GEOCACHING MAGAZINE

Not to be a fly in the ointment but...

Why should a geocacher buy a magazine when there are internet forums like this one?

Most geocachers would not read a magazine with weeks-old articles when up-to-date information can be easily found on sites like Groundspeak.

My first reaction to this was "You really can't see the difference between a magazine and a forum?" but then I got to thinking about it, print magazines are dying as content moves online, so you may have a point!

That said, my subcriptions to Readers Digest, Field & Stream, National Geographic, car & driver and others all have links to online content... I read the print magazine every month but rarely if ever the online contet.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The 18 pages were interesting. It kinda reminded me of a nature/science magazine I used to get as a kid.

The puzzle and jokes page was cute.

Would be cool if there was a way to nominate the puzzle from a cache to be put into the magazine for other folks to try- other than those local to the puzzle anyway. With a how-to-solve explanation as well. :unsure:

I'll predict 4 issues before in-fighting and complaints pull it into oblivion. :ph34r:

-J

A mag would be good and bad. Muggles could subscribe and learn about how to look up caches then find them and muggle them. But yes we have enough cachers for one. :ph34r::unsure:

There are already "muggles" that log on to the site for free and create accounts just to learn the locations and go muggle the caches.

I doubt any thug muggles would pay for a subscription just to learn more about geocaching so they could "muggle" more successfully.

I just don't believe that is a factor of concern.

(My two cents worth.)

Why should a geocacher buy a magazine when there are internet forums like this one?

Most geocachers would not read a magazine with weeks-old articles when up-to-date information can be easily found on sites like Groundspeak.

My first reaction to this was "You really can't see the difference between a magazine and a forum?" but then I got to thinking about it, print magazines are dying as content moves online, so you may have a point!

That said, my subcriptions to Readers Digest, Field & Stream, National Geographic, car & driver and others all have links to online content... I read the print magazine every month but rarely if ever the online contet.

I've given this significant thought as well. I will support this in any format that it comes out in because I think anyone expending this much energy to promote all things Geocaching is a positive and welcome endevour. I do wish people would be more supportive and not so critical out of the blocks. It is not like there are a lot of choices available.

Not that this was put up for a vote but an online publication does make sense because Geocaching has a home on the internet. Your audience is already online and used to extracting information in this way. Probably the biggest appeal is that you can reach a lot more people at a much lower price too. As for me, I read constantly and I'd say 90% comes from my computer.

As for comparing Groundspeak to an online publication... please. It's a great place to get information but how many times have you heard that Groundspeak is not the pulse of Geocaching because it is a shark tank? Good information is available, no question, but you've got to do a ton of panning to getting to the nuggets and rarely is a subject is covered as comprehensively as a publication would cover it.

The sample looks pretty good. On the positive side, I see ads which bode well for the future of the mag. Probably the biggest problem with Today's Cacher was generating revenue.

As far as the naysayers here, who cares who writes it? Who cares who is on the staff? If it's an interesting magazine that stuff is irrelevant to me.

Instead of putting it down based on a 6 page sample of a 60+ page issue, why not give it a chance? I really don't understand the antipathy.

I agree. Based on some of the comments here, when I went to look at the sample I was expecting something horrible. But I thought it looked fine. I'm not in love with the subscription price, but I also am all in favor of supporting a startup magazine for caching, so I will likely end up subscribing.

I have a personal creed. I never EVER support a company that spams. I know LOTS of people feel the same way.

They spammed everyone over the summer about this mag (see page 3 of this thread) and now they appear to be doing it again. Won't be getting any money from me.

Amen. I logged onto this forum specifically to voice my opinion on that subject. I not only resent the fact that this individual has emailed many of us individually, but I highly dislike the fraudulent nature of their application to my local geocaching listserv. It isn't that they sent unsolicited marketing emails to my group, but that they did it under the guise of an actual, honest interest in my local caching association -- their only *interest* was selling more overpriced ad space and generating additional magazine subscriptions. That flies in the face of our listserv spirit, and attempts to exploit and commercialize our local geocaching groups -- I really don't like that.

But going back to what was said earlier, under no circumstances will I *EVER* support an organization or individual who seeks to promote themselves through SPAM emails. The problem with SPAM is far too grave, and contributing to the problem is unacceptable. Geocaching Magazine should seek to market itself through legit means; e.g., ad placement on GC.com (Duh!), Google Adwords, et al.

SPAM is NEVER an acceptable method of marketing.

Edited by bhoard

Thanks Paul for the calming words;

"This has gotten way past ridiculous. I hate spam as much as anybody. Maybe more. My family and friends know I can rant about it for hours. That said:

This was a targeted notice.

Sent to people who clearly have declared an interest in the subject at hand.

It was done politely, without any hype. Just a simple notice.

I didn't join this group to listen to ranting. It surely doesn't improve MY geocaching life!

Can we all please just let this minor incident drop? It ain't that big a deal.

