How are you Managing?

Fluttershy

With the Flurry of all sorts of new Coins available...

I wonder how are you managing to keep up?

Me? Not so well... I've bought and bought and bought

and clicked and clicked on PayPal.

Now, all of a sudden... I've halted from buying... (Perhaps with GW5, my Money is in the Party

and The Party Coin)

I also have a Micro I'll have available. A little "Fluttershy Kiss" available for trade.

I'll post more when I get sample pictures...

How are you Managing with your Collection???

It is hard to keep up with all the new coins that come out. Seems like I blink sometimes and I miss something. It's so easy to go nuts and buy and buy and buy. We are sticking to a 'geocoin budget'. We are (and trying very hard to stick to it too) only buying 1 new coin a week. It's impossible for us to keep up with everything so we decided to limit it. :laughing: (Until we win a lottery or something. :grin: )And if we have bought something for a given week and another coin comes out that is a 'must have' for us we will wait a week and if it's too late then it will end up on our seeking list. Now if we only had a crystal ball so we knew what was coming out and when, we'd be all set. :grin:

Interesting question....

One really good thing about having too many coins available from the coin makers is not having time or money to see what's selling on Ebay. Another is learning to pace myself and not go for every pretty coin that twinkles in the light for me.

As for managing the collection.... a good database really helps. The simpler the better, IMO. And it also helps to have some kind of system for locating/sorting both the keepers and the traders.

Interesting question....

One really good thing about having too many coins available from the coin makers is not having time or money to see what's selling on Ebay. Another is learning to pace myself and not go for every pretty coin that twinkles in the light for me.

As for managing the collection.... a good database really helps. The simpler the better, IMO. And it also helps to have some kind of system for locating/sorting both the keepers and the traders.

Thanks for the helpful hints. I have bought almost everything that's glimmered, or even slightly

winked at me.

lol.

Time to pace myself... after GW5, and my UK Trip next Month...

My collecting is going OK. I'm only looking at personal and events right now, so I can cut through the volume fairly quickly.

The problem I'm anticipating is difficulty in sales for a new coin that will becoming out in the near future. Personally, I think it will be unique enough to stand out from the crowd, but you never really know what folks will be looking for next.

(keeping fingers crossed)

ditto - I did a flurry then added up what I had bought - oh dear. So yes I now have a budget, or rather a guideline, until those magic numbers come in. I think this also makes the coins you end up getting a little more special than just going for all of them. At least I was able to draw a line at the spend and I could start the budget anew from there rather than having to go into arrears and be in catch up. I wouldn't be buying a coin for a long time if that had been the case.

Sue

Excellent Topic. Right now I have over 500 activated and over 1500 coins total. IMO since most of these are limited editions in the grand scale of things...compared to Franklin Mint and other such coin producers there will always be a collectible value on them. New cachers daily and more to come every day should feed the collectibility of the coins. Most have a story or a really speific meaning (bar a few) and I love sharing them at parties, events and even non-cacher venues as I have found everyone seems to enjoy them. KEEP 'EM COMING, they're too much fun.

I'm not doing so well.. I am a geocoin junkie and am already going through withdrawals even though I got 3 bad mojo v2 coins in the mail yesterday. Aside from the small amount of trades I will be doing, and the pre-ordered coins I am awaiting, I will go the whole summer without purchasing a single coin. :laughing: I really need to win the lottery to support my habit... :grin:

I have stopped buying (except for coins I have committed to) until after GW5. I expect to be doing a LOT of trading while there and why buy when you can trade? :laughing: . After GW5... well, we'll see... :grin:

CF30

Ohhh Sarah! I hope you have a Copper for me! (If not, I understand... PS, Ben (My new Love)

has a crush on your coins!

I have stopped buying (except for coins I have committed to) until after GW5. I expect to be doing a LOT of trading while there and why buy when you can trade? :grin: . After GW5... well, we'll see... :grin:

CF30

Ohhh Sarah! I hope you have a Copper for me! (If not, I understand... PS, Ben (My new Love)

has a crush on your coins!

I expect that we can work something out :huh::laughing: . I am looking forward to meeting you in person in a couple of weeks. My travel plans were finalized (mostly) earlier this week.

CF30

Hi Fluttershy and all. I just glanced at my paypal history :grin::laughing: nuff said.

Then I look over at my geocoin collection :grin::huh::huh:

It's not easy to cut back, but I guess I have. No longer maintaining a watchlist on ebay has helped. And I like to think I am being more selective on my purchases but... there are just so many kewl coins! I tell myself, "hey, if I buy em when they're offered or preordered, I'm really saving money because I'm not buying them on eBay!" And you can't limit yourself to one coin a month because they come in spurts and if your not in the moment they're offered, they're gone.

