GOT MUGGED!

In my humble opinion, we don't need tougher, unenforcable laws against guns or crime, we need tougher judges and police to enforce the existing laws and dole out the proper punishment!

A slap on the wrist and back on the street doesn't deter crime.

It seems like the criminals have more rights than the law abiding citizens.

Hear Hear!

The problem is that most jurisdictions are going in the opposite direction- letting criminala out even after they are duly convicted. They usually blame overcrowding. The ACLU types are never far away encouraging flushing the trash back out on the streets.

Part of the problem in over crowding of jails and prisons is the fact that we have so many laws for so many silly things.

Silly laws or those that have had unintended results could fill a whole forum.

An example that has been discussed a lot on XM lately is the disproportionate sentencing for crack cocaine. Allegedly crack users get way higher sentences and more mandatory time than users of other (harder) drugs.

The current mindset of "zero tolerance" and mandatory minimum sentences also ties the hands of judges, who now have to put people in jail even if it means kicking someone else loose who perhaps deals in muggings and such.

More rights? Yep. Anyone who doesn't care about the rights of others is free to do as heshe pleases. Rights work both ways or they are really non-existent. I reckon the criminals will always pretty much do as they please.

The only way to stop a person from doing something anti-social, if the person chooses to be anti-social, is by physical force and restriction.

The only way to stop a person from doing something anti-social, if the person chooses to be anti-social, is by physical force and restriction.

Very true, but that only works after the first offense, as our judicial system frowns on prior restraint. By then, of course, it is too late for the first victim. Such is the price of living in a nominally free society.

I wonder how many people really are victims of crime while geocaching. We got mugged in the Bahamas a couple years ago while walking back to town after finding a cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...d6-9c49c97bf249

I didnt think too much about it afterwards and didnt think one bit about giving up geocaching. It happened on a Tuesday morning, on the side of a 4 lane highway right in front of a Catholic Church. It's not like we were off in some secluded area (like we were on the way to the cache :D ) It could of happened anywhere.... I work in the downtown area of the largest city in the state and it oculd just as easily been out in front of the building during lunch break or something...

Very true, but that only works after the first offense, as our judicial system frowns on prior restraint. By then, of course, it is too late for the first victim. Such is the price of living in a nominally free society.

If only we worked harder on having no more offences.

Quite true. Of course the victim does not know (or most likely CARE) if it is a first or subsequent offence.

Society can do nothing to protect the victim from the first time offender. But they COULD put is BIG crimp in hisher ability to do it again, if only they WOULD.

That still leaves the bulk of the protective responsibility right square on the "victim's" shoulders. (Victim is in quotes because if the "victim" is successful in hisher defence, heshe won't BE a "victim.") ;)

That still leaves the bulk of the protective responsibility right square on the "victim's" shoulders. (Victim is in quotes because if the "victim" is successful in hisher defence, heshe won't BE a "victim.") ;)

And that's it in a nutshell; personal protection cannot be delegated. Modern citizens have been brainwashed into thinking that government, via police and military, are the only valid protectors. While that may be true of society as a whole, it isn't true for the individual. Each person is responsible, both morally and legally, for his or her own protection. The legal question has been affirmed in the U.S. courts time after time; the government cannot be held responsible for not protecting an individual.

That still leaves the bulk of the protective responsibility right square on the "victim's" shoulders. (Victim is in quotes because if the "victim" is successful in hisher defence, heshe won't BE a "victim.") :(

And that's it in a nutshell; personal protection cannot be delegated. Modern citizens have been brainwashed into thinking that government, via police and military, are the only valid protectors. While that may be true of society as a whole, it isn't true for the individual. Each person is responsible, both morally and legally, for his or her own protection. The legal question has been affirmed in the U.S. courts time after time; the government cannot be held responsible for not protecting an individual.

BRAVO!!!! Couldn't have said it better!!!!

Sorry to hear that you got mugged and lost your GPS. This story is particularly scary for me since I was faced with a potentially dangerous situation this past weekend in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Here's a copy of what I posted in our local MBGA forums:

I was out this afternoon scouting locations to place a new cache and decided to check out the little park off River Avenue that I've passed by many times. I think it's called Fort Rouge Park. Seems like a nice little park with play structures for kids, and picnic tables and benches scattered about.