Thanks,

Paul H"

The funny thing is that we are VERY interested in the various geocaching groups and organizations! We were first approached through one of these online groups by the SAGA (San Antonio Geocaching Association) ... after they had read our so-called 'spam' posting ... because they were excited about the magazine! We have since provided a Free Subscription to them for their Holiday event drawing and will be featuring them in our Premiere Issue! All with nothing in return, no promises of subscriptions, no ad sales ... nothing. Can't please everybody I suppose!

Edited by Geocacher Magazine

The funny thing is that we are VERY interested in the various geocaching groups and organizations! We were first approached through one of these online groups by the SAGA (San Antonio Geocaching Association) because they were excited about the magazine - we have since provided a Free Subscription to them for their Holiday event drawing and will be featuring them in our Premiere Issue! All with noting in return, no promises of subscriptions, no ad sales ... nothing. Can't please everybody I suppose!

Disagree with me if you will, but the ONLY means by which you came into contact with *my* email address was by harvesting it from our local geocaching listserv. I have 3 posts (now!) on this forum and have otherwise NEVER come in contact with you, or requested any such information. Now I know that statement smacks of "just being difficult" but I feel that our private association listservs have been violated by you.

Now, had you joined our list strictly for the purpose of keeping a finger on the pulse of local geocaching associations, then that's one thing and I would whole heartedly support you in that endeavor. But your intentions to join *my* local group appear to be more in line with SPAM marketing; in this case, your actions speak louder than your words via the SPAM generated on 12/23 and 12/24.

If nothing else, its the perceived intent of your interest in our local associations that concerns me, and the fact that you've potentially cracked the door to *more* "direct marketing" on our private channels. These local groups are not commercial in nature, nor should they be bridled with any intent of personal gain. In most cases, these groups bear this disclaimer in bold print, right up front. You have to AGREE to that purpose prior to joining; I know this is in place with my local group at the very least, so it should not have come at any surprise.

But more to the point, please *CONTRIBUTE* to the local association listserv discussions or lurk quietly if you're only interested in reporting on our activities within your magazine. That shifts the purpose of your membership entirely, and we would not even be having this discussion. In time, if we (as local geocachers) ASK for the information about the magazine once we actually DO have an established report, then it would be appropriate to send it along.

Now, please know that I'm *very pleased* to hear that you've developed a positive relationship with one local group in California after they reached out to you. But don't use our listservs to market or assume that we want the commercials; and surely don't abuse our spaces to harvest contact details to "target" us individually for direct, unsolicited email marketing.

Respect is all we're asking for.

Again, good luck on the magazine.

Edit: Pardon me; I have a total of four posts to date on the GC forums.

Edited by bhoard
I've given this significant thought as well. I will support this in any format that it comes out in because I think anyone expending this much energy to promote all things Geocaching is a positive and welcome endevour. I do wish people would be more supportive and not so critical out of the blocks. It is not like there are a lot of choices available.

Not that this was put up for a vote but an online publication does make sense because Geocaching has a home on the internet. Your audience is already online and used to extracting information in this way. Probably the biggest appeal is that you can reach a lot more people at a much lower price too. As for me, I read constantly and I'd say 90% comes from my computer.

As for comparing Groundspeak to an online publication... please. It's a great place to get information but how many times have you heard that Groundspeak is not the pulse of Geocaching because it is a shark tank? Good information is available, no question, but you've got to do a ton of panning to getting to the nuggets and rarely is a subject is covered as comprehensively as a publication would cover it.

I wonder if the geocaching community is large enough to support a traditional publication. How many subscribers would be needed to to support a magazine? 100, 1000, 10000? Many geacachers may thumb through such a magazine in say, a doctor's office but I doubt many will pay for the right to do so, especially since there are other ways to get information free from the web.

An weblog may be a more viable route, however.

I wonder if the geocaching community is large enough to support a traditional publication. How many subscribers would be needed to to support a magazine? 100, 1000, 10000? Many geacachers may thumb through such a magazine in say, a doctor's office but I doubt many will pay for the right to do so, especially since there are other ways to get information free from the web.

I am always amazed at the tons of magazines found in every grocery store, convenience store, book store and newspaper stand in the world.

I always think to myself "All of this information can be found in the internet for free" but there it is...the multi-billion dollar magazine industry that produces rags for practically any subject one can imagine.

I'd love to see a geocaching mag added to the fray.

There's things like PodCacher out there. They are like a Geocaching Magazing but in audio format. No actual written words. But, they do the same thing. To make a magazing you would need to do the same thing as theyre doing but write it down. And who says it has to be a huge 100 page book. Something small. I know I'd buy it. :anibad:

There's things like PodCacher out there. They are like a Geocaching Magazing but in audio format. No actual written words. But, they do the same thing. To make a magazing you would need to do the same thing as theyre doing but write it down. And who says it has to be a huge 100 page book. Something small. I know I'd buy it. :anibad:

I like Podcacher. I also like Icenrye's geocaching audiozine. These are both cool podcasts.

