cool, I just reserved camping spot C32. See you all there!

Josh

I just reserved site 31 so I will be there camping even if I can't hike. But I hope I can hike.

and I have site C34. Cache Ahead will probably be sharing it with me.

Cruiser Guy, you said your group had C34 as one of your three sites, but it showed available for June 29, so I grabbed it.... :D

• Camping: Cougar Rock is the nearest campground. Cruiser Guy & crew have C33,34,36; Forty-n-Eight has C32.

Attendees

Here's who's expressed interest in the June 30 outing, with their Cougar Rock campsites. Pls confirm your attendance so we know who to expect and can watch out for each other along the way.

Definite

hydnsek - C34

Cruiser Guy (+5) - C33, C36

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

MarcusArelius - driving down that morning

cache ahead - with hydnsek

Waiting Confirmation

EraSeek

Moun10Bike

Blue Power Ranger

LandRover

Maybe

-Hawk- (driving down that morning)

grossi

k7-wave

Declined

LindaLu

Og's Outfit

Bull Moose

Above updated for changes in participation and campsites.

Edited by hydnsek

Count me in as a maybe as well. It is quite the challenge, and like Landrover, I am not sure I am up to it with my inexperience at hiking, but I am seriously thinking about it. I do have my daughters that weekend, but working with their mom on a plan, so I might be able to go along. If I do, I would be driving down the morning of.

I am definitly still in. I will be going down friday and have reserved C 28.

Aren't you the guy who said, after we got down from Mount St Helens last year, "I'm never doing anything that physical ever again!" :anitongue:

Its possible but that doesnt take in to consiteration 2 things.

the first is the bodies amazing ability to forget pain, the other is what I ment was that St Helens was at the limit of my ability. This shouldn't be any worse.

I am definitly still in. I will be going down friday and have reserved C 28.

Aren't you the guy who said, after we got down from Mount St Helens last year, "I'm never doing anything that physical ever again!" :anitongue:

Its possible but that doesnt take in to consiteration 2 things.

the first is the bodies amazing ability to forget pain, the other is what I ment was that St Helens was at the limit of my ability. This shouldn't be any worse.

I was hiking with ruck today, who has been up to Muir before, and he said it's a tougher climb, mainly because we are 2000 feet higher and there's a little more elevation gain, but that the snow field will be easier on the joints than the St Helens boulder field.

I often think about which is tougher. Probably about equal, but unequal in how. St Helens steeper rougher terrain, and Muir somewhat longer and higher. The altitude makes a big difference.

Yes I plan on going, but I hate to commit to anything. I'd rather just show up. It is firmly mark on my calender as a go.

Edited by EraSeek

I often think about which is tougher. Probably about equal, but unequal in how. St Helens steeper rougher terrain, and Muir somewhat longer and higher. The altitude makes a big difference.

Yes I plan on going, but I hate to commit to anything. I'd rather just show up. It is firmly mark on my calender as a go.

This is the responce I have always gotten. It was the terrain that started to do me in. The distance and lack of breath won't start tearing ligaments, just make my mussles a little slower on the recovery.

Besides I have to get this cache if I want to compleate that chalange and my obsessiveness won't let me not compleate it.

Latest attendance update below.

Confirming a few details about our group outing to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier for the Banana Slugs & High Places cache, and consolidating the good info higher in this thread:

Attendees

Current status for June 30 outing, with Cougar Rock campsites.

Definite

hydnsek - C34

Cruiser Guy (+5) - C33, C35, C36

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

EraSeek - driving down that morning

Waiting Confirmation

Moun10Bike

LandRover

Maybe

ruck - driving down that morning

-Hawk- driving down that morning

Blue Power Ranger

grossi

k7-wave

Declined

LindaLu

Og's Outfit

Bull Moose

Edited by hydnsek

What are folks doing to prepare for this hike? (no I don't mean that bridge above :D ) I know I would like to get into good shape before for I try it. On Saturday I hiked up Mount Rose 6.9 miles RT 3,500 feet elevation gain. I might go up it again this week (depending on how sore I am) then on Sunday I plan to hike up to Lake Constance 4 miles RT 3,300 feet elevation gain.