Aside from the spending, then there's the waiting. How can days go by between padded envelopes in the mail?

This forum helps me manage. :P

Aside from the spending, then there's the waiting. How can days go by between padded envelopes in the mail?

I had so many padded envelopes in the mail over the past several months, that my Landlady noticed, and figured that I could afford a higher rent.

:laughing: Another $100.00 I could be spending on Geocoins... *sigh*

I have had to limit myself to persoanls, events (love'em) and coins from places that we've actually been....except for the Calgary coin, which was too good a design to pass on... :grin:

Anyway, I have some coins in my "keeper" list marked for possible trades, have a look and see if we can make a deal!! :laughing:

I sat down yesterday to try to thin out my "misc category" coins. Funny thing is, out of three 3" binders full, I managed to weed out 16 coins I no longer want to keep. I already started to limit what I keep in this category about a year ago. So most of what I parted with was older than that and stuff I probably wouldn't have purchased today.

Once upon a time, I felt like I had to have them all (like they say in Pokemon...gotta catch them all!). Now, not so much. It has taken a lot of self control. Once I came to terms with the fact that I will never have them all, it wasn't too hard. I started to pick and choose which ones I wanted to pay $$ for, and which ones I might be able to wrangle a trade for. I do get a bit twitchy if I have a long spell with no padded mailers in my mailbox, but I'm doing better! :laughing:

I am doing better then when I started, but it is soooo hard....

all the ones everyone has mentioned are ones I want LOL not easy reading the geocoin forum...

I've cut back on clicking on "New geocoin" links... clicked one wanted to buy it... so made a vow not to click new topics.

This has helped me a bit, I've got a few people I've got to finalize deals with then I'm going to try to keep a budget (hubby has the final say.... hehehe he's almost as bad as me, but I gave him permission to change my paypal account password).

Off to look at all the pretty ones I want....

CA

Easy answer for this question ...

I'M NOT!!!!

I don't have that many coins yet, but I'm already having to do a lot of "electronic window shopping" ... watchlist on eBay, then miss the end of the bidding :laughing: ... load up the cart at C&P, then empty it :grin: ... load up the cart at LandSharkz, then empty it :grin: ... load up the cart at HogWildStuff, then empty it :huh:... you get my drift!

It doesn't help that I'm unemployed and not looking hard enough! :huh: I think if I'm lucky enough to get to GW5 it'll be the last long trip I'll be taking for a while. :P I'll probably go crazy in the meantime!

With that said, I can't give it up completely!! I ordered a bunch of Crikey! coins and a few Compass Roses when they went up at C&P on Sunday, and felt lucky to get them.

Happy Trails,

I judge how I am doing by how far behind I am getting my coins photographed and presented online. Right now I have 526 online, which means I am 145 behind. A month ago it was less than 100 waiting in the wings.

I am *mostly* limiting myself to personal coins. And anything from Canada. And a few other things. All righty then....

GEESE'O'PETE! Its not just me breakin the bank here! We are all in the same boat! :o

Too many coins, too little money! Although Im sure Castleman would say Yeah Right! He knows how Coin Crazy I am! Ive got I think 4 packages from him recently and another comin soon!

Even Despite having a large sum of money ripped off that was supposed to be for rent and parts, I still placed I think 4 orders since then! :o:o ...What a Dork I am!

It is really hard for us to cut back on coins, as silly as it sounds, its so true...We are all a bunch of Obsessed Geocoinicker Dweebs that would rather buy a cool coin or 5 (Just because it wont be available next week) Than feed the Kids or pay the rent!...its not on purpose-We just cant help it :o:o

I think I will allow myself a Budget as others have done, I also find myself getting way too many as traders, Prizes Etc. (I already gifted 2 Caching bugs 1 silver and 1 LE and bought 2 more to make up :o )

Keepin up with coins these days is somethin else! I must reform!!!

I am trying to buy only the coins that really grab me but the problem is, a lot of coins grab me! I don't have a huge budget for coins so it is stretched all the time. I do pretty well for a couple weeks and then something comes along that I really like and there I go again! Another phenomenon that I am experiencing is buying at least two coins so I have one for my collection and one as a trader/seller/traveler. That alone doubles the coin budget but yet in the long run, it all somewhat averages out since I eventually trade/sell my doubles. This is a very addictive hobby and I will continue to participate until such time as I either get bored, I can't afford it or all the ideas for coins have been done. LOL

I only started collecting in Late October of 2006... and I've bought way too many Geocoins...