I still think there is plenty of room for a monthly or bi-monthly mag. There is a lot more material to cover and it won't be like the same stories are covered by all the different mediums out there.

I will say that I am willing to pay less than $20 for a magazine subscription. As some have said, pay more for some coins and then they go missing. I am sure that there will be articles that would interest everyone and hopefully involve various locations/caches of interests around the world.

So with that said, I'm going to order my magazine and then share it with the local cachers at the next meeting so they can see firsthand what it's all about. Might even see if I can get a subscription donated for the auction at our upcoming event!

So .... no need in bashing the magazine. If you don't care to subscribe, then don't. If you think you might like it, order it, read it, and decide if it's something you would continue your subscription on.

I for one have been waiting for a geocaching print magazine to come along. I can't wait to get one. I'm sure if they allow geocachers from everwhere to submit articles, show letters to editors, feature popular cachers in the forums and in other local areas, submit puzzles or what ever I'm sure they will become extremely successful.

I for one have been waiting for a geocaching print magazine to come along. I can't wait to get one. I'm sure if they allow geocachers from everwhere to submit articles, show letters to editors, feature popular cachers in the forums and in other local areas, submit puzzles or what ever I'm sure they will become extremely successful.

giggle.gif

Don't mind me. Move along...nothing to see here.

giggle.gif

Don't mind me. Move along...nothing to see here.

:D:huh::ph34r:;);):D

I do not look to a "geocaching magazine" as my source of up-to-date information.

I look to a "geocaching magazine" for indepth articles and other things that, quite honestly, I DON'T expect to see on an internet forum. When it comes to the quality of articles, I expect to see that in magazines (and certain on-line sources), but NOT a forum.

FWIW while everyone is arguing the merits of the attempts and problems inherent in starting a magazine and the credentials of those involved a leader in the field of GPS and surveying has gone ahead and started a magazine called "Caching Now" it can be read at Caching Now. The force behind it is Berntsoen International and it includes room for amateurs and someof us professionals in the GPS hardware and surveing business. I am merely a reader and have no commercial interest in tis rag but who knows you might find a kernal of information that may be of interest. Now I'll just crawl back into my cave!

Happy New Year!

Canada - Yes! ..... Germany - Yes! ..... Australia - Yes! ..... Anywhere - Yes!

Subscription page has been modified to allow for "Outside the US" orders (because we were getting so many requests).

Also - CachingNow ... Great Resource / Great People ... so much so that we'll be featuring them in an upcoming issue!

-MJ / GeoMag

Future Questions Note: In consideration that this is Groundspeak's Forum, (not GeoMag's - we don't have one), please direct any future questions directly to me at the magazine. mike@geocachermagazine.com

Cache On!

Edited by Geocacher Magazine

FWIW while everyone is arguing the merits of the attempts and problems inherent in starting a magazine and the credentials of those involved a leader in the field of GPS and surveying has gone ahead and started a magazine called "Caching Now" it can be read at Caching Now. The force behind it is Berntsoen International and it includes room for amateurs and someof us professionals in the GPS hardware and surveing business. I am merely a reader and have no commercial interest in tis rag but who knows you might find a kernal of information that may be of interest. Now I'll just crawl back into my cave!

Competition is a gooood thang. Glad to see it. :unsure:

When I started this Question I never thought it would never lead to such negativity towards the one person who actually decided to make a magazine. I am glad that he actually just went and did it instead of wasting all his time complaining about what the pros and cons are about it or who would run it. WHO CARES

A cacher friend of mine was going to order it but decided to wait until the sight was secure, and now that it is he plans on ordering it. After he gets a chance to look at it he will let me borrow it and then I will decide if I want to get it.

What is 18 bucks on a mag. NOTHING!!!! I have spent that much on geocache set ups. That's not including time, gas, containers, and time spent writing up the listings.

If you don't want it, DONT order it. If you want it ORDER IT.

I just want to say thank you MJ for your valiant effort in creating a mag that I hope everyone will enjoy. If it is something that I think I will enjoy when I see the first publication I will order it to support the mag.

I am going to ask that this topic be closed. If some one else wants to open up a "BASH THE MAG" topic then go ahead, it will not be done under my name.

The topic has gotten way off the subject of its intended thought and if no one can stick to it then fine. It just showes that some people have no intention of being supportive of an idea, yet they chose to bash it because they could not complete the goal before some one else did and that just makes you mad.

Just know that for every 1 person that says they will not buy the mag there are probably between 5 and 10 that will buy it.

There are a lot of cachers that do not even bother with the forums in GS any more because of the negativity that the few cachers have to put in on topics that only ask for simple answers.

In local group forums that are for local areas, there is very little bickering and the mass negativity that goes on like in the forums here. WHY? because every one knows who's who and has the chance to that person at an event near them, and doesn't want the confrontation in front of other cachers that will arise because of what they said online. Is it just me or does no one remember the saying that moms gave us when we were little, IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT SOMEONE OR SOMETHING, DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.....

