Waypoints/Route Waypoints..60/76 series

OK, just to eliminate speculation of possible causes, I just formatted the memory card and am starting from scratch but still getting the same problems. I have found no reference in the manual regarding this topic either. Here's what's happening: Create a bunch of waypoints, connect them into a route (non-autorouting). Simple so far. Now, I go through the route and realize I want to add something so I highlight the route and right click (Mapsource) and select 'insert route selection' and click on the position of the new waypoint. But this waypoint is different than other manually created waypoints. First, it cannot be customized in any way - including name. It does not show up in the waypoint list. It only appears in the route list on either Mapsource or the GPSr but DOES not appear on the GPSr map unless that particular route is active. WHY??!! This is also causing problems in G7toWin and Expert GPS. When I try to recieve data from the GPS, G7toWin reports and error 'route waypoint not in regular list' several times then crashes. ExpertGPS (after deleting all waypoints in the GPS) say 'no waypoints on GPS but then downloads a whole bunch of waypoints. Another problem with G7toWin: Whenever I download from the GPS (even after formatting the card and sending waypoints from Mapsource to the GPSr)it duplicates ALL the waypoints that are used in routes.

I cannot make heads or tails of what is going on - hoping someone here can.

Regards

MajBach

When you edit a route the way you have, you have created a Via Point, not a Waypoint, and this exists only as part of the route.

To resolve the issues you have with other software it looks like you'll need to use all waypoints and this is done by creating another waypoint, right click on the route and select Route Properties and here you should be able to insert the new waypoint and edit its position in the list.

MajBach

When you edit a route the way you have, you have created a Via Point, not a Waypoint, and this exists only as part of the route.

To resolve the issues you have with other software it looks like you'll need to use all waypoints and this is done by creating another waypoint, right click on the route and select Route Properties and here you should be able to insert the new waypoint and edit its position in the list.

Thanks Frabble for tht info. Wy is tis time I have heard of this? I do not recall reading it in the manual. I would like to know more on the differences between waypoints and viapoints. For example, are viapoints stored as part of a route or as a waypoint? Do they take up memory space dedicated for waypoints or for routes? In the GPSr or memory card? I have already noticed that if I select 'delete all symbols' in the waypoints menu on the GPSr, all routes containing only waypoints also get deleted but routes containing viapoints remain. I just feel this is a significant feature but I find it surprising that there is little info on it.

It's in the MapSource Help that Garmin refer to points making up a route as "Vias" and MapSource show the list for editing as Via Points. They also refer to them generally as Waypoints :ph34r:

Other mapping software I use also calls the points in a route as Waypoints and what Garmin calls Waypoints are a Mark. My Garmin unit has "Mark" next to the Enter key, pressed to create a waypoint, so I guess this term was used at some stage.

The thing is a route can include a map feature point and simple references and not just "waypoints". I guess if you want to avoid confusion they should be called Route points (as labeled in a GPX file) but then someone else may not know what you're talking about.

Waypoints and Routes/Route Points use the units internal memory :)