GEOCACHING MAGAZINE

Have to be honest here -- as someone who writes for a living -- if you can't take negative feedback or criticism, you shouldn't be doing it, no matter if it's free on a website or paid. If you are putting yourself out there as a writer, you need to be able to take people saying they like your writing or people saying they don't like it. It's all part of the process.

If I had a buck for every e-mail or call I got saying how much they hated what I wrote or covered or whatever, I'd have quite a few dollars. And it's also true that people that like your stuff usually won't go out of their way to say so, but the few who e-mail, call or send mail saying so, it's worth all the negative stuff.

Writing requires having thick skin. Even if it's a free online magazine.

Great input, thanks!

Not to argue, but to explore that further...

What if we're not necessarily after 'writers' per se, but instead are looking for articles by everyday geocachers? Somebody who tells a geocaching story around an event campfire and folks find it funny or valuable, tells them "Hey, you should share that, it's a great story, other geocachers will enjoy it!"

Do we hold them to the same standard of writing as we would for someone who writes for a living?

If the folks were submitting their story to a forum or blog would amateur writing be more acceptable? If so why not for an amateur magazine?

The balance I am looking for is one where the stories are interesting, entertaining or educational from geocachers who have perhaps never written before and wouldn't even try to write for a professional publication.

Read the level of writing in this forum (my own, for instance!)... would most of these folks be able to write for most magazines?

Probably not, I couldn't, yet they are exactly who I want to write for The Online Geocacher (not that I would turn down well-written articles!) :)

Should those folks be criticized for sharing their stories?

That may well be one of the great values in having the folks at Geocaching Magazine do well - the professional and/or experienced writers may want to write for them and the rest of the geocaching world write for The Online Geocacher.

Have to be honest here -- as someone who writes for a living -- if you can't take negative feedback or criticism, you shouldn't be doing it, no matter if it's free on a website or paid. If you are putting yourself out there as a writer, you need to be able to take people saying they like your writing or people saying they don't like it. It's all part of the process.

If I had a buck for every e-mail or call I got saying how much they hated what I wrote or covered or whatever, I'd have quite a few dollars. And it's also true that people that like your stuff usually won't go out of their way to say so, but the few who e-mail, call or send mail saying so, it's worth all the negative stuff.

Great input, thanks!

What if we're not necessarily after 'writers' per se, but instead are looking for articles by everyday geocachers? Somebody who tells a geocaching story around an event campfire and folks find it funny or valuable, tells them "Hey, you should share that, it's a great story, other geocachers will enjoy it!"

Do we hold them to the same standard of writing as we would for someone who writes for a living?

If the folks were submitting their story to a forum or blog would amateur writing be more acceptable? If so why not for an amateur magazine?

The balance I am looking for is one where the stories are interesting, entertaining or educational from geocachers who have perhaps never written before and wouldn't even try to write for a professional publication.

Read the level of writing in this forum (my own, for instance!)... would most of these folks be able to write for most magazines?

Probably not, I couldn't, yet they are exactly who I want to write for The Online Geocacher (not that I would turn down well-written articles!) :)

That may well be one of the great values in having the folks at Geocaching Magazine do well - the professional and/or experienced writers may want to write for them and the rest of the geocaching world write for The Online Geocacher.

I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time it's like this -- you are calling it an online magazine. No matter if you are saying it's "by geocachers for geocachers," or not, people are going to have an opinion and will expect a certain level of writing. Not everyone does it for a living (and consider yourselves lucky as the money is not good), but people like to read a certain level. If that level isn't reached, per say, I think people like to have the ability to say something.

If you don't allow any feedback, you are shielding people. Shouldn't the end result be the hope that with every article one submits, it's better than the last?

I wouldn't expect people to write at a professional level. But I would expect basic grammar, flow etc. to be in a story. If not, as a writer, I'd want the ability to point something out (or have something pointed out to me, as it may be).

Geocaching has a lot of great people and likely stories. The paper I write for has an occasional magazine (unfortunately not online) and the most recent issue was an outdoor activity one, so I had the opportunity to write a story on caching. When it was all said and done, the story took me from chatting with people in my area, to some in Texas and contacting Groundspeak. I learned more about travel bugs, caching extreme style and everything else than I ever could have. When all said and done, it was a 3,000-word + story that took up like six pages (with photos) in the magazine.

