GEOCACHING MAGAZINE

I also got that email; funny how there is a bunch of discussion about this magazine and they make a public announcement. I wish they would have done a better job in keeping people informed; it certainly is easy enough these days to do with forums like this.

I also got another email from them today; I like this one better:

"Your credit card has been refunded $31.50 for your recent subscription to Geocacher Magazine as well as the gift subscription you purchased."

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

www.geocachermagazine.com

I honestly wish them the best; I hope they are able to make a go with a magazine devoted to Geocaching. If they had kept me better informed as to what was going on, and not made me do all the work finding out what the delays were, I most likely would still be on board with them ............... waiting ................... for that first issue ..................

Here is the latest I just got from them. I was told at least a month ago that the magazine would be in the mail next week. Hmmmm?

From: "Elisika Arango" <elisika@geocachermagazine.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

To: "Elisika Arango" <elisika@geocachermagazine.com>

Subject: Magazine Update

Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:27:32 -0700

Hello Fellow Cachers!

The weather is beautiful here finally and I hope to be able to log a few finds this weekend. Before I dust off my GPS I wanted to update all of you on your subscriptions.

First off thank you for your enthusiasm, well wishes and support. We have been so overwhelmed by everyone’s excitement and willingness to help. It has been incredibly valuable because we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Talk about a learning curve! I suppose in a year or so we will look back and laugh (I hope)!

Well, the big question most of you probably have is what happened to the Jan/Feb Premiere issue. Our question of course is what happened to January and February. Based on how long this has taken we have decided to make the Premiere issue Mar/Apr instead. I am excited to say it will be in the mail soon and I will send all of you an email when it goes to the post office so you can start checking your mailboxes. You will still be receiving the Geowoodstock program as well.

Because it has taken us sooo long and we are so appreciative of everyone’s patience we have decided to give everyone who subscribed before April 1st a free issue. Rather than 6 issues you will all be receiving 7 issues. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

We also want to let you know our website is in the process of being completely redesigned. We are very excited to have it go live and can’t wait for all of you to see it. There will be lots of opportunities for all of you to share your thoughts, pics and stories. Please check it in the few weeks and let us know how you like it.

We have met with the wonderful GeoWoodstock Committee and have lots of exciting plans in the works with them. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to meet many of you there. Please be sure to stop by and say hi if you are able to attend.

Thanks again!

Cache On!

Elisika Arango

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

So what's the word on the magazine idea? I was only able to read most of the posts on the first page and some from the second page, but then I can't read anymore. I'd love to help contribute articles. I'm not saying I'm a writer, but I am decent enough. I can definitly contribute to the NEWBIE section since I am new myself to the sport.

If whoever is in charge of this bad boy would let me know in what way I can help, please let me know. I'll be happy to be a volunteer article writer.

What about including sections of the magazine for: The most time spent on one cache, the number of DNF for one particular cache before finally finding it, How did you come up with your Geo-Name, etc.

Here is the latest I just got from them. I was told at least a month ago that the magazine would be in the mail next week. Hmmmm?

Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:27:32 -0700

Well, the big question most of you probably have is what happened to the Jan/Feb Premiere issue. Our question of course is what happened to January and February. Based on how long this has taken we have decided to make the Premiere issue Mar/Apr instead. I am excited to say it will be in the mail soon and I will send all of you an email when it goes to the post office so you can start checking your mailboxes. You will still be receiving the Geowoodstock program as well.

I just got two other magazines delivered to my house today. One my daughter subscribes to--I noticed it's the May edition of that magazine, the other is mine--and it's a May/June edition.

I mean, it is already April...a bit late for the Mar/April edition of anything to come out--they're already sold out on the news stands.

I am so glad I didn't pony up any cash for the magazine in question here. I'm with vtmtnman--I'd also like to see a photo of the actual geocaching magazine in someone's hand.

