Who would you pick?

Wow. I hadn't thought of that.... My husband and I had our first wills made out before our marriage license was even filed in the courthouse.

I guess I'd better talk to my best friend. She and I and all our kids go caching together. She hasn't put any out because she finds a great spot and then discovers there's already a cache there. She would probably love to take over my two. Maybe there's a way to make her a co-owner of the cache for such an event?

I hadn't really thought about this in depth, either. Funny. My husband knows my password so I think I just thought in the back of my mind that he would take care of it.

But thinking about it now, I'm not sure how much he wants to deal with around 50 caches (guessing how much our whole family owns). I should write up an itemized list about which ones could be archived, which ones are the best and that I would like him to keep, perhaps Patudles could take some, etc. Thanks for getting me thinking.

Another thread got me thinking.....(dangerous huh?)

If you were to die - who would you will your cache hides to? (family, friend, group, etc)

Have you told anybody this or written it into a formal will?

Never gave it a thought. I'm sure my Texas hides would get adopted quickly. My Sister & her husband would probably continue to maintain my caches in the Easter Sierra. I'm sure folks would jump at the chance to adopt those too.

I'm always a bit uncomfortable thinking about things like this. For some reason, it reminds me of those supplemental insurance policy offers they used to make us bring home to our parents from grammar school - the ones that would promise to provide my parents with peace of mind knowing that they'd be able to receive $2,000 if I ever lost an arm, a foot, my left eye, and my ability to appreciate poetry in a single horrific accident.

So with respect to my meager collection of caches, being of sound mind and body, I choose to remain completely unprepared for this, and I'll let the chips fall where they may in the case of my untimely demise. You guys will just have to work it out without me.

I wouldn't try to will them to anyone. I figure if any locals wanted to adopt them, they would. Otherwise, they could stay until they went missing, or they could get archived and people could take the containers if they wanted. I don't feel strongly enough about them to try to cover them in a will.

I've thought about this briefly, no answer yet. But I have thought about having a grave marker that has a compartment for a log book so my wife can make it a cache...

LOL! I've thought the same thing!

Sadly enough...I'm in this club too... :laughing:

I would definately do this, if I wasn't going to be cremated.

I've thought about this briefly, no answer yet. But I have thought about having a grave marker that has a compartment for a log book so my wife can make it a cache...

Sadly enough...I'm in this club too... :o

Someone could sprinkle your ashes near a memorial cache in some beautiful spot. I've thought about doing this without the cache, but an ammo box and logbook add a cool dimension to that idea...

Dad was cremated but Mom still wanted a place to visit him so we built a memorial for him in the back yard and everyone selected something to go in it. Since he raised and hunted with dogs his whole life and built his own dog houses (far better than any you'll ever buy) I custom built a "doghouse" with a plexiglass front to hold the urn, two American flags and an enlarged photo of him holding a shotgun. You could easily add a logbook and make it a cache, if it was yours. I have a better picture of it on my notebook, all I have uploaded is this one, standing in the memorial looking out.

Oh, and so far all my hides are on my farm, so whoever gets the farm would get the caches.

Mwalk006.jpg

Hmmm, I may need a cache headstone with a bell in it!

In jolly old England lead cups were used to drink absinthe and whiskey. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a "wake."

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a "bone-yard" and reuse the grave.

When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the "graveyard shift") to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer."

Puts a whole new connotation on replenishing a graveyard cache!

Well When I was at Geocoinfest I hit up quite a few Bikedog caches 1 month after his years passing. I noticed that nobody had adopted his caches...and I think it is better that way. Even though you may leave the name as placed by...you couldnt access it by their user name anymore if someone adopted it.

For example if you were lookin for Bikedog caches and they were adopted, then no one could find them under his name.

I would say that the locals would do a good job maintaining the caches...I know I replaced one of his caches with 3-4 DNF's and offered the new cache to anyone who finds the Original... if its there!

Maybe you could leave your password in the will so someone could modify the page just a little to let everyone know the current status of the owner.

I think I would want, if anything... a designated maintainer for my good ones...wait they're all good!...Someone could adopt my adoptions though, that would be better.

Someone could sprinkle your ashes near a memorial cache in some beautiful spot. I've thought about doing this without the cache, but an ammo box and logbook add a cool dimension to that idea...

Yeah, my plan is to have my husband sprinkle my ashes at our favorite spot on a special river we've been spending time at since we were teenagers (same thing if he dies). Unfortunately, it's not a spot that can have a cache, but perhaps there's someway to make a waymark out of it. :o

Dad was cremated but Mom still wanted a place to visit him so we built a memorial for him in the back yard and everyone selected something to go in it. Since he raised and hunted with dogs his whole life and built his own dog houses (far better than any you'll ever buy) I custom built a "doghouse" with a plexiglass front to hold the urn, two American flags and an enlarged photo of him holding a shotgun. You could easily add a logbook and make it a cache, if it was yours. I have a better picture of it on my notebook, all I have uploaded is this one, standing in the memorial looking out.

Oh, and so far all my hides are on my farm, so whoever gets the farm would get the caches.

<snip nice picture for space>

That's a sweet thing to do. :o

I figure if I die, then the geo-community is going to know about it. Eventually the reviewer will know that I am dead. So when my caches start to get "needs maintenience" logs and I haven't done anything about them, he is going to put them up for adoption for others to take care of.

This may need to be a feature implimented onto GC for every account to take advantage of if they so desire......A GEO WILL! So, to activate the "Geo-will" you will type in someone's Geo account nickname and click submit...then you don't have to worry about it for as long as you shall live. Their will be a confirmation email sent out to the party chosen to adopt your caches in the event of your "departure," but all they do is select "I accept" and everyone goes back to their normal caching duties.

I'm not planning on taking off any time soon. I only have one cache that generally doesn't need much attention and I'm sure that if it did and I weren't to respond it would end up getting adopted.

On a similarly morbid side note, I wonder if anyone who gets cremated would will that a small portion of their ashes be permanently sealed in a Bison Tube and sent off as a TB to continue their caching adventures from beyond. I suppose you could use hair too if you prefer burial to cremation.

On a similarly morbid side note, I wonder if anyone who gets cremated would will that a small portion of their ashes be permanently sealed in a Bison Tube and sent off as a TB to continue their caching adventures from beyond. I suppose you could use hair too if you prefer burial to cremation.

There's at least one TB with a portion of someone's ashes now. Not sure if they were a cacher, or just a relative who liked/wanted to travel.