If you agree with what I have said Thank you, If you now want to bash what I have said then to bad, open up a new thread called "BASH THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T BASH"

genegene,

Gene R Goebel

When I started this Question I never thought it would never lead to such negativity towards the one person who actually decided to make a magazine. I am glad that he actually just went and did it instead of wasting all his time complaining about what the pros and cons are about it or who would run it. WHO CARES

A cacher friend of mine was going to order it but decided to wait until the sight was secure, and now that it is he plans on ordering it. After he gets a chance to look at it he will let me borrow it and then I will decide if I want to get it.

What is 18 bucks on a mag. NOTHING!!!! I have spent that much on geocache set ups. That's not including time, gas, containers, and time spent writing up the listings.

If you don't want it, DONT order it. If you want it ORDER IT.

I just want to say thank you MJ for your valiant effort in creating a mag that I hope everyone will enjoy. If it is something that I think I will enjoy when I see the first publication I will order it to support the mag.

I am going to ask that this topic be closed. If some one else wants to open up a "BASH THE MAG" topic then go ahead, it will not be done under my name.

The topic has gotten way off the subject of its intended thought and if no one can stick to it then fine. It just showes that some people have no intention of being supportive of an idea, yet they chose to bash it because they could not complete the goal before some one else did and that just makes you mad.

Just know that for every 1 person that says they will not buy the mag there are probably between 5 and 10 that will buy it.

There are a lot of cachers that do not even bother with the forums in GS any more because of the negativity that the few cachers have to put in on topics that only ask for simple answers.

In local group forums that are for local areas, there is very little bickering and the mass negativity that goes on like in the forums here. WHY? because every one knows who's who and has the chance to that person at an event near them, and doesn't want the confrontation in front of other cachers that will arise because of what they said online. Is it just me or does no one remember the saying that moms gave us when we were little, IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT SOMEONE OR SOMETHING, DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.....

If you agree with what I have said Thank you, If you now want to bash what I have said then to bad, open up a new thread called "BASH THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T BASH"

genegene,

Gene R Goebel

I don't understand this post at all. I;ve seen some questons asked. I've seen complaints about spam. I've also seen a lot of support for a new magazine. There have been some negative posts, but that's expected no matter what the subject here in the fourms. There is even one from you. I quote...

"After reading up on the posts I am now a little concerned myself. I am writing up an article that I hope would appear each month. But after reading the post from Geocacher mag my concerns are that now there is no real articles, just submissions from geocachers about anything. If this is the case I don't want any involvement, that is not saying that I wont read some of the articles. I do not want to waist my time writing something that will not even be looked at. I would like to see a magazine that has some "meet on its bone" and not something like a log in a cache. Is this magazine going to be online or in print? haven't figured that one out yet either. Will it be free or paid subscription? the other thing that urkis me is the way you said this:

"Unlike others, I am not looking for submissions or volunteers. We have enough content, stories and photos to keep us busy for more than a year. We are averaging 213 emails a day and the only "friction" to date is HERE ... on this forum.

Why did I get an e-mail asking for help? Who is us? Is there a staff involved already? Will they have features in them? continuing stories?

As the leader of this magazine, will you be the editor? If yes, your shadow would not be a shadow for long, the reason is, every newspaper and magazine I have ever read has an article somewhere in it (from the editor). Did you not plan on writing one?

As an active member of Geocaching.com I have no problem catching slack from my piers about anything I write in these forums. There are some well known names in these forums that have been around a lot longer then you or I put together. I look forward to there comments, be it positive or negative. We need to learn from our elders, IE.. some of the original cachers. They have seen the game change with leaps and bounds since 2001. Please do not alienate them.

On another note when you said quote:

"I go through extensive training concerning child safety and my past hesitation was that my children are in my profile pics, but ... oh well, they are cachers too!"

That is something you should have taken into consideration when taking on this task. There are always going to be F-ing losers out there, and I worry about that along with you. You can choose to keep your personal life in or out of geocaching as you do please. No one is asking you to bring them into any topic here in the forums.

As you can tell most of the geocachers here know each other quite well and who's who when scrolling through the posts. Yes we all disagree about certain topics but we are all committed to one thing, Seeing Geocaching.com grow. And in this forum 98% want to see a magazine.

I along with others want to see a magazine about geocaching, but don't want it to be one sided and all about the money. If Geocaching.com wanted to they could make it so everyone had to pay to play, and make there own magazine, and it would probably be a very good one at that. They have the resources and the advertisers in place and could easily find more if they chose to do so. They are a group of hard working volunteers and some paid I'm sure, that make this game possible for all of us for free.

This post was not meant to through mud in you face, discredit your endeavors, or hope you fail. I just wanted to state my opinions on how I felt about your post. Please do not take this the wrong way. I hope that you will reply to mine and others Questions on how you will operate Geocacher Magazine. We all have suggestions about different things and hope to see in the magazine. We only want what is best for this game we love so much. Like I stated in the beginning of the topic "no one is right or wrong here, no fighting."

End quote.