First of all, I walked down to the river level to look for potential hiding spots in that area. This is almost a 3 tier park. There's the upper level with the play structures, then a middle level that is just a grass field, then the river level. There were a couple groups partying down on the middle level (remember this is the middle of the afternoon), so I decided that perhaps it would be better to stick to the upper level. I figured if I placed a cache here and warned people that it was not recommended for night caching, then it should be ok.

So here I am wandering around the upper level of this park and checking out some of the lilacs and other bushes for potential hiding spots, when I hear what sounds like a dropped case of beer nearby. I stand still hoping that who ever that was doesn't see me. Well, next thing I know, there are two native guys getting ready to sit at the picnic table right beside where I am standing.

The one guy asks me what I'm doing there in the bush. I replied "oh, just looking around". Then he asks if that's a radio in my hand. I'm thinking it's probably best to let him think that, than to tell him it's a $500 GPS unit, so I said "ya". Well, then he starts asking if I am some sort of security, or if I'm a cop, or what exactly I think I am doing hiding out in these bushes. I laugh it off and tell them not to worry, I'm just enjoying the lilacs in bloom.

So then they ask if I mind if they sit there and drink their beers. Sure, no problem - it's a free country (although I imagine that open liquor in the park is not legal). So they sit down and pop open their cans of Lucky beer. I tell them to have a nice day and try to go on my merry way. Well, not so fast - now they want to chat. They suggest that I sit with them at the picnic table because I'm making them nervous walking around (looking for my quickest exit). So I agree and sit down to chat with these guys.

The one guy introduces himself as Russell, but the other doesn't offer up his name. Russell mentions that freedom is the best thing in the world then tells me that he just got out after serving 6 years in the joint. That's apparently where he met his nameless buddy.

He asks me if I can imagine what it's like to be locked up for 6 years. I tell him I really can't. So he explains to me what it's like, and what you need to do to survive in there. He asks me if I've heard of the Manitoba Warriors. I told him I hadn't. He looked at me in disbelief and said "You've never heard of the f'n Warriors???" His buddy asks me if I just crawled out from under a rock in that bush (ha ha - sense of humour I see). So then I got a lesson on some of the gang activity in the city.

Apparently the one that didn't offer up his name is a captain of the Warriors with his own crew and everything. He showed me the tattoo on his back to prove it. Russell is just an associate (I think that was the term he used), but being friends with a Captain (even though he's not on his crew) means that people pretty much leave him alone. As far as I can gather, these two guys met in the joint and are now friends for life. There was certainly a lot of "I love you man" comments being exchanged between the two of them.

They asked me if I'd ever smoked crack, and I told them no. So then they asked me if I wanted to as he's reaching into his bag of tricks. I told him no thanks. He said "it makes your head f'n ring", so I asked "and that's a good thing??" Note: this is the 2nd time in a week that I've been offered drugs while geocaching.

Oh, and I also got to hear about their fun and exciting Friday night down on Main Street. They ran into some guy that owed the Captain money. It's all about the money you know, so he had to show him he meant business. The Captain grabbed the guy and apparently stabbed him 4 times in the back until Russell stepped in and told him to back off. Then he told the other guy to take off before he gets himself killed. Gee, what did I do Friday night? Sat around my apartment drinking margaritas with a couple of friends.

Well, my new friends finished their beers and had to go make a phone call. They told me that they respected me for sitting there and chatting with them. Especially being a white female and being alone - they were surprised I didn't run away in fear. Russell picked one of the lilac blooms off the bush nearby and handed it to me saying it was a gift from them.

Man, do I ever lead a sheltered life. Needless to say, I chose not to place a cache in this park

Sorry to hear that you got mugged and lost your GPS. This story is particularly scary for me since I was faced with a potentially dangerous situation this past weekend in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Here's a copy of what I posted in our local MBGA forums:

I was out this afternoon scouting locations to place a new cache and decided to check out the little park off River Avenue that I've passed by many times. I think it's called Fort Rouge Park. Seems like a nice little park with play structures for kids, and picnic tables and benches scattered about.