If someone had issue with that story, or thought I didn't do this or that, I'd want them to contact me and tell me. If someone loved it, I'd want someone to contact me. It's all part of the process.

No matter what there should be some sort of a level for this magazine. You want it to be appreciated and read. Normal readers know good and bad writing. Don't chase them off. Allow the readers to hopefully help and shape your writers and hopefully the writers you have and will get will learn and embrace the contact and feedback. It's a good feeling when people leave notes saying you did well.

I do like the look of the site and all, so keep up the good work. I hope it can grow even bigger.

Latest new via email....

Well I have bad news, good news, and great news.

Bad news first, might as well get it out of the way. As you have all probably figured out we had a few more delays and the Mar/Apr 2008 Premiere Issue of Geocacher Magazine has become the May/June 2008 Premiere Issue.

Good News is that our new website should be up and live by this weekend. We are very excited about this site. Our desire is for Geocacher Magazine to be about our readers and fellow cachers. With that in mind we have created a website that will make it easy for you to send us your stories, pics, suggestions and experiences. Throughout the magazine you will see an “ABOUT YOU” feature. This is our salute to you, be it great camos, great views, or just plain old great stories. Log on to the website and click on the “ABOUT YOU” button and for each submission you send you will be entered into a monthly drawing for a gift card from one of our supporting advertisers.

Last but not least, the great news! The magazine is in the mail. So check your mailboxes next week. Many, many thanks to all of you for your patience and support as we figure this out. We are so excited to finally get this magazine in all of your hands.

We are heading off to GeoWoodstock and looking forward to meeting many of you there. Please look for your souvenir program with the July/Aug issue along with a full report on the event.

Happy Caching!

Elisika Arango – Editor

Michael Jacobus - Publisher

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

www.geocachermagazine.com

Great input, thanks!

I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time it's like this -- you are calling it an online magazine. No matter if you are saying it's "by geocachers for geocachers," or not, people are going to have an opinion and will expect a certain level of writing. Not everyone does it for a living (and consider yourselves lucky as the money is not good), but people like to read a certain level. If that level isn't reached, per say, I think people like to have the ability to say something.

If you don't allow any feedback, you are shielding people. Shouldn't the end result be the hope that with every article one submits, it's better than the last?

I wouldn't expect people to write at a professional level. But I would expect basic grammar, flow etc. to be in a story. If not, as a writer, I'd want the ability to point something out (or have something pointed out to me, as it may be).

No matter what there should be some sort of a level for this magazine. You want it to be appreciated and read. Normal readers know good and bad writing. Don't chase them off. Allow the readers to hopefully help and shape your writers and hopefully the writers you have and will get will learn and embrace the contact and feedback. It's a good feeling when people leave notes saying you did well.

I do like the look of the site and all, so keep up the good work. I hope it can grow even bigger.

Ed and I have discussed this, and we are trying to find the best way to accept and publish feedback. We welcome criticism as well as positive feedback. However that criticism should be directed towards us as the Publisher and Editor In Chief, and the overall magazine rather than to writers themselves. It’s our responsibility to edit all articles that are submitted to us for content, flow, and grammar.

We will never allow any criticism of an individual writer to be published. The only exception would be if someone submitted an editorial, in which case we would publish all feedback regarding the opinion published, not to the writing its self.

Feedback whether positive or negative is a great tool for us to learn from. This information will help us better grow the magazine.

El Diablo

Latest new via email....

Bad news first, might as well get it out of the way. As you have all probably figured out we had a few more delays and the Mar/Apr 2008 Premiere Issue of Geocacher Magazine has become the May/June 2008 Premiere Issue.

Good News is that our new website should be up and live by this weekend. We are very excited about this site. Our desire is for Geocacher Magazine to be about our readers and fellow cachers. With that in mind we have created a website that will make it easy for you to send us your stories, pics, suggestions and experiences. Throughout the magazine you will see an “ABOUT YOU” feature. This is our salute to you, be it great camos, great views, or just plain old great stories. Log on to the website and click on the “ABOUT YOU” button and for each submission you send you will be entered into a monthly drawing for a gift card from one of our supporting advertisers.