Why are you wanting to close this topic? Also how has it gotten off subject? Where is the bashing? Did I miss something here?

El Diablo

Well here it is almost mid April and this magazine has yet to be published. I signed up for a year for myself and a gift subscription for a friend of mine in early March. Every time I call their office to find out the status, all I get is excuses. The latest was a reply to an email I sent them about my growing frustration about not seeing any kind of anything from Geocaching Magazine. Elisika Arango told me I would be getting an email this week about the "Official" launch of the premier issue. How many months have they been advertising on forums for subscriptions? How much money have they collected from people? I paid by American Express, and if I do not hear anything encouraging from them by Sunday, I shall be contacting American Express and alerting them of a fraudulent charge due to product not being delivered. If any others have paid for a subscrition, you can reach them at 775-828-9915. Sometimes a man will answer, sometimes a woman will take the call. This phone is forwarded from time to time to the cell phone of the man that answers (I have talked to him while he was picking up his kids from school).

I hate to bash people, but my gut tells me we will never see this magazine (Geocacher Magazine) come to publication.

Edited by Scooter38401

Awww, he's probably just busy with all the other little things he does.

Profile:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/b4b/206

Publisher of Geocacher Magazine

February 2007 — Present (1 year 3 months)

International print publication for the high-tech sport / hobby of GPS Treasure Hunting aka; Geocaching.

President of RDGA

Membership in the RDGA is now OPEN. $40 per year for adults, $25 for Jr. Members (under 18 yrs. old),

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_8g0r2v

Also Does Business As:Golden Eagle; Gel Shotz

SIC:Nondurable Goods, NEC

Line of Business:Whol Advertising Specialties Mfg Screen Printer & Embroidery Specialties

Interviews in other online magazines:

http://www.rlifemagazine.com/april08/features/geocaching.php

And don't forget his interest in scouting!

didn't you recognize a snake oil salesman at the outset?

unlike some other more reputable rags that happened to go bust, this huckster spammed mailing lists, made lots and lots of promises and gladhanded everyone that had a hand.

i miss the old days when the worst i could say about a caching rag was that it was too much of a gc.com mouthpiece for my taste.

i'm downright hostile to the unblinking frozen visage of half-truth piled upon empty promises.

(uncharitable comments self-edited)

didn't you recognize a snake oil salesman at the outset?

unlike some other more reputable rags that happened to go bust, this huckster spammed mailing lists, made lots and lots of promises and gladhanded everyone that had a hand.

i miss the old days when the worst i could say about a caching rag was that it was too much of a gc.com mouthpiece for my taste.

i'm downright hostile to the unblinking frozen visage of half-truth piled upon empty promises.

(uncharitable comments self-edited)

I'm just glad I didn't waste my money.

WOW! I'm a geoprophet. :)

Barely in time for the Holidays, check out the long awaited Geocacher Magazine!

The perfect gift for any caching enthusiast! Whether its for you or an addicted fellow cacher. Gift subscriptions available at 25% off!

View the online sample at: http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=prrpt

then go to http://www.geocachermagazine.com to subscribe!

Don't miss a single issue!

Happy Holidays from the Geomag staff!

P.S. Bare with us, the "Take A Peek" link to the digital sample will be active from our web page in the next few days; when our programmer gets back from Christmas caching with his kids.

Umm, I saw lots of ads, big pictures and very little content of interest to me. :P

At $18 for 6 issues of what I saw in the sample..... your balloon is leaking. :huh:

I'd be happy to invest a few bucks in a couple copies of the first issue, but beyond that it's wait and see. :unsure:

Who is doing the writing?

What are their geo-handles?

How long have they been geocaching?

I'd love to throw my support behind a viable venture, but I ain't seein' viability here. B)

Can you provide more info for us hopeful skeptics?

My kids and I are TheFortuneFinders on gc.com. Cache On!

That makes more sense. The "Geo Mag" ID only has two finds (both social events) and I couldn't imagine someone with no actual caches logged trying to produce a caching mag. Your actual ID lets me get a better idea of who is making the publication.

Anyway...thanks, again, for the clarification.

:)

So, is it just you that is writing the mag? :unsure:

I can't help but notice that the two largest articles in your sample are of a personal nature: An under water cache that you are the last reported finder of and a story about a travel bug that belongs to you.... Where's the diversity? :unsure:

Are there ANY other writers? Who are they? :unsure:

Can you shed some light on the diversity of content in your future issues? :unsure:

Will you be selling single issues? :unsure: I will certainly buy a couple copies of the first issue.

I seriously WANT to see a printed geocaching magazine succeed and as I've stated earlier in this thread, my spider sense of impending doom was not tingling.... ummm, until now.... :)

Just callin' it like I see it. I wish you the best of luck. :)

The sample looks pretty good. On the positive side, I see ads which bode well for the future of the mag. Probably the biggest problem with Today's Cacher was generating revenue.

As far as the naysayers here, who cares who writes it? Who cares who is on the staff? If it's an interesting magazine that stuff is irrelevant to me.

