GEOCACHING MAGAZINE

My first thought-

While Geocaching is the big one,why wasn't the name Cachingmagazine?To say Geocaching is to imply that it only deals with Geocaching.There's also Navi and Terra caching

The sport is called geocaching. Users of Navicaching.com and Terracaching.com also find geocaches. There us no implication that the use of the word geocaching only deals with Geocaching.com because it simply doesn't.

Technically "caching" could refer to some activities that have nothing to do with geocaching.

Ed, I think you are discovering what I tried to tell you way back in this thread. It's difficult to get people to follow through with submissions. You also stated you didn't want a staff if I remember right? Trust me...you need one. The larger the better. You need a team that not only has variety of talents, but ones with contacts. If you review the staff of Today's Cacher you'll see what I mean. Originally we had a Doctor (Atually two.), Lawyer, Proof Reader, a person experienced in newspaper reporting, a humorist, a dadgum good Web Master (Most important job!), and a talented manager (Me. <_< ). All of those people were well known and respected in the caching community. The combined resources, and contacts of the team was amazing.

Michael, You say you have enough material for a year? I have a hard time buying that, but then again I'm not sure what you call material or just how much material you plan on putting in an issue. You also want a printed issue. I hope your advertising background is good. I also had the dream of a printed issue. I'm still paying bills for that dream.

Like Snoogans, I believe that a printed issue is viable, you just need the right resources.

I wish you the both the best of luck and I'm more than happy to share any advice you care for.

El Diablo

It's difficult to get people to follow through with submissions.

Being a hands on middle management type and highly trained corporate stooge, I can honestly say it's hard to get intelligent people to do ANYTHING for YOU unless you get them to buy into what you're selling.

I've met a whole lot of geocachers and they all, for the most part, seem to be above average in intelligence.

Once you have the right formula for success in your venture the buy in will follow.

Jerry, TC didn't make it, but it DID set the bar for quality. To ignore that on the e-zine side or the printed side would be a mistake. You will be a great asset to both sides of this project.

No matter what, buy-in must be cultivated and maintained on both sides and your mileage may vary.

Michael, You say you have enough material for a year? I have a hard time buying that, but then again I'm not sure what you call material or just how much material you plan on putting in an issue. You also want a printed issue. I hope your advertising background is good. I also had the dream of a printed issue. I'm still paying bills for that dream.

Like Snoogans, I believe that a printed issue is viable, you just need the right resources.

I wish you the both the best of luck and I'm more than happy to share any advice you care for.

El Diablo

I gotta say I'm right with you there, but I'm cautiously optimistic. My spider sense really isn't telling me something feels wrong. I really WANT to see a printed mag and my first impression of the Geocacher Magazine webpage was exactly this; "Hoooo, with that kinda advertiser support this dog could hunt."

Content is another matter. I haven't seen any more than the teaser on the webpage. Without complete content, I'm forced to return to my cautious optimism. <_<

As far as Ed's effort goes, I'll submit something for HIM. Ed's a friend, so I'm already bought in that far. I'll dust off some stuff I was working on for TC on my own, or I'll try something new. I'm also a procrastinator of the first order, so I don't envision being the first to deliver something fit to publish. :laughing:

Ed, I think you are discovering what I tried to tell you way back in this thread. It's difficult to get people to follow through with submissions.

True, I put our AGA newsletter to bed after a year when I found lots of readership, lots of promises to submit, and myself writing all of the content!

Because of that I am taking an entirely different tack here - you folks will create the magazine with your submitted content, I will simply publish it! I have no interest in writing, nor talent, so if this thing flies it will be with geocachers at the controls.

You also stated you didn't want a staff if I remember right? Trust me...you need one. The larger the better. You need a team that not only has variety of talents, but ones with contacts. If you review the staff of Today's Cacher you'll see what I mean. Originally we had a Doctor (Actually two.), Lawyer, Proof Reader, a person experienced in newspaper reporting, a humorist, a dadgum good Web Master (Most important job!), and a talented manager (Me. <_< ). All of those people were well known and respected in the caching community. The combined resources, and contacts of the team was amazing.

I may have mis-spoken if I said that, it's one of the problems of building something on the fly in a public forum rather than form a committee operating in the background. This thing is sort of evolving through this thread rather than being planned! :laughing:

What I meant is that this will be a volunteer effort, no income, no pay, put out by these volunteers strictly for fun and love of the game. I in fact do have a 'staff' under that definition... a number of folks who have offered to help and do roles and tasks, including several of the Today's Cacher staff and others.