Then sometime before June 30th I plan on hiking up Mount Jupiter for 14 miles RT 3,600 feet elevation gain . Then there is always the option of going up and down Mount Walker Twice in one day for 4 miles RT with 2,000 feet elevation gain each way. But sitting at home on the computer is an option too.. :D

Edited by luckykoi

I have an unrealistic fear of heights that I try to challenge from time to time. Where is that bridge?! Being secured makes that a great sensory challenge that is probably pretty darned safe. What a rush that would be.

Yes, that bridge does look like fun! Where is that, EraSeek?

I guess for now I'll have to settle for taking a powered parachute ride with Hazard in a couple of weeks at the Snohomish fly-in. :rolleyes:

Edited by hydnsek

What are folks doing to prepare for this hike? (no I don't mean that bridge above :rolleyes: ) I know I would like to get into good shape before for I try it. On Saturday I hiked up Mount Rose 6.9 miles RT 3,500 feet elevation gain. I might go up it again this week (depending on how sore I am) then on Sunday I plan to hike up to Lake Constance 4 miles RT 3,300 feet elevation gain.

Then sometime before June 30th I plan on hiking up Mount Jupiter for 14 miles RT 3,600 feet elevation gain . Then there is always the option of going up and down Mount Walker Twice in one day for 4 miles RT with 2,000 feet elevation gain each way. But sitting at home on the computer is an option too.. :rolleyes:

Wow, you're gonna be the best prepared of all of us. Having talked to a few others, and knowing my current schedule, many of us don't have much serious training going on ahead of time. Slow and steady will be the ticket. Good thing we're starting early. :rolleyes: I'm still remembering how MarcusArelius trained for last year's St Helens climb, and then we we did it, he said the training didn't seem to have helped (much). But I'm sure it really did.

Attendance update below.

Confirming a few details about our group outing to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier for the Banana Slugs & High Places cache, and consolidating the good info higher in this thread:

Attendees

Current status for June 30 outing, with Cougar Rock campsites.

Definite

hydnsek - C34

Cruiser Guy (+5) - C33, C35, C36

Forty-n-Eight - C32

AndrewRJ - C28

luckykoi - C31

EraSeek - driving down that morning

Moun10Bike - riding with EraSeek

Maybe

ruck - driving down that morning

-Hawk- driving down that morning

LandRover

Blue Power Ranger

nolenator

grossi

k7-wave

Edited by hydnsek

Yes, that bridge does look like fun! Where is that, EraSeek?

I neglected to write it down. It is a cache. I saw a banner photo of a gal repeling on a rope. Their gallery had a lot of cool climbing photos. This was in one of the cache logs. It is in europe somewhere, they were from Vienna. Obviously a VERY cool class five cache!

I have an unrealistic fear of heights that I try to challenge from time to time. Where is that bridge?! Being secured makes that a great sensory challenge that is probably pretty darned safe. What a rush that would be.

So you want to be secure and get a rush eh? This sounds like something you might enjoy. :rolleyes:

Well I DO love roller coasters...although I'm not sure I would want to spend quite that much time on one in that way. :rolleyes:

Wow, you're gonna be the best prepared of all of us. Having talked to a few others, and knowing my current schedule, many of us don't have much serious training going on ahead of time. Slow and steady will be the ticket. Good thing we're starting early. :rolleyes: I'm still remembering how MarcusArelius trained for last year's St Helens climb, and then we we did it, he said the training didn't seem to have helped (much). But I'm sure it really did.

I don't know that I will do all of that but they sound like hikes that will help ge me in shape. Nothing is going to prepare me for the altitude though. I start getting dizzy at about 9,000 feet but I made it to 11,000 feet last summer and I was no more dizzy then I was at 9,000 feet.

Well it wasn't really training some opprotunities just happened to present themselves before the trip. I did do Rattlesnake ridge last week. That was 12+ miles and but only 2,500 gain.

I'm a fair weather hiker so this weekend I didn't do anything other than the Fremont fair. But if next weekend is good I probably will do a steep hike. I'm not sure what the snow is like at 500 @ 5000 so maybe Mt Bessemer.

I'm definitely considering coming along. I will wake up insanely early and drive down if I do come. Does anyone know the quickest way to get to Paradise from Seattle? I usually mix it up each time I go, but I've never paid attention to which way is faster. Plus I'm not sure how much damage there was to the roads over winter, knowing the status would be good.

:blink: