Bearing pointer on 76csx

Just got back a replacement 76csx from Garmin....noticed today that there is no bearing pointer on the compass. Hitting "MENU" shows Bearing Pointer, I click enter and nothing happens. Anyone? Thanks.

Are you navigating to a waypoint? The bearing pointer points to the waypoint.

Just got back a replacement 76csx from Garmin....noticed today that there is no bearing pointer on the compass. Hitting "MENU" shows Bearing Pointer, I click enter and nothing happens. Anyone? Thanks.

Yes, there is no POINTER and I can not enter Sight and GO as well, greyed out.

Turn on the compass.

Turn on the compass.

Compass is on.

Turn on the compass.

Compass is on.

Please confirm. Have you tried to goto and selecting a waypoint?

i have the same thing with my 60csx. when i goto waypoint there is no pointer,its like its not seeing the waypoint at all,there is no info on the compass page, anyone else have this happen to them, i can turn on the compass and off, still no luck!

I have periods when my pointer does not show but the distance changes. When it happens I reboot the unit. I know it's not the cure-all, and an annoyance, but....what else is there to do.

I have witnessed this behavior in a friend's 60CSX. Reboot was his only recourse.

Just got a reply from Tech...they want me to do a Master reset....so, I'll try that in a few minutes., I also, re-installed the software today, but it did not solve it. Also, with the compass screen, if I hit MENU, there is the option for Bearing or Course, selecting either one did nothing., I just can not remember, but, I thought my other 76csx had a pointer without selecting a waypoint, and behaved like a regular compass.

Just got a reply from Tech...they want me to do a Master reset....so, I'll try that in a few minutes., I also, re-installed the software today, but it did not solve it. Also, with the compass screen, if I hit MENU, there is the option for Bearing or Course, selecting either one did nothing., I just can not remember, but, I thought my other 76csx had a pointer without selecting a waypoint, and behaved like a regular compass.

let me know how you make out with this, i may have to do the same thing, thanks

I was experiencing the same problem except I could recalibrate the compass and the pointer would work for awhile. Sometimes only minutes. I sent it back to Garmin, they sent me a new on which worked for awhile but started giving me problems just like the first one.

Later I cleared ALL waypoints and reloaded them and a couple of months have passed with no problem.

I surmise that I had at least two sets of caches loaded...some with 8 character names and others with 10. Of course I now had at least two waypoints located at the same spot.

I'd suggest trying the same thing...it worked for me.

There is not supposed to be any arrow unless you are navigating to some position. The arrow points to your target. Without any target, no arrow.

The whole compass rose will show you where north is, even when not navigating anywhere particular.

Even the compass rose disappears!

Only solution that works is to switch on/off or to recalibrate