First of all, I walked down to the river level to look for potential hiding spots in that area. This is almost a 3 tier park. There's the upper level with the play structures, then a middle level that is just a grass field, then the river level. There were a couple groups partying down on the middle level (remember this is the middle of the afternoon), so I decided that perhaps it would be better to stick to the upper level. I figured if I placed a cache here and warned people that it was not recommended for night caching, then it should be ok.

So here I am wandering around the upper level of this park and checking out some of the lilacs and other bushes for potential hiding spots, when I hear what sounds like a dropped case of beer nearby. I stand still hoping that who ever that was doesn't see me. Well, next thing I know, there are two native guys getting ready to sit at the picnic table right beside where I am standing.

The one guy asks me what I'm doing there in the bush. I replied "oh, just looking around". Then he asks if that's a radio in my hand. I'm thinking it's probably best to let him think that, than to tell him it's a $500 GPS unit, so I said "ya". Well, then he starts asking if I am some sort of security, or if I'm a cop, or what exactly I think I am doing hiding out in these bushes. I laugh it off and tell them not to worry, I'm just enjoying the lilacs in bloom.

So then they ask if I mind if they sit there and drink their beers. Sure, no problem - it's a free country (although I imagine that open liquor in the park is not legal). So they sit down and pop open their cans of Lucky beer. I tell them to have a nice day and try to go on my merry way. Well, not so fast - now they want to chat. They suggest that I sit with them at the picnic table because I'm making them nervous walking around (looking for my quickest exit). So I agree and sit down to chat with these guys.

The one guy introduces himself as Russell, but the other doesn't offer up his name. Russell mentions that freedom is the best thing in the world then tells me that he just got out after serving 6 years in the joint. That's apparently where he met his nameless buddy.

He asks me if I can imagine what it's like to be locked up for 6 years. I tell him I really can't. So he explains to me what it's like, and what you need to do to survive in there. He asks me if I've heard of the Manitoba Warriors. I told him I hadn't. He looked at me in disbelief and said "You've never heard of the f'n Warriors???" His buddy asks me if I just crawled out from under a rock in that bush (ha ha - sense of humour I see). So then I got a lesson on some of the gang activity in the city.

Apparently the one that didn't offer up his name is a captain of the Warriors with his own crew and everything. He showed me the tattoo on his back to prove it. Russell is just an associate (I think that was the term he used), but being friends with a Captain (even though he's not on his crew) means that people pretty much leave him alone. As far as I can gather, these two guys met in the joint and are now friends for life. There was certainly a lot of "I love you man" comments being exchanged between the two of them.

They asked me if I'd ever smoked crack, and I told them no. So then they asked me if I wanted to as he's reaching into his bag of tricks. I told him no thanks. He said "it makes your head f'n ring", so I asked "and that's a good thing??" Note: this is the 2nd time in a week that I've been offered drugs while geocaching.

Oh, and I also got to hear about their fun and exciting Friday night down on Main Street. They ran into some guy that owed the Captain money. It's all about the money you know, so he had to show him he meant business. The Captain grabbed the guy and apparently stabbed him 4 times in the back until Russell stepped in and told him to back off. Then he told the other guy to take off before he gets himself killed. Gee, what did I do Friday night? Sat around my apartment drinking margaritas with a couple of friends.

Well, my new friends finished their beers and had to go make a phone call. They told me that they respected me for sitting there and chatting with them. Especially being a white female and being alone - they were surprised I didn't run away in fear. Russell picked one of the lilac blooms off the bush nearby and handed it to me saying it was a gift from them.

Man, do I ever lead a sheltered life. Needless to say, I chose not to place a cache in this park

:(

:anicute:

Looks like we'll have to erect a fence along the northern border too!!!!!! :unsure::(:anibad:

Edited by eagletrek

Hi all,

Apologies for being absent for a while, I'm just not really interested in the debates that were going on, and being accused of not being 'situationally aware', twice, was grating a little.

