Day caches

I pretty much figured they'd all be west o' the missip... :ph34r: You guys make me jealous with all that evergreen wilderness out there....If I didn't love VT so much I be in Washington in a heartbeat!

Keep em coming!Maybe we'll end up with one or two close to me I can tackle at some point.

Edited by vtmtnman

Owl's Head was on my to do list but unfortunately it was removed by the USFS.

Its High, Its Far, Its Orange has been on my to do list for a long time. It can be done as a full day hike or an overniter. A few of us have talked about doing an overniter to it, but it never pans out.

Aircrash #3 is a favorite of mine. Best virtual I've ever done. The hike there and back takes up a good part of the day.

The Rocky Lounge is a full day hike or a short overniter. Here is my log from my aborted winter solo attempt.

Closer to where I live is the outstanding NY-NJ Multi State Multi Cache. Took me 3 tries to complete it.

'it's far it's orange' is on my list now!I spend almost every weekend down on Kansas rd in Sunderland fishing.That would be a great excuse for another camping trip down there!

Dover woods is also in my sights when I back as well.I thought about it and I really want to do some 'one day caches' when I get home.

Dover woods is also in my sights when I back as well.I thought about it and I really want to do some 'one day caches' when I get home.

Dover Woods is only a walk of about a mile. Actually you can probably drive right up to it if you have a high clearance vehicle.

Dover Woods is only a walk of about a mile. Actually you can probably drive right up to it if you have a high clearance vehicle.

I knew you were going to say that.I meant that as I've got that one marked as a to do when I get back.I checked out the page,looked like a good 'un for a view.I just didn't feel like editing the post :rolleyes: And yes I've got high clearance...but what fun is that? Nice quiet walk with a friend is more enjoyable.

I knew you were going to say that.I meant that as I've got that one marked as a to do when I get back.I checked out the page,looked like a good 'un for a view.I just didn't feel like editing the post :rolleyes: And yes I've got high clearance...but what fun is that? Nice quiet walk with a friend is more enjoyable.

The view comes on the drive there. Really nice just before the suggested parking.

The view comes on the drive there. Really nice just before the suggested parking.

AHHH,ok.I noticed since most of the high find cachers haven't found it that it was a bit of a hike.

anybody know of some good ones in the Eastern Sierras?

Take a look in my profile. With the exception of one I just submitted today, all of my California hides are in the Eastern Sierra. They are centered around Mammoth, but are scattered from just north of Bishop to north of Lee Vining about halfway to Bridgeport.

The one I submitted today is a doooozy though. A west side approach over Kaiser pass to Edison Lake. It has been nearly 3 years in the making and I finally got all the details straight to submit it today. :o

Here are a few pictures posted by visitors to my Eastern Sierra Caches:

81246ee8-c61c-49b7-876f-76088249a262.jpg

46d4d27d-2c08-4ca7-a74f-fba624cdc46f.jpg

ff0f97af-2e16-4624-a99e-1e546e6bb751.jpg

9e2a776d-3dfe-4125-9adb-aebc12548248.jpg

af2c120f-ee1d-4804-8a1e-ba7f3d37964b.jpg

9411623e-cbe8-438f-b66b-8bf864974019.jpg

3918340a-d43b-406a-ad03-d679947d7241.jpg

4ef15c16-6880-48ea-99c3-8b26aa1040e5.jpg

Edited by Snoogans
anybody know of some good ones in the Eastern Sierras?

Take a look in my profile. With the exception of one I just submitted today, all of my California hides are in the Eastern Sierra. They are centered around Mammoth, but are scattered from just north of Bishop to north of Lee Vining about halfway to Bridgeport.

The one I submitted today is a doooozy though. A west side approach over Kaiser pass to Edison Lake. It has been nearly 3 years in the making and I finally got all the details straight to submit it today. :)

edited for shorterness :o

:o ..MAN I need to get back out west...

:P ..MAN I need to get back out west...

... move ... out west?!

michelle

...crossed fingers todays rain goes away b4 the weekend!