Anyone on the Geowoodstock committe really have any conversations with these folks? I notice they have a nice ad on the event page.

Edited by Neos2

Otay - Geocaching Online, a free magazine by and for geocachers, is alive!

This magazine will be run as a gift to the geocaching community... it's yours to do with as you wish.

Anyone can sign up to be an author and submit content, just send me an email or call me and I will create an Author account for you.

If anyone wants to help manage the magazine let me know and I will give you super-user privledges.

Anyone can sign up as a subscriber (just keep in mind that it's a work in progress... as of today there is no content!).

Submit a one-time article or set up a regular column, post news and event info, whatever you desire as long as it is family-friendly and geocaching-related.

Subscribe to Geocaching Online at http://geocachingonline.presspublisher.us/ and enjoy!

I am still considering using VBulletin, but want to try this publishing service first.

Since I am allowing anyone to post content, at least until that proves to be a bad idea, I reserve the right to delete without warning any content that I find distateful! Please keep it fun and family-friendly.

Ask and ye shall recieve - if y'all really want a free online place to publish your geocaching articles, here it is!

It is of course a bare-bones work in progress... there is no content until someone puts it there!

I am just learing to use this publishing software, between other chores, so if you have any issues logging in or submitting content call me and we'll figure it out!

Have fun,

Ed

205-914-6814

edmanley@bham.rr.com

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Subscribe to Geocaching Online at http://geocachingonline.presspublisher.us/ and enjoy!

Not to be confused with the blog geocaching online? http://www.geocachingonline.com/

That one appears to be from some Canadian cachers. Perhaps you should consider a different name so that people don't get confused when coming from search engines and such?

Not to be confused with the blog geocaching online? http://www.geocachingonline.com/

That one appears to be from some Canadian cachers. Perhaps you should consider a different name so that people don't get confused when coming from search engines and such?

Cool, I used to own the geocachingonline.com domain, I let it expire way back when I thought Today's Cacher was going to fly. I didn't know that anyone had picked that domain up. I was actually thinking of using it if this magazine works... oh well! :ph34r:

Yes, I will choose a different name.

I am using the free version of presspublisher.com's publishing software which only allows for a gig of online content, if this flies I will upgrade it to the next level for $19.95/month which allows 10 gig storage, file uploads and a private domain, so the name may even change again to match the domain IF this flies and people are willing to post articles.

Thanks for the heads-up!

EDIT TO ADD:

Lots of Geocacher and Geocaching stuff already exists, so I am naming the mag 'The Online Geocacher' and registered the domain onlinegeocacher.com. As soon as that domain propogates across the net I will move and rename the magazine.

what i REALLY want is a sharp professional quality publication with well-written and properly edited content and spiffy graphic design.

there's way too much "joe blow's geocaching ramblings" out there. (or, more critically: "joe blows geocache ramblins")

the mainstream media is geared toward people with a fourth-grade education. most writing i have seen regarding geoaching does not even rise to that level.

The link does not not take me to a functioning website. Looking forward to seeing this venture work.

Yup, as mentioned in the posts above that name, geocachingonline.com, is taken, so I changed it to a new domain I purchased today, onlinegeocacher.com and renamed the mag 'The Online Geocacher'. It will take perhaps 24 hours for that domain change to propogate through the system.

Thank you for your interest and patience.

what i REALLY want is a sharp professional quality publication with well-written and properly edited content and spiffy graphic design.

there's way too much "joe blow's geocaching ramblings" out there. (or, more critically: "joe blows geocache ramblins")

the mainstream media is geared toward people with a fourth-grade education. most writing i have seen regarding geoaching does not even rise to that level.

Well, hero, here's your chance to shine! The Online Geocacher will be whatever you make out of it!

Get to submittin'! :ph34r:

Perhaphs not everyone is on the same intellectual level as you,or myself.(Not to say we're on the same level,just two different folks/levels).I mean after breathing slate dust all day and killing my back,do I really want to try to read a geocaching magazine that's comparible to your college thesis?I can,but do I want to?I mean just from these forums (or any other online posting ranging from a forum post to a classified ad) some are hard pressed to know when to use their and there.

