Logging Did Not Finds

stites1

Just to let all the other newbies out there know, it really is helpful to log a DNF (did not find) on the caches webpage if you searched and failed. My son and I went looking for a cache near home a few night s ago and couldn't find it. I logged a DNF that night and the owner checked on her cache. Turns out it really was missing. Now she can disable the cache until it is replaced. Everyone wins.

Some novices are afraid to log DNFs because they aren't skilled finders yet and think it will cause the owner to check on the cache unecessarily. Most cache owners will not check on their cache until there is a pattern of DNFs (2-3 in a row), so don't worry that your DNF will send the owner out looking.

As a cache owner I wish more people would log their DNFs. They tell me either that the cache might be missing, or perhaps that I might have rated it too easy, but I'll never know unless people log 'em.

We had one yesterday in an attempt to be FTF. We looked high and low for the thing without any luck. We found a ton of places where one could have been placed and even one location in particular that stood out as odd and was most likely it but no find. We're waiting to see if it's actually found.

Whenever I have a DNF, I add that cache to a Bookmark list I created for "My As-Yet-Still-Unfound-DNFs." That way I'll get the logs when someone else doesn't find it, or when someone finds it, or when the owner Disables it or Archives it because it was missing . . . :o

Some of the caches on that list are from road trips I took, so I'm not likely to ever find the caches, but when I get a notice that someone found it, I remember back to the time I searched, and searched, and searched, and how much fun I had on the trips. :o

I think DNF's are as important as an F. If you didn't find it, the owner needs to know about it. There's no shame in not finding a cache since, as often as not, it's not there to be found - it's gone. If it was there but you couldn't find it, maybe the difficulty level is off or the hints need to be better or whatever. A good log - DNF or F - needs to be accompanied, IMO, with comments about the area the cache was in along with the actual hiding of the cache.

This is very important in Poland, since a lot of cachers have only cached here, have only found 10-30 and have placed 3-10 caches. A lot of the caches are absolutely ridiculous, but that can be said for a lot of caches most places. Detailed comments in the logs are important, IMO.

Edited by Exocet

I wish more people did log DNFs. As a cache owner, it raises a red flag that there might be a problem. On the other hand it also brings a smile that you hid it real well. Today I had a list of 17 caches I was trying for. I found 15, DNF'd one and left a note on one that I couldn't even look because of a large white water kayak event going on. When I DNF a cache I also add it to my watch list. If it really is missing it gives me a warm feeling that I was right. If it is found - well, then I have to try again and in some cases again and again :drama:

Edited by geospyder

I agree with all that has been said here.

Logging DNF's does alert a cache owner that ther MAY be a problem.

I think most cache owner would note if the DNF'er was a newbie or not to weigh wether or not it was time to check on the cache.

It's also fun for all to read who has logged dnf's.

I know I sometimes get to meet new people when I log dnf's because occassionally, someone offers to help!

Whenever I have a DNF, I add that cache to a Bookmark list I created for "My As-Yet-Still-Unfound-DNFs." That way I'll get the logs when someone else doesn't find it, or when someone finds it, or when the owner Disables it or Archives it because it was missing . . . :ph34r:

Great idea. I just went and created a similar bookmark. I for the most part wrote off my DNFs. I now see that a few of the caches have been found and gives me motivation to try again. I also noticed that 3 of my DNFs prompted the owner to check them out and they were temporarily archived for maintenance.

Thanks for the post!! :P

Some novices are afraid to log DNFs because they aren't skilled finders yet and think it will cause the owner to check on the cache unecessarily. Most cache owners will not check on their cache until there is a pattern of DNFs (2-3 in a row), so don't worry that your DNF will send the owner out looking.

As a cache owner I wish more people would log their DNFs. They tell me either that the cache might be missing, or perhaps that I might have rated it too easy, but I'll never know unless people log 'em.

So agreed! In fact we were honored; recently had a 2nd DNF on a multi in which the owner didn't check the last time (and indeed was still there as someone had found since) but I think they figured we are now "experienced" enough that they checked (still there again :ph34r: ).

A person with "similar experience" to us just logged a DNF to one of our caches and we're going to check today. Unfortunately, we think this one is gone because it's a fairly easy find and he logged a find on a much tougher to find cache of ours in the same park about 1/4 mile away.

I agree that everyone should log there DNF's but some folks pride tends to gets in the way. Got to tell you I've logged my share of DNF's and will continue do so as long as I'm caching. It one of the best tools to alert a cache owner that there might be a problem.

I always log my DNFs and wish everyone would do the same as a cache owner I will check on the cache

after 2 or 3 DNFs to make sure its there or replace it.No shame in logging a DNF on any cache I have 7 DNFs on one cache waypoint GCNRB1 before I finaly found it a year later :(

I always log my DNFs and wish everyone would do the same as a cache owner I will check on the cache

after 2 or 3 DNFs to make sure its there or replace it.No shame in logging a DNF on any cache I have 7 DNFs on one cache waypoint GCNRB1 before I finaly found it a year later :(