Instead of putting it down based on a 6 page sample of a 60+ page issue, why not give it a chance? I really don't understand the antipathy.

I believe the sample was between 15-18 pages or just under a third of the mag. Sorry, I wasn't impressed. The bar has already been set. :)

Could I have done so well. Heck NO, but then I have no desire to publish a magazine and get folks to want to subscribe to it. :anibad: Someone else has already done better IMO and sadly, their effort failed... :huh:

What I desire as a consumer of this or any other attempt at a geocaching magazine is diversity and stories that consistantly hold my interest. I looked over the sample in magnifed mode twice a in unmagnified mode 3 or 4 times. :unsure:

Sorry, I saw none of that in the sample pages. B)

As for antipathy, I believe the totality of my posting to this topic's many pages will show no such animal. I started to scold Jerry and stopped. He and TAR are just speaking from experience which may be of some help.

My experience also counts. I lost $30+ in subscription fees and received exactly ONE issue of TC in the mail.... I'm not bitter about that. Jerry & Company put forth a valient effort and turned out first class if narrow perspectived (IMO) magazine which I was happy to support.

I'm as yet to be convinced on this one though. Hopefully, I have been constrctive enough.

Nope. No antipathy here. Just hopeful optimism turned south at the first example and now I'm a hopeful skeptic. :mellow:

How does a 32-64 pager full color sound for about 4 bucks an issue until ad pick ups? No subscription, just maybe an issue to issue to start. I could pull it off with friends who are comic book publishers and it'd be interesting. Interviews from people here (spotlights, tips and such) and spotlights on nature itself. Not saying I'd do it but it gives me thought to.

I'd love to work smaller numbers but in publishing content is king. Content brings readers, readers attract advertisers and the prices get lower.

Edited by fishdirt

How does a 32-64 pager full color sound for about 4 bucks an issue until ad pick ups? No subscription, just maybe an issue to issue to start. I could pull it off with friends who are comic book publishers and it'd be interesting. Interviews from people here (spotlights, tips and such) and spotlights on nature itself. Not saying I'd do it but it gives me thought to.

I'd love to work smaller numbers but in publishing content is king. Content brings readers, readers attract advertisers and the prices get lower.

I don't want to be negative here, but take some advice from someone that has been there and done that, don't try. That is unless you have very very deep pockets. There is more to publishing a magazine than meets the eye.

There is building a team to begin with. I haven't seen any evidence of this with Geocachers Magazine. The team I built with Today's Cacher could reach deep into the community. We knew anyone who was anytbody in the caching world. We had a great partnership with GC.com We had a awesome readership. Our web site averaged over a million hits per month in it's hayday.

The bottom line is that we failed when we try to go hard print. Publishing costs are very expensive, but what's more expensive is advertising your magazine. If anyone just feels the compulsion to try this, I ask that you contact me first.

El Diablo

Oh I believe you but I'm one of those been there done that folks. I should explain a bit.

My background in publication is in comic books. I was an illustrator and only got published twice before a big artistic burn out (long hours of drawing are a no no and by long I mean every minute your awake) but because of this and the networking and contacts I made I learned a lot and currently know a couple successful comic book publishers in the small press.

The thing is separating the online from the hard copy. Having the same stuff in one magazine and on online is kind of self defeating.

Gearing the book solely on cachers is a big no no. Niche markets on non profit things are a marketing nightmare. Look at what caching entails. There is no magazine I know of that is based on just camping. There are a couple hiking magazines. At least a trinity of related subjects is needed. Also calling it something caching is self killing as well. Not many people outside the community know about it. Something like "Nature and treasure hunting" (lame I know but I could add something nature and photo related as well).

Adding magazine exclusive caches (mystery caches here) would help.

Interviews with cachers (heck I'd have an advantage knowing the first cacher). Not overwhelming but categories such as nature cachers, power cachers.

Selling ad spots in small sections on the cheap.

Finding the right printer (man do I have a load of these, including those of major publishers, refrenced).

Imagery (caching photo of the month contest for prizes)

I mean, you have to give people a reason to buy the magazine. All the advertising in the world isn't going to help. Word of mouth is more effective and your starting with a base right here.

Overwhelming yourself is a problem too. Taking a hit in the first year is always a gimme.

I'd use networkers in various states as "reporters" and Cache hiders.

So much possible. If A DIY magazine selling for 14 bucks an issue can make it there is no reason a caching magazine can't.

I wouldn't say I'd do it but it seems interesting. I actually know the publisher of a pretty good selling art magazine called 'Sketch magazine'. I could talk to him about this and see what he thinks. He's got over ten years experience. I mean if your willing to give it a shot again I'd love to give my input and network you to people who could help, such as vet publishers.

But yeah, on the flip side, especially in small press, taking a hit is taking a hit and one too many could kill.

So much possible. If A DIY magazine selling for 14 bucks an issue can make it there is no reason a caching magazine can't.

That's sorta apples and oranges....