Edited by vtmtnman

Perhaphs not everyone is on the same intellectual level as you,or myself.(Not to say we're on the same level,just two different folks/levels).I mean after breathing slate dust all day and killing my back,do I really want to try to read a geocaching magazine that's comparible to your college thesis?I can,but do I want to?I mean just from these forums (or any other online posting ranging from a forum post to a classified ad) some are hard pressed to know when to use their and there.

Well, you're right. You can probably buy slick and pretty. Somewhere. Don't know where though.

Not from me, because I am a rough spoken 'just do it' kind of guy with nothing to sell.

I do have an undergrad minor in English with a double-major in Computer Science and Criminal Justice, but that certainly does not make me a polished writer... certainly not one that believes that I can tell other people's stories better by putting them in my words!

Besides, there is a good chance all that schooling was before you were born and I may not remember much of it.

I will try to use a spelling checker, if that helps.

These will be geocacher's stories in geocacher's words, with as little editing as possible.

That's all that I have to offer, if that's not to your liking I am sorry! :laughing:

The magazine will be whatever you geocachers make of it - you will provide the content... or not!

Well, hero, here's your chance to shine! The Online Geocacher will be whatever you make out of it!

Get to submittin'! :laughing:

i think you misunderstand me. i am not interested in posting my own geocaching adventures to a free-for-all sandbox, nor am i interested in reading such a thing.

i want a good, professional quality publication. that means good editorial oversight in addition to competent writing.

TOG will be whatever i make of it? i don't think so. if i got to "submittin'", it still wouldn't have professional quality writing nor would it have editorial oversight. if i want to see my own thoughts online, i'll post to a blog.

and i am sick to death of people who confuse my desire to see some attention to the standards of basic literacy with a desire for inaccessible, obfuscated mock erudition.

my college thesis? i beg your pardon. there's so much wrong with that, i don't even know where to start.

y'all keep asking what people want in a geocaching magazine. i want a stylish, literate, professional-grade magazine that combines thoughtful content with snappy delivery.

Today's Cacher spoiled you huh? :laughing:

I believe that TAR's concept has merit. All he needs is some help to make it a news source that will be fun and entertaining for the caching world. I've offered my help in whatever way he needs, and I hope others will match that offer.

El Diablo

Today's Cacher spoiled you huh? :laughing:

I believe that TAR's concept has merit. All he needs is some help to make it a news source that will be fun and entertaining for the caching world. I've offered my help in whatever way he needs, and I hope others will match that offer.

El Diablo

TC was the closest to it i've seen.

while the sandbox may have merit, when you put up a thing to which anyone can post, how is it very different than another forum?

Get to submittin'! :laughing:

i think you misunderstand me. i am not interested in posting my own geocaching adventures to a free-for-all sandbox, nor am i interested in reading such a thing.

i want a good, professional quality publication. that means good editorial oversight in addition to competent writing.

TOG will be whatever i make of it? i don't think so. if i got to "submittin'", it still wouldn't have professional quality writing nor would it have editorial oversight. if i want to see my own thoughts online, i'll post to a blog.

and i am sick to death of people who confuse my desire to see some attention to the standards of basic literacy with a desire for inaccessible, obfuscated mock erudition.

my college thesis? i beg your pardon. there's so much wrong with that, i don't even know where to start.

y'all keep asking what people want in a geocaching magazine. i want a stylish, literate, professional-grade magazine that combines thoughtful content with snappy delivery.

Nevermind.Just trying to bring others' points of view to the issue.

before you get all excited, i had a look and that online mag from the survey company. it's nice and professional and i think it will do well.

Which (What?) online mag from the survey company?