Meaning spend some time out there again.When I was stationed in CA,I had the fortunate luck to get up to Spokane with a buddy who was from there.Drove up I-5 and through the Cascades.Saw my first elk too.Man I sooo want to get back there. :lol::lol::(:D:lol:

I'm surprised I came back. :lol:

Its quite strange reading this thread in the UK.

There are very few remote places in the UK and i know of only one place where it takes two days of walking to get there no matter where you start walking from (scotland hill)

We do have many long distance paths but on all of these you will be walking through villages or along roads with cars at some point.

The idea of a long hike for a few days with none of the above sounds great to me.

Its quite strange reading this thread in the UK.

There are very few remote places in the UK and i know of only one place where it takes two days of walking to get there no matter where you start walking from (scotland hill)

We do have many long distance paths but on all of these you will be walking through villages or along roads with cars at some point.

The idea of a long hike for a few days with none of the above sounds great to me.

Plan a caching trip to the US...we'd welcome ya!Plenty of nice day caches in the Appalachian range.The more difficult ones are deep in the western mountains(Cascades,Sierras,Rockies).

Beautiful pics Snoogans! These are the areas I love to hit. I need to make it down your

way sometime but in the meantime, we have lots of hiking opportunities up here too.

The Oyster Dome is anywhere from a half day to a full day hike depending on the caches

you want to find. This is SquareBear prepping coffee for us after reaching the top. We

discovered how messy a french press can be.

2f10253c-4f56-40a9-8577-40a0e199f8a5.jpg

Luckykoi at a bridge on a trail to Lena Lake. Another great 1/2 day hike

cdfc102b-9990-4604-bb26-4c0209d2ce04.jpg

Butcher42 and I at Cascade Falls on Orcas Island. This was at the start of a trail you can take

2-3 days to hike the loop or drive the mountain and hit every cache on the way. We're planning

a weekend hike sometime soon.

0c6c7df8-31f6-4488-949f-7f07a124dd84.jpg

One of my all time favorite shots is one Criminal took and it is me coming over the crest of

the hill on Mt Baker snowshoeing in snow that was over 13 feet deep.

df9e420f-b0a2-4be5-9689-2f5eca7f73c2.jpg

That's just this year of some of the places we've been. This year is a focus on the PNW trail

so I expect to see some more great mountain shots.

Edited by TotemLake

One of my all time favorite shots is one Criminal took and it is me coming over the crest of

the hill on Mt Baker snowshoeing in snow that was over 13 feet deep.

df9e420f-b0a2-4be5-9689-2f5eca7f73c2.jpg

That's just this year of some of the places we've been. This year is a focus on the PNW trail

so I expect to see some more great mountain shots.

Hey, that's the look of triumph!

While digging through my old photo files I found a bunch I didn't think I still had. They're not related to geocaching so much though.

;) ..MAN I need to get back out west...

LOL...I know how you feel...I wish caching had been around when I was stationed in Cali, and overseas... ;)

I've been wanting to move to AZ/NM/NV/UT or maybe Colorado for the past 15yrs, but I'm stuck in NY...Although I like NY most of the year, I just HATE the winters now... ;)

;) ..MAN I need to get back out west...

LOL...I know how you feel...I wish caching had been around when I was stationed in Cali, and overseas... ;)

I've been wanting to move to AZ/NM/NV/UT or maybe Colorado for the past 15yrs, but I'm stuck in NY...Although I like NY most of the year, I just HATE the winters now... ;)

Same here...although it was around,AND I had a GPSr.But I never knew. :) Would've saved me a ton of money!

Boy! is this a subject near and dear to my heart :D I love the new addition to the Forums, but I'm straying off topic :rolleyes:

Here's just a sampling of a few of the memorable ones....

I'm not a huge fan of Virtuals, but this one certainly has enough Adventure and "WOW!" Factor to make up for it:

Semidome Loft, Yeah!