Last but not least, the great news! The magazine is in the mail. So check your mailboxes next week. Many, many thanks to all of you for your patience and support as we figure this out. We are so excited to finally get this magazine in all of your hands.

We are heading off to GeoWoodstock and looking forward to meeting many of you there. Please look for your souvenir program with the July/Aug issue along with a full report on the event.

Happy Caching!

Elisika Arango – Editor

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

I'd like to see if they'll sell a single-copy of the magazine as I'd really be interested in purchasing it if I liked the look and content. It's nice to see that they are sending it out at least.

I'd like to see if they'll sell a single-copy of the magazine as I'd really be interested in purchasing it if I liked the look and content. It's nice to see that they are sending it out at least.

Same here. I don't have much time to read mags. In fact I only subscribe to one, and that's because it is a great reference tool for my other hobby, homebrewing.

If the mag is worth it, I will subscribe, but I want to see it first.

Great input, thanks!

Ed and I have discussed this, and we are trying to find the best way to accept and publish feedback. We welcome criticism as well as positive feedback. However that criticism should be directed towards us as the Publisher and Editor In Chief, and the overall magazine rather than to writers themselves. It’s our responsibility to edit all articles that are submitted to us for content, flow, and grammar.

We will never allow any criticism of an individual writer to be published. The only exception would be if someone submitted an editorial, in which case we would publish all feedback regarding the opinion published, not to the writing its self.

Feedback whether positive or negative is a great tool for us to learn from. This information will help us better grow the magazine.

El Diablo

Well, you could always do a weekly "letters to the editor" type thing that gives people the freedom to write in and say how they feel. Again, shielding writers isn't a good thing, I don't believe. Now don't get me wrong -- I wouldn't publish blatant rips on someone (ie: So-and-so writes like a three-year-old and is a joke), bit legit criticism should not be sent by way of the deleted folder because it can be helpful to writers and readers.

Remember, a writer is just that. They aren't perfect. And they shouldn't be set off somewhere so as not to get hurt feelings. If someone writes something I strongly disagree with or didn't feel was done right and I want to offer a different vantage point, I should be able to do so without worrying about it being deleted. Even if it's just to the writer (which is often how I get stuff in this business).

Any thought to maybe getting a domain and giving each writer an e-mail address? That could be attached at the bottom of their story. Even with a spam guard on it -- ie: so-and-so can be reached at so-and-so[at]geomagonline.com or something along those lines.

That allows freedom for someone to write the writer and the freedom for the writer to ignore or respond. Also, a person could just e-mail you guys for the "letters" portion if you do something like that.

Overall, I'm cheering that you succeed and make a killer online read. I'm just going on a bunch of years in this industry and what has helped make me better over time as a writer.

Edited by softball29

Latest new via email....

Happy Caching!

Elisika Arango – Editor

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

If you're nice, maybe you can get El Diablo to send you a few hundred issues of Today's Cacher

Latest new via email....

Happy Caching!

Elisika Arango – Editor

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

If you're nice, maybe you can get El Diablo to send you a few hundred issues of Today's Cacher

I thought that magazine was no more?!?

Latest new via email....

Happy Caching!

Elisika Arango – Editor

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

Well it's no longer being published, but as Brian pointed out, I still have plenty of copies of the two publications we made. Way too many copies! :)

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Latest new via email....

Happy Caching!

Elisika Arango – Editor

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

Well it's no longer being published, but as Brian pointed out, I still have plenty of copies of the two publications we made. Way too many copies! :)

El Diablo

Gotcha. Did you only do one issue? How big of an issue/articles etc.?

Great input, thanks!

El Diablo

Well, you could always do a weekly "letters to the editor" type thing that gives people the freedom to write in and say how they feel. Again, shielding writers isn't a good thing, I don't believe. Now don't get me wrong -- I wouldn't publish blatant rips on someone (ie: So-and-so writes like a three-year-old and is a joke), bit legit criticism should not be sent by way of the deleted folder because it can be helpful to writers and readers.