I'm going to make an assumption, Flask, that you are talking about us

Berntsen International Inc.

and if you are, thank you for the compliment. It's a lot of work putting just an online site together and my hat is off to all who try. Luckily for us we have had the help of Groundspeak forum members like Patty Winter and Larry Klementowski. Thank you for your hard work. Rhonda, Susan and I really appreciate it.

I will now re-commence lurker status.

Tim Klaben

Marketing Manager

Edited by survey marker

before you get all excited, i had a look and that online mag from the survey company. it's nice and professional and i think it will do well.

Which (What?) online mag from the survey company?

I'm going to make an assumption, Flask, that you are talking about us

and if you are, thank you for the compliment. It's a lot of work putting just an online site together and my hat is off to all who try. Luckily for us we have had the help of Groundspeak forum members like Patty Winter and Larry Klementowski. Thank you for your hard work. Rhonda, Susan and I really appreciate it.

I will now re-commence lurker status.

Tim Klaben

Marketing Manager

uh, yeah. that's you. your look is nice and spiffy and your writing is clean. i hope you can put out content to an extent that will make you worth reading.

I just got through this thread and it's interesting. I've wondered about a geocaching magazine, as I'd love to actually subscribe if there was a good one out there.

Then there's the other side -- the one where it's all online and take submissions from anyone. It's intriguing, but at the same time, I have to agree with a poster or two that I don't know how much I'd read it.

My thing is this -- when I read something, I want it to work. Not always on a message board, obviously, but in an article, yes. I want it to flow, I want it to have substance and I want it to make sense and transition well. I don't want just anyone telling me about an adventure and have it go all over the place.

That's what forums are for. That's what people expect most of the time.

In a magazine or an online mag, I want more.

A lot of this comes from doing it for a living. I work in newspapers and write daily for my paycheck.

I'm all for a magazine on Geocaching. If it had good content, I'd subscribe in an instant. But -- with print or online -- all it takes is one poorly written article for me to be turned off and not return. It doesn't have to be perfect (God knows I am FAR from it), but common things can't be done (there instead of their etc.) or it makes the article lose credibility.

I'll check out the new online mag. I'll hope that print one actually comes out. I'll look for good content and hope it's there to capture my attention.

All I encourage is this -- writing isn't something every can do. Just like I can't tear apart a transmission and put it back together, there are people who can't write. If people are encouraged to write, please at least think about your viewing audience. Remember that it's readers who actually make an article successful. Make sure you write for them, not yourself.

Good luck to anyone who actually gets these going. I'd like to see them all survive and do well.

Edited by softball29

I just got through this thread and it's interesting. I've wondered about a geocaching magazine, as I'd love to actually subscribe if there was a good one out there.

Then there's the other side -- the one where it's all online and take submissions from anyone. It's intriguing, but at the same time, I have to agree with a poster or two that I don't know how much I'd read it.

My thing is this -- when I read something, I want it to work. Not always on a message board, obviously, but in an article, yes. I want it to flow, I want it to have substance and I want it to make sense and transition well. I don't want just anyone telling me about an adventure and have it go all over the place.

A lot of this comes from doing it for a living. I work in newspapers and write daily for my paycheck.

I'm all for a magazine on Geocaching. If it had good content, I'd subscribe in an instant. But -- with print or online -- all it takes is one poorly written article for me to be turned off and not return. It doesn't have to be perfect (God knows I am FAR from it), but common things can't be done (there instead of their etc.) or it makes the article lose credibility.

I'll check out the new online mag. I'll hope that print one actually comes out. I'll look for good content and hope it's there to capture my attention.

All I encourage is this -- writing isn't something every can do. Just like I can't tear apart a transmission and put it back together, there are people who can't write. If people are encouraged to write, please at least think about your viewing audience. Remember that it's readers who actually make an article successful. Make sure you write for them, not yourself.

Good luck to anyone who actually gets these going. I'd like to see them all survive and do well.

