TB hunters

i recently heard a story of someone going to an event and asking the TB/coins table if they could have the tracking numbers of all their items emailed to them. Of course they had cast their beedy eye over them but that was about it.

IMO i think that kinda defeats the purpose of the TB's what fun is there in that. What is the prize for the most logged icons. where is the history to that or the love affair in that(hazel)?

Hi

I have mixed feelings on this one. If it is geocoins, I am afraid that I log them all as 'discovered'. TBs - well it depends on how interesting they look (very subjective, I know).

I guess, as with so many things in this great sport of ours, it's what you make of it. After all, we only do it for our own enjoyment. It is not a question of anyone getting an unfair advantage in some competition or other.

So - you don't have to do this yourself, but if others want to, is that a problem?

I'll always pick up TBs and geocoins in a cache. If I find them there. I did use to move them on the same day, but after some sharp e-mails and things from owners and people I've grabbed from, I take the TB / coin home and see what its mission is (unless it has a handy laminate mission card attached)

I never discover. I just can't see the point. But that's my viewpoint and someone else will have a different one for this game! :laughing:

I've got some sheets with my coin numbers on which people can take if they want. It means people are less likely to lose my coins on the table whilst passing them round trying to read the tiny writing on them and asking "have you got the number of this one yet?" and getting them mixed up with any others.

I obviously prefer people to actually look at my coins, but if people want to discover them another way, it's no skin off my nose.

When I go to events, I discover coins, but I also examine them and if I like a coin or five, I add them to my "to buy" list.

Likewise I take a selection with me for others to discover and hopefully give them the chance to see the coins in the flesh, so to speak.

Coins never look as good in pictures.

i recently heard a story of someone going to an event and asking the TB/coins table if they could have the tracking numbers of all their items emailed to them. Of course they had cast their beedy eye over them but that was about it.

IMO i think that kinda defeats the purpose of the TB's what fun is there in that. What is the prize for the most logged icons. where is the history to that or the love affair in that(hazel)?

It’s all Pokémon as far as I’m concerned.

I don't personally see the point of 'bulk-logging' TBs. There's only one icon for them after all! I wonder if COTM is partly to blame for this slightly curious behaviour? Coin icon hunting makes a bit more sense, but I'd want to physically handle the coin if I could.

Edited by Simply Paul

i where is the history to that or the love affair in that(hazel)?

Huh??

Not sure why my name was added at the end there....

I've never ever just logged a load of coins I've never seen from a sheet of paper!

Sometimes when I go to events I sit and look lovingly at some of the coins around, and I might note a tracking number of SOME those I've held, touched etc and then discover it, but I really don't see the point in just grabbing a pre printed list and discovering them all!!

I am a bit of an icon junkie - and I like coins, but I'm not THAT bad!!

I may have missed the OPs point here, but what struck me was that someone wanted the track numbers emailed - wasn't even prepared to make the effort to write them down.

I don't normally "discover" anything I haven't moved, but if it's a nice coin (of which I haven't got the icon) or a special TB (like mine in memory of a deceased cacher) then I might. But I wouldn't count it for COTM.

I wonder if COTM is partly to blame for this slightly curious behaviour?

Discovering trackables doesn't count on COTM.

I recently heard of someone who visited an event and was asked if they'd like an email of all the tracking numbers. They declined, as they were of the opinion that it's a pointless excise and a bit too nerdy. :ph34r:

I recently heard of someone who visited an event and was asked if they'd like an email of all the tracking numbers. They declined, as they were of the opinion that it's a pointless excise and a bit too nerdy. :(

After attending events in different areas of the UK, I can tell you that the 'discovering' behaviour is different in different places. In the majority of places, you get the handful of people who will discover any coin just for the icon (not too bad I think), then there will be a few more who will sit and write down the number of every TB in sight (every so slightly odd IMO).

Then you go to events where loads of people are just sat raking through the TBs, or god forbid someone has made a list of all the tracking numbers so everyone can take a copy or write the numbers down without ever seeing the TBs. In such places I have now vowed to just pass the TBs on to other cachers rather than put them 'on the table'

Near to one of these such places, we visited a TB hotel. The majority of the TBs had just been sat there for months, while cacher after cacher had visited, discovered them and left them there. The cache was full of water too, and many people had just left the TBs there just rotting in it. We completely cleared out the TB hotel, and repaired every TB that had been ruined. We received many thank you emails from the TB owners for moving them as well as repairing them.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger
Near to one of these such places, we visited a TB hotel. The majority of the TBs had just been sat there for months, while cacher after cacher had visited, discovered them and left them there.

Maybe one of the drawbacks of the 'discover' facility that TPTB didn't forsee? Sometimes it can be a dilemma whether to grab or discover a TB or coin in a cache. In this instance I'd have done the same thing. Personally though, the novelty of logging multiple TB's at a bash is wearing off for me, even coins are loosing their 'mass logging' appeal. Too much of a good thing? :(

I have a great little coin hotel... and I swear, that if it wasn't for myself and another local cacher completely clearing it out and replacing coins on a regular basis, most would sit there for weeks while most people discover them....

I don't havea problem, i think most people do it cos they think they are being kind, making sure there are some in there for future visitors, but they really are just keeping them prisoner.

Now I just say - go for it - TB's and coins are MEANT to travel - get em travelling!

I have to say that when I started, it was nice to get a new icon from the coins that were available at the time, as there were not that many around :lol:

Now there are so many and the icons have moved from your front page I find myself not too bothered :laughing:

I will still help TB's on their way if they have specific aims.

I also like to see some of the designs of the coins out there, but I can't say I would list all the TB's and coins at an event just to discover them.

But as has been said before, each to their own, we all play the game the way we want :(

Wadders

I don't particularly choose caches that have T/Bs or coins in. If I find one, it's a bonus and I'll take it to move it on. In all the logs I have for bugs/coins only 10 have been of the 'discovered it' sort and some of them are T/B that you can't take with you.... dogs, cars, even people.

At events, I only log coins or bugs that I take away with me. I have no interest in logging everything on show. One notable exception, however, was a Moun10Bike Geocoin that was too good to miss :(

IMO i think that kinda defeats the purpose of the TB's what fun is there in that. What is the prize for the most logged icons.

Hey come on don't take Geocaching so seriously. If someone want's to get his/her numbers high it's okay for me. It doesn't take away my enjoyment of seeing great coins and TB's during the events and cache hunting trips.

I had two UFDTBs, one aplied for with this profile and one with 'granthamscouts'. Both were released having written on them with a fine marker the name/destination.

Equally, I don't 'discover' TBs or coins, I either leave them or take them home to release again later. Sometimes that means that a TB might get a bit off track, like the time I took what turned out to be one of the Frequent Flyer series from the TB Hotel near Stanstead; but at least it got moved on.

I know we all say that the game is there to play in the way you want to play it, but there are some people out there that seem to bend that rule a bit too far. and start to impinge on others game play. :D