Remember, a writer is just that. They aren't perfect. And they shouldn't be set off somewhere so as not to get hurt feelings. If someone writes something I strongly disagree with or didn't feel was done right and I want to offer a different vantage point, I should be able to do so without worrying about it being deleted. Even if it's just to the writer (which is often how I get stuff in this business).

Any thought to maybe getting a domain and giving each writer an e-mail address? That could be attached at the bottom of their story. Even with a spam guard on it -- ie: so-and-so can be reached at so-and-so[at]geomagonline.com or something along those lines.

That allows freedom for someone to write the writer and the freedom for the writer to ignore or respond. Also, a person could just e-mail you guys for the "letters" portion if you do something like that.

Overall, I'm cheering that you succeed and make a killer online read. I'm just going on a bunch of years in this industry and what has helped make me better over time as a writer.

You have to understand that our writers aren't typical writers. They are cachers from all walks of life that just want to share their experiences with other cachers. If they were staff writers I would agree with you. However 98% of them will only submit an article or two, not write on a regular basis. What we don't want is for potential submitters to see previous writers hammered over content, grammer, etc... It's like posting in these forums, you had better be thick skinned or stay on the sidelines.

As for getting a domain...that may come in the future. We are a non profit magazine which means we don't sell ads to generate revenue. We are also currently limited by our web skills. Hopefully one day we can get a webmaster to volunteer their time and then we will have more opportunities to expand our horizons. If the magazine grows as we hope it will, we'll then have to find ways of funding it due to the bandwidth and hosting cost. For now it's a K.I.S.S operation.

Thanks for cheering us on. We need it!

El Diablo

Latest new via email....

Happy Caching!

Elisika Arango – Editor

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

Well it's no longer being published, but as Brian pointed out, I still have plenty of copies of the two publications we made. Way too many copies! ;)

El Diablo

I never got a copy of the second issue and lost my copy of the first (hint, hint). :unsure:

A couple thoughts to ponder:

1 ) Ed, I'm thinking that you should not have an open ended comments section on your articles. You and your staff obviously need the feedback, so you can learn what type of writing works for your magazine, but the rest of the geo-world doesn't need to read a bunch of chatter about every article that crosses your server. Maybe a compromise is in order? You could have a "Letters to the Editor" section where you screen what comes in and decide what goes back out. As long as you offer letters representative of both sides of any issue that arises, you should be fine.

2 ) El D, judging by the few comments I've seen, there is definitely a market for your old magazines. I haven't been to the site in a while, so I'm not certain... is there a link there where folks can order replacement copies? I'd love to have one of each.

A couple thoughts to ponder:

1 ) Ed, I'm thinking that you should not have an open ended comments section on your articles. You and your staff obviously need the feedback, so you can learn what type of writing works for your magazine, but the rest of the geo-world doesn't need to read a bunch of chatter about every article that crosses your server. Maybe a compromise is in order? You could have a "Letters to the Editor" section where you screen what comes in and decide what goes back out. As long as you offer letters representative of both sides of any issue that arises, you should be fine.

2 ) El D, judging by the few comments I've seen, there is definitely a market for your old magazines. I haven't been to the site in a while, so I'm not certain... is there a link there where folks can order replacement copies? I'd love to have one of each.

Now for you personally...all you have to do is email me your address and I'll see if I can dredge up a few.

El Diablo

With people being so used to blogs and such that create a discourse among authors and readers, I think allowing comments to some extent is a good idea.

Most times a comments section can be set up so that comments go to moderation first. Plus you would want good spam control system, and comment moderation catches what gets missed.

If you set up your Ezine using something like WordPress you can take advantage of some great spam protection filters (Askimet) and have various comment moderation options. A particularly good Wordpress magazine theme with great support is Revolution Magazine. But that one isn't free. I think it runs $79 for a single site license. There are various free ones out there as well. You would want to be running Wordpress or another similar program from a hosted site too in order to take full advantage of some of the features. Although Wordpress.com does offer free sites. I just don't know if they limit your templates and ability to edit them there or not. I think that they do.

Of course perhaps what you are currently using already offers this stuff as well. I'm not familiar with Press Publisher, but I imagine that it offers basic commenting and spam control features.

2 of 3 winning designs have been selected!