Is that possible? You can't have too many geocoins, can you? :D:o:o:o:o :o :D

I realize that this says more about me than I probably want anyone to know, but when I went over-limit on the Discover Card, I found it very easy to stop buying geocoins! :o Amazing what a $39 charge can do to cure one's addiction :D Actually, I had already started to cut way back, as they were coming in faster than I could activate the darned things, but now I'm on a "low-coin diet" :D I set aside a little reserve for a couple of coins that I knew were coming that I really wanted, or that I knew Sharon would like. But between now and September, I don't figure to buy much of any coins, as we need to have some room for our trip to Yellowstone in September. And that is more important than any hunk of base metal painted up all pretty :D Hope all you folks at OakCoins and HogWildStuff and CastleCoins and... and... and... will understand :D

I have spent way too much in the past month and a half on coins. After deciding to get my own coin made, I couldn't pass up a few cool looking coins while waiting for mine to come in. This obsession will put you in the hole quick if you don't get control of it. I need a meeting or something to go to. At least then I could trade face to face. LOL

I have G.A.D.D. (geocoin attention deficit disorder) so my collection is actually kinda small. I end up keeping personals, gifts and event coins. The others I tend to trade, sell or give away.

I noticed some huge collections on the coin collection websites. Something like over 50 people with 500 or more coins they have in collections! :o

I have only been collecting since December and I am in way over my head. :o:o

I often think I should just release them all and be done with it. :o

At this point I just need to cut way back. We are supposed to be saving to build a house and I am not helping. :o

We've backed way off. It's sort of like we O.D'd on all of the pretty stuff coming out lately. A lot of the geocoins being produced during the last year are down right ugly!

One post stated that the LE and XLE geocoins will hold their "value." We don't think that will be the case. We really enjoy collecting geocoins but don't kid ourselves as to their future value. We display state geocoins on our desk along with a few country ones. The coin holder books we store under the bed but bring them out for events when we feel that attendees might want to make a discovery.

We feel that our most "valuable" ones are the earliest ones produced--whether state, personal or event geocoins. That reflects geocaching history from the start. We consider ourselves lucky to possess three or four of the "big ones." We treasure the personal geocoins that we have traded with geocachers that we know or have met.

Edited by Cog&Gil

Another way to cut down on your incoming coins...

Make your own, but don't make it trackable. It's amazing how many people won't trade for a non-trackable coin. Even if you make them trackable, you'll find it WAY cheaper to have 250 coins made, than to buy 250 coins from the various sales.

I started way back in 2002, and back then it was easy to keep up with the coin releases. Back then, every coin seemed like a must have. They were nowhere near the cost of todays coins. They were all great looking and gave a great representation of geocaching. Now it's best to find you niche in geocoins and go with that. Unless you've got a trust fund or are a recent lottery winner, there's just no way to keep up with every coin.

I started way back in 2002, and back then it was easy to keep up with the coin releases. Back then, every coin seemed like a must have. They were nowhere near the cost of todays coins.

2002? I don't recall any coins be sold that far back? :ph34r:

Unless you've got a trust fund or are a recent lottery winner, there's just no way to keep up with every coin.

And even then it's still hard! :)

Demand bears what the market will deliver and if the demand lowers so will the market.

Edited by avroair

Like most others, when I really got into geocoins (January 2006) I bought a bit of everything, but after a while cut back to mostly Canadian coins. Still, I tried to get every Canadian coin in every finish available. I was able to do not too bad for a while, but now with so many new Canadian personal coins coming out in so many finishes I've slowly started letting go of that goal (too hard on the student budget). I still try to get at least one or two of each new coin, but I'm not as fervent about having every finish if there's more than 3 or 4. I also try to trade for as many as possible, but it seems like lately a bunch have been ending up on the credit card.

I'm looking forward to some trading at GW5, and seeing other people's collections. I probably have the biggest collection in my area, so it's rare to find someone local with a coin I'm interested in that I don't already have.

Canadian and Texas for a quick pair.... there were others.

Yeah I remember those, I put them in caches and they all got taken and kept! :ph34r: I believe the Canadian's were offered in 2002 since a friend bought a bunch. Texas was 2003 I believe.

Back on topic. I wonder how people are gonna manage at GW5? What would we guess 50,75,100 new coins being debuted at that event alone? :)

Canadian and Texas for a quick pair.... there were others.

Yeah I remember those, I put them in caches and they all got taken and kept! :ph34r: I believe the Canadian's were offered in 2002 since a friend bought a bunch. Texas was 2003 I believe.

Back on topic. I wonder how people are gonna manage at GW5? What would we guess 50,75,100 new coins being debuted at that event alone? :)

I've been playing a lot of poker lately, to build my bank. It's going to be all IN :)