At this point, with little content, I am not taking up their time with organization and planning. If and when we get anything to publish I will create a forum, get these folks signed up, select roles and tasks, and publish who is involved in the magazine.

El Diablo

Thank you, you have been very helpful and supportive and I look forward to our continued working relationship.

Snoogans said

Being a hands on middle management type and highly trained corporate stooge, I can honestly say it's hard to get intelligent people to do ANYTHING for YOU unless you get them to buy into what you're selling.

That is the beauty of my approach, I hope - I don't want anything done for me! I want geocachers to do it for themselves! All I have offered to do is manage a group of volunteers to create a web site, do some basic editing, and publish whatever is sent in that is not aggressive and is family-friendly. There is nothing in it for me whatsoever. I think once folks see that we're trying to give them what they say they want, and that they are in total control of what they get, they'll be more willing to submit.

Plus, many folks are hesitant, most magazine articles are written by experienced writers and edited to perfection. I do not plan to do that. We will spell check and will work with the author on major grammar and construction, but want the writing left alone as much as is possible to reflect the unique personality of the cacher who wrote it.

We'll help any author look their best without putting our words above theirs.

I've met a whole lot of geocachers and they all, for the most part, seem to be above average in intelligence.

Once you have the right formula for success in your venture the buy in will follow.

I certainly hope you are right. Once they get the message that it's not my magazine, it's theirs, and it lives or dies by their work, I think they will invest their time in sending something.

Jerry, TC didn't make it, but it DID set the bar for quality. To ignore that on the e-zine side or the printed side would be a mistake. You will be a great asset to both sides of this project.

No matter what, buy-in must be cultivated and maintained on both sides and your mileage may vary.

We'll certainly try to live up to that standard!

Thanks Snoogans, your input and support continues to be invaluable! Now get to writing! :laughing:

I could see there being plenty of interest in a Geocaching magazine.

It might be a good idea to bump up PM fees to $35-$40 per year and include a subscription. This would guarantee circulation for the magazine, and would probably add incentive for regular members to make the shift to premium status.

As far as content to the magazine, I believe it should be open to submissions by Geocachers. I don't think there would be any lack of interesting material. It could even take the angle of a travel magazine of sorts... Geocaching New Zealand... I can see it now, haha!

It might be a good idea to bump up PM fees to $35-$40 per year and include a subscription. This would guarantee circulation for the magazine, and would probably add incentive for regular members to make the shift to premium status.

As far as content to the magazine, I believe it should be open to submissions by Geocachers. I don't think there would be any lack of interesting material. It could even take the angle of a travel magazine of sorts... Geocaching New Zealand... I can see it now, haha!

Sorry, I have no desire to pay higher PM fees just to get a magazine subscription, I like having the option of cancelling my subscriptions when I don't think a magazine is worth getting.

ahhhhh, ahhh, ahhhhhh! this is the single worst idea i've seen in a long time. not only do i have no interest in writing for a geocaching magazine, but i wouldn't read one, either. if my membership fee got bumped up to supply me with something for me to wrap fish in, i'd be majorly hacked.

IF (and that's a big "if") i were to want a magazine about geocaching, it would have to have professional grade writing and layout. in every issue.

trumpettruck's concept (with which you agreed exactly) was not optional. can you explain your plan, or do you just blow with the breeze?

trumpettruck's concept (with which you agreed exactly) was not optional. can you explain your plan, or do you just blow with the breeze?

You are quite right flask, and as for the part i highlighted, raising my PM fees for a magazine subscription would force me to cancel my PM, it is NOT an incentive. Subscriptions to ANYTHING must always be optional, or everyone will opt out.

My desire to start a magazine was somewhat sparked by my kid's (boys) subscriptions to Boy's Life magazine. A magazine for Cub & Boy scouts. They look forward to it every month. So I got to thinking how they (and I) might respond to receiving a magazine about geocaching since we love it so much!

When I renew my boys 'registration' each year at the scout council office, I have the option to add a subscription to the magazine. As "registered" scouts, they receive a discount on the subscription rate - much lower than if they were to subscribe after the fact or online "retail", etc ...