Congratulations to SaintSeester and SuperNewbiePro for their winning mastheads and banner ad!

The banner ad is or soon will be in the advertising rotation on geocaching.com.

Your stocked ready-to-hide ammo can caches are on the way!

Here are the winning entries:

Saintseester's Banner Ad

geoadbanner2.jpg

Saintseester's masthead

banner1-1.jpg

SuperNewbiePro's masthead:

OnlineGeocacherLightened-1.jpg

Thanks to all who have participated so far, I am looking forward to selecting the next winning submission!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I was one of the original contributers who helped with the first magazine and enjoyed being one, however, due to adverse comments on this forum by those who want everything but who are not prepared to contribute I decided that I didn't want to continue with my articles.

Those of us who gave up our spare time for the goodness of the sport could well have done without such treatment.

Unfortunatly a dedicated team did not receive the encouragement it deserved.

So beware, however much free spare time is given, someone will complain about something. You can't please all the people all the time but at least we tried.

Edited by Bucks Bodgers

I got the Geocacher Magazine in the mail today, and I like it. I hope everybody support the effort of making this magazine.

geocachermagazine.jpg

okvalle

I paid 5 bucks (that's right FIVE Georges) for a copy at GW6. I laughed at the high price, hearing coffin nails in my mind, but I wanted a copy for posterity, so I paid it. :)

I still haven't taken the time to read it. I must say the moment I spent leafing through it was quite a bit better than the online sample version.

I'll post my thoughts when I get a chance to read it.

paid 5 bucks (that's right FIVE Georges) for a copy at GW6. I laughed at the high price, hearing coffin nails in my mind, but I wanted a copy for posterity, so I paid it.

Methinks you haven't looked at the cover price of most monthly magazines lately. Just looking through my magazine rack I see American Heritage, $5.99. Cooks Illustrated, $5.95. Ski Magazine, $4.99. National Review, $5.00. Of course you can get them cheaper with a subscription, but just to buy one $5 is the going rate for a monthly magazine.

I was one of the original contributers who helped with the first magazine and enjoyed being one, however, due to adverse comments on this forum by those who want everything but who are not prepared to contribute I decided that I didn't want to continue with my articles.

Those of us who gave up our spare time for the goodness of the sport could well have done without such treatment.

Unfortunately a dedicated team did not receive the encouragement it deserved.

So beware, however much free spare time is given, someone will complain about something. You can't please all the people all the time but at least we tried.

I hope that we can all set aside any bad feelings left like this from prior efforts. It is unfortunate that anyone who tried to make a geocaching magazine happen should feel ill treated. Thank you for your effort. However, what happened, good or bad, happened... it's in the past. We learn from it and move on, and we must not try to crucify those who tried.

It is true that "however much free spare time is given, someone will complain about something", but it is also true that we must learn from the legitimate complaints and ignore the rest... without the free "spare time" efforts generously given we will have no geocaching magazine at all!

Please keep in mind that a few vocal opponents and complainers are always there for any effort, but they are always a vast minority.

One of the basic tenets that my family taught me while growing up was that I had to earn the right to complain... meaning that if I wasn't willing to try to fix the issue then I had no right to complain about it. Anyone who complains about something without making any effort to improve it trivializes themselves and therefore their complaints can rarely be taken seriously.

All of you who contributed time, money and content to Todays Cacher were and still are appreciated by the vast majority of the geocaching community. That the magazine ultimately failed to thrive is almost irrelevant - the important thing is that geocachers came together to attempt something and worked hard toward that goal, thus confirming that the community does want a magazine, is willing to work on it and is willing to support it.

The fact that the TodaysCacher.com website STILL gets more hits than any of the currently published efforts proves that they were on the right track.

Sure, there were some problems, some virulent disagreements and some complaints, legitimate and otherwise... but show me any effort that doesn't have them! The enormous cost of going to print killed TC (from an outsider's perspective) else I believe that magazine would have flourished.

With the knowledge gained from the TC experience the next question is how to build a business model that works.

Today there are several efforts at getting a geocaching magazine up and running, and we all need the community's support.