Here's looking up the last 500 feet of the ascent:

8200ea32-03c5-48d7-bf19-9c8960aa0e54.jpg

This one was a kind of a moderate day hike to the sixth highest waterfall in the U.S. :

La Casa De Plumas

1487fe35-c10a-45cf-8cab-558451e7bc72.jpg

And up in Northern California, this is a standout with a pretty commanding view of a nearby familiar feature (i.e. Mount Shasta):

5 Stars

842882a0-0750-4d26-921f-2d55fdcbafa4.jpg

I guess the common thread in most of the caches I'm doing nowadays is the sense of adventure I find on the trail.

There are scores of great caches in my closer to home caches that require 2-3 miles to get to, but I'll save those for another post :D

Edited by Touchstone

Great topic. It is these types of Geocaches that keep me in the game. I am rather proud of my relatively low number of finds because many of them took me a better part of the day to hike to.

And I thought I had low numbers! It took me a little bit to try a little of everything about geocaching before settling down on the hikes.

A couple weeks back we were hiking from tropical to snow with beautiful shots in between.

Below I took a shot of an odd tree and I can only describe it as an Ent of the forest (as in LOTR):

71316c47-58ee-46c9-869f-9767287a233a.jpg

With waterfalls galore to be seen along the way:

e5c94066-5ddd-4f73-a9b8-33999f584b01.jpg

Found one last week superb day out.

The Breiddens followed by White admiral

Quite getting into this selective caching lark its so much more fun than doing loads in a day.

We may run out of them soon though :blink:

markandlynn,you guys always post a TON of pics on those cache pages!I love looking through them.Those hiking caches are real nice...looks like southern New England without the trees(Imagine that,since they were connected billions of years ago!).

Great topic. It is these types of Geocaches that keep me in the game. I am rather proud of my relatively low number of finds because many of them took me a better part of the day to hike to.

Since we are sharing favorites here is one of mine: (GCA942) Forget Me Not - WWII Crash Site

And I was gonna do that one last year, unfortunately, I was busy the day a couple friends did it, and never got a chance to head up there.

Found one last week superb day out.

The Breiddens followed by White admiral

Quite getting into this selective caching lark its so much more fun than doing loads in a day.

We may run out of them soon though :ph34r:

markandlynn,you guys always post a TON of pics on those cache pages!I love looking through them.Those hiking caches are real nice...looks like southern New England without the trees(Imagine that,since they were connected billions of years ago!).

Thank you B)

We only do loads on the good ones, we keep a book with all our cache logs and photos as it's like reading a journal of what and where we have been over the last four years.

Really usefull when visitors say what have you been doing lately B) or just for nostalgia.

Since we are sharing favorites here is one of mine: (GCA942) Forget Me Not - WWII Crash Site

Military Aircraft Crash sites, and their stories fascinate me. My 100th placed geocache Operation Wreckhunter leads cachers to four unique aircraft crash sites. I doubt many if any cachers could do this cache in one day though. :lol:

Edited by Kit Fox

Don't know how to post cache links or pictures in the forums.

While participating last year in "Counting Counties in Oregon" GCR9XY I went on several "day hikes"

Three of the best with great views are: GCNN1C "STAG"gering by logscaler & Red (same logscaler quoted by VTMTNMAN)

2. GCPCTX Just Clowning Around (along the south side of the Rogue River about 4 miles downstream from where James Kim died) It took me 13 hours to get from my truck to the cache and return.

3. GCPMC0 Five Bar (Owyhee River canyon in the most remote corner of Oregon)

I thank logscaler and Red for starting the Counting Counties contest. Not many of us completed caches in all 36 counties of Oregon, but the participants all enjoyed many dayhikes.