When I said "my thoughts exactly" I was referring to that "option" - never a "requirement" - my apologies if I misspoke (mistyped). I would love to offer discounts to premium members, former TC subscribers, etc ....

The "wind" I'm blowing with is what fellow geocachers tell me they want and are excited about. To date, I have 3271 emails in my "feedback/reply" file ... (that's just in the past 6 days) ... and less than 2% are of the "no thanks" variety.

Michael J

Geocacher Magazine

Edited by Geocacher Magazine

[quote The "wind" I'm blowing with is what fellow geocachers tell me they want and are excited about. To date, I have 3271 emails in my "feedback/reply" file ... (that's just in the past 6 days) ... and less than 2% are of the "no thanks" variety.

Michael J

Geocacher Magazine

While I wish you nothing but success in your venture, I will say that, speaking for myself, I don't think I'd ever subscribe to a geocaching magazine. I do like to read about the experiences of other cachers, which would make an on-line e-zine perfect for my tastes.

I enjoyed many of the article's in Today's Cacher, but from my viewpoint, their downfall seemed to begin when they decided to make it a "paper" magazine.

Geocaching is a dynamically changing sport, so would a paper magazine, with it's built-in delays, be the best avenue to entertain/inform the masses?

You seem to have thought of all issues and claim to have tons of content, so I again wish you the best. I will still be submitting my articles to TAR.

ahhhhh, ahhh, ahhhhhh! this is the single worst idea i've seen in a long time. not only do i have no interest in writing for a geocaching magazine, but i wouldn't read one, either. if my membership fee got bumped up to supply me with something for me to wrap fish in, i'd be majorly hacked.

IF (and that's a big "if") i were to want a magazine about geocaching, it would have to have professional grade writing and layout. in every issue.

Sorry to disappoint ya, but ours will be a free online publication of geocachers submissions, probably not even 'pretty' and certainly not "professional grade" in any sense of the term!

Hmmm - don't want to write for a magazine, won't read one, won't pay for one... exactly why are you in this thread?

You're not involved or even interested, by your very admission - move along, there's obviously nothing for you here. :laughing:

Hmmm - don't want to write for a magazine, won't read one, won't pay for one... exactly why are you in this thread?

You're not involved or even interested, by your very admission - move along, there's obviously nothing for you here. :(

:D Glad it came from you, because I was thinking the same :laughing:

edited: dang spell checker... :D

Edited by triptrick

My initial reaction to a magazine about a hobby I'm involved with is great, sounds good. But I've noticed over the last couple of years I buy less and less magaizines relating to other hobbies I have (RC airplanes, motorcycling, kayaking etc).

Hopefully, this magazine (s) might be the exception but I've found that the other magazines I've drifted away from don't offer much more than I can get participating in the related forums for that hobby. Now with digital cameras being so common, the threads have plenty of pictures. The advantage to the magazine is diminishing.

I'll be interested to see how these two approaches work out.

Good luck,

Jim

You're not involved or even interested, by your very admission - move along, there's obviously nothing for you here. B)

didn't you ask what people think? well, i'm telling you what i think. if the only voice you hear or want to hear are the ones who are in step with you, you have trouble waiting.

i kind of resent being dismissed.

on top of which, the post to which i was responding wasn't even you, but that guy who wanted to raise membership rates to cover a subscription. in my opinion, that's a terrible idea.

now move along, little person. there is nothing for you here. you were not the one being addressed. bother me no more with your small ideas and smaller comprehension, or all thy goods shall be confiscate and your head removed at my earliest convenience.

(nobody better write in to tell me that i've made an error in using "thy" and "your" in the same place. for a long time it was common practice to use them interchangeably. and "confiscate" IS a proper adjectival form, if somewhat archaic.)

Help!

Okay, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it, and all that!

I have some of the articles submitted converted to a web page, sorta, but am finding that this website-creation bidness is harder than it looks!

I have tried different software and methods, currently using Trellian, but I guess I am pretty thick!

Is someone willing to work with me on this first publication to get it into shape?

If so contact me via email or telephone - TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com or 205-914-6814

I would love to have this up for the MidWest GeoBash attendees to publish their experiences.

I have posted some of the articles on http://www.alabamaopen.net for those willing to work with this to see what kind of things we will publish and to give you an idea of what all is needed to make it a useable site (everything!).