With the delivery of their first print issue Geocacher Magazine (http://geocachermagazine.com/) appears to be well on its way to delivering a slick, professional publication. While I am not a part of it I have talked at length with its publisher and believe that he has a good business plan and the revenues to support it. Geocacher Magazine deserves this community's support. They won't get everything right, there will be problems, but that's the way new businesses are born... it isn't easy or pretty! I am writing an article for them and hope that you (all geocachers) will do the same.

Another new effort that's limping along nicely takes an entirely different approach to giving geocachers the content they say they want. The Online Geocacher (http://onlinegeocacher.com) is a publishing outlet that is a free gift to the community. Email an article to me and I will post it, usually the same day. Simple. No business model at all. No reason for controversy, no staff, no cost but a bit of hosting that I will continue to cover.

There are other efforts seeing various degrees of success; my failing to mention them here reflects only that I don't know much about them.

So, geocachers, you have choices. You can support the professional efforts of Geocaching Magazine by submitting content, doing business with their supporting advertisers and buying subscriptions.

You can publish whatever you want that's related to geocaching for free in my amateur effort, The Online Geocacher.

You can choose to submit your content to one of the other efforts underway.

If those choices don't suit you then you can start your own. I will support you if you do... I just want to see geocaching content published, I care not where or by whom!

But, if you make no effort to get a geocaching magazine going then you will get no geocaching magazine, it's that simple.

If geocachers really care and want to have a geocaching magazine then you can have one... all you have to do is choose to support one or more of them. The ball, as they say, is now in your court! :D

no, but i expect competent writing.

actually, when i read blogs, i look for competent writing. i don't read blogs by the barely literate. i feel a forum is different and standards can and should be relaxed. too often i see posts by people who obviously don't read. they use words incorrectly, or use in inappropriate homonym, or string together words that almost sound like the proper words. obviously they're not getting this half-learned vocabulary in print media. they hear it and take a guess as to its spelling and meaning, often with sadly comical results.

i use dictionaries when i'm not certain of the nuances of a word's meaning, or its proper spelling.

no, and they shouldn't. if you want a quality publication instead of a sandbox, you can and should edit articles by people with rudimentary literacy skills.

no, but they should expect their stories to be edited for clarity and in many cases, grammar. it would not be appropriate to allow every comment on the articles to published. maybe letters to the editor, but no responsible publication prints every comment someone sees fit to write. it's not shielding the writers; it just isn't done. ça ne ce fait pas.

why aim for the bottom of the heap? why not provide quality content?

and i have little faith in geocaching magazine; maybe they'll get out an issue or two, but it's been strings of spam, gladhanding, empty promises, claiming of every criticism as cheerful support. it's like taking a "can-do" attitude and turning it into a pathological delusion.

and by the way, i don't believe that most people want to read these things. i believe that most people want to write or be written about.

actually, when i read blogs, i look for competent writing. i don't read blogs by the barely literate. i feel a forum is different and standards can and should be relaxed. too often i see posts by people who obviously don't read. they use words incorrectly, or use in inappropriate homonym, or string together words that almost sound like the proper words. obviously they're not getting this half-learned vocabulary in print media. they hear it and take a guess as to its spelling and meaning, often with sadly comical results.

i use dictionaries when i'm not certain of the nuances of a word's meaning, or its proper spelling.

no, and they shouldn't. if you want a quality publication instead of a sandbox, you can and should edit articles by people with rudimentary literacy skills.

no, but they should expect their stories to be edited for clarity and in many cases, grammar. it would not be appropriate to allow every comment on the articles to published. maybe letters to the editor, but no responsible publication prints every comment someone sees fit to write. it's not shielding the writers; it just isn't done. ça ne ce fait pas.

and i have little faith in geocaching magazine; maybe they'll get out an issue or two, but it's been strings of spam, gladhanding, empty promises, claiming of every criticism as cheerful support. it's like taking a "can-do" attitude and turning it into a pathological delusion.

and by the way, i don't believe that most people want to read these things. i believe that most people want to write or be written about.

If you want to be part of the solution then you are encouraged to write something for one of us and submit it.

Based on the grammar, punctuation and lack of capitalization in your post I would recommend that you submit your work to The Online Geocacher where such things are not so important and anyone can get their caching tales told!