Thanks for the input! I do take all commentary and advice into consideration.

The Online Geocacher will always and only be an online, free, fun place for geocachers to tell their stories. I have no platform or agenda to promote, thus it will never grow into a business with paid anything nor will it ever go to print. It won't be perfect, it will perhaps even be sloppy and amateur, but it will be one option among many that geocachers interested in sharing may choose.

You being in the publishing business I would implore you to write an article along the lines of "How to write for an online magazine" and submit it to The Online Geocacher.

If you wish to have further involvement I invite you to join our volunteer staff and continue to help guide this effort... I need all the guidance and help that I can get!

The Online Geocacher may fly, it may not... that will be up to the geocaching community to both provide and read the content.

I am not setting anything in stone as I am just learning how to do this, but I hope that it can be geocacher's stories pretty much in geocacher's words.

I know that I don't want to be in the re-write business, though I am glad to help with basic editing.

Basically geocachers asked for a magazine, I put one up... we'll see where it goes from there! :)

I think there may be a misconception here, or at least I hope so. I may be wrong, but from reading the web site and from having conversations with Ed, I don't believe he plans on publishing unedited articles. Or allowing articles to be published before he or a staff member looks them over.

Ed, if I'm wrong about this please let me know.

El Diablo

I think there may be a misconception here, or at least I hope so. I may be wrong, but from reading the web site and from having conversations with Ed, I don't believe he plans on publishing unedited articles. Or allowing articles to be published before he or a staff member looks them over.

Ed, if I'm wrong about this please let me know.

El Diablo

You are correct. All content will be read by myself or a magazine staff volunteer for suitability and errors in spelling, clarity, continuity, coherence and word choice. That's what I refer to as basic editing; things that make an article readable and enjoyable.

Editing for message content and tone such that we try to tell the writer's story the way we would have told it if we were writing it won't be done. That's what I mean by a geocacher's stories in the geocacher's words. I have submitted content to certain professional journals that I hardly recognized when it was published! Some editor decided that he could write better than I and re-wrote it his way. That will not happen here.

I do not want geocachers to feel inhibited by fears that their work is not up to snuff, or that they have to have a degree in English to write for The Online Geocacher.

On the other hand I do not want writers to be inhibited because they know that they don't write well and are afraid that their writing skills would embarrass them. We will try to find a middle ground where the writing reflects well on the author without making the story sound like we wrote it.

Content will be edited when it arrives and posted unpublished (hidden) to the magazine by the assigned editor. The writer will have a chance to read it and approve the changes; when writer and editor reach agreement the editor will check a 'Go Live' checkbox and the content will be published immediately.

A few minutes ago, I got an e-mail update from Elisika Arango of Geocacher Magazine:

Hello Fellow Cachers!

The weather is beautiful here finally and I hope to be able to log a few finds this weekend. Before I dust off my GPS I wanted to update all of you on your subscriptions.

First off thank you for your enthusiasm, well wishes and support. We have been so overwhelmed by everyone’s excitement and willingness to help. It has been incredibly valuable because we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Talk about a learning curve! I suppose in a year or so we will look back and laugh (I hope)!

Well, the big question most of you probably have is what happened to the Jan/Feb Premiere issue. Our question of course is what happened to January and February. Based on how long this has taken we have decided to make the Premiere issue Mar/Apr instead. I am excited to say it will be in the mail soon and I will send all of you an email when it goes to the post office so you can start checking your mailboxes. You will still be receiving the Geowoodstock program as well. Because it has taken us sooo long and we are so appreciative of everyone’s patience we have decided to give everyone who subscribed before April 1st a free issue. Rather than 6 issues you will all be receiving 7 issues. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

We also want to let you know our website is in the process of being completely redesigned. We are very excited to have it go live and can’t wait for all of you to see it. There will be lots of opportunities for all of you to share your thoughts, pics and stories. Please check it in the few weeks and let us know how you like it.

