New coin with Baggage

Good 'OL Eagle

Background: Just starting in this “sport” and jumping in with both feet

Love the geocoin thing and had to have some of the “old ones” (sold out before 05/01/07,

I know how sad that sounds)

I am from Texas and had to have that Blue Bonnet coin at any price.

Resorted to eBay and lost 2 before getting one.

Did not check the fine print as the owner had activated it and was putting it up for adoption

to the buyer.

This coin is to display and will not be venturing into the wild. I know if you love it let it go free, but I will be keeping this one locked in a cage just the same.

Question

There are two “grabbed it” logged to the coin from before I got it.

Neither really add to the story of the coin. One talks about getting one of their own and the other

is talking about the way it’s made

“Not sure if I will get this one in soft enamel. I like hard emamal.

You should do your coin in hard enamel”

So do I delete these logs so my coin’s history is cleaner

Or do I let the old boyfriends stay in the spare bedroom? :o

dont wont to make to loggers mad,

they both have a ton of icon's already,

but after paying so much for it, I would really like the history to start clean.

would feel diff if i was given the coin or traded for it.

Also is there a way of changing the origin

PS boys and girls when buying check the fine print. New and uncirculated does not equal unactivated

Edited by Good 'OL Eagle

It is yours to do with as you please as the owner. That being sad you probably will upset the people who have the icon from it. If it is going to sit in a collection, what does the history page matter? Just food for thought, I can also understand wanting to have a clean slate on it.

Reading the fine print is very important, but if it said uncirculated and it was active and their are logs attached to it, I would hardly call that uncirculated. Did it say anywhere on the page that it was activated, cuz it sounds like they were trying to make it look like a new u/a coin.

So... Basically...., it's up to you, delete or leave, it's your choice, just be prepared for the hate mail. If you've got thick skin, then do what you want, if you don't leave it be.

I personally would leave the history because somebody took the time to dsicover, grab or move the coin, and that is an icon they may want on their trackables list just as much as you want the coin in your collection.

It is your coin to do as you want with though. Perhaps you should contact the ones who actually logged the "grabs" and find out how they feel about it.

As far as changing the coin place of origin and activation date goes, that is completely possible if you have the activation number.

Chances are that the person who sold you the coin didn't include the activation code, so contact them and see if they still have it. Otherwise you can probably still get it from the coin code site. Contact Crake.

To change the origin of an activated coin, go to the GC.com new coin activation page and enter the coin tracking number and activation code just as if it were a brand new coin. The coin will always have the same TB number but you will be able to change the place of origin and the activation date if you wish. This is possible for any activated coin.

If you don't have the activation code, email CRAKE and I'm sure he'll help you with it. Are you certain the person you bought it from is the geocacher who owns it? I hate to bring up that possibility, but ...

If I were the person who logged that coin, I suppose I would understand if you wanted to wipe the slate clean, but if it's my only bluebonnet coin activity, I might want a chance to discover it anew ... is that a possibility?

I'm gonna have to go look and see what these are selling for, now that you brought it up! I might have an extra somewhere ... :o

Happy Trails!

Got an email from the seller so let me clear a few points

Yes it did state in the body of the eBay page that it had been activated.

Yes it is my bad for not reading all of the page

No it was not in a smaller font I used “fine print” to mean all the details of the sale.

But at the top of the eBay listing (seen with out scrolling). It stated it was un-circulated.

Both of the loggers have other BB icons on their pages.

One talked of having one of their own.

and it was never in a published cache

The two logs

“Can't wait to get my coin. Thanks for the grab.”

“Not sure if I will get this one in soft enamel. I like hard emamal. You should do your coin in hard enamel.”

The seller is an activate Geocacher

Not blaming him totally for me having this coin.

Just for me not knowing that it was logged.

And don’t for a minuet think that he was hiding it.

Just should not have been listed as un-circulated that’s all.

I will feel bad if I remove their logs. Yet it was bought at a premium as un-circulated and in my mind un-logged.

If I can pick up another on eBay soon I think I will leave the logs’ and send it out into the world (high dollar coin to be lost :o ), if not I think I will wipe them.

I guess this all started to ease the pain of a lesson learned. Maybe the next guy will know what questions to ask first. I know I will. :o not :o

Edited by Good 'OL Eagle

Just to make sure I understand.... the original owner has adopted this coin over to you right?never mind seen it in your trackables...

Why not just email the two loggers and ask them first... why stir the pot before finding out that they are ok with the deletion cause they have other icons... then you will know how they feel... and you warned them before hand...

CA

PS: If it was me, I would leave them.

Edited by cache agent

Unless it has changed, I don't think the loggers will actually lose the icon on their page. However, they will get an email telling them that their log has been deleted. It would probably be a good idea to contact them before you delete their logs (I learned this the hard way). :drama:

I can't for the life of me understand why you would care about the previous logs on the coin. That said, it is your coin to do with as you wish, including deleting previous logs if that's what floats your boat. If I were going to do that I wouldn't give a rat's a** what the loggers thought/cared/wanted. If they had issues, I would suggest they contact their "friend" who sold their logs out from under them by adopting the coin out to someone else...in my eyes he would bear the "blame", not you.

But, once again, I can't understand why you care about the logs...

But, once again, I can't understand why you care about the logs...

I agree, I love to show off my coins and let people discover them; I don't think the logs take anything away from your coin, so im not sure why it matters...that being said, it is your coin now to do as you please with, so if you want it "clean" for some reason, i guess its up to you.

If I had logged it, i think i'd be ticked for about 5 minutes...just b/c i was part of the history of it; but i'd certainly get over it...i think there was a thread a week or two ago where someone sent a nasty threatening email to someone who had adopted a coin they discovered & deleted their logs? I wouldn't react like that!!! Just maybe be a little insulted, but really; no harm done. the icons are cute and neat to have, but really, whatever...

Edited by ThirstyMick

I would email the two loggers, let them know that you just bought the coin, adopted it, and since their logs did not add mileage, or stories, or photos, or history, you would like to start with a fresh page, and may you please delete their logs (since they actually look like virtual logs anyway). It is now your coin, and you may delete them if you wish, but etiquette would say to let them know first. They already have the icons, and they didn't place the coin anywhere, they just grabbed it.

If I can pick up another on eBay soon I think I will leave the logs’ and send it out into the world (high dollar coin to be lost :sad: ), if not I think I will wipe them.

Before you look for another Blue Bonnet on ebay, or delete all of the logs, you may be interested in the latest Texas Wildflower in Chris Rakes series, the indian paintbrush: http://crakephoto.com/reserve/index.html

WAY cheaper from the source :sad:

You might find as your collection grows and grows and you get more and more addicted :drama: the prior history bothers you less and less...

I sure hope the seller was the owner! Does having the activation code do any good once the coin has been activated? I think they are transferred by use of the adoption page. I would leave the logs, I enjoy the history as bland as it may be. :drama: Glen

The coins are transferred via the adoption page, but the activation code is still useful.

If the new owner wishes to change to state or country of origin to their own state or country, they will need the activation code to do it.

Also, if the new owner wishes to change the activation date to the date they adopted the coin, they will need the activation code to that too.

Any coin owner can change the place of origin and activation date by going to the coin & TB activation page and re-entering the tracking number and activation number as if it were a brand new coin.

Edited by tom4props

Knowing the people who have logged this coin I'm pretty confident in saying that if you email them and let them know what you would like to do they'll be fine with it, they're pretty mellow and have been around awhile and should understand.