Venture Cx powered by Motorola power adaptor?

I read in a FAQ on the Legend Cx (virtually identical to VentureCx)that it is ok to use the USB power adapter for the Motorola Razor phone with the Legend Cx. Has any one actually done this? The power specs for my Venture Cx say 3volts (2 X1.5 volt) but on the Motorola USB adapter its stated output is 5volts. Would that higher voltage not cause a problem?

Legend Cx FAQ:

http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries...ndcx/power.html

I read in a FAQ on the Legend Cx (virtually identical to VentureCx)that it is ok to use the USB power adapter for the Motorola Razor phone with the Legend Cx. Has any one actually done this? The power specs for my Venture Cx say 3volts (2 X1.5 volt) but on the Motorola USB adapter its stated output is 5volts. Would that higher voltage not cause a problem?

Legend Cx FAQ:

http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries...ndcx/power.html

If it works let me know b/c i have the razr car cig adapter and some wall adapters i would like to use but havent tried it yet. I payed 230 bucks for my vista CX and cant afford to blow it into the sky.

The way the FAQ puts it I get the feeling that because its a USB fitting it must comply to a certain standard.. power wise.

For example if you plug it in to your PC it gets power. I wonder what kind of voltage comes out from the PC? surely its a standard voltage. I doubt the driver varies the voltage coming from the USB port.

The way the FAQ puts it I get the feeling that because its a USB fitting it must comply to a certain standard.. power wise.

For example if you plug it in to your PC it gets power. I wonder what kind of voltage comes out from the PC? surely its a standard voltage. I doubt the driver varies the voltage coming from the USB port.

yea b/c my mp3 player, digital camera, gps and others have different power levels also.

I know some electronic goods have a large tolerance to voltage variations. Some portable devices can run on both 230volts in Europe and 110volts in USA. However I am sure they have been engineered to cope with the voltage differences.

It would be very convenient if I could use my Motorola car charger on my Venture Cx...But i aint gonna be the guinea pig!

I know some electronic goods have a large tolerance to voltage variations. Some portable devices can run on both 230volts in Europe and 110volts in USA. However I am sure they have been engineered to cope with the voltage differences.

It would be very convenient if I could use my Motorola car charger on my Venture Cx...But i aint gonna be the guinea pig!

You can call me the Guinea Pig...we bought a Vista Cx while on vacation in Louisiana and used a Motorola Razor power cord to power it all the way back to Virginia - worked fine.

Bill

You can call me the Guinea Pig...we bought a Vista Cx while on vacation in Louisiana and used a Motorola Razor power cord to power it all the way back to Virginia - worked fine.

Bill

awesome great thanks :laughing:

Bill

awesome great thanks :o

I have also used a Razr cig adapter for my Vista CX and it still works fine. But don't blame me if you try it and burn your up

I interchange the chargers on Legend CX, Razr v3i, GPS10X, have for quite a while, no problems. In car and at home too.

USB MUST supply 5vdc, any unit that has mini USB port, MUST be able to use the charger.

Edit: "Charger" used, but CX can NOT be "charged" only operated on the adaptor, Razr and GPS 10 "Charge".

Edited by Mach2003

I don't have a Venture Cx but I do have a 60 CSx that I have run with a mini- USB car charger for a while now. A USB port supplies a steady 5 volts (+/- 0.25 volts) power supply. Click here for some technical stuff. I also run my Palm Z22 from the same charger. Only difference is that I can recharge my PDA with this charger, but I can only power my GPS with it. Still comes in handy and saves a lot of battery life on road trips or when traveling between caches.

When you use a charger to power a gpsr, do you need to take the batteries out ?

No, internal circuitry on my Cx (probably on most, if not all other) switches automatically

from internal (battery) to external power.

Bill

Can you use the proper charger when using alkaline batteries. I have a cigarette lighter adapter for my legend cx (haven't used it on my 60cx- assuming I can). The adaptor is a charger as well. Can I use safely this charger to power my gps when the gps has non-rechargeable ALKALINE batteries in it.

Edited by GreatCanadian

No, internal circuitry on my Cx (probably on most, if not all other) switches automatically

Bill

Can you use the proper charger when using alkaline batteries. I have a cigarette lighter adapter for my legend cx (haven't used it on my 60cx- assuming I can). The adaptor is a charger as well. Can I use safely this charger to power my gps when the gps has non-rechargeable ALKALINE batteries in it.

Yes. It is called a car charger because it is generally used to charge cell phones. It is more correctly a 12v power supply. The device you are using determines what it will do with that power--charge batteries, power the unit, etc.

Garmin designed their GPS units that take regular (AA, AAA) batteries so that when the unit detects external power it draws from that power. When it detects no external power, it powers from the batts. I would be willing to be they made the concious decision NOT to include a charging circuit because of the liability of people putting Alkalines in and having them blow up.

Bill

Yes. It is called a car charger because it is generally used to charge cell phones. It is more correctly a 12v power supply. The device you are using determines what it will do with that power--charge batteries, power the unit, etc.

Garmin designed their GPS units that take regular (AA, AAA) batteries so that when the unit detects external power it draws from that power. When it detects no external power, it powers from the batts. I would be willing to be they made the concious decision NOT to include a charging circuit because of the liability of people putting Alkalines in and having them blow up.

I noticed on the system setup menu there is a selection for type of battery If you change to NiMH or Lithium Ion would this possibly let you charge?

Here is some info on USB power: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

For anyone who is interested these are some photos of a Garmin USB car power adaptor which came with a Nuvi 270 sat nav. The specific power details are on the label.

Image:Crgr03.jpg

Image:Crgr02.jpg

Image:Crgr01.jpg

I dont know why the images will not show. You can see them here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Crgr03.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Crgr02.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Crgr01.jpg

Maybe this:

Crgr03.jpg

Doh!!! a little big. How do I resize the image?

Edited by passdump