Tom Fuller

Crescent, OR

You don't have to go west of the Mississippi for some great adventure caches...come to Florida (in the winter) and hunt for:

Ghost Orchid

or Red Scorpion

or Where the Green Fern Grows one of the few caches in Florida where you need a staff to deal with the steepness of the terrain

or

Big Pine Island Roundabout

or Multiple Gators

by the way, anybody coming to the Tampa area i could get set up to do Multiple Gators in a heartbeat... kayaks r us.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

We did a good one over this weekend. The Rocky Lounge in the Catskills. It's been on my to do list for years. Outstanding view from the cache site and along the way (see my log). The shortest route (from the north) is a bit over a 4 mile round trip. From the south it's about 6 miles RT. We came from the west and made an overniter out of it. About 7 miles total, but the climb over Indian Head Mtn is not an easy one with or without packs on.

See Video

We did a good one over this weekend. The Rocky Lounge in the Catskills. It's been on my to do list for years. Outstanding view from the cache site and along the way (see my log). The shortest route (from the north) is a bit over a 4 mile round trip. From the south it's about 6 miles RT. We came from the west and made an overniter out of it. About 7 miles total, but the climb over Indian Head Mtn is not an easy one with or without packs on.

See Video

Loved the video!

All of those rocks! How was the trip down?

michelle

I'll be fair and choose two caches from the west and two from the east.

In Washington, aiming your GPS towards Melakwa's Heaven gives you a good long day hike with three caches to find, and this view to reward you at the end of a 6(?) mile uphill hike:

dd47ebfa-3b56-41a6-89c5-5b4148e5d672.jpg

In Utah, Warthog Down provides a long bushwack up a desert canyon to an aircraft crash site. Here is a view of the "trail" as seen from the crash site:

11b9dca9-506f-4e0e-9583-2bb6419442e3.jpg

In Maryland, The Upper Yough Trek provides a long hike along a scenic river, ending in a killer bushwack through mountain laurel to the cache area. Mile after mile of views like this:

2f9bbe28-823e-4f9c-99ae-fd41d8de15d8.jpg

In Pennsylvania, Uh Oh Reviewer, I MissPlaced my Cache takes the day hiker up the Appalachian Trail into St. Anthony's Wilderness, one of the most remote areas in the State. We got caught up there in the dark and worked our way back down the mountain with one penlight and a PDA backlight to guide our group! Here's the view from up top during the daytime:

2be22b56-d90c-47c3-aede-39c2296b2018.jpg

See Video

Loved the video!

michelle

Yeeesh. That trail is hairy. There are a few spots where it is on the edge, and I mean on the edge of a cliff. One stumble and you're over. The first 1/4 mile of the way down there are some nasty drops that are hard even without a pack. I've seen people lower their packs with ropes on them. We should have, at least for my wife. The last few miles of the descent though are pretty mild. It's the way up with 1,800 ft elevation gain over 1.8 miles that is steep and a good portion of that gain is over the last 1/4 mile.

See Video

Loved the video!

michelle

Yeeesh. That trail is hairy. There are a few spots where it is on the edge, and I mean on the edge of a cliff. One stumble and you're over. The first 1/4 mile of the way down there are some nasty drops that are hard even without a pack. I've seen people lower their packs with ropes on them. We should have, at least for my wife. The last few miles of the descent though are pretty mild. It's the way up with 1,800 ft elevation gain over 1.8 miles that is steep and a good portion of that gain is over the last 1/4 mile.

Yah I was thinking rope would be a really good item to have when I watched that video. Big cajones for keeping those packs on.

See Video

Yikes that is hairy.I can see why there was only a glimpse of it in there.I wouldn't want to try to fumble around with a camera on that!

I loved the mountain top views.Those big cotton candy clouds just hangin' there.Real purdy.Another great Briansnat video.Thanks.

Luckykoi at a bridge on a trail to Lena Lake. Another great 1/2 day hike

cdfc102b-9990-4604-bb26-4c0209d2ce04.jpg

That reminds me I still need to go get the coords for that cache I left up the valley. :laughing: I'm gonna name it The Valley of Stone Cold Chocolate. I packed a thermos of hot chocolate up there but when I went to drink it the chocolate was cold. I did not want to carry that useless thermos back so I got the bright idea to turn it into a geocache. I already had swag with me so why not?

Edited by luckykoi