Keep in mind, someone still has to proofread, correct spelling and grammer, edit for clarity, edit for length (possibly) and the other mundane chores that would be associated with getting numerous submissions into a readable form. And again, if insufficient usuable submissions are received, you have to find something.

Ay, there's the rub. I've spent enough time on the forums to see that editing would be a crucial part of this undertaking, and as a professional writer and editor, I know how much time that takes. I'd be willing to volunteer some time as an editor (and can help put together a stylesheet, etc.); but the volume would have to be low-to-moderate to be able to do that on a regular basis.

Jeannette (angevine)

If you want to be part of the solution then you are encouraged to write something for one of us and submit it.

Based on the grammar, punctuation and lack of capitalization in your post I would recommend that you submit your work to The Online Geocacher where such things are not so important and anyone can get their caching tales told!

my grammar and punctuation are above reproach; my use of lowercase letters is partly a style choice and partly on account of a difficulty with left/right coordination.

i'm not particularly desperate to see my caching tales in print in any publication with editing standards that resemble those of the online logs or those of these forums. i am less likely to want to read a loosely edited collection of whatever anybody submits.

when i read a publication, i trust the editors to make choices about which articles and stories will actually make good copy. i further trust them to edit the copy for clarity and continuity, if not grammar and punctuation.

if the editors do not provide these services, i simply don't read that publication. not every story merits space on a page.

if i were to want to write for any publication, i would expect it to be one with good editorial oversight. i haven't got the time to write for sandbox publications. submitting my work for such a publication wouldn't even begin to make it into one i would read.

a place where "anyone can get their caching tales told" has no appeal for me. i don't want to have to wade through "anyone's" tales; i want to read the interesting and articulate tales. i find that where everyone can be a writer, most of them shouldn't.

... I'd be willing to volunteer some time as an editor (and can help put together a stylesheet, etc.); but the volume would have to be low-to-moderate to be able to do that on a regular basis.

Great!

Submissions are few and far between at the moment, hopefully that will pick up and we'll need your services!

I will be sure to reach out to the many who have volunteered when that happens.

As you can see in The Online Geocacher and derive from my posts here editing is for us a pretty superficial process. No style sheets needed, just basic spelling, word choice and paragraph formatting and we're good to go.

I do not profess to be a writer, editor or even much of a publisher, I just provide a place where geocachers who choose to do so may share their stories.

Not everyone will enjoy our style of publishing; that's why choices are good to have.

Fortunately since there's very little cost to me and no cost to the reader we don't have to compete for a large audience... if those who choose to read our stories enjoy them then my mission is successful!

if the editors do not provide these services, i simply don't read that publication. not every story merits space

a place where "anyone can get their caching tales told" has no appeal for me. i don't want to have to wade through "anyone's" tales; i want to read the interesting and articulate tales. i find that where everyone can be a writer, most of them shouldn't.

I actually don't think that's going to be a problem. From my experience (and I have lots of experience in this field) people that don't feel confident in their writing skills don't normally submit articles. There are exceptions, and with those you have to be tactful.

There are people that you would love to have an article from, but they just can't write. This is where staff writers come into play. Anyways I wouldn't worry about about articles with no structure, poor grammer, or no substance being printed in any caching magazine.

El Diablo

Off topic, but I hope the mods will allow me this!

If anyone would like to take the helm, as it were, of The Online Geocacher to edit and publish articles for a few weeks while I am out of touch please email me and I will set you up with access to the online publishing tool. It's really intuitive and easy to operate.

I have been called out to leave Sunday for Cedar Rapids Iowa to provide disaster relief services to flood victims.

My Alabama Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief team will take a mobile kitchen and emergency communications trailer to feed victims 35,000 meals per day and to provide radio communications to government agencies, disaster recovery providers and victims.

I will likely be in the disaster zone for three weeks and during that time will be tent camping with limited if any cellular or internet access.

During that time several folks will submit articles and I would like to get someone to edit and publish them as they come in rather than wait until my return.

edmanley@bham.rr.com

Thanks!

