Earthcaches in Newfoundland and the rest of Canada

Landsharkz

It looks like one or both of us will be in NL in a few weeks (meeting dates still being confirmed) and we are hoping to log an Earthcache or two in our pursuit of Silver Earthcache Master :o . Wouldn't you know it... there are NO Earthcaches in the Earthcache database registered in NL.

http://rock.geosociety.org/earthcache/earthcache.aspx

We would have thought there would have been all sorts of cool geological features in NL, but maybe the cachers there have hid ammo cans beside them and the 161m rule would kick in?! :o .

So we got to talking about if there are any other provinces without Earthcaches registered... you see where this is going? :o What about a Great White North Earthcache Tour with a final on 'The rock' or ??

We'd be more than happy to 'hide' an Earthcache in Victoria (we've got a few in the works already), but perhaps this doesn't have to be capital cities... I know that South Surrey Scavengers have done a fabulous job of creating them on the mainland, but there's only one here on the Island... so far. We've got a few more in the works and hope to get them approved by the summer.

I am also a fan of earthcaches. Where in NL are you going? If you're going to Labrador, there is this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...07-41a273785859

There used to be an earthcache near St John's to bring attention to some of the oldest life on earth preserved in the rock record called ediacara. I'm not sure what happened to it, but I suspect it was lost in the changeover from Waymarking to geocaching, perhaps because it is a protected (UNESCO?) site and they couldn't get permission to make it an earthcache. Too bad, because supposedly it is a facinating site and worth the visit.

Shearzone, we're going to Saint John's and we won't have a car.

hurleyanne... thank you for the bookmark list! There are two NL earthcaches in there that I couldn't find in the Earthcache database. They are both in Labrador though so we won't be able to get to them though :drama: .

We started researching geological features here in Victoria and in addition to learning a lot, it's incredible how many there were that were significantly notable. A UVic geology prof is building lesson plans around them and taking students on geology walking tours of our city. One of them made his pdf presentation available so that has come in very hand in our research. From Esquimalt Lagoon to Clover Point waterfront... there's geo-facts that make you go 'wow!' :sad: .

{snip}

We would have thought there would have been all sorts of cool geological features in NL, but maybe the cachers there have hid ammo cans beside them and the 161m rule would kick in?! :ph34r: .

{/snip}

When it comes to EarthCaches it doesn't seem that the standard guidelines apply. There are ones that are under 161 meters from Geocaches or even other EarthCaches. The person that posts an EarthCache doesn't seem to have to live relatively close by either as we have some EarthCaches in Ontario where the person that created it lives well beyond 200 miles away.

As most people know, EarthCaches are not reviewed by Cache-Tech or any of the other Volunteer Geocache Reviewers but are reviewed by (I think) the Geological Society of America.

I'm not criticizing the process, but it is not published anywhere that I've seen and doesn't seem to follow the same guidelines as other items listed on Geocaching.com. So for accurate information you should contact the people at EarthCache.Org

As for lists of EarthCaches... Dragonsflys Bookmark list is great! I used to track the ones in Ontario and have since stopped and deleted mine in favour of theirs as they are way faster at updating theirs.

:) The Blue Quasar

GC12YV3 Is now activated

OMG! This is fossils! :anitongue:GC12YV3

We own one called 20 Million Year Old Earthcache here on Vancouver Island! Fossil bed Earthcaches on each coast. How :laughing: is that?!

Does someone way across this vast country over yonder in NL want to go experience this Earthcache on June 1 or thereabouts with Mr. Landsharkz :laughing: ? I'm pretty sure he's NOT renting a car for his time in St. John's.

{snip}

We would have thought there would have been all sorts of cool geological features in NL, but maybe the cachers there have hid ammo cans beside them and the 161m rule would kick in?! :anitongue: .

{/snip}

When it comes to EarthCaches it doesn't seem that the standard guidelines apply. There are ones that are under 161 meters from Geocaches or even other EarthCaches. The person that posts an EarthCache doesn't seem to have to live relatively close by either as we have some EarthCaches in Ontario where the person that created it lives well beyond 200 miles away.

As most people know, EarthCaches are not reviewed by Cache-Tech or any of the other Volunteer Geocache Reviewers but are reviewed by (I think) the Geological Society of America.

I'm not criticizing the process, but it is not published anywhere that I've seen and doesn't seem to follow the same guidelines as other items listed on Geocaching.com. So for accurate information you should contact the people at EarthCache.Org

As for lists of EarthCaches... Dragonsflys Bookmark list is great! I used to track the ones in Ontario and have since stopped and deleted mine in favour of theirs as they are way faster at updating theirs.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

I don't think the distance rule applies, GCVXHY and GC10961 are basically at the same co-ordinates for the listings as an example.

Greywynd