Here's a final post to thank everyone once again for the kind words, generosity, and support. It really means a lot. The ankle is still splinted, but doing much better, and slogging up and down hills in Wales and Manchester for a week doesn't seem to have done any lasting damage ;) Urban caching is fun, but wow, no comparison. Off to Maine in a few weeks to hopefully track down a few more ammo cans and tupperware.

The recovered 60csx performed admirably, I'm really glad to have had it returned.

Take care everyone, see you on the trails.

-G

Hi all,

Apologies for being absent for a while, I'm just not really interested in the debates that were going on, and being accused of not being 'situationally aware', twice, was grating a little.

Here's a final post to thank everyone once again for the kind words, generosity, and support. It really means a lot. The ankle is still splinted, but doing much better, and slogging up and down hills in Wales and Manchester for a week doesn't seem to have done any lasting damage ;) Urban caching is fun, but wow, no comparison. Off to Maine in a few weeks to hopefully track down a few more ammo cans and tupperware.

The recovered 60csx performed admirably, I'm really glad to have had it returned.

-G

Welcome back bud.Glad to hear ya had a good time over there.

The debates got really out of hand. I'm glad to hear that your ankle is doing better! Don't overwork it! I've prolonged many an injury by refusing to rest...That great news that your GPS was returned to you also!!

Where in Maine are you headed? I spent the long weekend in Acadia, it's gorgeous up there!! There are a whole bunch of fantastic earth caches!

The debates got really out of hand. I'm glad to hear that your ankle is doing better! Don't overwork it! I've prolonged many an injury by refusing to rest...That great news that your GPS was returned to you also!!

Where in Maine are you headed? I spent the long weekend in Acadia, it's gorgeous up there!! There are a whole bunch of fantastic earth caches!

Thanks Mick,

That's exactly where I'm headed! It's a beautiful house in a field on Seal Cove Pond. We've been going to the same house for maybe 10 years, but I haven't been for a few years. My Ma and Pa are coming in from the UK too, should be another great trip.

I did a pocket query for up there and noticed the abundance of earth caches. Looking forward to trying one or more.

Cheers,

-G

Sorry to hear about your situation and hope you're doing perfectly well now. I always cache with a friend or 2. 99% of the time one of those friends is a Smith & Wesson, 38 snubnose. I understand most people would be against this but, to me when caching either urban or rural there's too many wacko's out there. Again this is just my opinion and how I choose to do things. If you are going to arm yourself be sure you know your local laws, and also be aware of caching trips where you may end up "out of your state" as most permits are only honored in the state issued. Also, if you choose to go this route, be sure you take some time to learn about what you're doing. There are a lot of good courses available to assist. Good luck and hope you cache happily ever after ! ;)

Yet they keep wanting to take away our means to protect ourselves. NYC is a perfect example. The citizens are prey because only the criminals have weapons. I am so glad I live in AZ. Criminals think twice about mugging people when they know they may be carrying a concealed weapon. I personally carry a collapsible baton and a concealed 9mm for when there is no other choice. If you carry, just be sure you know the rules on deadly force for where you are. Never hurts to carry an "extra knife" just in case there is a question.

i was shocked, when i read about the incident that happend to you. I couldn´t imagine that geocaching could be so dangerous in urban areas. I hope you that you are in good condition now!

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany where the only enemies (while geocaching) are ticks in the woods.

Best wishes!

Jakob

Hi all,

-G

While the discussions about "situational awareness" may have been a "little grating," maybe, just maybe, they may have taught you something that may save your hide next time. We, who don't learn from our mistakes are bound to repeat them.

That said, I'm glad you're on the mend and caching again.

Edited by eagletrek

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I will contact Garmin - that's a good idea. Unfortunately I just loaded the entire City Navigator US and Canada on the 2gig card, so it's unlikely that they'll need to load maps on it :anibad:

I have managed to hold it together pretty well through all this, but AlabamaRambler, that note literally put tears in my eyes. Thank you so much. Hopefully I can figure something out, or use my wretched GPS38 until I can scrape together enough cash for a new one. The 60csx was such an amzingly sweet unit that I can't imagine using anything else. I hadn't even had it for a week! Maybe it's time to sell the fender guitar I've been holding on to for nearly 20 years!

sbell: I guess I could try and use the 38, but man that's gonna suck after the 60! Still, victims can't be choosers ;) I don't have any renter's insurance, sadly. No health insurance either, so I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with the ankle, which I know isn't too smart.