The alabamaopen.net domain is actually for an event I am hosting in September, so as soon as I can afford to I will buy the domain GeocachersOnline.com and the mag will be named Geocachers Online Magazine.

Thanks for all who have submitted content and suggestions so far!

I wasn't following this thread.

I remember is started and thought it was determined that it wouldn't go anywhere as it had been tried before. So i lost interest and stopped reading it.

I watched as it grew but never looked.

Then it got closed.

Then i noticed a similar thread open again and that made me wonder.

I saw your post and didn't know if it was real.

I guess before i ask more questions i should just read the thread. :P:blink:

I guess before i ask more questions i should just read the thread. :P:blink:

Nah, no real reason to read all that history. It got temporarily closed due to my sarcastic response to what I felt was a harassing post, though I notice that post didn't get removed. It was reopened when I got suspended for my response. Such is life.

As far as questions, ask away.

The bottom line is simple - I am offering a free website where folks who want to share something, can.

That's really all there is to it!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

TAR...you are learning that the back bone of the magazine rest on your web master. Today's Cacher had a great one!

I'm a little concerned with this new magazine Geocachermagazine.com. They make it appear as if they have some really big name support such as....REI, Garmin, Coleman...etc. When in actual reality they are only posting links. I know this because I've been in contact with most of these pepole.

They support Geocaching...they are just not interested in buying ads from a geocaching magazine, nor sponsering them.

El Diablo

...They support Geocaching...they are just not interested in buying ads from a geocaching magazine, nor sponsering them.

El Diablo

They support that which sells GPSs. A neophyte magazine with no proven subscription base...there is nothing to sell them. However mainstream TV with some rather stupid ads, they seem to have money for that.

That tells me that this is not a dead end. Merely that the magazine would need to bring something to the table to catch their interest...and that may take some time.

But then, you know this.

TAR...you are learning that the back bone of the magazine rest on your web master. Today's Cacher had a great one!

I'm a little concerned with this new magazine Geocachermagazine.com. They make it appear as if they have some really big name support such as....REI, Garmin, Coleman...etc. When in actual reality they are only posting links. I know this because I've been in contact with most of these pepole.

They support Geocaching...they are just not interested in buying ads from a geocaching magazine, nor sponsering them.

El Diablo

REI does give money to geocaching groups from time to time. This I know. I'm in one of those groups and my wife is in middle managemet at an REI.

However, I have it on pretty good authority that they probably aren't buying ad space in a niche mag because geocaching isn't part of REI's core of Backpacking, Climbing, Hiking, Cycling, Paddling. They DO recognize that SOME caches encompass many of those elements, but there is no real chance that geocaching would be added to REI's core in the future.

Now, I still hope the mag takes off and I'm NOT concerned. I have nothing invested nor is the mag asking for investments, so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. :P

El Diablo

REI does give money to geocaching groups from time to time. This I know. I'm in one of those groups and my wife is in middle managemet at an REI.

However, I have it on pretty good authority that they probably aren't buying ad space in a niche mag because geocaching isn't part of REI's core of Backpacking, Climbing, Hiking, Cycling, Paddling. They DO recognize that SOME caches encompass many of those elements, but there is no real chance that geocaching would be added to REI's core in the future.

Now, I still hope the mag takes off and I'm NOT concerned. I have nothing invested nor is the mag asking for investments, so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. :laughing:

As to this post and the ones above it back to my last post, let me say this: GeocachersOnline Magazine as I envision it is not now nor will we ever be seeking support, donations, paid advertising or the like.

The concept behind GeocachersOnline is deceptively simple - a free service to the geocaching community by cachers who love the game. Cachers write content, I publish it on a web page, that's all there is.

Our structure is just as simple; all cachers are invited to send whatever content they like to me, TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com. If and when the level of submissions is more than I have time or interest to edit it will be forwarded to one of our volunteer editors who will check it for basic fit - family friendly and non-aggressive, coherent structure and spelling. After edit the submission will be returned to the owner for author approval of the edits. Once approved I will add it to our web page, which GeoWorms has kindly offered to host for free.

If I wanted a business I would not have retired and sold mine!

So that's really all there is to it. No expense, no subscription, no advertising: just geocacher stuff posted where geocachers can read it!

As to GeocachingMagazine.com, I know nothing whatsoever about them, have had no contact with them, don't know their plans, capabilities or desires - I just know that I wish them luck!