We have met with the wonderful GeoWoodstock Committee and have lots of exciting plans in the works with them. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to meet many of you there. Please be sure to stop by and say hi if you are able to attend.

Thanks again!

Cache On!

Elisika Arango

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

Still waiting for my premiere issue ....

--Larry

Just curious if anyone has received this magazine yet?

El Diablo

Just as info for the community, The Online Geocacher has published all of the content that has been submitted to date.

If you want your content published, send it in!

For all the talk here about wanting a magazine I am amazed at how few will send anything in once a free one is created for you!

Problem is, most people want to read, not write. Also, I think more people want to read a true magazine, not just an online thing.

I had been meaning to respond back to this thread for a while and kept putting it off. I'll likely get back to it again soon, once I have a little more time to collect my thoughts.

That being said, if there's a free online magazine, I'd personally rather see it come out at certain times (once a week, once every two weeks, once a month etc.) and have the articles not only be online, but maybe have something in a PDF file so people could download and print.

By doing it on a set schedule, more people might be interested to check it out. That, and, well, there needs to be good writers. I haven't really read your online mag yet, so I can't comment on the writers. But I'll be checking it out soon, just for my own curiosity.

On another note -- the Geocaching Magazine. Someone this weekend told me they had subscribed and said they hadn't heard from the magazine. I'm wondering if the magazine will come out at all. If anyone sees these folks at Geowoodstock and can get an answer, I'd be interested. I'd personally like to purchase one copy when it comes out to see if I am willing to shell out the $$$ for it.

Problem is, most people want to read, not write.

Me too! But I think people have stories to tell and want to tell them. I hear great stories at every event I attend. I still believe that folks will write once they become comfortable with the idea of what The Online Geocacher is doing. Those who don't want to write are welcome to read!

Also, I think more people want to read a true magazine, not just an online thing.

I certainly hope that someone develops a "true magazine" for geocaching... I certainly would read it. The Online Geocacher will always be "just an online thing", however; a free online resource for anyone who wants to use it.

That being said, if there's a free online magazine, I'd personally rather see it come out at certain times (once a week, once every two weeks, once a month etc.)

Once we have substantial content submissions we may go to editions... at this time with one or two articles a month submitted we'll publish it as it comes in.

and have the articles not only be online, but maybe have something in a PDF file so people could download and print.

Excellent suggestion! Will do.

there needs to be good writers. I haven't really read your online mag yet, so I can't comment on the writers. But I'll be checking it out soon, just for my own curiosity.

The writers are the voices of the geocaching community... they are who they are! We will do minor editing but will not re-write anyone's work, and are not in the business of writing original content. We just publish what gets sent in.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I thought I sent an article about one person's method of camo'ing an ammo can. I didn't hear back, and figured it must've had too many pics? Maybe?

(or maybe I just stink at writing) ;)

I do not have it in my email, and do not remember having seen it... please send it again! I may have accidently deleted it, if so I apologize!

Ed

May 7th, Geowoodstock not far away, we from the East Coast will leave early....and no magazine in the mail. Just wondering what is happening here?

A 7th issue is wonderful but I wonder when the issues will start. Anyone else wondering?

May 7th, Geowoodstock not far away, we from the East Coast will leave early....and no magazine in the mail. Just wondering what is happening here?

A 7th issue is wonderful but I wonder when the issues will start. Anyone else wondering?

Not me. I don't have money riding on the outcome.

I think it mayyyyy happen. Maybe the publisher wants to make a BIG splash at GW6..... :D

They gotta be feelin' the pressure..... :D:D

Not me. I don't have money riding on the outcome.

I think it mayyyyy happen. Maybe the publisher wants to make a BIG splash at GW6..... :D

They gotta be feelin' the pressure..... :D:D

It's so very curious that they haven't come back in here to give another update, though. After all, they were once so very vocal here. If it were my good name on the line I would have done that anyway. I'd at least explain why the March April issue that was promised to replace the Jan/Feb issue isn't out yet as of May.

