Washington's Highest Caches

Moun10Bike

Dang, GeoRoo's on fire! Not only is he one of the top contenders, but he's getting there by placing caches. He's got 10 hides on the Highest list, 6 of them new. You go, guy! :huh:

I tend to keep an eye on the bottom of the Bookmark list to see which Find of mine will get dropped off due to new higher caches. So far I have lost about 18,000 feet since the challenge began. Presently my lowest find from the highest list is #93, Trail to Cougar Valley. Hopefully I can finish before more are bumped, as I have 8 finds in the bottom 20.

Dang, GeoRoo's on fire! Not only is he one of the top contenders, but he's getting there by placing caches. He's got 10 hides on the Highest list, 6 of them new. You go, guy! :blink:

I tend to keep an eye on the bottom of the Bookmark list to see which Find of mine will get dropped off due to new higher caches. So far I have lost about 18,000 feet since the challenge began. Presently my lowest find from the highest list is #93, Trail to Cougar Valley. Hopefully I can finish before more are bumped, as I have 8 finds in the bottom 20.

I know how you feel. I've had at least 5 finds bumped off. Now my goal is to find nothing lower than #80, although at the rate new ones are being placed, even that may not be enough.

The latest update has resulted in the following three caches being added to the list:

#39 - "Mission Peak Trail" by The Navigatorz (GC16ABG) - 6544.4 feet

#42 - "Esmeralda View" by lamprizzle (GC16094) - 6460.3 feet

#50 - "On Tudle's Pond" by Patudles (GC16A9M) - 6355.8 feet

The following caches have as a result dropped out of the top 100:

GCG67D Sunset Blues by Misfire & Mrs. HHooligan

GC140D7 Blue Mountain Skyline #3 by Bluesman63

GCGZXC Tin Pan Gap Cache by run4cache

The list has been updated and I've added the following 2 caches:

#09 - "South Navarre Peak- final assault" by Mr. Gadget #2 (GC16NB3) - 7738.6 feet

#60 - "Nelson Butte Lookout" by Mr. Gadget #2 (GC16NB9) - 6253.6 feet

The following caches have as a result dropped out of the top 100:

GCMWT4 Goats R Us by ruck

GC15MRN King Lake Geocache by astanford

Also, since the lowest elevation among the top 100 caches is now 5952 feet, the archived "Tronson Ridge" cache by Rentakid (GCGF03) at 5930 feet no longer counts toward the challenge.

Edited by Moun10Bike

The list sure has changed since inception, I've lost a smidge over 50,000 ft so far, can hardly wait to see what spring brings.

Man, the radar on this cache reaches really low!

Since its inception in mid-July, there have been 21 new hides, meaning 21 caches have been bumped off the list. As a result I lost about 18,000 feet. Looking ahead, if there are another 20 new hides next spring/summer, I will lose over 60,000 feet. That would be a real oucher.

The list sure has changed since inception, I've lost a smidge over 50,000 ft so far, can hardly wait to see what spring brings.

Man, the radar on this cache reaches really low!

Since its inception in mid-July, there have been 21 new hides, meaning 21 caches have been bumped off the list. As a result I lost about 18,000 feet. Looking ahead, if there are another 20 new hides next spring/summer, I will lose over 60,000 feet. That would be a real oucher.

Yep, another 20 will cost me 54,000, and I figure your one of at least four cachers I'll be cursing when it happens.

I can't wait until the snow disappears out of the high country so I can get to those higher elevation caches. I ran across this website below from the USDA called Snowtel. It provides clickable maps and tables of all the snow gauging stations, complete with their coordinates and elevations, as well as temperature information. Perhaps a useful reference to check when planning a high elevation adventure.

SNOWTEL

I can't wait until the snow disappears out of the high country so I can get to those higher elevation caches. I ran across this website below from the USDA called Snowtel. It provides clickable maps and tables of all the snow gauging stations, complete with their coordinates and elevations, as well as temperature information. Perhaps a useful reference to check when planning a high elevation adventure.

SNOWTEL

Wow, this is very useful, thanks for sharing! :D Although I'm not sure what a snow depth of -99.9 at Alpine Meadows means (I think it means something needs fixin'). :D

*-99.9 indicates invalid data received

A couple of our higher elevation remote weather stations in the Blue Mountains stopped transmitting this winter. I suspect snow depth was a contributor. They sit on a "lunar lander" platform and could easily be buried with enough of the white stuff. This shouldn't be the problem with the snotels, however! :ph34r:

Edited by WR7X