73 de W4AGA

I got the Geocacher Magazine in the mail today, and I like it. I hope everybody support the effort of making this magazine.

geocachermagazine.jpg

okvalle

I got mine about 2 weeks ago, I couldn't of been more un-impressed. The best articles were in the online sample so there was nothing worth reading in it when I got it. I hope that future articles will be better.

If anyone would like to take the helm, as it were, of The Online Geocacher to edit and publish articles for a few weeks while I am out of touch please email me and I will set you up with access to the online publishing tool. It's really intuitive and easy to operate.

I have been called out to leave Sunday for Cedar Rapids Iowa to provide disaster relief services to flood victims.

My Alabama Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief team will take a mobile kitchen and emergency communications trailer to feed victims 35,000 meals per day and to provide radio communications to government agencies, disaster recovery providers and victims.

I will likely be in the disaster zone for three weeks and during that time will be tent camping with limited if any cellular or internet access.

During that time several folks will submit articles and I would like to get someone to edit and publish them as they come in rather than wait until my return.

edmanley@bham.rr.com

Thanks!

73 de W4AGA

good luck and God bless.

A trackable magazine?!? What a great idea! Feels like a future TB story in the making!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...56-09fef986cfd6

Thanks geos of the jungle!

Who mentioned a trackable magazine in this thread? :ph34r:

Care to address any of the questions or concerns voiced since your last appearance? :blink::unsure:

look, it's the unmistakable slime trail of the duplicitious double-dealing, backslapping, glad-handing, shill-planting, spam-sending snake-oil salesman!

unrelentingly cheerful with an odd penchant for taking criticisms as if they were public accolades.

i don't trust him, not as far as i could throw him while i was sitting on him.

...with a piano in my lap.

i'm reserving my comments in favor of civility.

edmanley@bham.rr.com

Thanks!

73 de W4AGA

good luck and God bless.

I've got it covered until he gets back.

El Diablo

I don't know anything about the iPhone but this; from the smittyware.com FAQ (makers of CacheMate)

Will there be a version for...

iPhone - Not very likely. The reason for this is the fact that one of the features thats make CacheMate stand out (open import/export capabilities through plugins) isn't possible with the restrictions that Apple is placing on third-party applications (no plugins, no working with other software on the phone, and no writing data that can be read by other software). It may be possible to implement the rest of CacheMate's functionality, but the chances that that will happen are... again... not very likely.

Blackberry - There are no current plans.

If the iPhone won't run CacheMate and it has the other limitations mentioned I would not think much of it as a caching tool!

FWIW, The Blackjack II will do all of those things.

Howdy Ed-

Still helping in the flood area? (I think that's awesome btw).

I agree about software applications, but the new iPhone, (set to be released next month) is supposed to have GPS capability, not just the wireless / cellular triangulation of the earlier model. I'm just curious to hear what people think of it. If it's good, bad, waste of time, greatest thing since sliced bread, etc ...

Howdy Ed-

Still helping in the flood area? (I think that's awesome btw).

I agree about software applications, but the new iPhone, (set to be released next month) is supposed to have GPS capability, not just the wireless / cellular triangulation of the earlier model. I'm just curious to hear what people think of it. If it's good, bad, waste of time, greatest thing since sliced bread, etc ...

I am back home now.

I was only in Iowa City for 8 days, by then they had cellular and Internet service up and no longer needed ham operators. The rest of my team is still there with the mobile kitchen, shower and laundry trailers and mud-out crews. They will be on site for quite a while.

Now I am recovering from a Brown Recluse spider bite that I got while up there! I had surgery yesterday, I have a big hole in my back packed with gauze, not fun!

It will be interesting to see if the new iPhone addresses those issues mentioned... I am a huge fan of CacheMate.

I look forward to reading the article.

I am quite happy with the articles that have been submitted!

It's just geocacher's sharing their stories, and that's all that I ever envisioned it to be.

Four new articles published this week, one giving readers a heads-up on an exciting new geocaching benchmark program.

It may not be slick and purty but it serves its purpose! :anitongue:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I have just found this magazine. It's published on pdf's, but are all in Danish:

I like a nice Danish, especially the orange ones, especially if they are fresh and the coffee is hot.

LOL :huh:

I also found a swedish one as well. Link

I'm lucky that I read both Danish and Swedish......