The question that started all this was "Should there be a geocaching magazine" and I think the answer is "Yes".

That said I don't care who publishes it, or if there are several to choose from.

I certainly am not intentionally entering into a competition for geocacher's hearts and minds or asking anyone to send me content instead of sending it to GeocachingMagazine, however the reality is that there is only a limited amount of material being submitted and many folks will feel compelled to choose one or the other to publish their work. I don't care which they choose, as long as they have an avenue to share their stories then the mission is accomplished! Authors are welcome to send their material to both GeocachersOnline and GeocachingMagazine... in fact I am willing to ask submitters if they want their work submitted to GeocachingMagazine as well and send it to them myself!

Anyhoo, I just drove in from the MWGB via Nashville and Sweetwater TN, making it an 850-something mile drive, and I likely am not being coherent.

When will GeocachersOnline actually be online? Soon, I hope! Please bear with me!

Has anyone really looked at the YouTube video shown on "http://www.myspace.com/geocachermagazine"? While it appears to show some information regarding the first cache hidden and the person who hid it, it clearly shows something that is not allowed by geocaching.com rules - using a pointy object to dig a hole for the cache to be hidden or retrieved! I can't believe this hasn't been commented on before this. These forums have been full of this very hotly debated subject in recent weeks yet it appears it is being condoned by some members. Am I missing something here?

Sorry, I know this is off-topic but if we don't pay attention to the details and contents of what is being proposed, we'll only "dig" ourselves a deeper hole...

Has anyone really looked at the YouTube video shown on "http://www.myspace.com/geocachermagazine"? While it appears to show some information regarding the first cache hidden and the person who hid it, it clearly shows something that is not allowed by geocaching.com rules - using a pointy object to dig a hole for the cache to be hidden or retrieved! I can't believe this hasn't been commented on before this. These forums have been full of this very hotly debated subject in recent weeks yet it appears it is being condoned by some members. Am I missing something here?

Sorry, I know this is off-topic but if we don't pay attention to the details and contents of what is being proposed, we'll only "dig" ourselves a deeper hole...

Excellent point. Despite the fact that this behavior seems to have caught on in some realms of pop culture, I personally never have the patience to take the time to look at the vast and growing compendium of tiring home-grown video clips on YouTube, and thus I had never viewed the geocachermagazine video, and therefore, I had no opportunity to notice that glaring mistake. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Barely in time for the Holidays, check out the long awaited Geocacher Magazine!

The perfect gift for any caching enthusiast! Whether its for you or an addicted fellow cacher. Gift subscriptions available at 25% off!

View the online sample at: http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=prrpt

then go to http://www.geocachermagazine.com to subscribe!

Don't miss a single issue!

Happy Holidays from the Geomag staff!

P.S. Bare with us, the "Take A Peek" link to the digital sample will be active from our web page in the next few days; when our programmer gets back from Christmas caching with his kids.

The perfect gift for any caching enthusiast! Whether its for you or an addicted fellow cacher. Gift subscriptions available at 25% off!

P.S. Bare with us, the "Take A Peek" link to the digital sample will be active from our web page in the next few days; when our programmer gets back from Christmas caching with his kids.

Congrats on the launch.

Is the six issues monthly? Bi-monthly?

Best wishes for your mag.

You mean you want people to pay to read your on line magazine? Take it from someone that has a little experience in this department....It ain't gonna happen. Also, your "long awaited magazine" came out years ago.

El Diablo

.... Bare with us...

You REALLY want me to get bare with you?

I think it's your soul they want bared, Vinny. And goodness knows you have enough of those.

Fitzymagicals, I resemble your imprecations! I never, never, never hoard souls. I want you to know, and I want the public to know, that throughout the pre-publication trial period for my Soul Cache, I have harvested souls of early pre-publication finders from the cache three times per day and delivered them promptly to the designated purchasing agent from the Satan Corporation (well, with the exception of that one funky soul that I sold to that little curio shop on the west side of Greenwich Village in Manhattan; they offered me fifteen times as much for the soul as did the Satan Corp....)

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

You mean you want people to pay to read your on line magazine? Take it from someone that has a little experience in this department....It ain't gonna happen. Also, your "long awaited magazine" came out years ago.

El Diablo

I think its an actual printed mag. It just has an online sample.

Is that correct?