Why not, when you are able to get around again, take your old GPS and some friends and go back and see what bush or hole the kids hid that new GPS in when they realized it was useless to them and would only get them caught? As long as not broken or the LCD sun cooked it should be just fine even left outdoors for a while.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I will contact Garmin - that's a good idea. Unfortunately I just loaded the entire City Navigator US and Canada on the 2gig card, so it's unlikely that they'll need to load maps on it ;)

I have managed to hold it together pretty well through all this, but AlabamaRambler, that note literally put tears in my eyes. Thank you so much. Hopefully I can figure something out, or use my wretched GPS38 until I can scrape together enough cash for a new one. The 60csx was such an amzingly sweet unit that I can't imagine using anything else. I hadn't even had it for a week! Maybe it's time to sell the fender guitar I've been holding on to for nearly 20 years!

sbell: I guess I could try and use the 38, but man that's gonna suck after the 60! Still, victims can't be choosers :anibad: I don't have any renter's insurance, sadly. No health insurance either, so I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with the ankle, which I know isn't too smart.

Why not, when you are able to get around again, take your old GPS and some friends and go back and see what bush or hole the kids hid that new GPS in when they realized it was useless to them and would only get them caught? As long as not broken or the LCD sun cooked it should be just fine even left outdoors for a while.

Need to read all the posts. He has his 60CSx back.

i was shocked, when i read about the incident that happend to you. I couldn´t imagine that geocaching could be so dangerous in urban areas. I hope you that you are in good condition now!

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany where the only enemies (while geocaching) are ticks in the woods.

Best wishes!

Jakob

Every country but the U.S. seems to be "crime free". :D

It's a sad situation to hear. Unfortunately, there is no totally "safe" place. Such a thing can happen any where and any time. More and more in the areas we once thought were "safe". It's a matter of doing the best you can at being prepared and always being aware. Sometimes it's still going to happen. hang tough and be thankful. It could have been worse.

For: Confucius' Cat

Heres the log page, didnt write an epic novel on it though..

My pee storee

Wierdest thing I've ever heard. Takes all kinds to make a world.

A lot of times people SAY p on you, but to really do it? :blink:

(reminds me of Monty Python skit about the guy with 3 bums... anybody can say they got 3 bums... ) :) I love the British humoUr.

i guess basically you were probably glad that's all they did. Could have been much worse.

Best wishes!

Jakob

Every country but the U.S. seems to be "crime free". :)

Yeah it's a regular Utopia everywhere else! :blink:

Best wishes!

Jakob

Yeah it's a regular Utopia everywhere else! :blink:

I guess that explains the mass "exodus" we have been experiencing for the last couple centuries... You know people swimming the river going south, piling onto sinking boats to go to little islands and such... I mean, well, if people keep leaving the U.S. in such great numbers to get away from our rampant crime, we'll be a virtual "ghost country" in a couple of months. :)

Best wishes!

Jakob

Yeah it's a regular Utopia everywhere else! :)

I guess that explains the mass "exodus" we have been experiencing for the last couple centuries... You know people swimming the river going south, piling onto sinking boats to go to little islands and such... I mean, well, if people keep leaving the U.S. in such great numbers to get away from our rampant crime, we'll be a virtual "ghost country" in a couple of months. :)

And then it'll be just you and me....and I know I'm a violent criminal so you'll have to leave. I hear all the places that have outlawed gun ownership are pretty safe....:angry::blink:

Edited by vtmtnman

WOW...come to think of it I GOT LUCKY TOO!!

I was in that area 3 days before you and i was being followed by a few individuals while in that area...luckily I can run well....but man that got my heart racing. Afterwards I told friends where I was caching that day and they told me that was a mistake to be in that area in the first place...