I can't be trusted NOT to destroy whatever I touch with a tool. It might be worth $14 to get the step by step of DIY instructions if my wife will let me touch her tools........ :) People don't buy DIY material to be entertained unless they are just sawdust or craft nerds. :)

However, there's nothing you can print in a geocaching magazine that's gonna help ME (or most folks for that matter) do it better. I (we) want to be entertained. I want to find out about places and caches of interest, outstanding members of the caching community, new equipment, the old days, what the future might have in store for our sport, other geocache listing services, alternate uses for my GPS, editorials, reader letters & opinions, community submitted content, etc.

A geocaching centric magazine must reflect the ENTIRE diverse community or it will fail as all previous efforts have failed. IMO....

That's sorta apples and oranges....

I can't be trusted NOT to destroy whatever I touch with a tool. It might be worth $14 to get the step by step of DIY instructions if my wife will let me touch her tools........ B) People don't buy DIY material to be entertained unless they are just sawdust or craft nerds. :)

However, there's nothing you can print in a geocaching magazine that's gonna help ME (or most folks for that matter) do it better. I (we) want to be entertained. I want to find out about places and caches of interest, outstanding members of the caching community, new equipment, the old days, what the future might have in store for our sport, other geocache listing services, alternate uses for my GPS, editorials, reader letters & opinions, community submitted content, etc.

A geocaching centric magazine must reflect the ENTIRE diverse community or it will fail as all previous efforts have failed. IMO....

and I totally agree with that. When there is nothing left, however, then it's done. I'm sure an interview with a magellan or e trex tech or engineer might yield some tasty tips no one knows about or a repair guide to gps units past warranty. Gotta look in the nooks and crannies. Of course telling you what you should take with you on a cache is redundant. Like I said, you gotta make readers want to read and if you just spout the same stuff they can find online through here then you've already lost. Caching is so all encompassing to the outdoors...you got photography, camping, hiking, history.

Here's an example. Check out bluff or another poker magazine. Of course they sell millions but what could they possibly tell poker players what they don't already know?

Oh, and the DIY magazine is for tinkerers, not crafts and woodworkers. It's called Make Magazine. Lot of make electronic things out of garbage on the cheap type stuff. Popular mechanics is a DIY in the same vein but tons cheaper. Both are filled more with news in the art and tech world (I'm sure geocaching may have even been mentioned in it) then projects. Nerdzines if you will :)

I don't want to be negative here, but take some advice from someone that has been there and done that, don't try. That is unless you have very very deep pockets. There is more to publishing a magazine than meets the eye.

There is building a team to begin with. I haven't seen any evidence of this with Geocachers Magazine. The team I built with Today's Cacher could reach deep into the community. We knew anyone who was anytbody in the caching world. We had a great partnership with GC.com We had a awesome readership. Our web site averaged over a million hits per month in it's hayday.

The bottom line is that we failed when we try to go hard print. Publishing costs are very expensive, but what's more expensive is advertising your magazine. If anyone just feels the compulsion to try this, I ask that you contact me first.

El Diablo

As a business owner for my entire life, I cannot imagine why someone would not seriously consider what Diablo is saying. This person has walked the path and fought all the demons that are hiding in the bushes before you. From a readership vantage point, I also happen to agree with him. Give me my information online, fast, and may no trees die in the process. The hard copy is of no interest to me and I consider that yesterday's media.

El Diablo

As a business owner for my entire life, I cannot imagine why someone would not seriously consider what Diablo is saying. This person has walked the path and fought all the demons that are hiding in the bushes before you. From a readership vantage point, I also happen to agree with him. Give me my information online, fast, and may no trees die in the process. The hard copy is of no interest to me and I consider that yesterday's media.

and oddly enough magazine sales are up from ten years ago with many publishers citing their websites a waste of time.

I paid by American Express, and if I do not hear anything encouraging from them by Sunday, I shall be contacting American Express and alerting them of a fraudulent charge due to product not being delivered.

Well I lied;

I decided to pull the plug yesterday (Friday) instead of waiting any longer. That is the nice thing about a credit card; they promptly refund your account and conduct an investigation after. I am sure American Express will agree with me and that will be the end of this matter. I had hoped I was supporting a legitimate publication here; and maybe their intentions are good; but until I see something from them, I am done with them.

Sometimes walking away is the smart thing, but nobody ever accused me of being smart, so I will step back up and offer to help if you will help me. :)

I offered many posts ago to stand up a free geocaching web magazine. One with no agenda, no platform to promote, no profit desired, just a friendly fun place for folks to share their stories and interests.

I got bogged down in the cost and learning curve of how to publish a magazine. Most of the ideas I explored had to do with expensive software and learning a whole new trade. I'm retired - I don't want a new 'job'!

I still think that idea is viable. I don't think these forums are the place to do it, for several reasons.

I don't, however, really know how to do that, but surely together we can figure it out!

I have had numerous people offer to help, so I know that I have a support team that can be pulled together... I haven't done so because I haven't had a strategy to offer them!