Edited by Neos2

I sent an email a week or two back to Geocaching Magazine asking for an update on their deliveries. So far I've had no repsonse from them ;) I feel they are in over their heads, or they have scammed us all. :huh: Luckily my expense lost is only $18.47. Sadly, that is the exact amount I could have applied to swag or cache containers that I would now have in possession and could use.

I'll continue to check my mailbox each day for Geocaching Magazine. If it ever arrives, I'll be hard pressed to want to renew a subscription.

I sent an email a week or two back to Geocaching Magazine asking for an update on their deliveries. So far I've had no repsonse from them ;) I feel they are in over their heads, or they have scammed us all. :huh: Luckily my expense lost is only $18.47. Sadly, that is the exact amount I could have applied to swag or cache containers that I would now have in possession and could use.

I'll continue to check my mailbox each day for Geocaching Magazine. If it ever arrives, I'll be hard pressed to want to renew a subscription.

He might be in over his head, well actually he probably is since he has missed his publishing dates.

My personal opinion is that he is probably trying to get advertisers to pony up. He's a Gold Sponser for GW6 which he had to lay out 2,500.00 for, so I just don't believe it's a scam.

I think he's miscalulated both his ad revenue, and his subscribers. I say that with the experience of someone that has been there, and done that. Of course as I said starting off, that's my opinion.

El Diablo

I sent an email a week or two back to Geocaching Magazine asking for an update on their deliveries. So far I've had no repsonse from them :o I feel they are in over their heads, or they have scammed us all. :o Luckily my expense lost is only $18.47. Sadly, that is the exact amount I could have applied to swag or cache containers that I would now have in possession and could use.

He might be in over his head, well actually he probably is since he has missed his publishing dates.

My personal opinion is that he is probably trying to get advertisers to pony up. He's a Gold Sponser for GW6 which he had to lay out 2,500.00 for, so I just don't believe it's a scam.

I think he's miscalulated both his ad revenue, and his subscribers. I say that with the experience of someone that has been there, and done that. Of course as I said starting off, that's my opinion.

El Diablo

I think you hit the nail on the head Jerry.

I wonder if the GW6 folks have tried to cash the check..... ;)

That Gold Sponsorship is why I still think it mayyy happen. I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks..... :huh:

Just as info for the community, The Online Geocacher has published all of the content that has been submitted to date.

If you want your content published, send it in!

For all the talk here about wanting a magazine I am amazed at how few will send anything in once a free one is created for you!

Great articles so far TAR! I would have loved to leave a comment on the Tabern Rock story by Evil Chicken.

It really reminded me of a similar search in West VA we made with my Uncle. Also looking for a Table rock. And now I think there is a cache nearby. I'll have to check.

-J

I sent an email a week or two back to Geocaching Magazine asking for an update on their deliveries. So far I've had no repsonse from them :D I feel they are in over their heads, or they have scammed us all. :D Luckily my expense lost is only $18.47. Sadly, that is the exact amount I could have applied to swag or cache containers that I would now have in possession and could use.

El Diablo

I don't know how it works with print media, but with online advertising, it is not uncommon to sell ads on credit. Basically, an agent comes in and buys ad space and then has to bill the actual advertiser. Then, once the agent gets the money, it gets funneled to the publication. On one of my own sites, it can take up to 4-6 months sometimes for me to see the money from an ad sold on credit.

So, if it is similar with print publications, unless the magazine had a lot of seed money (I don't get the impression that this one did), then it likely can't actually print until it is paid. I doubt that subscription money would cover the cost of printing and mailing. Presumably once the first issue was out, there would be enough left over though to seed the next issues and it would all eventually catch up.

That is just a theory, but if true, then I would cut them a bit of a break because this is a hobbyist type of publication. It isn't the type of thing that can likely raise venture capital and such.

