Geocaching reference on a non-geocaching website

Wunderground photo

Came across this picture on the Wunderground photo gallery, and noticed that the person who posted this find on Wunderground hasn't logged any finds on Geocaching.com. Tranottoc does actually have a GC profile. Thought it was interesting. I would wonder why the person didn't log it on GC.com instead.

Anyone else find a geocaching reference on an unrelated website, where the person who posted seems not to have logged their find on GC.com?

Wunderground photo

Came across this picture on the Wunderground photo gallery, and noticed that the person who posted this find on Wunderground hasn't logged any finds on Geocaching.com. Tranottoc does actually have a GC profile. Thought it was interesting. I would wonder why the person didn't log it on GC.com instead.

Anyone else find a geocaching reference on an unrelated website, where the person who posted seems not to have logged their find on GC.com?

What makes you think that they would choose Tranottoc as a geonick? Maybe they picked another name. :ph34r:

I know quite a few people who don't log their finds online. I think to some, it's as optional as the forums.

More to the topic, the reporter in the infamous "Get a life" broadcast didn't log online (the one who found it, not the anchor who chuckled the insult).

"Get a life" is an insult? Dang, I thought my wife was just encouraging me to get out more! :ph34r:

What makes you think that they would choose Tranottoc as a geonick? Maybe they picked another name. :ph34r:

It's possible, but I figured Tranottoc was reverse for Art Cotton, which I presume to be his real name. Considering that, it seemed unlikely that there would be some other Art Cotton, who would, by chance, use the same system to convert his name into Tranottoc and create a user account on GC.com and be active only for the same narrow time period in which this Wunderground photo was taken. The odds are against the Wunderground Tranottoc and the GC.com Tranottoc being different people.

I do find it fascinating when I find user names on unrelated sites that match the ones registered on GC.com, because then I start to wonder if it's the same person. Usually, I'm not convinced that it is. It's fun to try and figure out, though.

Don't know if this is what the OP was refering to, but this is what came to mind when I saw the title.

Was recently looking for some virtual caches in Yosemite National Park, when I came across information on a little known/long forgotten hiking destination called "Sierra Point." We did the awesome hike, and I came home to find out more information about this previously unknown hike. Entering "Sierra Point Yosemite" in Google, refered me to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Point,...ite,_California

Following the external link titled "Images of the point and trail" takes you directly to a log entry for the virtual cache. I thought this was really neat.

Check out the link and do the hike if able!