Worse, a hard drive crash lost all of my old emails, so anyone who offered to help outside of these forums is lost to me. I know that El Diablo, Pyewacket, GeneGene, Thedaviesnisus and numerous others have offered support in these threads or via PM - if you offered by email please send it again! In fact you can save me from having to scour every post in this thread for your names (please!) and send me an email if you have something to offer!

Some of you sent articles for submission, which I never did anything with and likely lost in my email debacle; please send them again and I will see to it that your work gets published.

At this point there is nothing to help with aside from submitting content, but if this flies I will need help editing and controlling it so that it doesn't devolve into just another forum and will be calling on you volunteers for that.

Tentative plans, unless someone has a better suggestion:

I know nothing about publishing tools and can't afford to buy software or hosting, so in the vein of keeping it simple and free I will use software I already own hosted on an ISP I already have to get the ball rolling and see if anyone keeps pushing it along.

I have recently done the same thing for my ham radio community; I set up a free forum for hams to discuss anything radio-related. We've picked up 50+ members and almost no submissions! (www.W4AGA.com, or more particularly http://www.w4aga.com/forums/

I will run this one the same way - I will set it up and make it possible, it's up to you geocachers to make it happen by submitting articles! If you truly want a free geocaching magazine, here is your opportunity!

Unless and until someone proposes a better idea I will use VBulletin forums software, which is very similar in function to this forum. I see no reason that forum software can't be used like a magazine. For those who have the knowledge and software to put together a pretty article with pictures embedded I may post it as a file and let folks link to it, otherwise we'll work within the confines of text and image posting allowed by this software.

Anyone who wants to can publish an article as a forum thread.

Articles can be about anything under the sun that is geocaching related.

Posts will be magazine-style articles and replies and commentary directly related to that article will be allowed.

I will reserve the right to edit anything submitted to keep it family-friendly.

It's about geocachers sharing geocaching; articles posted along the line of "I hate micros/LPCs/ammo cans" that appear intended to create controversy will be deleted... post that stuff here if you have to say it at all!

If you want me to help you edit your article for readability (if that's a word!) you can send it to me, we'll work together to get it in shape such that it tells your story but doesn't reflect poorly on your writing skills - many of us have great stories to tell but don't have confidence in our writing skills... certainly I am no writer! That shouldn't keep anyone from publishing... We can work it out.

If and when we get enough submissions that I need help editing there have been a number of people offering to do that and I will call on them.

If and when there develops such a level of traffic that we need a higher level of service from my ISP I will solicit paid ads to cover that additional cost... I just don't see that happening any time soon.

I will begin to set that forum up tonight unless someone responds here and suggests a better approach today. That doesn't mean that we can't change course if a better solution come along down the road.

Yes, it's a forum software, and lord knows we have enough geocaching forums, but we don't have one like I am suggesting, where we use it as if it were a magazine.

Will this satisfy the need? Free, simple and up to y'all to make it interesting enough for folks to read?

Ed

205-914-6814

edmanley@bham.rr.com

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

before you get all excited, i had a look and that online mag from the survey company. it's nice and professional and i think it will do well.

Cool! I am not at all interested in re-inventing the wheel!

I certainly am not interested in competing.

If anyone can submit anything geocaching-related to that site and expect to have it published, if replies and commentary to published articles are allowed, if they'll help content submitters spell-check and edit, if it's free and it works, great... problem solved! :)

A few minutes ago, I got an e-mail update from Elisika Arango of Geocacher Magazine:

Hello Fellow Cachers!

The weather is beautiful here finally and I hope to be able to log a few finds this weekend. Before I dust off my GPS I wanted to update all of you on your subscriptions.

First off thank you for your enthusiasm, well wishes and support. We have been so overwhelmed by everyone’s excitement and willingness to help. It has been incredibly valuable because we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Talk about a learning curve! I suppose in a year or so we will look back and laugh (I hope)!

Well, the big question most of you probably have is what happened to the Jan/Feb Premiere issue. Our question of course is what happened to January and February. Based on how long this has taken we have decided to make the Premiere issue Mar/Apr instead. I am excited to say it will be in the mail soon and I will send all of you an email when it goes to the post office so you can start checking your mailboxes. You will still be receiving the Geowoodstock program as well. Because it has taken us sooo long and we are so appreciative of everyone’s patience we have decided to give everyone who subscribed before April 1st a free issue. Rather than 6 issues you will all be receiving 7 issues. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

We also want to let you know our website is in the process of being completely redesigned. We are very excited to have it go live and can’t wait for all of you to see it. There will be lots of opportunities for all of you to share your thoughts, pics and stories. Please check it in the few weeks and let us know how you like it.

We have met with the wonderful GeoWoodstock Committee and have lots of exciting plans in the works with them. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to meet many of you there. Please be sure to stop by and say hi if you are able to attend.

Thanks again!

Cache On!

Elisika Arango

Geocacher Magazine

550 W Plumb LN #444

Reno, NV 89509

Still waiting for my premiere issue ....

--Larry