Edited by carleenp

I sent an email a week or two back to Geocaching Magazine asking for an update on their deliveries. So far I've had no repsonse from them :D I feel they are in over their heads, or they have scammed us all. :D Luckily my expense lost is only $18.47. Sadly, that is the exact amount I could have applied to swag or cache containers that I would now have in possession and could use.

El Diablo

I don't know how it works with print media, but with online advertising, it is not uncommon to sell ads on credit. Basically, an agent comes in and buys ad space and then has to bill the actual advertiser. Then, once the agent gets the money, it gets funneled to the publication. On one of my own sites, it can take up to 4-6 months sometimes for me to see the money from an ad sold on credit.

So, if it is similar with print publications, unless the magazine had a lot of seed money (I don't get the impression that this one did), then it likely can't actually print until it is paid. I doubt that subscription money would cover the cost of printing and mailing. Presumably once the first issue was out, there would be enough left over though to seed the next issues and it would all eventually catch up.

That is just a theory, but if true, then I would cut them a bit of a break because this is a hobbyist type of publication. It isn't the type of thing that can likely raise venture capital and such.

You learn something everyday they say. I didn't know that about credit or agents. Where were you when I needed you most? Just teasing. You were a great help to Today's Cacher.

Knowing the cost of printed publication, I can't see giving credit unless, as you pointed out there is a lot of seed money. Also like you, I don't see this indicated.

I also know advertisers express interest, but when it comes time to pay up...all of a sudden their budget is done for the year, and your not in that budget.

El Diablo

Has anyone subscribed to this new Geocacher Magazine? I have, and wonder if I'm being scammed! The original issue was supposed to be out in Jan/Feb. They then sent an update, that there were delays and that the new issue date would be Mar/Apr instead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is now almost the end of May and no Geocacher Magazine has arrived at my doorstep! Am I alone on this one???

I would have loved to leave a comment on the Tabern Rock story by Evil Chicken.
I don't see a comment system there either. As for leaving a comment for the above story, you can where the story was originally published.

I am still pondering a comment mechanism for content. The Online Geocacher Magazine is a place where anyone can publish, regardless of language or writing skills, and the last thing I want are comments attacking the writers which might discourage anyone from submitting.

It's sort of a hard call... do I publish just comments that say 'great article, thank you' and not publish 'man, your writing sux'? Publish all feedback on content regardless of whether it is positive or negative? Just don't know what I will do on that, for now it will be published without reader comment.

Please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to submit commentary regarding the magazine itself. I may or may not publish that feedback, I have not decided yet.

I would have loved to leave a comment on the Tabern Rock story by Evil Chicken.
I don't see a comment system there either. As for leaving a comment for the above story, you can where the story was originally published.

I am still pondering a comment mechanism for content. The Online Geocacher Magazine is a place where anyone can publish, regardless of language or writing skills, and the last thing I want are comments attacking the writers which might discourage anyone from submitting.

It's sort of a hard call... do I publish just comments that say 'great article, thank you' and not publish 'man, your writing sux'? Publish all feedback on content regardless of whether it is positive or negative? Just don't know what I will do on that, for now it will be published without reader comment.

Please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to submit commentary regarding the magazine itself. I may or may not publish that feedback, I have not decided yet.

Have to be honest here -- as someone who writes for a living -- if you can't take negative feedback or criticism, you shouldn't be doing it, no matter if it's free on a website or paid. If you are putting yourself out there as a writer, you need to be able to take people saying they like your writing or people saying they don't like it. It's all part of the process.

If I had a buck for every e-mail or call I got saying how much they hated what I wrote or covered or whatever, I'd have quite a few dollars. And it's also true that people that like your stuff usually won't go out of their way to say so, but the few who e-mail, call or send mail saying so, it's worth all the negative stuff.

Writing requires having thick skin. Even if it's a free online magazine.